Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Ah it is bollox though - its just a half measure. Its a meaningless number for most people and for those who do know what they should be eating its lacking the macro breakdown which is key. I don't think its harmful or anything, its just fairly pointless.

I disagree. Seeing calories on menus has had an impact on how I eat. I was going to order a dessert once and noticed it had 1400 calories in it, so I went for the 300 calorie dessert instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You seem incapable of responding to any of my posts and instead rely on firing out low-level insults. I'd suggest you pop me on ignore if I annoy and frustrate you so much. Or practice some mindfulness to relax.

Which face is this that's speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

liam24 wrote: »
    I disagree. Seeing calories on menus has had an impact on how I eat. I was going to order a dessert once and noticed it had 1400 calories in it, so I went for the 300 calorie dessert instead.

And if those calories were from protein I would take the 1400 desert over a 300 calories carb based desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You'll have to point out where I said that.

Also, we have people saying that the Government shouldn't legislative for the minimum price of cheap alcohol. Anything else they shouldn't legislate for? The minimum wage or minimum social welfare payments? It's always about people's rights and never their responsibilities when dealing with the online outrage crew.

Should we have a minimum price for toothpaste or toilet cleaner legislated for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How is a small restaurant supposed to calculate this ? Especially if they have specials that change daily.
    If they dont know how much, of what ingredients go into a recipe, and how many portions that produces, i would think a restaurant has bigger issues than the supposed additional costs of simple calorie count!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

mikom wrote: »
    Which face is this that's speaking?

I genuinely haven't got a clue what you are talking about, Mikom. As I said, feel free to put me on ignore. I won't take it personally. I'm able to discuss things without getting worked up into a frenzy of impotent rage.

As for the minimum price of toothpaste - excessive consumption of toothpaste doesn't lead to road deaths, suicide, sexual assault and domestic violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

You also can't spout political dissent on the Internet. Or enjoy basic freedoms.

The Germans are far more likely to have a few beers or a glass or two of wine per day than going on the dry all week and then getting utterly inebriated at the weekend. You'll also see many other cultural differences. Germans never boast about how much beer they drank the night before. Getting blind drunk is unacceptable in most bars and restaurants. Fights outside kebab shops doesn't happen as much as in Ireland. There is much less of an air of menace and aggression about. There are far less chronic alcoholics prowling the streets. The Germans don't have this utterly tragic and dangerous relationship with booze. The Irish do. The stereotypes didn't come from nowhere.

Alcohol is dirt cheap in Germany, how do you figure putting up the prices in Ireland will improve our relationship with Alcohol?

Education is the answer, not restrictions/price increases. It's a well known fact that the more you restrict something, the more desirable it becomes.

And if those calories were from protein I would take the 1400 desert over a 300 calories carb based desert.

Some people lose weight by counting calories. Also, I'm talking about desserts here, and it wasn't a dessert made of 50 egg whites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I genuinely haven't got a clue what you are talking about, Mikom. As I said, feel free to put me on ignore. I won't take it personally. I'm able to discuss things without getting worked up into a frenzy of impotent rage.

Really because your recent posts in this thread come across as a mixture of contained rage and pseudo-elitism. You are being deliberately provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

liam24 wrote: »
    Some people lose weight by counting calories. Also, I'm talking about desserts here, and it wasn't a dessert made of 50 egg whites.

Yes I know, but its just an example. Showing just the calorie count is just doing it half-arsed.

They will also show the calorie count on booze, which is also bollox as booze calories don't have the same effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

When is the minimum price for trolls coming in?

Germany: check.
    Banking: check.
    Advising on Ireland from afar: check.
    BMW driver: check.

Troll online persona ready for launch captain.

Let's see how many on boards will bite.

Really because your recent posts in this thread come across as a mixture of contained rage and pseudo-elitism. You are being deliberately provocative.

I'm not. I'm putting across an opinion that minimum pricing on alcohol is a good thing in starting the process of changing the dynamic with alcohol that many Irish people have. In addition to education, improved access to mental health services and a reappraisal of societies views on booze consumption.

It's a widely held view. You know, with doctors and psychiatrists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As for the minimum price of toothpaste - excessive consumption of toothpaste doesn't lead to road deaths, suicide, sexual assault and domestic violence.

:rolleyes:

Nanny state waffle. So ban alcohol altogether if it's so dangerous? Works for heroin doesn't it? It's not like there's plenty of junkies walking around.

Also, I'd imagine excessive toothpaste would cause ill effects. Best ban it.

