Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

MySelf56 wrote: »
    Even ICC wants Pakistan to drop 6 catches as well. so lol.
    wouldnt be surprised if they paid off kamran and younis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pak really need a big partnership

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

wouldnt be surprised if they paid off kamran and younis.

This again, seriously? If you've evidence, spit it out, otherwise keep your snide insinuations to yourself.

TrueDub wrote: »
    This again, seriously? If you've evidence, spit it out, otherwise keep your snide insinuations to yourself.
    in some situations history and track record speaks for itself, salman butt and mohammed ameer being banned are evidence enough. the idea of match fixing maybe uncommon in the west, but its pretty common from where i'm from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

in some situations history and track record speaks for itself, salman butt and mohammed ameer being banned are evidence enough.

No, it isn't. Specific evidence of players involved in this match is required, simple as that. What other crooks did in the past is irrelevant.
    the idea of match fixing maybe uncommon in the west, but its pretty common from where i'm from.

Whether it's common or not is beside the point, the principle of proof is still paramount.

Vague accusations and snide insinuations don't help the situation, they don't expose any corruption, they just unfairly tarnish teams and individuals. If someone has evidence these teams or players were corrupt, then reveal it and we can throw them out of the game. Until then, enjoy the cricket.

• Advertisement

No, it isn't. Specific evidence of players involved in this match is required, simple as that. What other crooks did in the past is irrelevant.

Whether it's common or not is beside the point, the principle of proof is still paramount.

Vague accusations and snide insinuations don't help the situation, they don't expose any corruption, they just unfairly tarnish teams and individuals. If someone has evidence these teams or players were corrupt, then reveal it and we can throw them out of the game. Until then, enjoy the cricket.
    well i was really enjoying the match especially after the first few overs, pakistan has the ability to win, but i mean, there are some situations where you have to question some stuff, younis dropping two catches off the same player is one of them, im not saying like catches arent dropped when its a "fair game" but i mean since pakistan's image has been tarnished before, spectators will naturally question everything, so naturally me being a passionate spectator have to question kamran's wicket keeping, and then the style how he got caught out himself after playing the first few overs so well, and same with younis khan

im sure alot of south africans feel the same way or did back in the few years after hanse cronje and hershel gibbs were exposed of match fixing, its just skeptical behaviour on my part, and in my opinion you just have to be really naive to think that there is no curroption in cricket.

well i was really enjoying the match especially after the first few overs, pakistan has the ability to win, but i mean, there are some situations where you have to question some stuff, younis dropping two catches off the same player is one of them, im not saying like catches arent dropped when its a "fair game" but i mean since pakistan's image has been tarnished before, spectators will naturally question everything, so naturally me being a passionate spectator have to question kamran's wicket keeping, and then the style how he got caught out himself after playing the first few overs so well, and same with younis khan

Cricketers drop catches. Cricketers give away wides. Cricketers get out. Doesn't mean it's fixed - usually means the players aren't at their best. It also doesn't mean it's crooked. If it did, I should be locked up, my career consisted almost entirely of dropped catches and ducks!
    im sure alot of south africans feel the same way or did back in the few years after hanse cronje and hershel gibbs were exposed of match fixing, its just skeptical behaviour on my part, and in my opinion you just have to be really naive to think that there is no curroption in cricket.

They were definitely skeptical of those players, but they didn't question it when Alan Donald bowled a long hop and was hit for four, or Hashim Amla got out early. One player's actions do not reflect on another's, especially when they're crooked.

I'm not naive about corruption, it has happened and will happen again. However, I'm also not interested in hearing half-baked accusations or suppositions along the lines of "not playing well automatically equals crooked". You're the one who is under the burden to provide the proof of your accusations.

You're the one who is under the burden to provide the proof of your accusations.
    lack of proof doesnt mean a crime hasnt been commited, it likely means the criminals are smart enough to cover their tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just start a thread, this is the World Cup Thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

in some situations history and track record speaks for itself, salman butt and mohammed ameer being banned are evidence enough. the idea of match fixing maybe uncommon in the west, but its pretty common from where i'm from.

Are they playing in this game?

130/4 off 30 overs...double the score would be a tie. Don't want to call this one yet, but India's batsmen aside from Tendulkar are poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Umar Akmal gone... interesting 30 overs no extras by indian bowling + 2 maiden overs.

What a time this would be for Afrida to finally get a good score!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

forget match fixing..enjoy the game. indians are smiling on the field. mumbai on saturday will be fire cracker

lack of proof doesnt mean a crime hasnt been commited, it likely means the criminals are smart enough to cover their tracks.

Sigh. Forget it.

Dooferoaks, you're right. Apologies for side-tracking.

all up to Misbah now, 37 from 12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

heart breaking to see poor misbah left with 4 useless balls and an already decided fate. It was like being sentenced to death, your last few minutes.

