Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You know, the race day atmosphere will carry you through that extra km - you'll be fine, good luck :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finished wk 8 last night, onto week 9 tomorrow...the day of my first 5k!
    I figure it doesn't matter if I can't run the absolute whole thing, I will go and do wk 9 day 1 run i.e.30 mins and if I can push past that then I will! (cos I'd say I'll only cover about 4k in 30 mins - I've been running really slowly but tbh speed is the least of my worries at this point!)

Positive thinking! Doesn't matter if I can't run whole thing (except of course I would really love to!), the important thing is that I'll have done a 5k and the scary experience of being in my first race will be past and I can look forward to the next one..

Eek though! Already feeling a little nervous :o
    Knowing there'll be other first-timers there like me helps though!
    Yeah I'm so nervous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Getting my gait analysis done today, I'll be starting this soon :) I plan on doing the ladies' mini marathon in Cork too. Will be interesting running in drag :P

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah I'm so nervous :(

It's gonna be fine, this time tomorrow we'll be ridicuously chuffed with ourselves for just having gone out and done it, regardless of how it goes. It's just the start of many good things to come! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

It's gonna be fine, this time tomorrow we'll be ridicuously chuffed with ourselves for just having gone out and done it, regardless of how it goes. It's just the start of many good things to come! :D
    [HTML][/HTML]

Perfect attitude to have!:D

Best of luck to all of you for tomorow...that feeling after you finish is one to cherish forever (and nobody can take that away from you whether you walk/crawl/jog/plod around the course!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Colibri wrote: »
    Getting my gait analysis done today, I'll be starting this soon :) I plan on doing the ladies' mini marathon in Cork too. Will be interesting running in drag :P
    i'm so naive, what is gait analysis ? I see it mentioned alot, I know it has something to do with how your feet touch the ground on impact ?? yes ?? anyway, why have it done, how can it help in terms of footwear

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Amphibian King have an explanation on their site (don't forget to click the continue button at the end of the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Feel on cloud nine right now finished the race in just over 39 mins and more importantly ran it from start to finish non stop :) my time was down almost 5 mins on operation transformation 5k. Had such a great day it was a brilliant event nothing is going to stop me smiling today :):) hope everyone else enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W3D1 completed. Was nervous about the 3 min runs but they were actually fine, they felt the same as the 90 second ones, you think you can't go any longer and then just say to yourself "Come on push it" and before you know it they are over. Feel great and finally feel like I am properly working out, absolutely roasting when I got home.

Well done everyone who did the race, can't wait to get to that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Can't believe after some hard weeks I was able to run the 5k today! Ran it in 34.30 so I'm delighted with that. even had a few beers last night so I was wrecked when i got up this morning! I think I'll prepare better next time!

Hopefully there'll be even more of us running it next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Well, race was nowhere near as scary as I was expecting. There was such a lovely atmosphere - loved that there were people outside shops, houses etc waving people on and clapping :) Really helped to encourage me.

I found the race quite long - I think I'd better start changing my usual running route, as at the point where my route slopes downhill (after 1 km) I found myself getting anxious and telling myself I was tired and needed to stop etc. Such a mental battle!!! I carried on as best I could (forgot that running in day time means running in heat!!!) but unfortunately I stopped to walk for a few mins just at the 3km marker. I was so disappointed with myself but picked myself up again to run really really slowly back along to the finish line. My end time was 40 mins 17 secs. I was ok with that, as its not too much past my average/km that I have been doing so far. Wouldn't have cared about time at all if I'd just managed to keep running!!

It's over, so onwards and upwards to Leixlip 5k in May where my goal will be to run the whole thing. Very do-able if I keep up the training!

Congratulations a million times over to everyone who ran and, in the words of my accompanying friend who waited at the finish line: 'you said you were gonna do it and you did it' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined

Started w1d1 tonight! Determined to get fit, and the amount of success stories is a great inspiration, well done to everybody! Feeling good, might skip to week 2. Any suggestions? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The most important thing is to run consistently. Get your three runs in each and every week. You will improve rapidly if you keep running regularly, more than if you go hell for leather when you run, but keep missing days.
    So my advice is to start with week 1, day 1 and keep following the plan.

Yeah i guess youre right! Just the enthusiasm got the better of me, legs very sore today! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

W2d2 on the beach!
    I don't think it was a great idea to run on the beach, a little bit slower but managed all the runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 contentworks

So W8 D2 turned out to be the 5k race in Dublin yesterday. Didn't know what to expect as I was a race 'virgin' but made it around in 29 minutes, which I was delighted with. I'm going to complete the programme over the next week and then push the distances up over the coming months. Couch to 5k is brilliant - it certainly got me off the couch!

Best of luck to everyone starting out, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Determined wrote: »
    Started w1d1 tonight! Determined to get fit, and the amount of success stories is a great inspiration, well done to everybody! Feeling good, might skip to week 2. Any suggestions? :D

As you've realised by now....don't skip to week two!!!
    Take it handy regardless of your fitness/ability and follow the progam through.
    Yeah i guess youre right! Just the enthusiasm got the better of me, legs very sore today! :rolleyes:

Lol.... The whole idea of the program is steady progression. Even though there are weeks when you feel that you could do more I'd advise everybody to stick to what you're doing. It's 'measured progression' and will give you an idea of where you're at.
    Most likely you'll have good days and bad days (And a few 'lost' days!!! )
    The whole thing builds you up to knowing that you can do it. Where I feared 8 minute runs a couple of weeks ago I'm warming up now at 8 mins!! Just finished W8 D3 tonight BTW (28 min run) so I'm no expert but, in common with everybody here, have gone through the same type of feelings of trepidation followed by elation.
    You might have a good day and run for 10 mins say, instead of 5, and decide to skip a week. As sure as night follows day your next run will be a bad day and you won't know where you stand then. Stick with it and you will be successful and the weeks will just fly by. Good luck and post your progress here to motivate yourself.. If you really are 'Determined' you will do it.

