Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

Hi
    What's your plan on food for the race I'm going with a protein shake at the bikes and energy gels and bars along the way and do you think we need to carry much water on the run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

e30fitz wrote: »
    Hi
    What's your plan on food for the race I'm going with a protein shake at the bikes and energy gels and bars along the way and do you think we need to carry much water on the run ?

I'll be wearing a camelbak, so I'll have no excuse if I get dehydrated.

I have energy gels to eat every thirty-forty minutes and a couple of bars. Will probably eat the bars at the beginning and end of the cycle, want to be on a sugar high when I hit the reek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'll be wearing a camelbak, so I'll have no excuse if I get dehydrated.

I have energy gels to eat every thirty-forty minutes and a couple of bars. Will probably eat the bars at the beginning and end of the cycle, want to be on a sugar high when I hit the reek.

Ill be doing the same. I have gels, some nutigrain bars and some powerbar jelly yokes.

God im getting nervous, longest week ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

LaHaine wrote: »
    Ill be doing the same. I have gels, some nutigrain bars and some powerbar jelly yokes.

God im getting nervous, longest week ever!!

Me too! I think we're in the same wave (7:30). If so. say hello, I'm 1648. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Best of luck Saturday LaHaine, hopefully you won't overtake me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

now ''poster boy'' time is apon us for you to deliver sat morning, reckon you'll be in the 4 hour club myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Good luck, La haine. Thanks for the log, enjoy your race.

After the longest week of waiting ever, we finally got on the road for Wesport on Friday morning. Fair old spin down there but got there with thanks to Mr sat nav. Straight down to registration which i thought was quite well organised. I was in and out in a pretty short amount of time really. Got my tshirt and timing dibber? Dipper? Still dunno what its called.

Then down to drop off the bike. This took a bit of time but im not sure if you can blame the event organisers for this. Its always going to be tough logistically getting all those people in and out of a field in the middle of nowhere. And it didnt help that despite all the warnings I saw people pumping up tyres etc in the field. How hard is it to have your bike ready to go and just drop off?

Anyway I was happy with the positioning of my bike. It was up in a corner in one of the first rows so I knew it would be easy to find the next day. With this done, we drove back along a good bit of the cycle route. very suprised that noone had made any mention of that big hill after a few k. Looked like a nasty enough descent on the other side due to the surface but cycling is my strong point really so i wasnt too worried.

Back to Westport to find the BnB and drop off bags etc. Then into Westport for dinner. Great to see all the other competitors around. But I have to say I was dissapointed i didnt have a wrist band to show off i was racing. I had one of the chips that went around your neck. Hey, its the little things, ive done all this training, i wanted to show off a little!! Had a lovely dinner. Didnt bother with carb loading or even attempting it. Ive never done it before so i thought whats the point doing something new the night before the race. That said, it seemed like everyone in the restaurant was having pasta! Interesting to hear people talking about it all. Plenty of eaves dropping done!!

So then it was back to the BnB early enough. Back in my room about ten. What to do...what to do. Laid out my gear for the race and made the decision that I would bring the bag, i was still undecided until then but i said I might as well, even for the peace of mind that i could bring those few extras that i wouldnt be able to just using jersey pockets. Finally drifted off to sleep about 12 id say. Mind racing!! I ran Gaelforce about twenty times in my sleep that night. But, that said i slept all the way through so I was happy enough.

6.30 start for me. Got up and had some breakfast - brown bread and a yoghurt with a nutrigrain bar. In hindsight this wasnt enough really but you live and learn. The lady in my BnB had said she would leave stuff out and i thought there'd be more. Really I should have brought my usual breakfast for long runs of Weetabix. Still, no biggie.

Got down to the bus where it seemed like everyone was in groups and had a buddy with them. I just hopped onto the bus and took a seat. Ended up beside a nice guy who went out of his way to talk to me. I found this all the way through the race. People were so friendly and willing to have a laugh and joke wherever possible. The bus journey isnt really that long but all the waiting around was wrecking my head!! Just wanted to get going...

Off the bus and half an hour plus to wait around. More waiting!! Got talking to a few more people there and that made the time pass a little faster. We had our pre race speech, of which i could hear very little, and then it was time to walk down to that start.

The heart started thumping at this point, but in a great way. All the training was over, it was finally here and I felt ready to go.

And they're off!!!

Ok here's the thing about my race. It went nothing like I expected. I had read as much as humanly possible on Boards etc. i could quote previous years threads to you as this stage but I was still surprised by lots of things on the route.

