Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Quality wrote: »
    Started this last night, really looking forward to the challenge. Love the fact that it is only 20-30 minutes per night.. No excuse not to fit it in.

Have you guys who are on the week 8/9 lost much weight with the program?

My middle is slimmer but I don't think it's a massive difference. I need to sort out the diet a bit better for that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you look at the photos of last year's race, you'll see some really fast runners tearing up the front of the field... and you'll also see walkers, kids, people in costume, a guy in GAA kit... lots of people just going at their own pace and enjoying the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

RayCun wrote: »
    If you look at the photos of last year's race, you'll see some really fast runners tearing up the front of the field... and you'll also see walkers, kids, people in costume, a guy in GAA kit... lots of people just going at their own pace and enjoying the day.
    I feel a bit better about it knowing I wont be the slowest one cos I'm so bad at the longer distances :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

W6D2 done, fairly good run for me, the GF found it more tough, looking forward to the challenge of day 3, from what I read it's tough. As a tip I've found the same route every night makes it easier, because I know how much further I'll have to go, and makes it easier to visualise, (just get to the top of the road and I'll be halfway there). I've tried running when I've been staying away from home and find it much tougher as I can't get this visualisation thing going there. Also a friend who did a 5k a few weeks ago said there were no KM markers so she didn't know how much further to go is this the norm at 5k races?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

RayCun wrote: »

It says you can sign up on the day so i'm going to hold off in case Ireland beat England and take the 6 Nations and Triple Crown cos if this happens there'll be lots of celebrating involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

Hey all,
    Week 9 run 2 completed, cannot believe I have only one run left to complete the program? I remember whne i started this and was reading this thread how envious I was of people who were on weeks 7 8 and 9 and I never thought I would make it to this far but I have, I am delighted with myself! yay!
    one more runt o go and I am an official graduate of the couch to 5k program! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 contentworks

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll see you there if its the one in dub!!

Yep, midday outside the Mansion House!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 contentworks

Quality wrote: »
    Started this last night, really looking forward to the challenge. Love the fact that it is only 20-30 minutes per night.. No excuse not to fit it in.

Have you guys who are on the week 8/9 lost much weight with the program?

Week 7 Day 2 completed - haven't lost any weight, but feel a lot trimmer. Fat to muscle (I hope!)

Staplor wrote: »
    Also a friend who did a 5k a few weeks ago said there were no KM markers so she didn't know how much further to go is this the norm at 5k races?

Most races will have km markers, though they aren't always easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W9 d2 done only one run left and im a graduate! My plan is to keep up my 30 min runs for 8 weeks to build on my fitness then start bridge to 10k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Well done Elsy. Stuck on W7D2 myself due to injury. Hope to be back in action late next week. Same plan to get to 10k after a few weeks of consistent 5k runs. Hopefully there will be a 5 to 10k tread by then to keep everyone motivated :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hey everyone. Completed W2D1. Was tough but I think a bit easier than week 1, I think it was because there was less runs, and when I finished the last 1 I thought there was still 1 more but then the podcast finished, I was like thank god! lol

Have a few questions and if there isnt any answer to question 1 and 2, I might be close to giving up...

1. Does the pain in your calves get better and if so when?
    2. Is there anything you can do to alleviate the pain?
    3. My fast walk is faster than my jog, is that right? I know if I go any faster I wont be able to complete the runs, but it is really really slow.

One thing I have noticed, you can actually run longer than you think. Before c25k I tried to jog a little bit in my runs but would stop when the pain kicked in, but now I keep pushing through the pain and surprise myself that I can run a bit longer. Also, breathing has got better.

Sorry for the long post. :o

Monife wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Completed W2D1. Was tough but I think a bit easier than week 1, I think it was because there was less runs, and when I finished the last 1 I thought there was still 1 more but then the podcast finished, I was like thank god! lol

Have a few questions and if there isnt any answer to question 1 and 2, I might be close to giving up...

