Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Wk5 day2 completed yesterday in great weather
    The dreaded 20 min run next , does not seem half as impossible as it was a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Think one of the main reasons I was so unmotivated and tired on the last run (w3d2) was I was getting sick. That night I was up all night coughing and went to the doctor, have a chest infection. So going to have to take a break from this. When I have finished the antiobiotics, do you think it would be ok to start again where I left off or is that too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

Try it and see how it goes Monife. Main thing is to get well first. I was back tonight after 2 and a half weeks out with injury and did a 20 min run like W5 D3 even though I was on W7 D3. Felt fine so will aim for 23 mins next and then 25 mins to get back to W7 and take it from there. The main thing is not to get disheartened. You can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cleo87

Me and my boyfriend just started the c25k last night, really enjoyed it! :D Thinking about going out again tonight, Is it bad to go out 2 nights in a row? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Cleo87 wrote: »
    Me and my boyfriend just started the c25k last night, really enjoyed it! :D Thinking about going out again tonight, Is it bad to go out 2 nights in a row? :confused:

Why not just go for a small jog tonight? You don't need to do the C25K until tomorrow again :)

• Advertisement

Colibri wrote: »
    Why not just go for a small jog tonight? You don't need to do the C25K until tomorrow again :)

Good idea :) we must get better shoes too, can see my feet taking a battering otherwise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'd suggest just going for a walk tonight. Give you something to look forward to tomorrow night and get your legs moving. If you can, try to get into a routine of going every second night or as your program suggests. (Says he who failed miserably to establish a routine :D)

At this stage it's probably a bit early to decide that it was easy enough - two nights in a row will have a telling effect on your legs by tomorrow if you haven't been in regular exercise.. If you feel that it was easy enough or even too easy why not just wait and start on Week 2 tomorrow and continue from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

W3d1 today, last run was wed. So bit of a break
    I completed all the runs but at the end of the 3 minute runs i could hardly breathe, felt like my windpipes were closing up!! He he

Big red face on me too! So proud to fully complete them runs!!

I'd suggest just going for a walk tonight. Give you something to look forward to tomorrow night and get your legs moving. If you can, try to get into a routine of going every second night or as your program suggests. (Says he who failed miserably to establish a routine :D)

At this stage it's probably a bit early to decide that it was easy enough - two nights in a row will have a telling effect on your legs by tomorrow if you haven't been in regular exercise.. If you feel that it was easy enough or even too easy why not just wait and start on Week 2 tomorrow and continue from there.

Thanks for the advice! We stuck with week one, day 3 will be done tonight! Looking forward to w2! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Thanks for the advice! We stuck with week one, day 3 will be done tonight! Looking forward to w2! :D

and try 2 keep up tonight will ya :p

• Advertisement

Clohane wrote: »
    and try 2 keep up tonight will ya :p

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

W6D1 complete this morning - I can't believe it, it seems like just the other day that I said I couldn't wait until I reached this stage and here it is now. Again, I'm really enjoying the sense of progress I'm feeling following the programme and I can't help but keep going after I've done the 20 mins. For the last couple of runs, I've covered 5.5km in just over 37mins. I'm actually looking forward to getting to the weeks when its just the warm up and then running :D. I also have to invest in a new pair of runners as I've an awful blister on my instep, but no gain without some pain!

noddyname wrote: »
    W6D1 complete this morning - I can't believe it, it seems like just the other day that I said I couldn't wait until I reached this stage and here it is now. Again, I'm really enjoying the sense of progress I'm feeling following the programme and I can't help but keep going after I've done the 20 mins. For the last couple of runs, I've covered 5.5km in just over 37mins. I'm actually looking forward to getting to the weeks when its just the warm up and then running :D. I also have to invest in a new pair of runners as I've an awful blister on my instep, but no gain without some pain!

