Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I predict a 300% increase in people travelling to Newry to buy drink again. Fair play FG!

It's only coming in when NI do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Make sure to let them know how you feel:

enquiries@vintners.ie

leoconstituency@health.gov.ie

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Minimum price 'per unit' - most Craft Beer is relatively high volume (compared to the budget beers) and thus contains more 'units' so they'll go up in price too

Let's do the sums on this.

O'Hara's Leann Follain - 50cl at 6% ABV.

The V refers to volume, so can I assume 30ml of pure alcohol?

That means (30ml / 12.66ml) = 2.4 RoI units or 23.7 grams of alcohol.

So the min price should be:

9c per gram = 2.13 euro

11c per gram = 2.60 euro

Now it currently sells for 2.89, or is it over 3.00 now?

Actually 3.25 in DrinkStore

Now, what this will stop is BOGOF deals, or 4 for 10 euro, etc.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You cannot compare dutch gold to pretty much any IPA.

Your tastebuds are dead sir.

There isn't a single craft beer I would choose over a can of Bavaria (I love the stuff). IPA is particularly horrible stuff, the smell alone is rank. Guinness or smithwicks in the pub and Bavaria in the house is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Nope but it'll do wonders for the craft beer trade.

Won't take long before people migrate from the mass produced crap and actually drink something worth drinking.

I for one welcome this change. Will create more micro breweries and create more drinking choice for me.

Craft beer is pure piss, all your raving about it won't change that fact. Is there any particular reason you think it makes you look cool acting like an arrogant snob, or is that just how you actually are?

On topic:
    My favourite of all drinks is the Pear cider Aldi makes, and it's only €1.15. Better than Bulmers and most of the stupid "craft ciders" I've had. A price rise of €1.05 (96%) sounds like a bunch of shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Why have the mainstream parties gone mental in the last few years ? Take it in the ass from bankers, make tax payer cough up, Property tax, Water charge, reducing inheritance cutoffs, NPPR, household charge and now min unit price for alcohol ?

Are they all trying to turn voters away ?

We'll end up with Sinn Fein in power .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

over a can of Bavaria (I love the stuff).

Green or Blue?
    Why have the mainstream parties gone mental in the last few years ? Take it in the ass from bankers, make tax payer cough up, Property tax, Water charge, reducing inheritance cutoffs, NPPR, household charge and now min unit price for alcohol ?

Are they all trying to turn voters away ?

We'll end up with Sinn Fein in power .....

Indeed its a dangerous game playing with a mans pint

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Geuze wrote: »
    Let's do the sums on this.

O'Hara's Leann Follain - 50cl at 6% ABV.

The V refers to volume, so can I assume 30ml of pure alcohol?

That means (30ml / 12.66ml) = 2.4 RoI units or 23.7 grams of alcohol.

So the min price should be:

9c per gram = 2.13 euro

11c per gram = 2.60 euro

Now it currently sells for 2.89, or is it over 3.00 now?

Actually 3.25 in DrinkStore

2.59 in Tesco at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    My favourite of all drinks is the Pear cider Aldi makes, and it's only €1.15. Better than Bulmers
    Its made by Bulmers. Aldi is a supermarket.

kingtiger wrote: »
    Green or Blue?

Blue cans, never saw a green can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Make Spirits & Liqueurs at Home
    In the past it has been nearly impossible to produce top quality Spirits & Liqueurs at home.

Now with Love Brewing providing a full range of Spirit Starter Kits based on the world famous “Still Spirits” flavourings, you can!

Save Money!
    You can now produce a bottle of top quality Whisky, Gin, Rum or Bourbon for around £2.34 a bottle (75cl).

How about Peach Schnapps, Coconut Rum or Cherry Brandy for £2.88 a bottle (75cl).

Even fantastic Cream Liqueurs in the style of Baileys.
    http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/still-spirits/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Blue cans, never saw a green can.

aye the Green imported ones @ 5% a bit more expensive but a lot nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

drumswan wrote: »
    Its made by Bulmers. Aldi is a supermarket.

Have a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Those are all piss...

Like comparing a corolla to a punto. Both equally crap.

In your opinion...I'd put Bavaria far higher then those two. But the point stands, people have different tastes and opinions.

I could happily go out and spend what I like on a night out. Money doesn't influence the drink I consume on a night out or domestically. It just so happens one of my preferable drinks is available relatively cheaply.

But thanks to the irish way of solving problems (raise the price) I'm now being directly impacted. I'm not even a big drinker, last drink I had was in November. I've no issue with drinking, I don't need government assistance in my drinking habbits. But because of morons and idiots, I'll have to fork out more now for the rare occasions where I do want a drink.

Also would laugh my HOLE off if pub prices increased and it was sighted as the min pricing being the reason. Would not be suprised if they tried a cheap money grab, like when the pound went to euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Very good point.

Will supermarkets be expected to run the maths before putting out such deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

md23040 wrote: »
    But in the UK the selling cans of beer for 25 pence is pure wrong and something needs to be done about this - why people accept free market principles of a product that greatly overburdens Social services, NHS, police services (to name a few) remains beyond me through cynical continuous below cost promotions.
    Funny, those 4 for £1 cans of Asda lager are one of the first things I go looking for when I'm in Nordyland.

But I can't seem to recall getting tanked up and starting a brawl fuelled by cheap beer. Maybe that's because like most people, I drink with some degree of common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cross border shopping is about to make a big, big comeback so.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

Will there be a maximum price on soft drinks in pubs? Expect to pay at least €2.50 for a small bottle of orange juice (200ml).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

keano89 wrote: »
    Will there be a maximum price on soft drinks in pubs? Expect to pay at least €2.50 for a small bottle of orange juice (200ml).

Most pubs I know charge €2.50 for a can of coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Have a source for that?

In Category 38:Ciders – Silver was awarded to Bulmers for their Taurus Irish Cider for ALDI

That pear stuff is delicious.

Cross border shopping is about to make a big, big comeback so.

To repeat, the proposal is only being implemented when NI do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Introduce minimum pricing and get criminals undercutting official outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

NI will still be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

We already have the most expensive alcohol in most categories in the EU. And these muppets think that making it even more expensive is the answer.

Not a publican or involved in any way in the alcohol industry. Only as a pretty regular customer for some of its products.

AND I'M PISSED OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

keano89 wrote: »

That is the minimum price in most pubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We already have the most expensive alcohol in most categories in the EU. And these muppets think that making it even more expensive is the answer.

Not a publican or involved in any way in the alcohol industry. Only as a pretty regular customer for some of its products.

AND I'M PISSED OFF!!!

Surely you'd be SOBERED OFF, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

Most of my family head off to France every summer for their holidays, so that they can load up their cars with enough wine for the winter on the way back.

I like to holiday in Ireland, as I like to support the Irish economy. I buy all my wine in Aldi as the price of wine in Ireland is already ridiculous.

If this law comes into effect, looks like I'll be joining the rest of my family in France every year.

Typical Fine Gael, they don't give a ****e about the hard pressed working class in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Most pubs I know charge €2.50 for a can of coke.

What county?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Yiikes

We get to vote on the minimum age of the president but not this. De-f*cking-mocracy. We should have yearly referendum on these type of issues the way the Swiss have on theirs and stop letting politicians who apparently represent us from telling us what we want

Anyone know the appetite for this legislation up north and the price they will set it at as their wages are lower than ours on average. Currently Scotland is in the courts in Europe over this as they are a region not a country and it may be against EU law for regions in a country to have their own taxation. So if they lose NI will be unable to legislate either.

Are there any parties here against the current legislation, they all seem to be a bit quiet

Advertisement