Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

elsy wrote: »
    Yea a new 5k to 10k thread would be brilliant. Im doing the great Ireland run on the 10th of April thats 10k eeek! Im just going to run what I can and take some walking breaks especially at the hills :) but sure we'll see how it goes!
    You are very brave! :eek:
    I'm doing the leixlip 5k in may and i reckon june for my first 10k is more than early enough for me!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

bluewolf - can you enter that 5K in leixlip yet? i was in the website but couldnt see anywhere to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

Well done all the graduates! :D Given the interest in keeping the momentum going there was an old tread that talked about the step up from C25K to 10k here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867536 but there wasn't much follow up. Edit: Poster started their own training log about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873687

It seems to recommend a Hall Higden plan http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm which like C25K has 3 runs a week but is supplemented with other training. Still its something to aim for when you get thru C25K.

Hope to be joining the graduates soon once my injury clears.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I was the same hennybug, you really really have to try and make urself not stop but I defo found it was wayyy harder week 8 and week 9

Thanks eefums, everyone else seemed to be sailing through so it's good to know i'm not the only one who struggled! I think i've pushed it too much and not taken the proper rest days. I've been doing bootcamp twice a week which now involves running as well so have been doing 5/6 straight days with no break. Bootcamp tomorrow so am going to take a total break Wednesday and hope to get back to it on Thursday/Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ramette wrote: »
    bluewolf - can you enter that 5K in leixlip yet? i was in the website but couldnt see anywhere to enter?

Didn't see it yet but I reckon May is ages away anyway so I'll enter in april?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Hennybug wrote: »
    Any of you who are close to the end or have done it did you struggle near the end? I'm getting so frustrated, I really enjoyed it up to week 6, flew through it and couldn't wait to get up in the morning and go for a run but i seem to have hit a wall. I didn't enjoy days 1 and 2 of week 7 at all and only managed @ 8 minutes this morning and walked most of the rest of it. My legs feel like lead (i do stretch) and i just don't get the high from it this last week.

I'm going to take a few days break in the hopes i'll get back in form but if anyone experienced similiar problems and got through them any advice would be appreciated :)

I know what you mean Hennybug.
    I am on week 8, and it feels like I have been on week 7/8 for ages! I think its because the runs are just in one block of time, it feels a little more monotonous, like you're not moving forward any more but of course we are :)

What is working for me at the moment is I tell myself I can walk a little bit if I need to - just want to get the distance covered in the time allowed - but when I tell myself this I find that just giving myself the permission helps to relax me and then I tend to forget about wanting to stop for a while. I think distracting yourself is key also. I change songs on the mp3 or change direction sometimes - just whatever I can think of! Of course what usually works the best is knowing how happy I'll be when I get home having had a good run. Also my legs are starting to hugely incentivise me because they're starting to look a bit more...well...toned or something! I never had that before! I say to myself - come on, just keep going, summer dresses around the corner... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think the entry to that Leixlip 5k is here

RayCun wrote: »
    I think the entry to that Leixlip 5k is here

thanks ray entering now :)
    once i figure out what tshirt size i am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W2D3 completed. Still finding it hard but managing to do it.

I have noticed a niggling pain on my shins (sorry to be moaning all the time lol) and a friend said it could be shin splints. It usually only happens during runs but the last 2 runs, I have noticed the pain stick around after and sometimes into the next day. Now its not excruciating or anything but it is getting a tiny bit worse, I am going to keep going but really hope it isnt anything serious as I am really enjoying this and really hope to get fit and start jogging regularly.

Sorry for the ramble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Monife wrote: »
    W2D3 completed. Still finding it hard but managing to do it.

I have noticed a niggling pain on my shins (sorry to be moaning all the time lol) and a friend said it could be shin splints. It usually only happens during runs but the last 2 runs, I have noticed the pain stick around after and sometimes into the next day. Now its not excruciating or anything but it is getting a tiny bit worse, I am going to keep going but really hope it isnt anything serious as I am really enjoying this and really hope to get fit and start jogging regularly.

Sorry for the ramble.