Well done! We just finished week one and our delighted with ourselves..hopefully we'll make it to 6 weeks too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Week 9 Day 1 completed tonight.
    It took me basically a week to get back on track with training after the msbac 5k last Sunday! :eek: I was feeling the after effects for a couple of days, then just got caught up with work. Did a measly 2k on Fri night, but I figured it was better than nothing! Went back out tonight feeling full of energy and did my full 30 min run. Yay!:D So two more repetitions and I'll have finished the programme. Realistically speaking it'll probably be next weekend before that's done.
    Was almost afraid to go out tonight after the bad week I had but it was fine. I've never been this fit before and I keep thinking it's all going to vanish overnight if I'm not careful!! Guess it goes to show you don't lose anything so long as you don't lose hope :)
    Happy running and hello to all the people just starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Have not run for 2 weeks, had a cold, a sore back- (not caused by running) and finding it difficult to get running time. Had got as far as w5d1 but think I will go back yet again to w4 for a week. I seem to be stuck on w4, not because it’s too hard but due my inconsistency and missing too many days.

Week 2 started last night, didnt find it to bad at all. :) But i can feel it in my legs today...which i guess is a good thing! :D

After 9 days with no exercise due to chest infection, went out again today to repeat W3D2. Happy to say it was actually grand, apart from a little coughing and spluttering (still not fully over sickness, feel grand but chest is still at me, finished antibiotics yesterday).

Another thing, my legs were actually grand, a little tiny bit sore, which is expected as a newbie but I couldn't believe how good runners just make you feel soooo much better!!

W4D1 complete! Delighted with myself, was really dreading the 5 min runs, thought I couldn't do it, but I DID!!! The last 1 was killer though, had a mental argument with myself with wanting to stop but managed to keep going and finish it.

Really loving this now, and loving my new runners (although they are rubbing a bit but I am sure that will stop after a good few uses).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Good going Monife..! I'm after Week 5 Day 3 and it was tough but I enjoyed it! Looking forward to getting to week 6 and hopefully through to week 9. :)

I havent been able to do the last few days as I hav a sore knee :( Im hoping it gets better soon, or il be back at the couch stage! :D

• Advertisement

Had a really bad w3d32 days ago. not sure whether to repeat it or to go into w4d1?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go on into week 4 - no harm in giving it a try. Your previous run migt just have been one of those bad days that everyone gets.

Will give it a go!

Hopefully I won't collapse!

Quality wrote: »
    Will give it a go!

Hopefully I won't collapse!
    You'll make it. It's probably the most cheesy and overused line on television but you've just got to Believe in Yourself. If you're finding it too tough tone down the speed a notch; just because you don't feel you're going as fast as you should doesn't mean you should give up altogether. The speed will definitely come in time. :)

There have been occasions where I've slowed to near walking pace however I kept the jogging form to make sure I'd get there.

I've said it in another C25K thread but if I can do it then I certainly know that any other human being on this planet can too..! :)

It went really well today!

I think the problem with the last run was the half a case of heineken the night before! I got a stitch in the first 90second run that I could not shift.

Today webt great, Although my pace has slowed down a lot. But I am just happy to get it completed.

Hardest part is getting out the door!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

Hey guys
    have not posted in a while, but have been running adn built up my distance to 5k now, finding the urns really hard still but keepin at them albeit not religiously!
    Want to train for the mini marathon now so anyone got a 10k training plan thats goin to keep me motivated because i am seriously lacking in motivation these days?
    Running 5 in 42 mins ish, its very slwo i know so should i even bother moving on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here's a 10k training plan you could try.
    The more you run, the faster you'll get, don't worry about it.

Attempted Week 4 Day 2 yesterday but I was so tired and just really not in the mood. Only managed first 3 min run and then half of the 1st 5 min run and then walked home.

Going to try it again tomorrow. Was thinking I might get up at 5.30am and have a banana and then attempt it tomorrow morning because I do be so tired when I get home from work, even when it is not busy, the whole day just takes it out of you.

May be a silly question here but hope you'll help -

Upon (hopefully) completing C25K within the next three weeks I'm wondering what next step to take. I've been looking at B210k and also considering whether I should stick with the 5K and focus on speed/time before going any further.

At the mo I'm pretty slow. I'd run about 4.4k in 30 minutes. I'd like to be able to get that at least to 5k before even considering moving on to running 10k straight. Would this be a fair enough strategy?

• Advertisement

W4D2 complete. Went out at 5.30am this morning, when I was getting up, I was like are you mad!!! But when I got out, it was great, really fresh, dark, nobody around staring at you! Finished all the runs and I feel great.

I think this will be my new thing, couch to 5k in the mornings and on rest days walk in the evenings, I find I am too tired to run in the evenings, well most evenings.

Advertisement