Yes I know, but its just an example. Showing just the calorie count is just doing it half-arsed.

Giving the calorie count is giving a lot of information for a few digits. I think it would be rather silly to give an essay to accompany every dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

By your logic you would be happy for the government to put up the price of food to stop people overeating... yes?

By your logic you would be happy for the government to put up the price of food to stop people overeating... yes?

That idea is already well established, 'fat tax'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    Alcohol is dirt cheap in Germany, how do you figure putting up the prices in Ireland will improve our relationship with Alcohol?
    Ah but the Germans are some kind of Übermensch and are immune to alcohols negative effects, while we Irish peasants spend our days pissing ourselves and stumbling around akin to a monkey figure from Punch magazine. Thus spake our friend Aongus

Yes. On food that is bad for you. Like we did for cigarettes.

What food is bad for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm not. I'm putting across an opinion that minimum pricing on alcohol is a good thing in starting the process of changing the dynamic with alcohol that many Irish people have. In addition to education, improved access to mental health services and a reappraisal of societies views on booze consumption.

I love how you conveniently sidestepped acknowledging how wrong you were about the vintners not being involved in this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94160377&postcount=1667

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

You'll have to point out where I said that.

Also, we have people saying that the Government shouldn't legislative for the minimum price of cheap alcohol. Anything else they shouldn't legislate for? The minimum wage or minimum social welfare payments? It's always about people's rights and never their responsibilities when dealing with the online outrage crew.

lol Are you serious? You've spent the last 2 pages collectively labeling all Irish people in the bracket of the out of control demented drunkard and the only way to combat this fantasy is to bring forward legislation to increase the price of alcohol. You may as well try to bring forward legislation to create a minimum price for motorcars in order to combat the social ills of bad driving perpetrated by a minority. That's the kind of "logic" your dealing with here with this FG nanny state, grandstanding nonsense

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If I want to go out and get hammered that's my decision to make not for the government to interfere in it.

True but unfortunately not everyone who gets hammered has the restraint not to start fights or end up in hospital so if it impacts others then it does become an issue for the government.

The same argument was probably made about wearing seat belts 20 years ago.

drumswan wrote: »
    Ah but the Germans are some kind of Übermensch and are immune to alcohols negative effects, while we Irish peasants spend our days pissing ourselves and stumbling around akin to a monkey figure from Punch magazine. Thus spake our friend Aongus

Again, I never said that. You've taken what I said about some of the differences I see between the two countries, exaggerated it, and fired it back at me in an attempt to make a point. There are heavy drinkers in Germany. And very many Irish people who drink in moderation. The difference in how society views alcohol, alcoholism and alcohol consumption is different though. I make no apologies for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

Just pulled the trigger on a home brew kit, gonna be my first time home brewing since my late teens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You seem to deride people for not engaging in 'actual' discussion with you. Yet you have yet to address the nonsense you posted earlier about the dichotomy of alcohol in Germany and Ireland where for germans its a 'social lubricant' . Yet you were given stats demonstrating that Alcohol consumption per head in germany is far higher than in ireland.

Riddle that ?

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Barry Edmonds

I'm looking into brewing my own beer but I've no doubt the Vinter's Federation will lead a crusade to outlaw it once it becomes too popular. 'It doesn't meet the correct hygiene standards' that's how they'll spin it.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I love how you conveniently sidestepped acknowledging how wrong you were about the vintners not being involved in this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94160377&postcount=1667

It was in an election manifesto. I think Sinn Fein promised they'd burn the bondholders and ditch the euro. You'll have to show me how this will help vintners. A can of Guinness or bottle of Miller will still be far cheaper to buy in an off licence. All this does is raise the prices of cheap and nasty alcohol, designed to be consumed in large quantities while in the home. You're still free to go out and get completely inebriated if you want. Why you want and need to get that drunk is a more important issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ok so potatoes. Those poor fat people are always cutting them up and frying them in oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mikom wrote: »
    Cigars.

Dammit......You have me there.

Cohiba (cue homer drool)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Again, I never said that. You've taken what I said about some of the differences I see between the two countries, exaggerated it, and fired it back at me in an attempt to make a point. There are heavy drinkers in Germany. And very many Irish people who drink in moderation. The difference in how society views alcohol, alcoholism and alcohol consumption is different though. I make no apologies for pointing that out.

The statistics do not back up your opinion, It appears you may be overly socially lubricated into thinking you exist in some oasis of sensibility.

Advertisement