Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Today:

44.45, 3.8 mile run up mount leinster. Tough going to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

LaHaine wrote: »
    Today:

44.45, 3.8 mile run up mount leinster. Tough going to say the least

Great session!

I've run both ML and CP recently. CP was dry last weekend. The summit is scree. ML was heavy going along the ridge from Black Rock mountain. I'd say the runs are quite different. I found CP a bit tougher but I'm more used to ML.

Your training is going great.

Cheers man. Im making progress anyway. How that will translate to the race day is another thing. But at least I can say im giving it a proper go.

Legs are in bits today! Love it.

Unplanned day off but im happy to take it because i think yesterday will do me a lot of good. Bit of confidence that im able to run up hill without dying

• Advertisement

Tonight:

Ten mile run, 1hr32. Not the fastest, but still have sore legs from saturday and hadnt eaten enough today so ill take it!

Tonight:

My poor legs are knackered. 54km cycle. Averaged about 27km per hour.

Tonight:

26km cycle. About 28kph average.

Followed by 3.46 mile run in 28.21. Slow as fook!

Day off tommorrow. Well needed

Today:

10 mile run 1hr.30. Half hour break, fifty km cycle. 2hrs.

Delighted with that. Hot day made it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Good stuff, you're pushing on...I hate running in hot weather like this but love cycling in it...

• Advertisement

Tonight:

A very sweaty 3.2 miles in 23.09.

Thought a PB was on the cards but faded in last few minutes. Damn humid out there

KoemansCC wrote: »
    Good stuff, you're pushing on...I hate running in hot weather like this but love cycling in it...

Im the exact same. Running isn't much fun in that heat. Id take a cold winters night over a warm summers evening any time for a run.

Cycling in the summer isnt like training for me. Its just an enjoyable thing to do. Very rare that I don't look forward to going out on the bike. Whereas I have to do a lot of coaxing to get myself out running sometimes!

Are you feeling confident for GF now? Times ticking down. Dont know whether Im more excited or nervous!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Right i was told by people not to sign up for this as i wouldnt have enough running in my legs but signed up and got proper training started sat week ago.

Im 30 and in alright shape i reckon..

It consisted of this

Saturday - weights session in gym
    Sunday 9k run + 20K cycle
    Monday 8 k run with a lot of it uphill
    Tuesday 18k run in an hr and 35 mins
    Wednesday - rest day
    Thursday 20k run in 1 hr 50 mins

Thats were it stopped as i had a wedding at the weekend

Plan is to do same 20k run in the morning before work.

So tell me is there more i should be doing, i feel confident on the cycle as i have done a lot of that over the last year.

Planning on climbing croagh patrick next monday or tuesaday after a weekend at the galway races..

Any tips greatly appreciated

Sounds like you'll be fine man. Maybe some hill running

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

Today:

53 km cycle

hey lahaine just wondering what time you are doing these bike sessions in? interested to see how we compare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Lads ul see from my previous post that i hadnt got any training in since last thursday.

Went out tonight to do my 20k run but had to pull the pin at 11 as i was getting serious cramps.

Left the house at 6. 15 and had pasta at about 4. Maybe its the food on intake or something or simply because i had a heavy drinking day at a wedding on saturday.

I use a camel water bag when doing long runs so i had enough hydration.

Just wondering about the foods you eat and maybe is there something else im not doing.

Im hoping it is a once off..

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Tonight:

51.30 km cycle. Averaged about 30kph.

hey lahaine just wondering what time you are doing these bike sessions in? interested to see how we compare!!

I never really time my cycles! Im not sure why-mainly cause im stupid. I enjoy cycling a lot so i dont really want to structure it too much and kill the fun?

I mainly average about 28/30kph, maybe a bit higher depending on mood. Tonight it was about 30 on a cycle from Dublin city centre out towards Bray and Greystones. Its a gradual incline all the way out and there's some hills along the way but flat enough overall.

