Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's very simple really, don't expect to be able to lie to me, and fúck me over for 3-4 years and then expect my cooperation on other matters, that is my right and I will connect these kind of concerns as I see fit.
    It's your right, to be sure.

Just as long as you are aware that you will only be hurting gay people, most of whom were not involved. Not the government.

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I await the VFI calling for reduced pub opening hours and the likes to promote healthy living.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So you are going to punish innocent strangers to achieve absolutely nothing in relation to the source of your irritation.

If it gets voted down it'll put Leo in his place. That's good enough for me.

Like I said when people no longer feel they live in a democracy they will do irrational things. Some people riot, others punish the govt at the ballot box. If Leo wants to treat us like children then I say lets act like them, we're not being treated like adults here, he is legislating for the 1% of people who cause trouble when drunk

At least you can say he is consistent-

Gay marriage- legislating in favour of a minority
    Minimum Pricing- legislating for a minority of publicans and breweries

So he is liberal on gay marriage but when it comes to the rest of us being able to enjoy a beer we can afford he is as bad as the Tory party.

Leo might enjoy spending his Friday nights in a gay sauna somewhere but the majority of us enjoy spending it at home, minding our own business having a few beers and causing no harm to no-one. He won't even let us have one of the few pleasures available in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I dont think ive seen a political party actively take as many steps as possible to ensure they wont be in power come the next general election
    This is so true, they have shot themselves in the foot so many times, there isn't a hope in hell that they'll get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Daith

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Like I said when people no longer feel they live in a democracy they will do irrational things. Some people riot, others punish the govt at the ballot box.

Again, you're not punishing the Government but at least you know you're being irrational.

Your answer to being ****ed over is to **** over an unrelated group. So you're basically the same as the Government you despise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

matrim wrote: »
    I disagree with this move too but The vast majority of people buying a few craft beers or a bottle of wine won't see any change because of this. The vast majority of craft beers and wine are above the proposed limits
    I find it hard to believe that this won't raise the cost of all drinks.
    For example if dutch is going to cost 2.20, o'haras(and any other more expensive brands) will probably raise their price to maintain that idea that they are a better brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Looks like the gay off licence owners are double fucked......

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mr. J

Ban everything. It's the only way. I propose we ban everything in Ireland except water and wheetabix. It's the only way. We can all drink water and eat wheetabix. All day, everyday. Then we will be safe. And we will have more money in our pockets to spend on water and wheetabix. It's the only way we can be protected from ourselves. We would take in billions per year in tourism what with people coming here to taste our wheetabix and drink our water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

awec wrote: »
    I await the VFI calling for reduced pub opening hours and the likes to promote healthy living.

Im sure they will also be calling for similar laws to Australia where it is illegal to sell alcohol to a drunken person

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mr. J

Vote for me! I will ban everything except water and wheetabix! Then we will all be happy and have lots of money! Which is the most important thing in the world!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Mr. J wrote: »
    Ban everything. It's the only way. I propose we ban everything in Ireland except water and wheetabix. It's the only way. We can all drink water and eat wheetabix. All day, everyday. Then we will be safe. And we will have more money in our pockets to spend on water and wheetabix. It's the only way we can be protected from ourselves. We would take in billions per year in tourism what with people coming here to taste our wheetabix and drink our water.

We would also be living longer and that wouldn't suit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Like I said when people no longer feel they live in a democracy they will do irrational things. Some people riot, others punish the govt at the ballot box. If Leo wants to treat us like children then I say lets act like them, we're not being treated like adults here, he is legislating for the 1% of people who cause trouble when drunk
    Voting no in a referendum to punish one particular politician that did something you don't like is like cutting off your own fingers to show someone how serious you are.

The person you're actually angry at won't ever know you've done it, you'll have let your country and community down by wasting your vote and you'll put other people through misery for absolutely no benefit.

Is this really the level of responsibility people have for their country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

SeanW wrote: »
    It's your right, to be sure.

Just as long as you are aware that you will only be hurting gay people, most of whom were not involved. Not the government.

Not at all, if more people refused to cooperate with this government on all matters, not just those economic matters that directly concern them, then this government, in fact all governments, would have a lot more respect for the electorate.

Taking people's electoral support for granted, while píssing down their backs and then telling them that it is raining, is in my view, the prime reason why this government can give a whole set of assurances before an election and then back track on every single one of them once they have been elected.

There is a wholesale and casual disrespect of the electrorate in this country and people need to start using their bargaining power as voters. When I get lied to at election time, (even though I didn't vote for these mugs), then don't expect my cooperation on any matter, expect me to do the exact opposite of what you are suggesting that I do when it comes to votes that you need to get passed. If you want it to be otherwise, then do after the election, what you said you will do before an election, because democracy is a 2 way street, it's very simple really.

Just look at how the new Greek government have acted in the last 2 weeks. They are now refusing to back the renewal of EU economic sanctions against Russia, (they can veto this), until they get a debt deal from the EU. What have economic sanctions against Russia got to do with a debt deal? Sweet fúck all on the face of it, but these guys have taken the gloves off now and are playing hard ball, that's politics. Meanwhile back on Craggy Island we'd all be telling ourselves that we can't do this and we can't do that because "those are the rules", so we live to get fúcked over again in the same of "fair play"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Getting back on point.

