Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 NimmyZ

I started C25K a few weeks ago and finished W6D2 today. Feeling fantastic. A colleague in work told me about this thread and I only wish I found it sooner.

OK so here goes - this place is pretty anonymous so here it is:

Short version: In January I weighed just under 20 stone and decided to do something about it. I joined WW and lost 3 stone on the eating plan alone without exercise. I could barely walk, let alone jog or even briskly walk so I didn't even contemplate exercise.

I realised one day after running after my little boy that... HOLY ****! I'M RUNNING!! Lo and behold after a chance conversation with a work colleague who is big into running marathons (FREAK, I thought at the time) he told me about C25K.

I started it on 1st June and since then have lost another stone. So that's 4 stone now in total and I can't even fathom how my whole attitude has changed completely to this exercise and keep-fit lark. I'm actually *gasp* enjoying it.

So, basically, srsly, if I can do this, ANYONE can.

I'm so new and green to this whole thing (I used to drive to the shop 60 metres away...) that I'm open to any and every bit of advice.

Here's to the next 4 stone and wish me (and everyone else here) luck! :o

Completed W6D3 just now. 25 minutes non stop running. I feel in shock that I was able to do it!
    I had to stop halfway through to tie my shoelace but I figure I only paused for about 20 seconds, if even, so I added an extra minute and 30 to the end to make up for it.
    I overdid it during the week by running 4 nights in a row, so I haven't done anything since Wednesday. I thought I wouldn't be able to manage today but it's like my body remembered and just kept going. I barely felt tired - now that I've learned the handy breathing technique of concentrating on exhaling.
    I kept my pace slow and steady, head up, shoulders relaxed, hands at hip level. I've found that I love running in the rain too. The wet keeps me cool. The route I go is very popular with whom I would class as 'proper' runners, but when it's raining it's deserted so I don't have to worry about feeling inferior or intimidated by people whizzing effortlessly past me.

One question though - what's the best thing to eat now? I'm not hungry, which I've heard can happen but I've also heard that you actually should eat something after a run to restore your blood sugar or electrolytes or mojo or something!

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Just on the second week of the program now and loving it. Glad to see that its helped so many people! :)

Feeling good. I saw a jogger ahead of me and I managed to keep pace with him so felt pretty good about it - I always think I go too slow. This proved to me that I wasn't shuffling but going at an ok pace.

If an experienced runner hadn't told me there'd be days like this I think I would have given up. Week 7 day 2. 25 mins. So hard. Couldn't get the rhythm, body sore, bad headache. But I did keep going for the full 25 minutes even though it was really slow. Feel awful and really dizzy. I think I'll rest for a few days :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hi,

I have just started this, just starting W2D1 tonight.

I done W1 twice, as there was no way i could run and talk :o

anyhoo, i hate, despise the techno music on my podcast, it there any podcast around with just the talking and you can add your own music to it ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't think a podcast will do that, but if you're using a smart phone there's probably an app.
    Or you could just try a different c25k podcast, you might like the music more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

irishbird wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just started this, just starting W2D1 tonight.

I done W1 twice, as there was no way i could run and talk :o

anyhoo, i hate, despise the techno music on my podcast, it there any podcast around with just the talking and you can add your own music to it ?

thanks
    The NHS podcast has less techno music on it, it's the most bearable of the ones I road tested.

Aside from that if you have an iphone and want to avoid paying for an App, get run keeper and it's very easy to program in your couch to 5k runs.

thanks, i dont have a smartphone

the NHS imho is worse then the amercian guy :o

i have found one with no music at all just talking but that might be a bit boring - i might see if any of my techi mate could do something with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

thanks, i dont have a smartphone

the NHS imho is worse then the amercian guy :o

i have found one with no music at all just talking but that might be a bit boring - i might see if any of my techi mate could do something with that.

Heya. I had the same issues when I started c25k and searched for ages. I found 2 sites with podcasts (in MP3 format) on them that have old chart music (like a few years old).

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/

Also, if you have a bit of time on your hands (a fair bit of time) you can make your own podcasts with the following software.

http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/download-audacity-and-the-lame-encoder/

You have to download some software and if you have the time, it is well worth it to listen to your own music. It gets trickier the more runs there are so it would be best suited to the later weeks. Also, like week 5 (and a few of the other weeks) each day is different, so this would be a pain when making your own cos you would have to make it 3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    I've decided to skip ahead as I've been able to complete 25 minute runs over the last few days. I'll stick at that for a while and when I build that up to 30 minutes then I'll look at the 10k plan and possible create my own log.

