Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The more you run, the faster you'll get. Even though you're training for a longer distance, you'll find your times over shorter distances will improve too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

May be a silly question here but hope you'll help -

Upon (hopefully) completing C25K within the next three weeks I'm wondering what next step to take. I've been looking at B210k and also considering whether I should stick with the 5K and focus on speed/time before going any further.

At the mo I'm pretty slow. I'd run about 4.4k in 30 minutes. I'd like to be able to get that at least to 5k before even considering moving on to running 10k straight. Would this be a fair enough strategy?

I'm kinda slow but I think the training over longer distances (I'm repeating week 1 of b210k at the moment) is improving me overall so that I should be faster running the shorter ones. So I would suggest go onto b210k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

RayCun wrote: »
    The more you run, the faster you'll get. Even though you're training for a longer distance, you'll find your times over shorter distances will improve too.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm kinda slow but I think the training over longer distances (I'm repeating week 1 of b210k at the moment) is improving me overall so that I should be faster running the shorter ones. So I would suggest go onto b210k.
    Sounds like a plan! ;)

Just to update everyone here. Began W6D1 today and after the first five minutes I decided that I didn't want to stop as I was 'getting in the zone'. So for the craic I said I'd keep going and see how long I would last and then progress with W6D1's programme after that run. I ended up running 25 mins so am pretty proud of myself.

That said my shins started to hurt just before the end of the run but it's reminding me of when I was running a lot more often two years ago. It's great to get the buzz back but will stick to the routine. No point in injuring myself from pushing myself too far.

I'm delighted these C25K threads are here. They're great inspiration.

How's everyone else getting on? :) Hopefully better than me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was supposed to be repeating w1 of b210k this week but due to illness/tiredness/study I basically haven't been out. I'll have to do it for the next 3 days or something to catch up!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lessismore

Never posted here before but need the motivation these days ... I've been pissing about with wk2 for weeks now but my routine keeps getting upset (aka i get sucked in by the couch) so I never move on

Just back from yet another attempt to start again ... running in the middle of a hot day in spring and forgetting to take hayfever meds and inhaler before hand ... bad idea, only managed three of the runs and am absolutely destroyed.

Unsure whether I should go back to scratch and wk1 or should I keep going with wk2 (+ inhaler this time!). I find it really demotivating to not finish strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Will be doing week 3 day 2 today. Starting to get into it and enjoying it more now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

dapto1 wrote: »
    Will be doing week 3 day 2 today. Starting to get into it and enjoying it more now!

Goin heading out for the same in a minute :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

lessismore wrote: »
    Unsure whether I should go back to scratch and wk1 or should I keep going with wk2 (+ inhaler this time!). I find it really demotivating to not finish strong.
    If it would help you to get going with it again, it might be worth going back and doing week 1 again. Try it and see how you get on? Also, if you suffer from hayfever, it can be better to run either very early in the morning or late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W4D3 complete! :D Delighted with myself. Although I did stop for the traffic light/pedestrian crossing in the last 5 min run but other than that did all the runs :)
    If it would help you to get going with it again, it might be worth going back and doing week 1 again. Try it and see how you get on? Also, if you suffer from hayfever, it can be better to run either very early in the morning or late at night.

Good advice. I went out today at 11ish and it was ROASTING!!!! I was ROASTING!!! Have decided now that I am gonna do c25k very early in the morning (5.30) before work and walk the other days.

• Advertisement

Whatever time you're running at, it helps if you have your gear all ready and waiting for you. So when you get up in the morning, or get home from work, you don't start thinking "oh, I can't remember where I left my top... and I don't think I have any clean socks... and maybe my ipod isn't charged... I'll do it tomorrow so"
    Have everything prepared, so all you have to do is put on your gear and go.

As Raycun said I'd go mad without having everything prepared before a run. Any distraction seems to take away from my motivation/focus and deters me from going out at all.

W6D2 completed. I should really say W6D3 completed (again!) as I managed another 25 min run. I found it extremely hard this time around as I didn't have a proper breakfast. Pair that with the fact that I spent most of my afternoon cleaning and polishing my car which really took it out of me..!