Sorry for the standard response, but did you get gait analysis done and have a pair of runners that are suitable for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Monife - i get really sore shins when i am running and when i walk... i do this stretch and it really does help (i dont lean back though i just sit up straight and only do it for a few minutes at a time...)

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/stretching/shin_stretch.php

G-Money wrote: »
    Sorry for the standard response, but did you get gait analysis done and have a pair of runners that are suitable for you?

Thanks Ramette.

G-money, I only found out about gait analysis after I had just bought brand new runners. I can't afford another new pair (I had been saving for the other ones lol) but if it persists past week 4 then I think I will check it out, of consult my doctor to see if they have any advice.

Does anyone know where in Dublin South I can get the gait analysis done? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Just completed week1 day 1 using the c25k android app. It was a little harder than i thought but it didnt seem too bad ill see how my muscles feel in the morning!

Does anyone know where in Dublin South I can get the gait analysis done? Thanks.

Amphibian King in Bray, Base2Race in Ballymount (Dublin 12)

Incidentally, here's a useful guide to good running form. Nothing complicated, just simple things like looking in front of you, relaxing your arms, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

W8 D1 (28mins Run) done...

Hard going due to a combination of factors but I did it and I'm delighted.
    Looking forward now to finishing the 30min program next week. My running days have been a little bit sporadic so I'm about a week or so behind schedule but not too worried about it. I know now that I will finish it and the plan then is to continue at 30 mins for a few weeks and work on speed/distance.
    Smokes, in particular, and diet to a certain degree will have to be looked at then. :o

At least I'm getting there, in no small part due to Raycun and contributors to this thread. Thank you people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Starting this next week (hopefully, must get runners)! Any tips before I start? I'm not fit, I exercise once a week on a Thursday night at Wing Chun which involves cardio and core workouts, tricep workouts, etc.

I might do the plan on Monday, Wednesday and Friday? Or is that a bit daft given my training on Thursday nights?

Colibri wrote: »
    I exercise once a week on a Thursday night at Wing Chun ...
    I might do the plan on Monday, Wednesday and Friday? Or is that a bit daft given my training on Thursday nights?

Wing Chun, I did that for a while myself, a long, long time ago - a basement studio on Leeson Street...
    It depends really - are you going to be more wrecked on Friday from training the night before, or on Saturday from drinking the night before?

Colibri wrote: »
    Starting this next week (hopefully, must get runners)! Any tips before I start? I'm not fit, I exercise once a week on a Thursday night at Wing Chun which involves cardio and core workouts, tricep workouts, etc.

I go for a long walk on the days in between, although your workout sounds a bit more intense so maybe you shouldnt run the next day. You could try it and just listen to your body.

Other people on here have said you should get your gait analysis done before you buy new runners, I have yet to do it and im raging, but I bought new runners before I knew about it.

Thanks guys!
    Wing Chun, I did that for a while myself, a long, long time ago - a basement studio on Leeson Street...
    It depends really - are you going to be more wrecked on Friday from training the night before, or on Saturday from drinking the night before?

Good question that needs to be considered. I don't get hangovers so I wouldn't be too bad after drinking, but if I was drunk still then I could change it to a Sunday? I don't drink much anyway :) I'm never wrecked but just sore, especially when our Sifu raises the bar a little and does some pretty intense workouts with us!
    I go for a long walk on the days in between, although your workout sounds a bit more intense so maybe you shouldnt run the next day. You could try it and just listen to your body.

Other people on here have said you should get your gait analysis done before you buy new runners, I have yet to do it and im raging, but I bought new runners before I knew about it.

I think I might try it, or else have an uneven pattern of days doing the C25K plan (ie. Monday, Wednesday, Saturday?)?

I'll look into the gait analysis in the coming days. This plan has me very motivated, I would love to do this :D

Thanks guys (or gals!)

• Advertisement

You're going to have a two day gap at some point - either Wednesday - Saturday or Friday - Monday, just pick when that gap is going to be.

You're going to have a two day gap at some point - either Wednesday - Saturday or Friday - Monday, just pick when that gap is going to be.

Out of curiosity, what days do you do?

