Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly we already have the second highest alcohol pricing in Europe and one of the highest binge drinking problems, the only logical conclusion to take from this is price is not a factor and people who want to get fall down drunk will continue to do so regardless of price

Probably a big reason the Government introduced this, overtly it's all about reducing consumption, but us Irish love our drink. We'll moan about it but will still pay up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

K-9 wrote: »
    Probably a big reason the Government introduced this, overtly it's all about reducing consumption, but us Irish love our drink. We'll moan about it but will still pay up.

Home brew kits are on the rise. I've already got the bathtub scrubbed and am looking to buy potatoes wholesale. In a year, we'll be just like Russia - dead drunk or just plain dead by 9 AM on homemade vodka.
    Dosvedanya.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

If publicans can't be bothered to adapt to the times, they deserve to go out of business. I live in a working class suburb of Dublin, if I go down to my local pub, a pint costs me a fiver, mixed spirits around 7.50, a cocktail probably around a tenner or more depending on which one. If I go into town, where there's a lot more competition, certain bars I can have a pint for 3.50, or mixed spirits for a fiver, and the same cocktail that would cost a tenner or more in my local would cost five or six euro. All while offering a much better atmosphere, with a much better selection of music and of course, their rent is much higher. If bars that have competition can have lower prices, then so can pubs that are on the verge of going out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Is there any evidence people are just drinking less?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Is there any evidence people are just drinking less?

There is. It has been posted on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Varadkar has become intoxicated on his own self-importance, if he had any decency he wouldn't show his face in public after his "not another red cent" spiel. At this stage I wish he and the rest of them in FG\Lab would just fcuk off and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

I've just spent the last hour researching how to make Poitin, it's actually not dangerous at all if you have a ounce of common sense.

It's what our ancestors did when they couldn't afford the taxes associated with brewing.

I remember visiting a friends 'poitin stil' in a timber shed at the bottom of his garden in Connemara in the 1980's. They were very happy people and produced the cleanest alcohol I've ever tasted.

All I need to figure out is where to buy a big bag of yeast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    I've just spent the last hour researching how to make Poitin, it's actually not dangerous at all if you have a ounce of common sense.

It's what our ancestors did when they couldn't afford the taxes associated with brewing.

I remember visiting a friends 'poitin stil' in a timber shed at the bottom of his garden in Connemara in the 1980's. They were very happy people and produced the cleanest alcohol I've ever tasted.

My doctor says I have a yeast infection, so I may be able to help you out there.

You'll also need a lot of sugar. My uncle used to make Poitin as a wee sideline. A Cash and Carry card comes in handy for bulk purchases beneath the radar.
    Yes, its dead easy to make. Also deadly if screwed up. Remember proper poitin is as near to pure alcohol as possible so don't drink liquids for 12 hours after the piss-up no matter how thirsty you feel. The imbibed alcohol mixes with the tea / coffee / water and floods your system again. A sip or two of water and a "never again" will keep you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Isn't the point of minimum pricing to target alcohol consumption nationwide ?
    The more the legal drink is, the easier it'll be to buy the illegal type that won't care if you're not over 18.

Looking forward to Wetherspoons opening in Swords in June!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The imbibed alcohol mixes with the tea / coffee / water and floods your system again. A sip or two of water and a "never again" will keep you happy.

Eh no..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

You'll also need a lot of sugar. My uncle used to make Poitin as a wee sideline. A Cash and Carry card comes in handy for bulk purchases beneath the radar.
    Yes, its dead easy to make. Also deadly if screwed up. Remember proper poitin is as near to pure alcohol as possible so don't drink liquids for 12 hours after the piss-up no matter how thirsty you feel. The imbibed alcohol mixes with the tea / coffee / water and floods your system again. A sip or two of water and a "never again" will keep you happy.

What a load of utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

Thanks for the advice, I plan to water it down with maybe 1 to 5 parts Cola, I live in a housing estate but have a big wooden shed.

I don't think anyone would suspect anything if I used a cheap electric hob? I read that the biggest giveaway in days of old was the smoke from the turf?

I'm definitely going to give it a go, I like alcohol and feel guilty spending money on it when I have kids who need the money more than me...

Thanks for the advice, I plan to water it down with maybe 1 to 5 parts Cola, I live in a housing estate but have a big wooden shed.

I don't think anyone would suspect anything if I used a cheap electric hob? I read that the biggest giveaway in days of old was the smoke from the turf?

I'm definitely going to give it a go, I like alcohol and feel guilty spending money on it when I have kids who need the money more than me...

In the old, old, olden days of the Irish RM...yup. Only giveaway now would be those bulk purchases and selling it for profit. Good luck on your ventures. And don't let the kids in on the deal. They have a habit of tasting before thinking. I speak from experience...first time drunk ? - passed out in a Mayo field aged 5. I came very close to not being here.

This is homemade, not the labelled rubbish sold in pubs. You can be looking at alcohol content of 50-60% proof. Ideally it should be whisky / vodka safe at 40%. It can go to higher lethal levels - that's why we don't drink ethanol even though it looks like a nice glass of gin or vodka.
    What you shouldn't let happen is your own body become the distillery - a liver has a lot to put up with - a cottage industry isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Drinking water the morning after a serious session will get you the "drunk buzz" for the same reason as not drinking much after drinking the proper sh|te, and not the tourist sh|te that most people only know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No there is actually some truth behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

This is homemade, not the labelled rubbish sold in pubs. You can be looking at alcohol content of 50-60% proof. Ideally it should be whisky / vodka safe at 40%. It can go to higher lethal levels - that's why we don't drink ethanol even though it looks like a nice glass of gin or vodka.
    What you shouldn't let happen is your own body become the distillery - a liver has a lot to put up with - a cottage industry isn't one of them.