Now.....Cup of tea and a fag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Good advice twowheelsonly - I was so tempted at the start to skip on, but what I love now is that I feel I've worked hard at each and every night and feel more rewarded and have such a sense of achievement - W5D1 complete! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Great programme. Been at it for around 2 months. With missed days and repeated weeks (due to me running too fast for my own good :mad:) I'm only week 5 though.

Tried W5D3 yesterday evening. Bit of a jump from 8 minute sections to a solid 20 minutes.

Only managed around 10 minutes, then broke the rest into 5 minute sections. Will give it another try wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

just want to share my joy, I've done my first full 5k - no stops :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D am one happy girl today! Ditched the program on week 7 mainly because Robert Ullrey podcast music was driving me insane, so got my own playlist together and went from there. Just drove my run to see what distance it was and it was EXACTLY 5K! Fancy that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

just want to share my joy, I've done my first full 5k - no stops :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D am one happy girl today! Ditched the program on week 7 mainly because Robert Ullrey podcast music was driving me insane, so got my own playlist together and went from there. Just drove my run to see what distance it was and it was EXACTLY 5K! Fancy that!

Congrats! You'll have to enter a race soon then!

Next time you want to know how far you've run you could use http:runkeeper.com or http://www.mapmyrun.com as opposed to driving the route. Greener running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W3D2 done (almost) today. Was wrecked when I got home from work and really didn't want to go out but forced myself (because I can't do it tomorrow as I have my weightwatchers meeting). Found it really hard, and I don't know if it was mental tiredness or physical tiredness but I couldn't even get half way through the last 3 minute run. Attempted the rest of it when I was nearly home but still couldn't finish. My calves and shins were in agony and it is really off putting.

I am going to try and return my runners (even though I think it has been more than a month) because even when i was just walking, I had pains in my feet, like the sides felt numb. I gave them a good chance, and some days they are fine but others it is just killer. If I can return them, going to get the gait analysis done. If I cant, well I dont really know what I can do because I cant afford new runners. I dont know if it is just the runners, I think it could be a combination of them and something else, I just dont know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

w2d3 finished today... and it was sooo much easier for me. I think I will stick to the running on the road rather than the beach

but i am still dreading the 3 minute runs this week! not as much pain.

@Monife, are you making sure to run on the ball of your foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Yeah, running on sand is a lot more work

Just got in from finishing W5D5. Delighted as I didn't think I'd get past 15 minutes. Managed to fool myself by saying I'll go for "1 more minute" 5 times though :o

There's loads of people out running these evenings, great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the motivation etc over the past 10 weeks! I am now finished the programme and currently jogging 3.7 miles I am absolutely delighted! To any newbies thinking about starting c25k DO IT! Before Xmas I could barely walk up the stairs and I was severely over weight! It's such a journey but every week you will improve! Thanks again and best of luck xxxxx

W9 D1 Completed. (30mins) Wasn't going to post until the end of the week but I'm delighted with myself. Changed my route as well - Got She Who Washes The Dishes to drop me in towards town so had no option but to run/jog/slog/crawl home seeing as I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt!!.

Already had the route measured both by car and on MapMyRun at 5k. Fell short by about 80 mtrs so ran for another few seconds to complete the 5.
    It's a great feeling to see the end???? of the program in sight and to have made tangible progress. That's both the reward and the encouragement...
    And I've dropped a stone in weight since January! Double Win!

Cup of tea and a fag time :D

Did w1d2 tonight. Came home, wasnt going to bother. Logged on here and five minutes later i was out the door. Great motivation to be had reading the posts!

Also, ran on sandymount beach, so great view of the city lights, brilliant! :D

Did w1d2 tonight. Came home, wasnt going to bother. Logged on here and five minutes later i was out the door. Great motivation to be had reading the posts!

Also, ran on sandymount beach, so great view of the city lights, brilliant! :D

Rather you than me running on the beach!!!

This thread is a great motivator. Also what I did was said to myself that I was going to go to the end of Week 3 and see how it was going but that I wouldn't quit before that. By the end of week 3 that was it....I was seeing it through if it killed me, and at times it nearly did :o

Stick with it and you'll get there. Getting out the door is the hardest part but you'll always feel better in yourself for having done so - just like you do now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Haven't been able to run over the last 2 weeks due to being sick then having a load of work to catch up on etc etc... was so upset when I tried to continue on with week 7 and could hardly run 5 minutes all that progress and now I have to go back to the start of week 6 :( has really made me lose motivation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

Hang in there needaname. I've missed the last 2 and a half weeks with an injury and can't wait to get out tomorrow night. Even if I can only do 15 minutes it will be great to get back. Was at w7 d2 when I got it so worst comes to worst I'll take an extra week to finish.

Don't waste all your hard work. It will b e worth it so hang in there. ;)

Advertisement