Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you allow 5yr old son dress as girl?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why in the name of God would you allow a five year old child to decide what type of clothes to wear? Children at that age don't have any sense.
    To stop the little bollocks from crying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

WindSock wrote: »
    Why should there be a difference?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Weren't you born under a bridge?

It was a genuine question but I can see where you're coming from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's interesting to see people stick to 'this is for boys and this is for girls' so rigidly, considering articles like:
    http://history.verdeserve.com/pink-wasnt-always-considered-a-feminine-color-and-blue-wasnt-always-masculine/
    In 100 years' time people might be insisting on some other convention that seems silly today.

The only difference that should be 'explained' is that boys usually don't wear dresses so people might react to him funny, not that they shouldn't wear them. That said, I don't think kids are so self conscious anyway as to care what people think to that degree, so even that might be pushing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't believe I would. but then, I imagine I would be inclined to stick a kid that young in fairly sexless clothes. you know....like a child.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    you are in for it now!
    He asked why there is a difference between boy's clothes and girl's clothes. Hell I thought all of this was common sense but it appears not.

P.S I know! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So you think it is important to instill gender roles from an early age? Do you think gender roles are important to our society?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He asked why there is a difference between boy's clothes and girl's clothes. Hell I thought all of this was common sense but it appears not.

She asked why you think there should be, not why there is.

I asked why should there be a difference, and an opinion would have been better than a wiki link.

• Advertisement

The reasons don't matter, but there IS a difference, even if you don't want there to be.

So you think it is important to instill gender roles from an early age? Do you think gender roles are important to our society?
    Parents don't instill gender differences, I believe they are for the most part inherent at birth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol no.
    but then id run a very strict household which would follow the Chopper way of life

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's interesting to see people stick to 'this is for boys and this is for girls' so rigidly, considering articles like:
    http://history.verdeserve.com/pink-wasnt-always-considered-a-feminine-color-and-blue-wasnt-always-masculine/
    In 100 years' time people might be insisting on some other convention that seems silly today.

The only difference that should be 'explained' is that boys usually don't wear dresses so people might react to him funny, not that they shouldn't wear them. That said, I don't think kids are so self conscious anyway as to care what people think to that degree, so even that might be pushing it.

Interesting link, if it is true. Just goes to show that the colours meanings are entirely constructed and can change quite quickly, just like fashion.

As for girls 'liking pink more' I don't know about that, but I did read before that girls are attracted to brighter colours as a throwback from the gathering of berries days. Don't know how much of it is true.

The reasons don't matter, but there IS a difference, even if you don't want there to be.

The reasons do matter if such a big deal is being made over a kids choice of clothes.
    The only differences are biological ones.
    Parents don't instill gender differences, I believe they are for the most part inherent at birth.

Parents and society do, again the only differences beyond control are biological / physical ones.

The reasons do matter if such a big deal is being made over a kids choice of clothes.
    The only differences are biological ones.

So should the kid not be thought the difference between boys and girls clothes then?

Parents and society do, again the only differences beyond control are biological / physical ones.
    Little boy's and girl's brains are different. This makes boys interested in things like cars, soilders, tractors etc and makes girls interested in dolls, Barbies, and other pink things. There's more to gender then what is between the childs legs you know.

So should the kid not be thought the difference between boys and girls clothes then?

What does that really mean though?
    I mean, there is a difference in what currently is actually worn. But what should the difference be really? Would there be such a massive problem if lots of boys really decided to wear pink dresses more often? What if it became more normal for them to do so?
    It's so interesting as well that it's all one-sided, because nobody cares if girls wear jeans and stuff

Little boy's and girl's brains are different. This makes boys interested in things like cars, soilders, tractors etc and makes girls interested in dolls, Barbies, and other pink things. There's more to gender then what is between the childs legs you know.