This programme was a big help for me as within a month it helped get me from being stuck in front of the computer/tv etc and not being able to run 5 minutes, to running 25 minutes and wanting to go out and do more and more running each and every day. I think I've caught the running bug now!

The fact that I used to be quite active and did play a bit of football etc meant that it didn't take me too long to get back into the swing of things once I got going, but without the C25K I wouldn't have made that step. Everyone progresses at different rates though so stick with it even if you're not encouraged, the results after the 9 weeks will be brilliant.

Good luck to everyone on this programme and keep it up! All the best.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop in to update my progress since I made the above post almost 3 months ago as it will hopefully serve as motivation for those currently doing this as to what can be achieved.

After making the above posts I stuck with 5K runs for a few weeks and then decided I'd move on to the 10K. It was a huge struggle at first, especially after being so inactive for such a long period of time, but I stuck at it and completed that.

I've recently completed my first 12K road race (in a time of 1 hr 5 minutes) and I'm running up to 36K a week. I've had numerous comments from people about how much weight I've lost and I feel great. I've adjusted my diet, stuck to the running, and it's going superbly!

I started the Couch to 5K programme in mid April and at that stage I could barely run 15 minutes without needing to stop, now it's the opposite - I can't stop running!

Keep it up and the very best of luck to all! :D

i get the most horrendous acid reflux when i am running - any ideas how to stop this?

along with a bad stitch on my left side ?

What/when do you eat before running?
    For a stitch, you could try concentrating on breathing out completely, and taking deeper breaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

Hey all,
    Loving this thread.
    I've been power walking (fast) for an hour 3 or 4 times a week so decided to give running a go. I have never ran before!
    Found Saturday (wk 1 day1) fine but recognised I was pretty red & sweaty after and how much more effective even 8 minutes or whatever it is of running is in comparison to walking!!!
    One question, my inner thigh muscles were killing me yeterday and are still really sore today. I did stretches after but am surprised at this particular area being so affected as opposed to calves/ shins or whatever??
    Should I go out today even though even walking hurts or wait another day? I really want to avoid injury as keen as to get into this!
    Also any advice on why this is so after only 8 minutes of jogging?
    I will increase the types of stretching I do to include thigh stretches or whatever but any advice is highly appreciated!

RayCun wrote: »
    What/when do you eat before running?
    For a stitch, you could try concentrating on breathing out completely, and taking deeper breaths.

i would have my lunch between 1-2pm (usually homemade soup) and run anytime between 6pm - 7pm.

its an evil pain, that goes right up to my shoulder (was a bit worried for a while, as the shoulder pain can be a sign of internal bleeding)

i would have my lunch between 1-2pm (usually homemade soup) and run anytime between 6pm - 7pm.

its an evil pain, that goes right up to my shoulder (was a bit worried for a while, as the shoulder pain can be a sign of internal bleeding)

edit just back from the run, and it went much better today one a very minor pain that lasted less then a minute :D

i have had two horrendous run and i wouldnt have finished them if it wasnt for my running partner keeping me going but today was much better.

i am really struggling with my breathing but i think it is because i gave up smoking two weeks ago, its just a case of battling through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

i am really struggling with my breathing but i think it is because i gave up smoking two weeks ago, its just a case of battling through :(

I cut down on smoking at the start of the month, went from 15-20 a day to 3-4. Im close to stopping completely. Im going to start week 2 tonight and im not having any real issue with my breathing, a bit of wheezing. You just need to really concentrate on your breathing, literally think about it going in and out. Between runs take nice deep breaths too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

Hi everyone
    This thread is great! so motivating! i've just finished week1 and starting wk2 tomorrow. I'm just wondering is it beneficial to do a few extra days for each week. Should I just run on the three days or is it helpful to do it most days with the odd rest day?
    I did the 3 days of w1 on wednesday, thursday and saturday. Should they have been more spread out?

Any advice appreciated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great to see so many people's progress in this thread, your all honestly doing a fantastic job. You'll have good and bad days but its all worth it :)

1holly1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    This thread is great! so motivating! i've just finished week1 and starting wk2 tomorrow. I'm just wondering is it beneficial to do a few extra days for each week. Should I just run on the three days or is it helpful to do it most days with the odd rest day?
    I did the 3 days of w1 on wednesday, thursday and saturday. Should they have been more spread out?

