Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you allow 5yr old son dress as girl?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He's only five for gods sake!

He's healthy, he's happy and he's having fun.
    Gee, one could have bigger worries with kids that age.
    Take a trip to Crumlin Hospital in Dublin and see more serious concerns about five years olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My parents did that to me and I grew up to be perfectly normal.

*fixes bra*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

plenty of girls dressing as boys

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes but I wouldn't show him off like some freak.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The poor thing looks petrified!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Haven't clicked the link but does he generally look like he's going to grow up to be a fruit regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A kick up the hole is what he needs.

Biggins wrote: »
    O' get over it - he's only five for gods sake!

He's healthy, he's happy and he's having fun.
    Gee, one could have bigger worries with kids that age.
    Take a trip to Crumlin Hospital in Dublin and see more serious concerns about five years olds!

I know that Biggins, you are not the only one to have ever crossed the doors of CCH.

Im just saying personally, I wouldnt allow it. I know hes having fun, I have no problem with that,have no problem with the way hes dressing, I know kids dress up, Ive raised two myself. the problem I have Biggins is the parents encouraging it, and then parading the child around the talk show circuit.

I think the child is being set up for serious issues later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I wouldn't.

Think (hope) its a faze, all kids seem to like wearing their mothers shoes but that seems a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls,
    It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    A kick up the hole is what he needs.

I think the parents could use the kick up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So did her son sell many books for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

IN B4 thread turns into trannys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

my 1 and a half year old daughter wears jeans and rugby jersey's as well as her girly clothes, she plays with rugby balls, Lego, and cars alongside her more girly toys, is that wrong?

Jake1 wrote: »
    I know that Biggins, you are not the only one to have ever crossed the doors of CCH.

Im just saying personally, I wouldnt allow it. I know hes having fun, I have no problem with that,have no problem with the way hes dressing, I know kids dress up, Ive raised two myself. the problem I have Biggins is the parents encouraging it, and then parading the child around the talk show circuit.

I think the child is being set up for serious issues later in life.

What a kid does in play and what he/she wants changes monthly, if not weekly so in all honesty if he/she is left to their own devices and nothing is said or a fuss is not made out of an issue, they quickly move on to the next thing that catches their interest.

Whoever uploaded the video was just stupid. They made the matter an issue and possibly because a child might see that "O' I get extra attention because of this" the said child would then stick with the un-preferred mode of behaviour.

Its best at that age to leave them to their own devices and let them move on shortly thereafter, if thats what they chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

my 1 and a half year old daughter wears jeans and rugby jersey's as well as her girly clothes, she plays with rugby balls, Lego, and cars alongside her more girly toys, is that wrong?

Jeans, rugby jersey and Lego are not reserved for boys in most people minds.

A boy dressing skirts and dress and playing with Barbies tends to get people concerned.

my daughter wears jeans and rugby jersey's as well as her girly clothes, she plays with rugby balls, Lego, and cars alongside her more girly toys, is that wrong?

Of course its not, I think you are missing the point. Do you parade her around TV as being different for wearing such attire? I doubt it.
    These parents ARE saying hey we have a little boy who we like to encourage to wear whats broadly to be considered female attire, and we like to bring him on national tv and write books about it.

Thats my problem. Ive already said Ive raised two children myself. But no way in hell would I have let my son as a 5 year old boy decide for himself that he wanted to dress as a woman, when as an adult I would be fully expected to realise the problems he could incur later in life as a result of my bringing him on National Television. There is a difference I thought.
    I have no probs men dressing as women or women dressing as men. People can do what they want when they are old enough to understand the consequences. Im sure that little guy has no idea the 'fun and games' he is in for when he starts secondary school, and the you tube video will be his nemesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

I would let my son dress up if he wanted, being a kid is all about learning different things and to say to your boy 'you can't try a skirt on' when his sister is happily running around in jeans, without any explanation of why, is silly. Kids don't know why a boy wearing a dress is weird, and we as adults only think it's weird because we think it's weird - there's no solid reason for it apart from gender stereotyping that has been established in our minds as kids.

I do heartily disagree with the mother parading the child around the talk show circuit, and cashing in on something that may really be just a phase. Lots of little kids go through odd stages in growing up; this little boy should be let enjoy himself wearing dresses if he wants, but it's horrible of the mother to get public attention on him for her financial gain. Unless she thinks its some sort of moral crusade?

Biggins wrote: »
    What a kid does in play and what he/she wants changes monthly, if not weekly so in all honesty if he/she is left to their own devices and nothing is said or a fuss is not made out of an issue, they quickly move on to the next thing that catches their interest.

