Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dancor wrote: »
    How did people manage with a holiday in between C25K?

Ive made great gains in the past 5-6 weeks and dont want to lose any, I dont want to repeat any weeks or lose any gains ive made. Should I hit a gym while away and hop on the threadmill or do some street running? I dont really want to be fitting my asics in an already stuffed suitcase for 2 runs.

I feel if I miss any runs ill be set back or lose my motivation.

In case anyone is wondering or looking back over the thread for the same advice I was looking for, I was a bold boy on holidays, drinking and smoking heavily. I didnt do any training except plenty of walking.

I got back on Saturday and did my next scheduled run on Monday, it was my first 25 min non stop run and I didnt think I could do it but thought I would give it a go. I was thinking of repeating the previous weeks runs that I done but said feck it, ill see how I get on.

Anyway I did 25 mins non stop, couldnt belive it, no gains lost, it was like I was never away.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I am looking for a free mp3 podcast for bridge to 10k. thanks in advance for suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 WW Queen

This time last year I was at week 5 and doing well, two bad weeks with no running and then I just got lazy and never went back :eek: so here I am a year later and starting back on the road again. Totally digusted at the thoughs of what I could be doing now if I had stuck at it - I might have even been on my way to my first marathon :D Not to worry on wards and upwards, its no good having regrets, just have to start over.

Which is what I did yesterday, stuck in the week 4 podcast on the the mp3 and off I went, and to my surprise I did it so delira. Going back out tomorrow and this time I'm not going to stop for 2 weeks.

So I'm officially half way through week 4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

bisset wrote: »
    I am looking for a free mp3 podcast for bridge to 10k. thanks in advance for suggestions.

Search podrunner intervals. They have good ones for 5k, 8k, 10k and half marathons.

I am starting the c25k programme on 31st October which scares me somewhat. I'm a few stone overweight but relatively fit by walking, some cycling etc but was never very keen on running. I always felt like a five legged elephant but the older I get the more I see it as a challenge to overcome so here I go!

I have run for 30 seconds or a minute or so recently out on walks just as a test and my heart rate shot up to 165-170 so this could just kill me.

Will let you all know how it goes. If you don't hear from me, I'm on a slab in some morgue.

Ok so have completed W1D1 officially (did it twice last week, meant to just do partial tests but ended up completing them).

I found it very new, very different feeling to walking (of course) and nothing is habit so I felt myself thinking a lot about where to put arms and legs, am I too fast, am I too slow. I was at the end of my breath just when the podcast said to walk again so I could catch my breath, just about. No awful gasping for air like I expected, just a fair bit out of breath.

I found looking far out into the distance distracted me nicely and made it feel easier, rather than looking down 5 feet ahead.

I've had various niggles and stiffness, mainly in the hips. Well I thought it was hips but after a little reading, I realise it might be glutes actually. Also I had a pain in left outer thigh which I think, after surfing, is the IT band so I have been stretching this after and no more pain since the first test run.

I felt self conscious initially but I'm kinda getting used to it, though wouldn't want to bump into anyone I know at the same time. :)

So W1D2 tomorrow and am kinda looking forward to it.

PS: its great that its so short, I am used to long walks so I'm saving time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fresh Face

Hi all, did W1D1 today and felt such a great sense of achievement. I was reading the boards this morning and downloaded the NHS podcast, thanks to everyone for the honesty and enthusiasm as it really encouraged me to get out. I'm 3 stone overweight and haven't run as far as I did today in about 10 years.
    Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

So I started C25K yesterday and did W1D1! Its W1D2 tomorrow..... feeling ok I suppose, feel quite self conscious when running. Also its a strange sensation when running - I feel like a centipede all legs and not coordinated. Its quite strange as I did a lot of running when in my teens (many moons ago) and ran for years with my local athletics club and never felt uncomfortable. I suppose I need to get used to actually running again! Anyways, heres to tomorrow morning when its W1D2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Kmc123