Er, jaysus, that was a year and a half ago...

I did Monday/Wednesday/Friday in the early weeks, because I was going to a gym near work. Around halfway through the programme I went on holiday to Spain, so I was still running every second day, but I don't know which days. And then towards the end of the programme I was running once a week outside, so it must have been Mon/Wed/Sat, or something like that. I stopped running in the gym completely around the time I finished the programme, and Saturday running became a permanent fixture because it was easier to fit the run in then...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Colibri i'd take the extra day in between. I made that mistake doing the Monday, Wednesday, Friday with Bootcamp on Tuesdays and Thursdays and while it was grand for the first 4/5 weeks i totally hit a wall on week 7! I took a break this week and found it much better, obviously the body needs time to recover :)

Week 7 Day 3 done, although i only managed 22 minutes i was happy to be out and about and enjoying it again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

I got the software from this site: http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/download-audacity-and-the-lame-encoder/

You have to download 2 pieces of software and there are really good instructions on how to use it on the site. It takes a while to do but is sooo worth it.[/QUOTE]

I have downloaded both of the programs but am stuck on what to do next can anybody help me? I've read the instructions provided on the site but when I click edit and preferences in audacity there's no option for file formats, I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to computers but would love to get this up and running as I find the music on NHS download a bit headwrecking and I'm only after starting week2!

Ok think I've made a bit of progress since last night! I've converted the files into mp3 and they are in a folder on my computer but my media player won't play them, anyone know where I'm going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Week9 day1 completed today! Feel great after the run but during it I found it really tough! I don't know if I'm struggling mentally or physically to be honest!

Another factor which might be affecting me is this is my first real week on the road and not the Threadmill! I've done 5 runs so far on the road, tonight being the longest. Does anyone else feel really wrecked around the 15-20 minute mark? I seem to perk up a bit then after again I don't know if it's in my head or not!

intouch44 wrote: »
    Ok think I've made a bit of progress since last night! I've converted the files into mp3 and they are in a folder on my computer but my media player won't play them, anyone know where I'm going wrong?

I just followed the instructions and worked fine. In audacity you export the music as MP3 and save it on your computer. I then just dragged it to my MP3 player. Not too computer savvy myself.

Very hungover today :o, so going to start week 3 tomorrow. Bit nervous about the 3 minute runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Plan on starting next Monday.

However, decided to try W1D1 on Saturday afternoon as a trial run to check MP3 player, gear etc.

Struggled to complete the last couple of 60 sec runs because a long standing hip problem came back to haunt me.

May go to doctor but not sure there is much he could do an I believe it is from wear & tear.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Week9 day1 completed today! Feel great after the run but during it I found it really tough! I don't know if I'm struggling mentally or physically to be honest!

Another factor which might be affecting me is this is my first real week on the road and not the Threadmill! I've done 5 runs so far on the road, tonight being the longest. Does anyone else feel really wrecked around the 15-20 minute mark? I seem to perk up a bit then after again I don't know if it's in my head or not!

I regularly feel like that - probably a mix of both but def a fair bit going on in the head!!!
    Tonight for instance I was wrecked from 15-25ish but did the last 3 mins like the first 3!!! Probably a mental thing as I was coming off a long slight incline onto the flat and said to myself 'Ive done this already, should be no bother' and it seemed to have worked. I was even tempted to carry on for a few more minutes but decided against it as I've stuck rigidly to the program soo far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Finished wk 8 last night, onto week 9 tomorrow...the day of my first 5k!
    I figure it doesn't matter if I can't run the absolute whole thing, I will go and do wk 9 day 1 run i.e.30 mins and if I can push past that then I will! (cos I'd say I'll only cover about 4k in 30 mins - I've been running really slowly but tbh speed is the least of my worries at this point!)

Positive thinking! Doesn't matter if I can't run whole thing (except of course I would really love to!), the important thing is that I'll have done a 5k and the scary experience of being in my first race will be past and I can look forward to the next one..

Eek though! Already feeling a little nervous :o
    Knowing there'll be other first-timers there like me helps though!

Advertisement