Really looking forward to a relaxing Saturday night now. Really need it after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Hi all! I'm happy to finally be able to report that I have finished the programme. Yay! Did wk 9 day 3 yesterday, about 2 weeks after wk 9 day 1! Things just got so busy but I was determined to get there in the end and just get it finished. I can now run for 30 mins, which feels brilliant :D But I am still going super-slow so barely covering 4 km, let alone 5 in that time. Because of work, life etc being a bit crazy at the mo I'm gonna keep up my 30 mins 3 times a week for the time being, with a view to increasing the distance I run in that time bit by bit. That should bring me up to the Leixlip 5k in May. After I've done that I'm gonna start the bridge to 10k. That's the plan!

Everyone just starting or on the early weeks just keep plugging away. Sometimes it feels like it would be easy to give up but keep at it, try and push yourself just a little bit and you'll really surprise yourself. I was always somebody who was not in any way athletic :rolleyes: - never liked P.E. or sports at school and had just decided that was how it was going to be forever. Yet I proved myself wrong in 9 (well, maybe a little more :D) weeks!!!! Trust the programme and you won't go wrong. When it seems like going from 5 min to 8 min runs is too big a stretch, or going from 10 mins to 20 is insanity, just say to yourself that the programme has been well designed and has been proved possible and try and silence the doubts in your head.

Hee hee, I'm feeling all inspirational cos people on here were always so kind to me, giving advice and encouragement the whole way along. Thanks guys!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kizzylady

Hey everyone completed w9d3 on Friday by taking part in the Ray Darcy 5k run in Irishtown. It was a great day a little nerve-wrecking but what a feeling running over that finish line in 32mins 33 seconds!:D It was slightly emotional, couldn't imagine the emotions after doing a marathon. Fabulous training programme from start to finish, plan on getting my time down now for a few weeks then push to the 10k bridge. Keep going everyone, you can do it!!
    Quick stupid Q if you have to run on a main road while training do you run with the traffic like a cyclist, or against like a pedestrian?

Kizzylady wrote: »
    Quick stupid Q if you have to run on a main road while training do you run with the traffic like a cyclist, or against like a pedestrian?

Run against, you are a pedestrian!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kizzylady

Doh! Thanks Raycun:rolleyes:

Last run of week 3 tonight and i cant wait 2 get home from work and head out :D

I'm not even halfway though C25k but i've noticed some difference over the past few weeks (Maybe its had something 2 do with giving up the fags at the same time but anyway :D), been keeping track of my progress using the iMapMyRUN app since week 2 and the stats back up how i'm improving over such a short time:

Week 2 Day 1: 4.33km in 34:50
    Week 2 Day 3: 4.47km in 30.07

Week 3 Day 1: 4.39km in 32.24 (Was really short of breath this morning :confused:)
    Week 3 Day 2: 5.03km in 34.20
    Week 3 Day 3: 4.53 in 29.32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lessismore

Thanks for all the tips ... used them all!

I think having everything in a little bundle (including my inhaler and cetirizine) was the clincher and will be doing that from now on.

Went and did (!) Week 2 last night, bit of a rough patch in the middle but I think that had more to do with passing all those people enjoying pints along the canal!

Looking forward to tomorrow night and beyond now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've just started week 2 so feel like I have alot of catching up to do with you guys! have to say though, my recovery is much better than it was the same time last week! Looking forward to seeing how everyone here gets on with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm starting tomorrow after going for a warm up today just to get back in the swing of things. I played football to a pretty high level and was very fit up until I gave it up a few years ago after getting sick of constantly training etc, in hindsight I should never have given the training up, but I'm determined to get back fit now.

Just a question, most of the road available to me is very uphill and downhill, there's not much of a straight stretch, does this matter?

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Just a question, most of the road available to me is very uphill and downhill, there's not much of a straight stretch, does this matter?