Started C25K today and just as i started out the rain started pouring!! I kept at it thank God!! Found it very different and needless to say i was wrecked after it!! Roll on Friday for W1D2!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just crossed the halfway point after completing w4d2, it's definitely getting easier so for those who are starting, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Hi all. First time poster here. So glad I found this thread. Am hoping to start this next week. I have an I phone, and just ordered the sports band from e bay today, then I will be all set. Just heard of c25k for the first time, about an hour ago, so need to do some more research. Just a couple of questions. firstly, is this the programme...http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Secondly, what's the best app out there that tells you what you should be doing each day, and plays decent background music? I'm not into the whole techno music...hate it in fact. loosking forward to posting here regularly.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I liked the techno music one :)
    If you look upthread, I think some people used iphone apps that would let them play their own music and a voiceover to say when to walk or run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

slookie wrote: »
    Hi all. First time poster here. So glad I found this thread. Am hoping to start this next week. I have an I phone, and just ordered the sports band from e bay today, then I will be all set. Just heard of c25k for the first time, about an hour ago, so need to do some more research. Just a couple of questions. firstly, is this the programme...http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Secondly, what's the best app out there that tells you what you should be doing each day, and plays decent background music? I'm not into the whole techno music...hate it in fact. loosking forward to posting here regularly.:D

This is the app to get:

http://www.c25kapp.com/

I have it on android and am just starting on week 6. V good app.

I have an iPhone and I use the "Get Running" app. I find it good and you can play your own music in the background. There are loads of apps out there, try then and see which suits you.

Did W2D1 this afternoon and found the last run quite difficult! Getting there though and feeling good after :)

Remember, if you're finding the runs difficult it's okay to slow down a bit. Almost everyone starts off running too fast.
    It's better to run slower than to stop running and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Started today and did W1D1. Found it surprisingly easy, considering my exercise for the past 6 months has been almost zero. I used be able do 30 mins on the treadmill at 10-11kph, 6 months ago, no problem. So my question is, could I do this programme in 5 or 6 weeks if I wanted to? Could I do day 2 tomorrow, day 3 maybe Friday, day 4 Sunday etc.

Started today and did W1D1. Found it surprisingly easy, considering my exercise for the past 6 months has been almost zero. I used be able do 30 mins on the treadmill at 10-11kph, 6 months ago, no problem. So my question is, could I do this programme in 5 or 6 weeks if I wanted to? Could I do day 2 tomorrow, day 3 maybe Friday, day 4 Sunday etc.

If W1D1 is too easy for you, you might be able to jump in to week 3 or 4 and continue from there.
    But the 3-day-a-week structure is there for a reason, it means you get recovery in between your runs.
    And it takes time for the training to make your body stronger - you won't really feel the benefit of today's run for 2 or 3 weeks. The 10 week programme means that when you get a few weeks in you are building on the runs you've already done. If you speed up the programme, you're not giving your body time to catch up.

Well I've completed the c25k up to Week 3 day 2 and only found this week a bit challenging. But I've already felt progress - gradually lowering top heartrate, feeling a rythm develop in my run, finding my mind wander rather than being totally absorbed in putting one foot in front of the other as it was in the beginning.

I'm really enjoying it and am totally comitted - I've been out in really woeful weather - I won't be stopped.

Not bad for an aul wan who hasn't run in nearly 30 years. Jaysus, sounds awfully long when you put it like that ...

This may not be the place for this questtion but maybe someone here could give some advice. What do people running wear in the pouring rain? I'm aware that it is coming into winter and the weather will be getting colder and wetter. I have read the email page linked elsewhere on this forum about running gear but I am looking for some key things a beginner on a budget can get. Another problem is darker evenings so will have to be reflective? I saw a yellow addidas reflective jacket the other day in lifestyle. Would it keep you relatively dry, breathable yet reflective? Don't think it was climacool. Was also looking at Nike dri fit pieces. Opinions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gmbm85

Hi there!

I LOVE this thread - great inspiration!!

I'm just in from W2D3 & am totally delighted with myself, it's the first time that the little bell has come as a surprise at the end of the run, quite nice! On Monday for W2D1 I thought my app wasn't working when there was no sign of the bell!

Really starting to feel the difference in my fitness - shin splints & calf burns are gone. I do have a little twinge though on the inside of my lower left leg. Was dreading going out with it today but hardly noticed it once I started, once I came in though it was back again :( Hopefully though it will be like the other niggles & just go!

Looking forward to W3 now, will be away for week 5 in the states but am considering bringing my runners - what's 3 30 min sessions out of a week I'm thinking?! Wouldn't like to miss a week & risk slipping back a bit.

So anyways keep up the good work everyone & keep the thread going, it made me go out today just reading a couple of pages - was putting it off till tomorrow!