Better team won, 4 drop catches of Tendulkar didnt help. If umar gul has better luck it would have been a slightly different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Unlucky Pakistan, thought they might have held India to a chaseable target. Pakistan and Sri Lanka were the best two teams up to the semi finals. Its been a much better tournament than last time out, hoping for a fitting end to it and a great game, backing Sri Lanka in the final (a kiss of death for their chances?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I though the use or lack of use of the powerplay was unbelievable. It was perfect for when Afridi just came into bat. I think it may of cost them the game or at least left us with an amazing finish to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Getting to the semi is a fine result for Pakistan especially when you remember their two best bowlers have been suspended. They have positives to take away from this, today could be a career defining match from Riaz and Shafiq looks a real talent. Umar recently has shown much maturity then he did last summer when he was playing like an idiot in England. He still has work to do to make it but luckily he doesn't seem to be going the way of Ashraful who everyone rightfully has given up on. :)

Gul for most of the World Cup was superb as well, he is only 26 so with him as a bowling spearhead, things are looking good despite the loss of the suspended duo. :)

However they are buts and they are many.:(

Kamran Akmal

His wicket keeping mediocrity has been discussed by everyone, he an absolute disaster with the gloves. However his batting is nowhere near as good as some make it out to be. He consistently gives away his wicket these days. Ideally I would give Umar the gloves, and bring in Shazhad to open. He is raw but the boy looks special, he needs to be persisted with. :)

Younis/ Misbah

Do you need both when you have Shafiq? Both are on the decline and just maybe its time for them to focus on test matches and bring back Alam who has proven he can anchor an innings when called upon.

Razzaq

Was good with the ball against Australia, but with the bat he failed A Lot.
    I still would persist with him as their is really no other alternatives out their and you can't get rid of everyone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

5th victory over Pakistan in WC:D:D:):D:):D:pac:

wonderful performance from Indians, wooo hooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Is Pakistan coach is safe? :D

Any Irish division 1 club any rainy in Ireland far better fielding side than Pakistan. Pakistan has been unpredictable side and will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

cant wait for the finals now. i hope we get to see another fighting game. i am sure sachin wants to see a world cup before he retires. also murali would love to take home second world cup medal with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

final is just scripted for sachin to finally win a world cup and to score his 100 century at his home ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I can't believe the amount of support for Pakistan in here!

Every single pundit out there predicted India is under seriour pressure and that would effect them, and that Pakistan has the advantage as they have performed brilliantly against WI etc.

Indians totally outplayed Pakistan yesterday. Compare Pakistan's fielding and bowling figures against India's. Indian bowlers didn't give a single extra for the first 34 overs - now that is quality bowling and field support.

Yes, Sachin got unusually lucky, but that is not to play he didn't produce some marvelous shots too. If anything that just shows what cost Pakistan the match - their poor performance at the field.

dooferoaks, Pakistan was better team than India in the Semis? Well, I suppose no one can change your opinion if you think so even after yesterdays match!

Better team won. India should have won with much better margin if it wasn't for Yuvraj going out for a golden duck. Pakistan team put up some resistance but they fell apart when faced with a quality team.

Ind-SL finals - now that's going to be really really interesting.

Based on the last few perfromances, SL is in top form. They know how to deal with the Indian grounds, they know how to put loose deliveries far far away - it's going to be mother of all matches for Indians and Sri Lankans!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Support for pakistan is there is because they are an equally good team
    Predictions that home team will be under pressure at home is laughable ! Other sports and sporting nations would laugh at the mere though.
    India should have won with much better margin if it wasn't for Yuvraj going out for a golden duck.

Oh yeah and Pak would have won if umar gul got a wicket, or if Hafeez didnt play that silly shot, or if Umar didnt get out AND IF AND IF AND IF

what a ridiculous statement.

India just won by 29, of course better team won in the end but it could have gone either way. Pakistan have performed much better than India through out the series and that is without our 2 best bowlers.
    Congratulate Indias bowling all you want, the tournament bowling figures speak otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Placebo wrote: »

In your own opinion, not a fact. :) which is okay as we are throwing opinions at each other anyway! And I don't know if you noticed, there seems to be more support here for Pakistan than India - which would be obvious if you read last 3-4 pages here. I was merely wondering why.

PS: Not bothered about the support anyway, it's history, India WON! Now looking forward to SL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

positron wrote: »
    And I don't know if you noticed, there seems to be more support here for Pakistan than India - which would be obvious if you read last 3-4 pages here. I was merely wondering why.

I just did.
    I think you are over-reacting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Placebo wrote: »

For me, they're an all-round better team. Catches aside, a few brain freezes under pressure is their undoing again: Hafeez, Younis, Shafiq, Afridi, Razzaq...103/2 :mad:

I watched the highlights last night of Pakistan's wickets...and:eek: Maybe Riaz, Misbah, Umar and Kamran Akmal can say they were got out.

dfx- wrote: »
    For me, they're an all-round better team. Catches aside, a few brain freezes under pressure is their undoing again: Hafeez, Younis, Shafiq, Afridi, Razzaq...103/2 :mad:

I watched the highlights last night of Pakistan's wickets...and:eek: Maybe Riaz, Misbah, Umar and Kamran Akmal can say they were got out.

I only got to see a few of the wickets on the news last nights and Afridi's wicket looked horrible, a big miss-hit off a full toss and whoever attempted that paddle to a wide full ball :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Lets put it this way Ind batting is way better than Pak and Pak bowling is way better than Ind (besides Zaheer).

What was surprising is that it was Ind bowling which won the match for them and their fielding (which Ind is not known for).

Final should be a good game. Both teams were favorites to reach the final before WC started and there they are....

Advertisement