1. Does the pain in your calves get better and if so when?
    2. Is there anything you can do to alleviate the pain?
    3. My fast walk is faster than my jog, is that right? I know if I go any faster I wont be able to complete the runs, but it is really really slow.

One thing I have noticed, you can actually run longer than you think. Before c25k I tried to jog a little bit in my runs but would stop when the pain kicked in, but now I keep pushing through the pain and surprise myself that I can run a bit longer. Also, breathing has got better.

Sorry for the long post. :o

Make sure to do stretches before and after.
    http://content.revolutionhealth.com/contentimages/nr551788.jpg
    That answers 1 & 2

as for your speed, don't worry about it at all it doesn't matter. The thing now is to get used to jogging for longer and longer
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Staplor wrote: »
    . As a tip I've found the same route every night makes it easier, because I know how much further I'll have to go, and makes it easier to visualise, (just get to the top of the road and I'll be halfway there).

I agree with this completely! I have tried to vary my route a bit but the best runs I find are always the ones along my regular route. I just feel more comfortable because, as you say, I know how much I've done and how much I have to do. I figure this is ok until I'm confident I can run 5k, then I can work at varying it a bit :)

Dunno how to multi-quote but definitely +1 to what bluewolf said above about the stretches!! For ages I was really bold and didn't bother stretching before running, just did some walking, and now that I have seen the error of my ways I can say the difference doing a bit of stretching makes is unreal.

Week 8 Day 1 completed successfully tonight!:)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Make sure to do stretches before and after.
    http://content.revolutionhealth.com/contentimages/nr551788.jpg
    That answers 1 & 2

as for your speed, don't worry about it at all it doesn't matter. The thing now is to get used to jogging for longer and longer
    :)

Is there any other stretches for your calves or is this the best? How long should you hold the stretch for? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but totally new to this.

Also, the pain is in my legs when running, but they are fine when I am walking or after the 30 mins, is this definitely because I am not stretching good enough? Or do you think it is because there is too much weight pounding down on my legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

w1 d2 tonight....

downloaded a podcast from the nhs on my iphone, free, but the music is a bit crap, but motivational enough.

When you run you put a lot of pressure on your legs - they're not just holding up your body weight, they're dealing with your whole weight landing on one foot at a time. If you're not used to running, that is a lot of new stress on your knees and calves. (Even when you are used to running, if you increase the distance you run, or the speed you run at, you will feel it.) So as well as building up your cardiovascular fitness, what you're doing is stressing your legs so they adapt and get stronger.

I'm not a believer in stretching before I run - I'd rather just warm up with a few minutes walk/slow run. After a hard run I usually do some of these stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Don't know if it was the couple glasses of red wine or the pizza I had last night, but somehow I have finally managed to do a full run today without a break (wk 7 day 2):D:D:D:D

Don't know if it was the couple glasses of red wine or the pizza I had last night, but somehow I have finally managed to do a full run today without a break (wk 7 day 2):D:D:D:D

Well done!

I decided to try the park this morning for a change and shouldn't have! Part of it runs through the woods so dirt track and the massive hill right at the end nearly killed me. I had to stop before I hit the top @ 21 minutes :o I did the other 4 minutes when i got home though. Going to stick to my normal (flat) route till i get more weeks and miles under my belt :P

w8d3 done, my first run in sort of daylight :pac::pac::pac:

4km in about 30 mins but i had to walk a chunk of it
    oh well, I will get there eventually I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Week 3 done and dusted - onwards to Week 4! :)

Just completed W2D2. Omg it was sooo much easier, I actually felt myself going a little bit faster.

To everyone who gave me the stretching tips, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It really really helped, legs were only a little bit sore but that is expected as this is my first time running. Absolutely delighted, and feel great.

Also, made my own MP3 podcast and it really spurred me on. :) Well chuffed with myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Monife wrote: »
    Also, made my own MP3 podcast and it really spurred me on. :) Well chuffed with myself :)

How do you make your own podcasts? I take it this is your choice of music with the voice prompts added.