It will make things harder all right

RayCun wrote: »
    It will make things harder all right

I've completed W1D1.

I've found a straight road 10 minutes walk from my house so I use that as my warm up. It's not too long a stretch of road, so I just go up and down it which is fine.

I downloaded an app to my phone which gives me the walk/jog instructions so that's handy.

I'm glad to be up and running now!

Was hiding behind the couch for a few days lol Just was not motivated to exercise... but how and ever...

W5D1 complete. It was tough. My legs were killing me.

Apprehensive about day 2 and the 8 minute runs, don't see how I can just add an extra 3 minutes onto those runs let alone day 3 and the 20 minute run :eek:

I know I need to trust the programme, but very nervous.

W1D2 completed.

I bought myself some new running shoes, shorts, tops etc so I was looking forward to the run. Found it very easy at the time to be honest and probably would have done it twice (I'm sticking to exactly what I'm supposed to do though) which is good, although I'm fairly stiff now.

Looking forward to D3 now, which I'll do on Saturday morning! :)

Started week 4 last night, for the first time i'm feeling properly stiff today but cant wait til day 2 either

And i reached my first goal last night 5k in under 30 minutes (albeit in 29:50 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Monife wrote: »
    Was hiding behind the couch for a few days lol Just was not motivated to exercise... but how and ever...

W5D1 complete. It was tough. My legs were killing me.

Apprehensive about day 2 and the 8 minute runs, don't see how I can just add an extra 3 minutes onto those runs let alone day 3 and the 20 minute run :eek:

I know I need to trust the programme, but very nervous.

Your doing great Monife i remember recommending this to you on the ww forum and you were worried about been able for it well look at you week 5 your flying it. I remember been terrified about week 5 too but your body will always surprise you. Im finished the programme a couple of months and before a run my mind still plays tricks and i think will be able to do this 5k even though ive done it a load of times before. What ill say for week 5 in my experience when i was doing it it is actually more a mental one than physical so just keep telling yourself how far youve come and you how strong you are now and you will do this too

elsy wrote: »
    Your doing great Monife i remember recommending this to you on the ww forum and you were worried about been able for it well look at you week 5 your flying it. I remember been terrified about week 5 too but your body will always surprise you. Im finished the programme a couple of months and before a run my mind still plays tricks and i think will be able to do this 5k even though ive done it a load of times before. What ill say for week 5 in my experience when i was doing it it is actually more a mental one than physical so just keep telling yourself how far youve come and you how strong you are now and you will do this too

Thanks elsy. Oh it is definitely mental mind games with yourself, sure after 2 minutes I am thinking to myself I want/need to stop, and again at 3 minutes and before I know it I have completed the 5 minutes.

Did you complete week 5 with no probs/repeats? How did you manage the 20 min run :eek: ?

I was meant to start week 7 but instead ran for a constant 30 mins. Have managed it twice in the last five days but have to take a break for a few days as I'm in a bit of pain!

Going to buy some running socks tomorrow which will (hopefully) aid me once I'm able again..!

I know I skipped two weeks but I'm only one day short of completing the 30 min runs. I'm managing about 4.5km at the minute but want to get that up to 5k to truly complete this programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Just finished W9 two weeks ago, and I must say, I owe a lot to this program. Its actually allowed me to stretch my distance up to 8K without any problems.... and I never ran before in my life.....Can't and won't stop raving about it.

So, my first 5K race is coming up in Mountpleasant in just over a week. I was looking for some tips regarding preparation for the race for the few days beforehand, and also, are there any recommendations for a pre-race warm-up? Would the 5 minute (a la C25K) walk prior to start do the trick? Any good advice appreciated

• Advertisement

It kind of depends on how fast you run, how fast you plan to start and how comfortable you are with the distance. A five minute walk is probably fine, but as you progress you would be looking at jogging for 5/10 minutes beforehand, running some faster sprints during the warmup, and so on.

In general, the best plan is to prepare for a race the way you prepare for a normal run. Eat the same food, wear the same clothes, warm up the same way, and so on.

Advertisement