Chat soon!!

sillymoo wrote: »
    This may not be the place for this questtion but maybe someone here could give some advice. What do people running wear in the pouring rain?

You could have a look at this thread.
    Personally, I might wear longer sleeves, hats, gloves, or a gilet if it gets very cold, but I don't even try to keep dry.

• Advertisement

I'm only on week three so I'm not yet generating a lot of heat so when it is extremely windy and/or pouring rain, I wear my Landsend marinac jacket. It's a bit chunky but keeps me bone dry, tested many a time out hiking.

When I'm further along and running more/sweating more, I will probably wear my Columbia storm jacket which is lightweat but windproof and almost waterproof.

Personally I'm glad it's winter so I can hide behind these nice cosy jackets - hopefully I will be a lot more toned by next spring when I will have to shed a few layers! :)

Started week 3 last night! Ouchy! Very tough but got through it & was delighted when I got home. Went out at 10pm in the rain so was determined to make it worth it!

Left leg is still sore, pain goes when I run & then comes back once I stop, was stiff this morning too but loosened up as the day went on. Fingers crossed it's nothing major.

Enjoying rest night tonight before W3D2 tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined

Hi all,

Last post in here was 8 months ago! Let the whole plan slide, moved country etc! In Germany now where everyone seems to be health mad so got a bit of motivation back!

Just finished w1d2 and feels great to be out running again! Hopefully wont over do it and lose enthusiasm!

The german weather is far colder than Ireland so stop moaning about the weather folks! :)

That last line was a joke,before i get any angry posts in reply! :D

Hi determined! Good 4 u starting the programme again! Funny how life gets in the way of everything isn't it!!

I didn't make it out 4 W3D2 last night, life got in the way 4 me too!! Will get out 2nite after wrk but then will have to go on sat too, prefer to get it outta the way by Friday but not to worry!

Looking 4ward to getn out later, it really blows away the cobwebs doesn't it!

<mod>
    No textspeak please
    </mod>

kthxbai!

Whoops sorry, my bad! It won't happen again!

Ok so I have completed W3D2 at the weekend and have run into a problem. I am studying at the moment and move around the country on placements. When I started C25K I was in cities and had no problem running in the streetlight, However at the moment I am placed out in the country and there is no streetlight and it is dark when I get home for a run! I will be here until January when I will get back to streetlit civilization.

What can I do in the meantime? I enjoy running outside but should I start running in a gym for the next few weeks and try run outdoors at the weekends? I have some free passes for the gym but not for 5 weeks. I might be able to wrangle a 5 week gym membership where I am (there is a gym in the local rugby club). Will doing 2 runs out of 3 per week in the gym hamper things? Last week I fell down on my routine, and had a run midweek when I just happened to be in Dublin for the evening for a meeting but cant be doing this every week. Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sillymoo wrote: »
    Ok so I have completed W3D2 at the weekend and have run into a problem. I am studying at the moment and move around the country on placements. When I started C25K I was in cities and had no problem running in the streetlight, However at the moment I am placed out in the country and there is no streetlight and it is dark when I get home for a run! I will be here until January when I will get back to streetlit civilization.

What can I do in the meantime? I enjoy running outside but should I start running in a gym for the next few weeks and try run outdoors at the weekends? I have some free passes for the gym but not for 5 weeks. I might be able to wrangle a 5 week gym membership where I am (there is a gym in the local rugby club). Will doing 2 runs out of 3 per week in the gym hamper things? Last week I fell down on my routine, and had a run midweek when I just happened to be in Dublin for the evening for a meeting but cant be doing this every week. Help!

You can buy a headtorch in most outdoor pursuit shops (think camping shops, hiking/skiing shops etc) and in most running shops. It's a great investment that allows me to run in parks all through the winter months.

There might be a running club nearby you could run with sometimes, or GAA pitches floodlit for training that you could run around?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    There might be a running club nearby you could run with sometimes, or GAA pitches floodlit for training that you could run around?

I'm afraid not - the only place floodlit around here is the field out the bck of the house when the car headlights are on :) I think I found a solution tonight, one of the main roads to the nearest town has street lights and there is a car park on the road. Most of the run is lit with street lights and some is not but there is a path so at least you know you are not going to be hit by a car! Worked well this evening so will keep going with it for now. Thanks for the suggestions and going I buy some proper high vis stuff tomorrow if can find a suitable shop here!

Advertisement