Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you allow 5yr old son dress as girl?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Links234 wrote: »
    Zohan's idea of good parenting is a "kick up the hole", so he's hardly worth arguing with

Lol, good man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Jake1 wrote: »
    Would you mind if I asked had you children? Im not trying to be a smart arse, just curious.
    If so, would you allow your son to play out in a dress? Equally if he wanted to wear a dress for his communion, like that boy in the pics earlier, would you really honestly be okay with that? Knowing the possible abuse the child would suffer?

no, I don't have children, but I was bullied as a child and I know what it's like.

but what really gets to me, is this kowtowing to the bully mentality. I constantly hear that in reference to gay adoption, that the child would probably be bullied. but the fault lies 100% with the bullies.

kids get bullied over wearing glasses, do you get glasses for your child that has a sight defect, knowing the possible abuse the child would suffer? same principle.

I think it's very wrong thinking that a child should change on account of bullies, because that just feeds into their self confidence, and if a kid is made to feel guilt and shame over their expression, interests, or things they can't help, then I think that's gonna be really damaging. I would much rather have been told to hold my head high as a kid, and not care what other people think, because that's something that I didn't learn until much later in life, and it's something pretty essential in life too. instead, I was made to feel ashamed that I wasn't like other kids, or that I wasn't into sports. I was made to feel ashamed that I was sensitive. how the hell is that good for anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

TheZohan wrote: »
    Lol, good man woman. ;)

fixed it for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Zohan's idea of good parenting is a "kick up the hole", so he's hardly worth arguing with
    Aaa.. bless ya, you don't really know the Zohan like we do. :pac:

Your lucky! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

fixed it for you

Weren't you born a dude?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

my 1 and a half year old daughter wears jeans and rugby jersey's as well as her girly clothes, she plays with rugby balls, Lego, and cars alongside her more girly toys, is that wrong?

Yes. Throw her in the wood chipper before it's too late. I recommend the Craftsman 2 way 305cc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

first thing is that knowing the attitudes of people in after hours, I'd bet a lot of you would be up in arms about publicizing that a child is adopted, because there's a stigma that there's something wrong about being adopted and that kids might bully a child for that. instead of secrecy or shame about it, we are shown a child that is very happy and I think challenging the stigma attatched to adoptive children publically, is far better than them living with shame from it.

Do you genuinely believe this?

there is a huge difference between parading a young boy's (considered unusual) habit all over TV and revealing that a child is adopted. For starters there are hugely different acceptance rates between the two and also the second isn't as likely to raise mental issues in the child in future if he decides that he now likes boy clothes.

An adopted child knows that he is adopted and will most likely come to terms with that in some way or another. To parade a child around for 'being different' is disgusting imo and could really come back to screw him up in the future.

None of that is saying that I have a problem with the boy dressing as he wishes. Just the way the parents are trying to cash in on it rather than just let him be. Watch that video. That poor little boy looks absolutely petrified. Could you really do that to your own child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

The parents of that child deserve to get a bloody good smack on the arses. Children role play, Its a part of growing up, we have all played mammies & daddys, doctors & nurses and yes Ive been stung with the daddy role myself. My son is very much a boyish boy but if he were to try on my make up thats fine because Its only PLAY. I think most of our parents have photos of us as children that they whip out to our boyfriends/girlfriends at some stage in order to get a giggle. My family blew up phots of my brother wearing a dress for his 21st. But It was him PLAYING. The parents of that child are making a mockery of what all children do at some time or another & making what is innocent not so. Do they not realise that there are sick ****s out there that could possibly get 'kicks' out of that video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

azezil wrote: »
    Correct

That sounds like you're contradicting what you just said.

No... you took my sentence & edited it to make it seem like I was contradicting myself, but I clearly wasn't.

I can do the same with you post.

Watch...

That sounds like you're contradicting

No, I'm not. You're editing of my sentence only made it look that way, don't you agree?
    Correct - what you just said.

