Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Thanks RayCun.
    A few pints the night before so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Have finished the couch to 5k a few weeks, have been looking for a podcast for 5k to 10k, can't find any online. Can any1 here recommend a good 5k to 10k podcast that I can put on my ipod ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Disappointed in myself in that I could only manage 20 mins today. I think it might have something to do with my new runners and the fact that I didn't let my blisters completely heal up.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out there again soon as it's a major downer not being able to manage the full thirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Have finished the couch to 5k a few weeks, have been looking for a podcast for 5k to 10k, can't find any online. Can any1 here recommend a good 5k to 10k podcast that I can put on my ipod ??

Heya, for week 5 of c25k I am using the following website and she also has week 1 and week 2 of b210k.

http://runningintoshape.com/10-k-downloads/b-to-10k-week-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

W1D3 completed.

Another easy day for me to be honest, looking forward to increasing the length of time for the jogging on Monday.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Elliex

Iv been reading this thread the last week. I am on week 5 day 3 today so after work im out to complete the 20 min jog :eek: it seems like a really big jump from 8 mins to 20 mins! Did anyone find this really difficult? I am determind to do it but im soooo nervous!! :confused:

Elliex wrote: »
    Iv been reading this thread the last week. I am on week 5 day 3 today so after work im out to complete the 20 min jog :eek: it seems like a really big jump from 8 mins to 20 mins! Did anyone find this really difficult? I am determind to do it but im soooo nervous!! :confused:
    Hey EllieX. I found the 20 minute run tough but stick to it. What got me through it was remembering how I managed every other run before that I thought was impossible. I'd also suggest listening to a podcast or some really upbeat music as you get into the later stages. It really does help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Elliex wrote: »
    Did w5d3 today and yes it does seem like a big jump. It was tough but also easier than I thought it would be, legs and lungs felt fine but my head was telling me to stop. I was able to do 2x8 mins so I figured I'd be able for 20 mins. Took me many weeks of repeating w4 before doing w5 and completing the 20 min run feels like a milestone in the programme. Don’t be nervous take it slowly and remember all the previous runs completed.

W5D2 FAIL!!! :(

Was in an ok mood and felt ready to go out. Started the first 8 minute run and I am disgusted with myself that I could only do about 90 seconds and then I stopped and walked until the next 8 minute run (when your one on the podcast tells me to run) and thought to myself, I would be really happy if I could even manage 1 8 minute run. So she tells me to start running again, and that time I only managed about 2 and a half minutes. :(

I don't know what is wrong with me. It didn't help that I felt like such a fat blob bounding (very very slowly) down the path along side all the skinny people and they were all passing me out with just their fast walk :(

I feel like such a failure and am starting to think maybe jogging isn't for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Don't panic Monife!!!!

IMO, that's a mental fail and not a physical one and will be much easier to get around.
    I stopped thinking in terms of time and just listened to the 'lovely lady' in my earphones giving me tips. I even stopped listening to music as I found that I was timing myself using the songs!
    To make each little jump I'd say to myself that I'm definitely going to do at least what I had previously run ( in your case 5 mins) and see what I could do after that. Once I got to that time, then there was only a small bit extra to do so I'll just carry on!
    Think of it in terms of what you were at a few weeks ago and where you are now. You'll realise that it actually hasn't been too difficult to make that progression. The layout of the program will carry you over the next few runs in the same manner.
    Everybody, even decent runners, get bad days when the body won't co-operate with the brain and you really feel like you're plodding along. Don't let it get you down. Accept it as one of those things and carry on getting stronger.
    Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Hi everyone have been following this thread for a while and it has been a great help to know everyone is going through the same thing.I did w2d1 yesterday and am suffering with sore knees today anyone got any tips on what i can do im sure it will pass soon and i am determined to stick with it no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cleo87

Hi everyone have been following this thread for a while and it has been a great help to know everyone is going through the same thing.I did w2d1 yesterday and am suffering with sore knees today anyone got any tips on what i can do im sure it will pass soon and i am determined to stick with it no matter what.