My cycling is definitely much stronger than my running anyway. I'd say you'd have me on both though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

How do you guys find it going from the bike to the run, its a big problem for me. I train with a group of about 15 every tuesday and we've been combining the two for a while now but its not getting much easier. Today we did 25k on the bikes at about 30kph followed by a very hilly 10k run. As usual my legs felt very heavy on the run and I was last home in 51 minutes or so. About 5 of the guys ahead of me I beat in a recent 10k so I'm puzzled as to why I'm so slow. I read somewhere that it helps to go in a low gear at the end of the ride and really spin the legs out. Any truth in this? Any other techniques?
    FWIW I have no problem going from run to bike but I think thats standard. Thanks for keeping up the logs, I find all three helpful (La Haine, centre back, Koemann CC).

• Advertisement

Are you feeling confident for GF now? Times ticking down. Dont know whether Im more excited or nervous!

I'd say a sub 5-hr might be a bit of a stretch for me, but thats still my target and I'll approach GF with that target...probably the fittest I've ever been at the moment.

For the next few weeks I'll just put in the k's at a steady pace, no killing myself as I probably won't get any fitter at this stage...I think being fresh and well rested on the day will be more important. Now where did I put that Camelback?

snailsong wrote: »
    How do you guys find it going from the bike to the run, its a big problem for me. I train with a group of about 15 every tuesday and we've been combining the two for a while now but its not getting much easier. Today we did 25k on the bikes at about 30kph followed by a very hilly 10k run. As usual my legs felt very heavy on the run and I was last home in 51 minutes or so. About 5 of the guys ahead of me I beat in a recent 10k so I'm puzzled as to why I'm so slow. I read somewhere that it helps to go in a low gear at the end of the ride and really spin the legs out. Any truth in this? Any other techniques?
    FWIW I have no problem going from run to bike but I think thats standard. Thanks for keeping up the logs, I find all three helpful (La Haine, centre back, Koemann CC).

From the bit I've done I think you need to take it easy for the first k or two after getting off the bike as the legs will be like jelly, just get into a rythmn and don't try and run like you would for a 10k...use this time to get some liquid and food in, you should be able to make up time towards the end of a run if it's in your legs!

snailsong wrote: »

think you maybe think about doing the run first then the cycle as thats how the format is in gaelforce! hitting that first hill on the bike after running nearly 18ks and kayaking will be the tester!:)

I never really time my cycles! Im not sure why-mainly cause im stupid. I enjoy cycling a lot so i dont really want to structure it too much and kill the fun?

I mainly average about 28/30kph, maybe a bit higher depending on mood. Tonight it was about 30 on a cycle from Dublin city centre out towards Bray and Greystones. Its a gradual incline all the way out and there's some hills along the way but flat enough overall.

My cycling is definitely much stronger than my running anyway. I'd say you'd have me on both though!!

cheers bud, just trying to get a general idea of other peoples time on the bike, as you know i'm trying to spend as little time on the bike as possible but at the same time improve..... i know.... i'm an idiot!!!!:confused:

Today:

6 mile ish run. Slow hot sticky. ****e. Time-forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

think you maybe think about doing the run first then the cycle as thats how the format is in gaelforce! hitting that first hill on the bike after running nearly 18ks and kayaking will be the tester!:)

I know all about it, that's where the cramps hit me last year. Will be on the diurrlyte a week in advance this year.

Today:

10 mile run in 1hr.22.

Pretty sure thats a pb!

Today:

3 mile run up mount leinster to the tv mast. Tough going.

Great to see the look on peoples faces when you run up past them!

Legs are extremely tight now.

Unplanned day off. My legs are in agony after the hill running so decided to give myself a rest.

Might go for a cycle tomorrow night to loosen them up.

• Advertisement

Tonight:

51km cycle.

Legs are still fupped. Finally loosened up a bit in the last twenty k. Had long shower with ice cold water on legs, hopefully will help.

Advertisement