Whoever uploaded the video was just stupid. They made the matter an issue and possibly because a child might see that "O' I get extra attention because of this" the said child would then stick with the un-preferred mode of behaviour.

Its best at that age to leave them to their own devices and let them move on shortly thereafter, if thats what they chose.

I agree with you on this for sure. But see, in this case, they indulged him, they didnt leave him to his own devices. They BUY him pink sparkly clothes to wear in Public.

We'll most likely not agree on this, but I'll just say again, I personally would not have done this with my child.

Biggins it was a video uploaded, the kid was on NATIONAL Television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

A poll would be interesting. "Mother + (y or n), Father + (y or n)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭amacca

Kid likes wearing dresses and the colours pink and red....at that age I liked guns, cars and getting dirty- not much has changed.

So hes probably a cross dresser...big woop.

parents publicise the fact before hes in a position to decide for himself if he wants this to be public knowledge for more than likely commercial reasons - possibly irresponsible parenting methinks

Hope they teach him how to blend in if he ends up getting educated/living life in certain environments or else teach him how to stand up for himself effectively.

If it was none of his Idea and they put him up to it, then they should be shot.

Are you with me on this Mussolini?

I've four kids.
    One boy (4+) jumps in and out of his sisters dresses faster than I can cook his dinners daily.
    * Does he look worried? Nope.
    * Does he look like he's turning gay because of it (let be honest, this is possibly an underlying issue for some)?
    Nope, he looks like he's having fun.
    * Does it look like its having any detrimental effect upon him. Not a bit.

This worrying about how a five year old dresses does expose however other issues that lie within folk that might have their own attitudes to life choices of others unresolved!

I certainly would not have made the matter a public issue, by the video, etc...
    After that, I would while the kid was at home, give him some free rein to let him grow and if he chose to, move on...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Biggins it was a video uploaded, the kid was on NATIONAL Television.

Why the "national" emphasis? And surely it's international by now? :confused:

so we could ALL be in agreement then? we have no problems with the boy dressing that way, just a problem with how the parents handled it.

That was my problem , not the child. My son is 25, wears eyeliner and black nail polish. Looks great in it too. :) hes in a band tho, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I didnt watch he whole vid so if I missed something call me on it.But just by looking at the first few minutes it doesnt look like the kid has any strong male role models to look up to.It also screams 'only child' to me.But so what if he wears dresses and what-like .It's likely just a phase he is going through.You can't judge a child on who he is going to become by what interests and mannerisms he has as a very young kid.I'd be much more worried about whether or not he was courtous and respectfull to his parents and peers and what values he is taught over whether he has different tastes and mannerism than the norm at his age.

so we could ALL be in agreement then? we have no problems with the boy dressing that way, just a problem with how the parents handled it.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'd like to comment but when I was 16 I was having a party and my sis took down my photo album and there was a picture of me in a dress doing the I'm a little teapop pose. I was quite shocked, but hey, I turned out a perfectly normal manly man.

*prances away merrily*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's amazing the hang-ups that people still harbour these days.

It's 2011, not 1911... you think we would have gone past the stage of being sexuality retards at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Jeans, rugby jersey and Lego are not reserved for boys in most people minds.

A boy dressing skirts and dress and playing with Barbies tends to get people concerned.

but why?if its no big deal for girls to wear items that were traditionally male attire then why is it such an issue for boys to wear clothes that were traditionally female attire?

Of course its not, I think you are missing the point. Do you parade her around TV as being different for wearing such attire? I doubt it.
    These parents ARE saying hey we have a little boy who we like to encourage to wear whats broadly to be considered female attire, and we like to bring him on national tv and write books about it.

Thats my problem. Ive already said Ive raised two children myself. But no way in hell would I have let my son as a 5 year old boy decide for himself that he wanted to dress as a woman, when as an adult I would be fully expected to realise the problems he could incur later in life as a result of my bringing him on National Television. There is a difference I thought.
    I have no probs men dressing as women or women dressing as men. People can do what they want when they are old enough to understand the consequences. Im sure that little guy has no idea the 'fun and games' he is in for when he starts secondary school, and the you tube video will be his nemesis.

apologies i may have mis-understood your problem, i also completely disagree with the way his parents have handled this, they have made a non-issue into a major issue/publicity stunt, that will probably come back to haunt him later in life!

they should just accept he does things different to what they expected and maybe he will grow out of it and maybe he won't but at least they should learn the difference between giving a child what they want and supporting them...

• Advertisement

It's amazing the hang-ups that people still harbour these days.

It's 2011, not 1911... you think we would have gone past the stage of being sexuality retards at this stage.

You missed the whole point there didnt you?:rolleyes:

Advertisement