Feeling your pain, i had the exact same thing happen to me after w2d1, this was a few weeks ago now, dont know what caused it (i had good shoes on, but gonna try them with insoles when i go next) but they seem fine again now, so i think i'll go out again at the end of the week. i think i may just pick up at wk 2 again...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

run on grass if you can.
    I think everyone feels it in their knees when they start to run, the joints just aren't used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Elliex

Monife wrote: »
    W5D2 FAIL!!! :(

Was in an ok mood and felt ready to go out. Started the first 8 minute run and I am disgusted with myself that I could only do about 90 seconds and then I stopped and walked until the next 8 minute run (when your one on the podcast tells me to run) and thought to myself, I would be really happy if I could even manage 1 8 minute run. So she tells me to start running again, and that time I only managed about 2 and a half minutes. :(

I don't know what is wrong with me. It didn't help that I felt like such a fat blob bounding (very very slowly) down the path along side all the skinny people and they were all passing me out with just their fast walk :(

I feel like such a failure and am starting to think maybe jogging isn't for me. :(

You were just having a bad day its seems...i found it really tough aswel when i started week 5!One of the days i nearly crawled home crying thinking the exact same thing " jogging just is not for me " but i tried it a couple of days later and i felt much better...i did w5d3 on sunday and b4 i went out i was like no way im never going to be able to jog 20 mins (all completely in my head) and i did it!!My sister was giving out saying "see its all in your head, you can do it" :P i was so impressed with myself, the feeling of achievment was great :) i felt like iv come so far! So defo stick with it & repeat weeks if needed, keep going..youv done so well already :D I knw your on WW thread too & i really prefer the feeling of achievment after a jog rather than a walk (never did i think i would say that!!!)

RayCun wrote: »
    run on grass if you can.
    I think everyone feels it in their knees when they start to run, the joints just aren't used to it.

I Don't really have anywhere to run on grass, but might try the road, as I read somewhere that its better than a hard pavement, as there is less impact on the knees....

Tarmac is softer than concrete, yes.

W2D1 completed yesterday.

I found it tough going as I was wrecked after a long, hard day. I got it done though.

W2D2 tomorrow evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Did w6d1 yesterday and found it really hard going, for some reason I found it tougher than the previous run of 20 mins.
    All my runs (apart from one on threadmill) so far have been on sand and I think I need to do some road running to see how my legs and knees cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hi guys, just started this. Did w1d1 yesterday. It was such a great feeling afterwards, here's to the next few weeks!

c_man wrote: »
    Hi guys, just started this. Did w1d1 yesterday. It was such a great feeling afterwards, here's to the next few weeks!

Good luck! It is such a great feeling :)

Im going back out tonight after a few weeks off because of my sore knees. Going back to week 2 where i left off and really looking forward to it, especially in this sunshine. :D

• Advertisement

W2D2 completed.

The app I used has started to mess up now, wrong timings etc, so I'm going to use a stop watch from now on.

I'm heading out for another run tomorrow. Ate like a glutton these last two days. I'd say at least 2,500 calories taken in today and most of it junk..!

Now with all that unhealthy sugar and fat in my system I surely should have enough juice in me to actually finish my thirty minutes this time around..!

W5D2 completed (finally) :) Why is it soooo much easier on a treadmill? Feel great but absolutely knackered, the 1st 8 mins was grand but the 2nd was tough, I find it much better when u can look at the clock and see how much you have left. Nervous for day 3, really don't think I can add an extra 12 mins on but if I can't I will be really happy with 10 and I will work it up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

Hang in their Monife, you are doing great. It really is a mind over matter thing once you step up to the longer runs. Once I got to that stage I just started using podcasts from differant radio shows, websites, etc, to pass the time. Try and avoid watching the clock and you will surprise yourself how long you can go. ;)

I finally finished C25K tonight after an injury and some niggles. Its great to jog by the spots where you used to stop and walk weeks ago. Remember how you thought you would never be able to jog further! Well you can.

So hang in there one and all, its well worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 euphrosyna

I did my first day of C25K yesterday! I do a lot of horse-riding so I thought I was reasonably fit, I suppose it's very different exercise though because I found it really really tough going during the run. Please tell me that it'll get easier!

It will get easier after a while - and you can make it easier immediately by slowing down on your runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've gone back to w1d1 cause I hadn't been out in nearly 2 weeks...it was really tough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

euphrosyna wrote: »
    I did my first day of C25K yesterday! I do a lot of horse-riding so I thought I was reasonably fit, I suppose it's very different exercise though because I found it really really tough going during the run. Please tell me that it'll get easier!

I started just under a week ago (a few posts above). While I felt great afterwards, I found it really draining and slept well that night! By the time of doing W1D3 I thought it was grand and was well able for it. You'll do fine, just stick with it!

I just completed W2D1 there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 euphrosyna

Thanks! Did the second day yesterday and found it a bit easier. Ankles are a bit achey but I got proper runners today so that should help. :)

• Advertisement

Almost on W4 now, just W3D3 to do tomorrow.

I've found myself wanting to do more running than the programme tells me to but I'll stick with it. Looking forward to getting stuck into the longer running, but I might not be saying that afterwards :p

Advertisement