Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you allow 5yr old son dress as girl?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

WindSock wrote: »
    So your reasoning behind your kid not wearing those clothes is so he doesn't get laughed at by other kids? If other kids parents didn't have the same attitudes as yours, then maybe that wouldn't happen.
    I don't care what clothes a kid of mine would wear if he knows the difference. Not telling him and letting him get laughed at is simply unfair. I never said I wouldn't let him did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So should the kid not be thought the difference between boys and girls clothes then?
    I don't care what clothes a kid of mine would wear if he knows the difference. Not telling him and letting him get laughed at is simply unfair. I never said I wouldn't let him did I?

How would you go about explaining the difference?

'Those clothes are for girls'

'Why?'

'Because they are'

'Why?'

'Because girls like pink and girls wear dresses'

'But I like pink, does that mean I am a girl?'

And this is where I swoop in in my blue superhero costume a bulge in the groin and tell him 'no it doesn't mean anything kiddo, it just means you like the colour pink'.

Eh, maybe scrap the bulge in the groin bit :confused:

How would you go about explaining the difference?

'Those clothes are for girls'

'Why?'

'Because they are'

'Why?'

'Because girls like pink and girls wear dresses'

'But I like pink, does that mean I am a girl?'

And this is where I swoop in in my blue superhero costume a bulge in the groin and tell him 'no it doesn't mean anything kiddo, it just means you like the colour pink'.

Eh, maybe scrap the bulge in the groin bit :confused:
    So you would leave the kid ignorant and send him out in the pink dress?

So you would leave the kid ignorant and send him out in the pink dress?

Well he would have to have gotten the idea to wear the pink dress from somewhere. I wouldn't encourage my kid to wear anything in particular as long as they are dressed neatly.
    Chances are the kid would have had it pointed out to him by others that those clothes are for girrrrrrrrrrrrlllllls anyway. I'd be proud if my wee chap didn't give a toss.

Well he would have to have gotten the idea to wear the pink dress from somewhere. I wouldn't encourage my kid to wear anything in particular as long as they are dressed neatly.
    Chances are the kid would have had it pointed out to him by others that those clothes are for girrrrrrrrrrrrlllllls anyway. I'd be proud if my wee chap didn't give a toss.
    Yeah, and he would get slagged, and may be very upset about that!

So again, would you explain the difference, or let him go out and get slagged because you didnt tell him that they where girls clothes and that would happen, in the hope he wouldnt mind? Little kids can be right dicks to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Poor little focker ,god help her when the pennies drop:D

Yeah, and he would get slagged, and may be very upset about that!

So again, would you explain the difference, or let him go out and get slagged because you didnt tell him that they where girls clothes and that would happen, in the hope he wouldnt mind? Little kids can be right dicks to each other.

Well he would get slagged for wearing glasses too, as pointed out by Links234. Kids can be right dicks to each other and slag each other over anything. hell, he'd even get slagged for wearing a spiderman costume out.
    It is more important to teach your kid how to handle themselves if they get slagged rather than deter them from being different in case they do get it.
    Should I explain evertime my kid does something different that it is not 'normal'
    And again, what how would you go about explaining the difference to your kid?

Well he would get slagged for wearing glasses too, as pointed out by Links234. Kids can be right dicks to each other and slag each other over anything. hell, he'd even get slagged for wearing a spiderman costume out.
    It is more important to teach your kid how to handle themselves if they get slagged rather than deter them from being different in case they do get it.
    Should I explain evertime my kid does something different that it is not 'normal'
    And again, what how would you go about explaining the difference to your kid?
    So he would be wearing glasses and a dress.

So we should actively try to get our kids slagged then? Would you even tell the kid that he may get slagged? Leaving him ignorant would be throwing him to the wolves.

I would tell him that x are boys clothes, Y are girls, boys dont were girls clothes. You can if you really want, but people will laugh at you.

So he would be wearing glasses and a dress.

So we should actively try to get our kids slagged then? Would you even tell the kid that he may get slagged? Leaving him ignorant would be throwing him to the wolves.

I would tell him that x are boys clothes, Y are girls, boys dont were girls clothes. You can if you really want, but people will laugh at you.