Is it any wonder when little boys are taught to say 'yuck pink is for girls' and girls are told from birth that pink is for them?
    I mean I honestly don't know enough about nature vs nurture, but there certainly seems to be a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy going on

Is it any wonder when little boys are taught to say 'yuck pink is for girls' and girls are told from birth that pink is for them?
    I mean I honestly don't know enough about nature vs nurture, but there certainly seems to be a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy going on
    Well, yeah. I mean pink used to be a boy's colour after all. But ask any little girl what her favourite colour is and nine out of ten times they'll probably say pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Well, yeah. I mean pink used to be a boy's colour after all. But ask any little girl what her favourite colour is and nine out of ten times they'll probably say pink.

that doesn't prove your point even a little bit.

• Advertisement

that doesn't prove your point even a little bit.
    I'm not trying to prove any point. If I could prove the nature vs nurture debate then there would be no need for Sociology.

I'm just saying I think it's wrong to let five year olds decide what they want to wear when they are too young to know the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh sure, women are raised from age zero in entirely pink of everything and it explains why women nearly en masse dump the colour pink when they can think of their own accord when they reach their teens. Just look at our society today, women wearing pink is getting rarer and they wear dark colours like blue!

Explain that one! (must that lesbianism plague that was spoken about earlier? :D)

What does that really mean though?
    I mean, there is a difference in what currently is actually worn. But what should the difference be really? Would there be such a massive problem if lots of boys really decided to wear pink dresses more often? What if it became more normal for them to do so?
    It's so interesting as well that it's all one-sided, because nobody cares if girls wear jeans and stuff
    There wouldnt be a big deal if every little boy suddenly decided, but thats not the case, we are talking about one.

It would be idiotic and unfair not to teach a child the difference because of some ideal, and let him wear what he thinks are "normal" clothes, when in fact they are girls. If he knows they are girls and wants to wear them, thats different, but pretending all clothes are the same is unfair on the child. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

When I was 10 years old I had a pink teddy. It was only 2 inches in length and 1 inch in width, and imaginatively I named it "Pinky".I used to have it with me all the time for about 2 months of summer before I grew apart from it.

I'm now 16 years old but the whole pink teddy phase seemed to have little effect on me as I'm not a raging homosexual, bisexual, transsexual or anything else instead I'm a heterosexual like the majority of boys my age.The only effect it seems to have had on me was that I wear pink shirts quite liberally and have no objection or problem to gays or gay marriage ?

So boardsies, what was the problem with my pink teddy phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well he's not gonna get slagged by his friends when he's a teenager - I reckon I'd have reason to kick the head of my auld pair if they did that too me when I was too young to know better

gurramok wrote: »
    Yeh sure, women are raised from age zero in entirely pink of everything and it explains why women nearly en masse dump the colour pink when they can think of their own accord when they reach their teens. Just look at our society today, women wearing pink is getting rarer and they wear dark colours like blue!

Explain that one! (must that lesbianism plague that was spoken about earlier? :D)
    Simple, pink is seen as an immature colour that is associated with little girls. A women reaching her teens drops pink because she wants to be seen as an adult and not a little girl.

You don't see many men wearing baby blue either.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Simple, pink is seen as an immature colour that is associated with little girls. A women reaching her teens drops pink because she wants to be seen as an adult and not a little girl.
    You've clearly never seen the Women's Mini-Marathon expo then. Explosion in the pink factory. *barf*

You've clearly never seen the Women's Mini-Marathon expo then. Explosion in the pink factory. *barf*
    lol, good point. I guess it can also be seen as a fun colour or a colour that is typically feminine. After all it's the colour of choice for hen parties aswell.

There wouldnt be a big deal if every little boy suddenly decided, but thats not the case, we are talking about one.

It would be idiotic and unfair not to teach a child the difference because of some ideal, and let him wear what he thinks are "normal" clothes, when in fact they are girls. If he knows they are girls and wants to wear them, thats different, but pretending all clothes are the same is unfair on the child. imo.

So your reasoning behind your kid not wearing those clothes is so he doesn't get laughed at by other kids? If other kids parents didn't have the same attitudes as yours, then maybe that wouldn't happen.

lol, good point. I guess it can also be seen as a fun colour or a colour that is typically feminine. After all it's the colour of choice for hen parties aswell.

And what about the men who wear pink shirts and ties?

• Advertisement

There is nothing that 'makes' kids interested in these things but marketing and society. Kids generally play with what is available to them.

Advertisement