Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Well I'm back! Was doing great and did W4D1 then came down with a dose of the dreaded Man Flu. Decided to go back and repeat W3. Should be back to where I was by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Noddyman, well done. Its a great achievement, and its a Testament to the c25k program. Was it the emer casey 10k you did today? Just back from there myself.

No, it was in Stoneyford, Co Kilkenny - its only the second year they've run this but was a great day, well organised, plenty of stewards and a great spread of food afterwards which was greatly appreciated! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

W1D3 completed today
    good luck to anyone else starting

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭marshmallowx

Hey guys!

W1D1 completed this evening! (I say completed but I did cheat a bit and skipped a couple of full runs....:o)

I was hoping ye might have some tips for me? My downfall is my breathing, I'm not very fit and during the runs, although my legs can keep going and I'm happy with my pace, my breathing forces me to slow down. Is there anything I can do to regulate this as I feel its going to cause problems as the weeks go on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hey guys!

W1D1 completed this evening! (I say completed but I did cheat a bit and skipped a couple of full runs....:o)

I was hoping ye might have some tips for me? My downfall is my breathing, I'm not very fit and during the runs, although my legs can keep going and I'm happy with my pace, my breathing forces me to slow down. Is there anything I can do to regulate this as I feel its going to cause problems as the weeks go on

While I have taken a small break from C25k (was at end of week 5), I feel I can advise you a bit on this. I was around 16 stone when I started C25k (18 stone a few months previous to it), was SERIOUSLY unfit (hadnt exercised in YEARS) and I am smoker (almost 20 a day). The first week, my breathing was terrible. Was getting really really out of breath and to top it off my legs were killing me. But by week 2, my breathing got much better. The last run I did was 20 minutes and my breathing was fine all the way through, just when I finished my chest was a bit tight, nothing a little cool down walk couldnt fix. So keep going, it will definitely get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭marshmallowx

Thanks for the response Monife, it sounds like your doing fantastic! you should be really proud of yourself:)
    20 mins is a long way off for me yet but thanks to your post you have given me hope that I can get there...eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Just started today so W1D1 complete:D
    I have to say though I am way, way more unfit than I should be considering I'm only 19!! I got an awful stitch halfway through and had to slow my pace down a lot- but I got through it and that's the main thing :)
    Felt really good after even if I couldn't feel my legs :rolleyes:

Have to say this thread is great motivation! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Hi all its been a while since i posted i am on week 6 day 3 today and im kinda worried about the 25 min run cos its so hot today anyone got any tips besides running in shorts and t shirt? Other than that the program is going great it really does work so anyone just starting stick with it gets easier.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Hi all its been a while since i posted i am on week 6 day 3 today and im kinda worried about the 25 min run cos its so hot today anyone got any tips besides running in shorts and t shirt? Other than that the program is going great it really does work so anyone just starting stick with it gets easier.:D

What kind of t-shirt are you wearing? the wicking ones keep you cooler instead of regular cotton tees. Anything of the soccer training shirts have this, like climacool on adidas tops. I wear one of these with a light cotton over that and it keeps me quite cool.

Try running in a park with shaded areas.
    When you get to hot throw on some water (if you carry a bottle with you)
    I am guessing running in the evening is not an option, it will be cooler then...
    other than that maybe just run a bit slower than you would normally for the 25mins. you will still be doing the full amount of time but will be less likely to overheat.

beefjerky wrote: »
    What kind of t-shirt are you wearing? the wicking ones keep you cooler instead of regular cotton tees. Anything of the soccer training shirts have this, like climacool on adidas tops. I wear one of these with a light cotton over that and it keeps me quite cool.

Try running in a park with shaded areas.
    When you get to hot throw on some water (if you carry a bottle with you)
    I am guessing running in the evening is not an option, it will be cooler then...
    other than that maybe just run a bit slower than you would normally for the 25mins. you will still be doing the full amount of time but will be less likely to overheat.

Thanks beefjerky thats some good advice i decided to leave the run until this evening was way to hot today so am off to do it now thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Inspired by the ladies today I started W1D1 tonight!:D This forum is very inspiring - thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Working all weekend, come Monday, I'm starting W1D1.
    Quite excited, but this is gonna be hard!

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Working all weekend, come Monday, I'm starting W1D1.
    Quite excited, but this is gonna be hard!

W1D1 done!

I think mondays are gonna be hard on the back of 3 12 hour night shifts, but I cant do Sat or Sun so it has to be Mon/Wed/Fri.
    I managed to get through the whole routine without stopping. Used the Robert Ullray podcasr which I found very helpfull. The 5th jog I found a struggle, but after that it was a literal start of mild downhill home, so that helped. Delighted I started now and looking forward to getting on with it.
    Mind you, some of my jogging was probably slower than my walking, but Ive started and thats whats important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

So, I'd done a few of the shorter faster 3k runs, but was really putting off the longer ones (say 6 or 7 k) for fear of dropping dead half way through...

Anyway, I'm on holiday the last 2 weeks somewhere nice and sunny. Brought the gear thinking it would stay in the bag, but last Monday and Wednesday did the usual 5k along a nice river - nothing special.

Don't know what made me do it, but Friday last I decided to go a bit longer / slower - did 6k, no problem.

Monday I set the Nike + to 7km, but did an extra km so hit 8 (I ran an extra 0.5km past 1/2 way point before turning and running back, which feels much more achievable than just doing an extra 1km I think)

This morning I set it to 9km, and actually did 10km. I kept it really slow and it was dead easy, I think I could have kept going except I was grinning like an idiot and my breathing went funny!