Just run on the three days. Better to stick with the plan and make consistent progress than to do too much too soon and run into problems.
    If Wednesday Thursday Saturday works for you, that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

ok i'll do that thanks! the a/r/t forum really is a fountain of knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

hello folks, I have a couple of favours to ask of you...
    I'm a complete beginner (again) to running so is there a 5k charity thing between now and christmas? I really need something to aim for.
    Can I link my running log thread to the c25k as mentioned in a sticky?
    Does my log really need to appear on the homescreen each time I update? I doubt anyone else cares what someone they dont know might have run.
    What should I watch out for? What are the common problems newbs encounter?
    Thanks for looking.

hello folks, I have a couple of favours to ask of you...
    I'm a complete beginner (again) to running so is there a 5k charity thing between now and christmas? I really need something to aim for.

Where do you live? There are loads of 5ks between now and the end of the year.
    Can I link my running log thread to the c25k as mentioned in a sticky?

Do you want me to add it to the Training Logs by Category thread? Or you can just post a link in here?
    Does my log really need to appear on the homescreen each time I update? I doubt anyone else cares what someone they dont know might have run.

Every time a thread is updated, it moves to the top of the forum, there's no way to change that. But that doesn't mean we all have to read it:D
    What should I watch out for? What are the common problems newbs encounter?
    Thanks for looking.

Going too fast - if you can't run for the length of time set in the plan, you are running too fast, and not establishing a solid routine of running three days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

I live in Limerick about a mile from UL, the track there is great. I can travel and found RunIreland.com, it has loads of runs of all types. I might try to talk my bro into a 5k with me around the end of September, he did the Dublin Marathon last year so he doesn't even break a sweat at 5k. I'll stick with my own thread actually, its more of a personal log than anything else really.
    Thanks for the advice about going too fast - it was spot on. I'm not really following a c25k plan so I'll focus more on lasting for the half hour for a few weeks but at a slower pace.

just update - flew through week 3 - actually shocked myself :eek:

but then i went on holidays, so going to start week 3 again tonight - not looking forward to it but am currently trying hydrate myself here in preparation for tonight

Is anyone losing weight doing this?

5 weeks in now and according to the scales I aint lost much. Probably a kilo at most but thats it although I must say I feel alot better and look like ive lost some weight but the scales say different. My diet is decent 5-6 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Dancor wrote: »
    Is anyone losing weight doing this?

5 weeks in now and according to the scales I aint lost much. Probably a kilo at most but thats it although I must say I feel alot better and look like ive lost some weight but the scales say different. My diet is decent 5-6 days a week.

Having completed the C25K and keeping the running up (I started in March, now doing 10k once a week), I have lost a lot of weight (about 10kg). So much so I need to put some mass back on.

The main thing I think is your diet. I cut out pretty much ALL the crap, no sweet stuff, no pizza, no sugary crap, no chocolate, butter, greasy food etc. No processed carbs. The weight did fall off.

Remeber a 5km run is going to cost you about 300 cals or thereabout (I know it's not exact). Thats the equivalent of about 1 mars bar or so. When I started running I remember thinking a take away pepperoni pizza on a Friday was ok, given I was buring so much running 3 times a week. Until I discovered I was probably taking in twice the amount I burned in pepperoni.....

Initially I started the running just for fitness, not to lose weight - that came later when I got a handle on the running. It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to lose the weight, running is the way to go, but you really need to be ruthless with your diet to make it happen.

How did people manage with a holiday in between C25K?

Ive made great gains in the past 5-6 weeks and dont want to lose any, I dont want to repeat any weeks or lose any gains ive made. Should I hit a gym while away and hop on the threadmill or do some street running? I dont really want to be fitting my asics in an already stuffed suitcase for 2 runs.

I feel if I miss any runs ill be set back or lose my motivation.

I've been out for about 3 weeks now with a knee injury sustained during football.

I can't wait to get back out there running in a couple of days, I've got so lazy and ate so much rubbish in these 3 weeks it will be great to get back in the routine.

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »
    How did people manage with a holiday in between C25K?

Ive made great gains in the past 5-6 weeks and dont want to lose any, I dont want to repeat any weeks or lose any gains ive made. Should I hit a gym while away and hop on the threadmill or do some street running? I dont really want to be fitting my asics in an already stuffed suitcase for 2 runs.

I feel if I miss any runs ill be set back or lose my motivation.

Have a break from running for a few days and enjoy the holiday. Use it as a reward for doing so well in the last 5-6 weeks and get straight back to the running when you're back from holiday.

Advertisement