I have no idea about the state of my hypothetical son's eyesight or his potential choices of attire. I would not make him wear what he doesn't want to wear.

Where did I say I would actively encourage kids to get slagged? I said I would rather teach them how to handle themselves as well as accepting other kids differences than to be too scared not to conform, if that's what they want to do. Kids will always get slagged over something it is unavoidable, no matter what you do for them.

I would tell him that he will probably encounter MUSSOLINIS boy laughing at him because he doesn't really know why but that doesn't matter as long as he is happy in his choices and doesn't care about what MUSSOLINI or his boy thinks.

I have no idea about the state of my hypothetical son's eyesight or his potential choices of attire. I would not make him wear what he doesn't want to wear.

Where did I say I would actively encourage kids to get slagged? I said I would rather teach them how to handle themselves as well as accepting other kids differences than to be too scared not to conform, if that's what they want to do. Kids will always get slagged over something it is unavoidable, no matter what you do for them.

I would tell him that he will probably encounter MUSSOLINIS boy laughing at him because he doesn't really know why but that doesn't matter as long as he is happy in his choices and doesn't care about what MUSSOLINI or his boy thinks.

Why the fcuk are you trying to frame me like you are?

I already said I don't care what clothes the kid would wear, I just woulnt let him wear a dress and not explain the reaction he would get. Not to do so would be cruel. If he knows he will get slagged and still wants to wear it grand.

• Advertisement

Why the fcuk are you trying to frame me like you are?

I already said I don't care what clothes the kid would wear, I just woulnt let him wear a dress and not explain the reaction he would get. Not to do so would be cruel. If he knows he will get slagged and still wants to wear it grand.

Frame you? No. Just talking of potential hypothetical situations here, like you were when you said I would actively encourage my kids to get slagged. I am looking at your situation from another angle. You tell your little Johnny that that they are girls clothes and he will get slagged for wearing them.
    Johnny goes into school the next day and sees my Tarquin wearing the very same dress he had his eye on and as x follows y....he slags him for dressing like a girl. He doesn't know why he slags him for it though, but where did he get that idea from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Biggins wrote: »
    The parents were/are plonkers for their hyping up of their child and his preference maybe sometimes for what he likes to wear but yet again, as I read stories like this one (this story could break your heart):
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343948/Three-year-old-boy-spends-Christmas-home-dead-mother-thought-sleeping.html
    I just consider myself to be very lucky that my kids are for most, healthy, smiling and with as less pain in their young lives as possible.

A cop out argument that could be applied to anything. If your son failed an exam you could say the same thing, very broad statement.

Personally my son wouldn't get near a dress. Not because it's for my benefit but for his. Can you imagine that kid looking back in fifteen years thinking to himself, 'wtf were my parents doing to me, I didn't know better'. Liberals gone mad if that's the 'normal approach' IMHO, kids have to be guided on the right path, kind of what parenting is.

Frame you? No. Just talking of potential hypothetical situations here, like you were when you said I would actively encourage my kids to get slagged. I am looking at your situation from another angle. You tell your little Johnny that that they are girls clothes and he will get slagged for wearing them.
    Johnny goes into school the next day and sees my Tarquin wearing the very same dress he had his eye on and as x follows y....he slags him for dressing like a girl. He doesn't know why he slags him for it though, but where did he get that idea from?

It appeared you were suggesting that I would be a dick and laugh, and my son would be the same. I reject that.

You acknowledge that the kid would get slagged for wearing a dress yes?

Would it not be best to warn him that he will get slagged for doing so?

I woulnt send my blissfully ignorant son into school doing what he thought was normal(wearing a dress) and not tell him about the reaction it would get, and why people would laugh(cause they are girls clothes).

That in my mind would be cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't have any children but I think if that's what he liked doing and expressed the desire for it of his own accord, hell yeah. I'd want to protect him too though so I'd make sure it wasn't in a situation where he could get abuse, certainly wouldn't be making a point of it, without any say from him, in order to show how right-on I am.

My friend wanted to wear women's clothing and accessories when he was a kid - his parents let him as it made him happy. Healthier than refusing IMO.

Advertisement