The time is, shall we just say, not competitive (70 mins), but I don't care, 3 months ago I struggled to run for a few mins, this morning I was going for over an hour..... I actually think I prefer the distance to trying to go faster, but then again I'd like to go a bit faster - having said that one of the trickiest bits was trying to make myself actually go slower at the start so as not to run out of steam later.

All of a sudden I'm totally motivated again, can't wait to get back out and do some more.....

That's great Arthur. Well done.
    I got my W1D2 finished this morning. Quite different to day 1. Didn't have the chest tightness I felt on Monday, but I defo gelt more fatigued throughout. Really had to push to get the last minute done. Was a huge effort only 20 seconds into it. But I persevered and it actually feels like I've done something today!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Completed W5D3 today, and feel great! Running for 20 minutes was a great confidence booster, and when I got home I promptly entered a 5K race in August to aim for.
    Great thread by the way, been silently reading it since week one and it willed me on to keep at it even when I found the 1 minute runs a struggle. :)

W2D1 today.
    Actually found today a lot easier than last week.

W2D2 done.

Serious head cold, but done it. Felt like I was running in wet cement. Really coulndnt get in to it. But its done. Hopefully over this by friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Uh oh, W6D3, the first to get the better of me. It was such a hot day when I went out, 3:00, and I hadn't really drank much before I went out, so come minute 23 I had nothing left to give. Despite my excuses, it was ultimately my failing. Oh well, W6D3 attempt 2 tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

next time go just a bit slower, it will make it easier...

• Advertisement

C25K finished 5k in 31 minutes its not going to break any records but its a start and for someone who could not run 60 seconds 2 months ago i am pretty happy with that. I just wanna thank Raycun for starting this thread it was a great help at times and good to see others going through the same thing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Just wanted to say anyone doing the couch to 5 k and struggling a bit, stick with it! I started it back in January and dipped in and out. Never got around to doing the 5k race but did the mini marathon today and ran most of the 10k - if i can do it anyone can so hang in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

Start3ed teh C25k last year, and loved it, found it harder this year to start, but did a 5k run with little training in April..under 30 mins :D not bad considering i really wasnt training much compared to the year before......
    But since then i've not ran at all, even had bought treadmill, cause i was doing so much of it, no reason other than laziness that i'm still not doing it....:mad:

ah need a kick in the :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gasky

Delighted to have discovered this thread, pity I hadn't found it earlier! Completed W9D2 this morning, it was TOUGH. I am simply hoping to do the last run on Friday and continue to plug away at 30 minute runs 3 times a week until it becomes more comfortable. Admittedly I am more than shocked that I am able to keeping "running" for 30 minutes, back in week 1 or 2, I never focused any farther than completing the runs of that week and occasionally looking ahead to the following week in dread, adamant it would be impossible and surprising myself all the way. C25k is one of the best things I've attempted and I'm so proud of myself to have stuck with it. But today and Sunday were really hard going, any inspiration out there that I will begin to properly enjoy this soon? I am really just mentally fighting against myself this week and last. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

For me when i waas coming near the end, i just told myself you are able for this, you've gotten this far, and you're nearly done, so keep going, you cant give you now, think of having to start it all over again, just keep on going, only 2 days left, think of the pride you'll have when you finish it, think of completing it, not the 2 days left to do, wish you all the best, hope you hear you back here saying you've done it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

I'd be on roughly W5 D2, saying that I did fail W1D1 when I started.

Although my pace is nothing more than a brisk walk I can go for a lot longer than the program says, my second 8 minutes stretched to 15 minutes today.

Would I be better upping my pace and sticking with the program times, or build up to the 30 minutes at my own pace (shorter than 9 wks) and then work on pace.

I have no idea of distances covered just going by times..

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    I'd be on roughly W5 D2, saying that I did fail W1D1 when I started.

Although my pace is nothing more than a brisk walk I can go for a lot longer than the program says, my second 8 minutes stretched to 15 minutes today.

Would I be better upping my pace and sticking with the program times, or build up to the 30 minutes at my own pace (shorter than 9 wks) and then work on pace.

I have no idea of distances covered just going by times..

I always remember my p.e. teacher saying "there is no point in just doing 10 pushups every day, that way you only get really good at 10 pushups, you need to do more each time to improve overall"

By the same principle I'd say try and up the pace a bit and stick to the times, the aim of C25k in my view is to increase your cardio and distance ability, not just distance if you know what i mean... you say you can go for longer than the program says at a brisk walk, but like it says on site:
    The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

just be wary you don't start out too fast or you will burn out. Then when you are up to the 30 mins / 5km, you can look at increasing the pace more by doing some speed work and incorporating it into your workouts. you could check your distance by checking your route on google maps or walkjogrun.net

It's easy to try and get too much done, much more manageable to have simple goals. so get to the 5km at a pace you are happy with would be the 1st thing, then up your speed and or distance, depends on what you want yourself.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lilyjclare

Delighted I found this thread, I am a complete jogging novice and on w2 d3 of programme. i really struggled on w2 d2, i thought i would pass out. I will continue but it aint easy.

2 questions - should i do w2 again or move to w3 as i struggled so much

and also has anyone lost weight doing this programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Keep on going, but slow down on your runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

lilyjclare wrote: »
    and also has anyone lost weight doing this programme?

I went from 83kg (34 inch waist) to 76 (32 inch waist) over the last 4 months doing firstly this programme then moving on to longer distances.

I don't actually want to loose any more, but i definately found the weight fell off, but you do need to keep at it.

I also changed my diet quite a bit, cut out processed carbs and fat.

Advertisement