Does anyone think raising the price of drink will help Irelands drinking problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've said it before and I'll say it again that this will only make alcohol issues worse. It's an Irish thing, if you tell someone they can't have something it makes them want it more. The off license queues the night before good Friday are proof of this. In European countries where the drinking age is 16, you don't see teenagers falling around the place drunk like you do on the streets of Ireland. They appreciate the fact that they have some responsibility. The government can pat themselves on the back for backing drinkaware.ie all they like, but this is not real education, and it does not make people appreciate the responsibility they have.

Before you know it, everyone will be across the border or on the ferry to France for wine and the next big discussion point at any party is going to be how much drink you got and how cheap it was, and everyone will get locked and stick their middle finger at the government for treating them like children.

There is a wholesale and casual disrespect of the electrorate in this country and people need to start using their bargaining power as voters.

You do that at a General Election when it actually affects the Government.

You vote in people who will campaign to reverse the ban.

Getting back on point.

Does anyone think raising the price of drink will help Irelands drinking problem ?

Nope people will continue to drink it will just cost us all more OR we will all start home brewing and then the VFI will get the government to make that illegal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Connavar wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that this won't raise the cost of all drinks.
    For example if dutch is going to cost 2.20, o'haras(and any other more expensive brands) will probably raise their price to maintain that idea that they are a better brand

Again, its a minimum price per unit - so it all depends on the strength of the beer/wine - some of the 'better' beers (Tyskie etc) are about 2.8 units, forcing them to charge roughly €3 a can!

One of the disastrous implications of this is that we'll end up with off-licences stocked full of mid-strength beers and a lot of the premium brands will disappear from the shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So you are going to punish innocent strangers to achieve absolutely nothing in relation to the source of your irritation.
    Is this not the essence of Leo's new policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mikom wrote: »
    "Dad, why can I not marry my same sex partner?"

"Well you see, son/daughter, there's this thing called spite"

'Because you're a minority son and this is a democracy'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im sure they will also be calling for similar laws to Australia where it is illegal to sell alcohol to a drunken person

As it is here...... Anyway , I think this is a typical kite flying exercise...Reaction is positive? They will push it through. If there is a MASSIVE backlash? . About turn. If the reaction is ..meh??? Then we get what we deserve. I am writing to all the TDs and prospective candidates in my constituency this evening . I suggest if you feel strongly, then so should you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I'm a bit juxtaposed by the whole minimum price of drink situation.

I don't really care about pubs saying the'll have to close their doors, they charge well over the odds in a lot of places for the price of a pint and the competetive pubs should/will survive. So in that respect I am opposed to minimum pricing of alcohol.

In saying that I would like to see a minimum price put on a alcohol as this country (from my experience of living in and growing up in Dublin,
    nearly 30 now) we have a massive drink problem and the only way to kurb that is to make it too expensive to drink such large quantities of booze in one night or over a weekend etc. It puts a massive strain on Garda and HSE resources dealing with the mess people get themselves into, and the trouble caused.

I know a lot of this can be argued away with the likes of people not knowing when to stop and others mixing drink with drugs; but you can't argue that drink isn't still a predominant factor and that Ireland has always been seen as a boozey country.

One thing that will be interesting to see is what pubs should be charging roughly for a pint or shot etc when specific pricing does come in. I'd bet the farm pubs won't drop the price of pints, hell I doubt they'll leave them at the price they are now. I think the most likely option will be more people will stay at home because it'll be too expensive to pre-drink aswel as go out and people are already unhappy with the cost of going for a few pints.

I'm not much of a drinker so I'm annoyed when I get a 330ml bottle or can of coke and I'm charged between €2 and €4 when I can get a can of coke in my local newsagents for €1.

Are the PVI going to start demanding minimum prices on soft drinks or cordials too?

'Because you're a minority son and this is a democracy'

And we **** over people to show that we hate getting ****ed over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Getting back on point.

Nope but it'll do wonders for the craft beer trade.

Before:
    €1 piss vs €2.50 loveliness.

Now:
    €2.20 piss vs €2.50 loveliness.

Won't take long before people migrate from the mass produced crap and actually drink something worth drinking.

I for one welcome this change. Will create more micro breweries and create more drinking choice for me.

Kalyke wrote: »
    As it is here...... Anyway , I think this is a typical kite flying exercise...Reaction is positive? They will push it through. If there is a MASSIVE backlash? . About turn. If the reaction is ..meh??? Then we get what we deserve. I am writing to all the TDs and prospective candidates in my constituency this evening . I suggest if you feel strongly, then so should you!

Already have been in touch before when Mitchell O Connor made her previous pronouncements but I will be again tonight as well

Also the Australian Law is followed ALOT more strictly with real repercussions happening for bars that actively disobey it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Daith wrote: »
    And we **** over people to show that we hate getting ****ed over!

The only people getting ****ed over are those drinking to get wasted on ****ty beer, which is exactly the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Leo might enjoy spending his Friday nights in a gay sauna

And with this comment he shows his real reason for voting no. Not a protest but because the gays are all sex crazed maniacs

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

CruelCoin wrote: »

Before:

Now:

Won't take long before people migrate from the mass produced crap and actually drink something worth drinking.

I for one welcome this change. Will create more micro breweries and create more drinking choice for me.
    That is assuming the €2.50 loveliness drinks companies don't say, hey people used to pay €1.50 extra for our loveliness so we will raise our prices too even though we don't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Before:

Now:

The danger is that the micro brewers will jack uo their prices to maintain their "premium" status as they dont want their product to be seen to be the same price as a can of piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

huh? it will be based on Alcohol units so that lovely bottle of strong Craft beer will double in price overnight

Advertisement