You realise that makes no sense right there

Timmyctc wrote: »

No. Enlighten me. I'm high and the birds are croaking. Roast pigeon and a waffle. Or sleep.
    Oh, by the bye, the C & C bulk buying thing is a good tip but only on industrial levels. For a shed in the back garden, just the nearest Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

IPA is particularly horrible stuff, the smell alone is rank.
    There was a time that I might have agreed with you but that was a long time ago. Right now I love the stuff. Real beer with real taste
    Guinness or smithwicks in the pub and Bavaria in the house is where its at.
    The odd pint of Guinness is ok depending on where it's poured.
    Smithwicks is rank IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Craft beer is pure piss, all your raving about it won't change that fact.
    Your opinion, not fact
    Have you tasted every beer to make that ridiculous generalization?
    Is there any particular reason you think it makes you look cool acting like an arrogant snob, or is that just how you actually are?.
    Maybe he/she just likes the taste?

I love going out and trying different types of beer.
    If more pubs sold other than the usual fizzy water they might attract more customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Xenji wrote: »
    No there is actually some truth behind it.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Which is it? I've head this before but not drinking water for 12 hours after drinking poitin sounds counter intuitive to say the least. I'm sceptical about this "redrunkening" idea. Any scientific basis for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Which is it? I've head this before but not drinking water for 12 hours after drinking poitin sounds counter intuitive to say the least. I'm sceptical about this "redrunkening" idea. Any scientific basis for this?

Timmyctc at least was talking about the '50-60% proof' comment, as the poster probably means 50-60%ABV, rather than alcohol proof, which isn't a percentage, but a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Craft beer is pure piss

Just think about what you said there. What a stupid statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just think about what you said there. What a stupid statement!

But yet the people saying all mass produced beers are shíte are all 100% correct, no questions asked, no dissenting opinions allowed.

Juxtaposing the stupid shíte that craft beer snobs spout with that post with the roles reversed and looking at their reactions goes to show they're full of the crap they say all other beers taste like.

And for the record, craft beer DOES taste like crap. Because it's beer, all of which I think tastes like ass anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But yet the people saying all mass produced beers are shíte are all 100% correct, no questions asked, no dissenting opinions allowed.

Juxtaposing the stupid shíte that craft beer snobs spout with that post with the roles reversed and looking at their reactions goes to show they're full of the crap they say all other beers taste like.

And for the record, craft beer DOES taste like crap. Because it's beer, all of which I think tastes like ass anyways.
    Ok so you dont like beer full stop.

But I would agree, not all macro brewed beer is piss and not all micro brewed beer is good by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I wonder if this law might backfire, end up causing an increase in the sale of alcohol?

The figures below are made up to make the calculations simpler.

Today, a bottle of cognac costs €50. A can of Dutch Gold costs €1.

After the new law is introduced, the bottle of cognac must cost *at least* €20. In reality, it will stay at €50.
    After the new law is introduced, the can of Dutch Gold must cost *at least* €2. Its price will move to €2.

Now, I want a bottle of cognac. I'm not pushed about buying Dutch Gold for €2 per can. What's to stop a shop from advertising "Bumper deal - buy a bottle of cognac and ten cans of Dutch Gold for €60!". The average cost per ml of alcohol is above the legal minimum. If pushed, the shop can provide a breakdown: cognac (special deal) €40, cans €2 each.

I'm using the extreme example of cognac and Dutch Gold, but the principle can be applied to any combination where one product costs above the legal minimum and another costs below it. In fact, maybe the compensating product doesn't have to be alcohol at all - "buy ten cans at €2 each and get a tank of petrol for €50 (normal price €60)!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Eutow wrote: »
    Instead of having a minimum price, charge and fine people for the use of Garda and HSE resources if they are drunk and causing trouble. Fine pubs for continually serving people that then cause trouble. Make people responsible for their actions. Leave people who can handle their drink, and don't cause trouble alone.

How is that any different from my suggestion? You accuse (I use accuse loosely) me of passing the buck, yet you pass it to the vintners. The courts and prisons are already overcrowded and under resourced without charging everyone the Garda deem as drunk or trouble and them ending up in front of a judge. Ideally everyone would act responsible and behave but lets face it we don't live in an ideal world, we do live in a country where our drink problem is getting worse in eyes.

I also think having 90% of pubs in Dublin close at the same time is absolute madness too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lads, what's the chances of this being implemented in reality?

Serious question?

Will the EU put an end to this idea or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ah had nothing to do with health and drinking responsible , just a smoke screen. Has everything to do with increasing revenue and looking after our publicans who would rather try and drag people and their wallets into the pub that invite them with decent competition and pricing.

**** them , either people will cross the border and stock up on drink or they'll brew there beer at home , which is cheaper , quick enough (3 weeks) and a bit of craic anyway. Plus once you get decent at it the beer is nicer anyway.

So yeah , I don't really care at this stage there is always a way around it but I won't be paying €8 for a 4 pack of piss water.

Advertisement