Yey me! Week 9 day3 done ive officially graduated! I cant believe that ive come this far. Have to say today was the perfect day for my graduation run sun outside nice light breeze! This is not the end for me but the start of a healthier fitter lifestyle. Ive lost A stone in weight too in the last 9 weeks. Im loving feeling healthy and long may it continue! Ive never finished anything like this I usually start things and after a few weeks they die a death but not this time! Roll on next Sunday and the st patricks 5k. Goodluck to everyone stick at it its so worth all the blood, sweat and tears!

paulgalway wrote: »
    How do you make your own podcasts? I take it this is your choice of music with the voice prompts added.

Yeah own music and you can make your own voice prompts or download them.

I got the software from this site: http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/download-audacity-and-the-lame-encoder/

You have to download 2 pieces of software and there are really good instructions on how to use it on the site. It takes a while to do but is sooo worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

elsy wrote: »
    Yey me! Week 9 day3 done ive officially graduated! I cant believe that ive come this far. Have to say today was the perfect day for my graduation run sun outside nice light breeze! This is not the end for me but the start of a healthier fitter lifestyle. Ive lost A stone in weight too in the last 9 weeks. Im loving feeling healthy and long may it continue! Ive never finished anything like this I usually start things and after a few weeks they die a death but not this time! Roll on next Sunday and the st patricks 5k. Goodluck to everyone stick at it its so worth all the blood, sweat and tears!

Well done Elsy, must be amazing to get to the end of the Plan. Don't forget to post back with how you get on in your run.

A few of us are either at the end or nearing the end of the Couch25k (thanks Ray for suggesting this thread - legend!), so should we start a new Couch210K thread, for any1 who is interested in continuing with it ??

Well done Elsy, must be amazing to get to the end of the Plan. Don't forget to post back with how you get on in your run.

A few of us are either at the end or nearing the end of the Couch25k (thanks Ray for suggesting this thread - legend!), so should we start a new Couch210K thread, for any1 who is interested in continuing with it ??

Yes I'm finishing c25k this week also and I'd be up for a 5 to 10k thread, I've already enrolled for the womens june 10k as a slow jogger :o

elsy: congrats you must be SO proud! 9 weeks over! You've come such a long way :D:D:D

Any of you who are close to the end or have done it did you struggle near the end? I'm getting so frustrated, I really enjoyed it up to week 6, flew through it and couldn't wait to get up in the morning and go for a run but i seem to have hit a wall. I didn't enjoy days 1 and 2 of week 7 at all and only managed @ 8 minutes this morning and walked most of the rest of it. My legs feel like lead (i do stretch) and i just don't get the high from it this last week.

I'm going to take a few days break in the hopes i'll get back in form but if anyone experienced similiar problems and got through them any advice would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

yayyyy
    im also done im finished i finished on surday mronign with a nice long 4km run! great to be finished!
    Any of you who are close to the end or have done it did you struggle near the end? I'm getting so frustrated, I really enjoyed it up to week 6, flew through it and couldn't wait to get up in the morning and go for a run but i seem to have hit a wall. I didn't enjoy days 1 and 2 of week 7 at all and only managed @ 8 minutes this morning and walked most of the rest of it. My legs feel like lead (i do stretch) and i just don't get the high from it this last week.

I'm going to take a few days break in the hopes i'll get back in form but if anyone experienced similiar problems and got through them any advice would be appreciated

I was the same hennybug, you really really have to try and make urself not stop but I defo found it was wayyy harder week 8 and week 9

Yes I'm finishing c25k this week also and I'd be up for a 5 to 10k thread, I've already enrolled for the womens june 10k as a slow jogger

im the same bluewolf, some sort of moment of madness, would love to run it tho! Be on for a new thread for sure!

• Advertisement

Yea a new 5k to 10k thread would be brilliant. Im doing the great Ireland run on the 10th of April thats 10k eeek! Im just going to run what I can and take some walking breaks especially at the hills :) but sure we'll see how it goes!

Advertisement