Thanks, I knew you'd see it my way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My grandfather was dressed as a girl at that age - and that was nearly 100 years ago - they wanted a girl so for the first few years dressed him as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

TheZohan wrote: »
    Weren't you born a dude?

Weren't you born under a bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

It's fine for a 5 year old to dress whichever way he wants. Stage parents on the other hand... yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It seems the kid or the parents don't have a problem with it.

It's other people who have a problem with it. Maybe they should look at themselves and their own issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Any more flaming = Bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Food for thought. kids are kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Conor D wrote: »
    @starbelgrade
    @Mussolini

My statement is what it is. Regardless of Hemmingway's suicide he was regarded as one of the greatest journalists of all time before moving into writing novels where he was regarded equally in high regard. Dito Nicholson in acting.

Both made a name for themselves as womanisers.

I am not saying either means 'success' however I am addressing the 2 main concerns people may have regarding putting a boy in girls clothes:

1 Will this mean the boy will be homosexual
    2 Will this mean the boy may not succeed because of confusion

PLEASE NOTE:

I DID NOT SAY there is anything wrong with being homosexual or with not reaching your potential.

I DID SAY what we wear as kids doesn't amount to a hill of beans

Hemingway was an alcoholic, a wife-beater, a liar and a fraud. He suffered greatly with depression, anxiety and paranoia. He spent the last year of his life convinced the CIA were after him. Numerous members of his family killed themselves.

Is it important to explain to the kids what the clothes mean? Sure the kid may think of them as just clothes, later in life he may be pissed at the folks for letting him make a fool of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

There's nothing wrong with a five year old dressing up as a girl. Would anyone object if he wanted to dress up as a gorilla? Honest to God, my son wore his Spiderman costume every day for three months. I had to wash it while he was asleep.
    Dressing up is part of growing up. And if he's ten and still wants to dress as a girl, maybe then its time to explain that its unusual (not abnormal) but he will have figured it out by then.
    Let the kid be a kid I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I teach 4/5 year olds.

A boy in my class raves about Friday being 'Costume Day' and informs me of his princess costume and such. Same boy took a doll to school one day to play with.

His mother was a little concerned and said she's trying to wean him out of it.

I told her that she need not have any huge concerns - he's only 5! Boys [and girls!] at that age look to pretend, to engage in fantasy play, and the make believe. Whilst I don't think parading him around and labelling him as 'Princess Boy' or whatever is appropriate, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 5 year old boy dressing up in girls clothing.

5 year old girls often put their Mammy's high heels on and wear lipstick - is this wrong?

Young children adore play and make believe. Let them be children.

I've heard some boys in my class say 'Oh no pink is a girls colour!' - Where do they get such silly nonsense?! Clearly at home such stereotypes like 'blue is a boys colour/skirts are for girls' are encouraged at home, when really, there shouldn't be such a huge emphasis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If there was some way I could exploit it for commercial gain: yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Allow it? I'd encourage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Is it important to explain to the kids what the clothes mean? Sure the kid may think of them as just clothes, later in life he may be pissed at the folks for letting him make a fool of himself.

Why is it foolish to wear these clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Allow it? I'd encourage it.
    ?

WindSock wrote: »
    Why is it foolish to wear these clothes?
    Cause he would be laughed at.

If he doesen't cop that the clothes are girls clothes and just thinks of all clothes as the same, when he eventually cops on he may be pissed.

"Why did you let me wear girls clothes ffs?"

Cause he would be laughed at.

If he doesen't cop that the clothes are girls clothes and just thinks of all clothes as the same, when he eventually cops on he may be pissed.

"Why did you let me wear girls clothes ffs?"

What if he were more pissed because he wasn't allowed wear them?

WindSock wrote: »
    What if he were more pissed because he wasn't allowed wear them?
    Thats why I am saying to teach the kid the difference, then let him decide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the kid would be more embarrassed in the 'god I was on tv as a kid, cringe' way than anything else. Or 'what the hell was up with that perm??' kind of way.

Why should there be a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why in the name of God would you allow a five year old child to decide what type of clothes to wear? Children at that age don't have any sense.

Advertisement