Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro St Brigids AC Patricks w'end 5k

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scibelle

Anyone know if it's chip timed? I decided to push myself and sign up as a fast jogger for the flora womens mini marathon but need an official chip timed result. I was hoping I could get one from this race. If not, can anyone suggest another race that is on in the next few weeks that would be suitable? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was last year, so I'd imagine it will be again this year.

There's a 5k in Portlaoise on the 17th, don't know if it's chipped. Don't think there are any more in Dublin in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scibelle

^^
    Thanks for that RayCun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nobbin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

nobbin wrote: »

Yeah, I heard it was more likely to be white than green this year. Least most people have plenty of practice running in the snow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'll be meeting family etc after the race, so won't be able to go off for pints, but if you see me, say hello
    5402296084_745d38fb1c.jpg

That's me in the middle, no 257...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Really looking forward to this now.

One of my aims for this year is to run 5K in under 25 minutes.
    It should be possible, but I dont really enjoy running faster, so I want to push myself to do it.

I have my yaktraks, so I dont care if it snows. Mind you, the 25 minutes target would be amended in those circumstances.

Going to the Big Day Out with the kids afterwards. I suppose I'll have to change into normal clothes, or they won't be seen in my company.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

huskerdu wrote: »
    One of my aims for this year is to run 5K in under 25 minutes.
    It should be possible, but I dont really enjoy running faster, so I want to push myself to do it.

I could have written this word-for-word. I'd love to run sub-25 minutes, and it should be possible based on a hillier 5K I did last month, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen this time for me as I've had a funny few months of training. We shall see!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No "official race details within 5 days" or anything :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I haven't run properly in about 2 months now, but I might give this a bash anyway just for fun (and to wake my legs up again after their extended vacation :pac:). Anyone know if you can register on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I haven't run properly in about 2 months now, but I might give this a bash anyway just for fun (and to wake my legs up again after their extended vacation :pac:). Anyone know if you can register on the day?

Previous years that wasn't a problem, price on the day was €20 instead of €15 for pre-reg...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Grand, thanks! I'll probably skip it if it does snow though - I've had enough snow for one year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Have signed up for this one too! Have never actually run a 5k race so will be nice to try go fast (for me) for 5k...and see what time I can do it in - out loud I am aiming for 27:30 or under, inside is a different conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

runrabbit wrote: »
    I could have written this word-for-word. I'd love to run sub-25 minutes, and it should be possible based on a hillier 5K I did last month, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen this time for me as I've had a funny few months of training. We shall see!

I'll see you there. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Looking forward to the this race so much, It's my 1st 5k...ran 24:12 for the 1st 5k in the Raheny 5m...So hoping to break 24 min...going to set my garmin up for milage and run 1.04 miles every 8 mins...Thats the plan...

I don't think you can set laps of 1.04 miles.
    You'd want to run each mile in 7.43, that gets you 23.59

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JosDel wrote: »
    So hoping to break 24 min...
    Likewise, assuming I haven't done myself too much damage in Barcelona.

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think you can set laps of 1.04 miles.
    You'd want to run each mile in 7.43, that gets you 23.59

I'm a geek when it comes to garmins...I'l just keep an eye out at 8 mins and so on to keep on track.

:)
    Easier to set up AutoLap at 1 mile. The Garmin will beep, you look down, and it will say "Lap Pace = ?.??" for the last mile.
    And display current lap pace, so whenever you glance down you can see if it's over or under 7.43.

• Advertisement

Easier to set up AutoLap at 1 mile. The Garmin will beep, you look down, and it will say "Lap Pace = ?.??" for the last mile.
    And display current lap pace, so whenever you glance down you can see if it's over or under 7.43.

Will do Ray, Thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sd2002

Anyone know when online registration closes for this race?

Don't like entering these sort of things til the last minute!

The email with my race number came through last night - check your spam folders if you don't have yours yet...

Got mine also at 22:25

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The email with my race number came through last night - check your spam folders if you don't have yours yet...

Got mine as well, I had been getting worried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

bluewolf wrote: »
    Got mine as well, I had been getting worried :)

Got mine too

they gave me 666, the devils number, are they trying to tell me something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you have a Garmin 305 you could use the Virtual Partner. You'd set a distance and target time and off you go (see manual on how to do this).

The display will show your estimated finish time and it will tell you whether you are ahead or behind the pace, and how far. The display will be a different colour if you are lagging behind your virtual partner.

daymobrew wrote: »
    If you have a Garmin 305 you could use the Virtual Partner. You'd set a distance and target time and off you go (see manual on how to do this).

The display will show your estimated finish time and it will tell you whether you are ahead or behind the pace, and how far. The display will be a different colour if you are lagging behind your virtual partner.

Might test that out over the next few days, I have the 205 which also has the VP.

daymobrew wrote: »

Nice addition, I like the way it averages you over the full distance and not current mile, also the auto stop feature...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Well all,
    Just in case anyone else has encountered this problem, I registered two people off the same email address and I got two emails saying that only one person was registered but they had given two different numbers.
    I called them today and I was just told to reply to one of the emails and give them the correct details.

Advertisement