The first run - 14km, cant be that bad. But yeah, where were all you guys to tell me that its hill after hill!! And with muck up to your ankles and worse!! Ok, I admit it I loved it!! The first few puddles, mucky areas everyone was tip toeing around but after a few minutes you just give up. Splashing and jumping into puddles, its like being a kid all over again. And the views - its a pity theres not more photos of the route on the website because I really dont think they do it justice. Such a scenic area.

I didnt really know how to pace the run but i definitely didnt think it would be as tough as it was. They describe the second run as a bog run but the first run is just as bad in places. It didnt help that I was in a later wave i suppose. Thats definitely something I would change next time - a much earlier wave.

Anyway, back to it. Reached the kayak after about 1.25. Delighted to see the water point there. Filled up and had an energy gel and a nutrigrain bar. Met one of the guys I was talking to at the start again and ended up sharing a kayak with him. Great craic, we laughed all the way across. both of us hadnt really done it before but we got on fine. The kayaks are tough on your core though! And the top of legs/groin area. I wasnt far off cramping most of the time and did a lot of moving about to try loosen myself but its my fault for a lack or core fitness really.

Out of the kayak after about ten minutes and on to the next run. Not really much to say about this one. The bog wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Again, stunning scenery at times.

Got to the bike, feeling pretty good but a bit hungry. Another gel and nutrigrain bar. (god i hate those bars now). Still with the guy i met at this point. Bit of banter was making it all a bit easier and we stayed together for a good bit on the bikes. This was a part where i felt great. Legs were strong and passed lots of people. No doubt in my mind that a racing bike is that way to go. But, and its a big but, you would have to have a good bit of experience on a racing bike. Ive done a good bit of cycling and would consider my bike handling skills to be quite good but i found there were times that all i could do was pick my line and hang on!!

The long climb that i had seen the day before was tough enough but doable. Felt great cycling past all the people who had to walk. I know thats a bit mean but every man for themself!! I had some power bar jelly things after the climb and they perked me up a lot. Over all the bike section was good. Some of the surfaces were interesting to say the least but it makes it all fun. You'd never be bored anyway! Saw a nasty crash along the way. Hopefully anyone who had a fall was ok and not hurt too badly.

I pulled away from the guy i was with at this stage but he came back and was in just after me at the bike drop so we went up Croagh Patrick together. Again, this really helped. We didnt go up the zig zag path, instead choosing the straighter option and this was a good decision for me. I felt strong all the way up which was a brilliant suprise. The training paid off! Saw some people struggling big time. Great bit of comradary on CP. If anyone slipped at all, there was always someone picking them up. Lots of banter and joking from people who looked like they were in real pain. And then we were at the top! And i felt amazing. All those times not drinking, those hours training, those nights of slagging from friends over going home early or not going out for a match or whatever. All worth it. Felt on top of the world.

Had another bag of energy sweets and then for the descent. This was something i felt i lost a lot of time on. I just didnt have technique good enough to run down it as fast as i wanted to. Fitness wise i could do it but technique was lacking. Still, i was happy when i got down to the bottom. Still with a smile on my face, and ready for more.

The last cycle. i was expecting this surface to be bad and it was!! Very hard to cycle on in places. In the end i got off and ran a few times. Very happy to see the road when i got a glimpse of it. Once i got onto the road again i put the pedal to the floor and passed lots of people. Really flying on the roads back into Westport. Cant explain how good i felt.

Into Westport and the cheers and people increased. Going through the tunnel of people at the end was brilliant. i just couldnt stop smiling.

Dropped the bike off and on to the last run.

Rounded the bend and saw the finish line in the distance. People cheering everywhere. You just cant describe that feeling. Over the line to check my time. 5 hours and 34 minutes. Delighted!

I could easily have knocked a lot of time off my finishing time. I still felt ok at the end. And thats something i was delighted about. All my training really helped. Pacing was probably my problem on the race. I was so worried about Croagh Patrick that i didnt give 100% in some of the earlier stages.

But I have no complaints. Im delighted with my time. And I had one of the best days ever. Enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish.

Would i do it next year?

Without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Well done, man - great result! Your training really paid off. Keep up the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

well done bud, thats a great time for your'e first gaelforce!! excellent result, looking forward to your'e next adventure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Well done, excellent time for your first attempt...you'll easily come in under the 5 hours next year with the experience gained this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Great time for a first attempt at Gaelfore West. Had a similar time on my first attempt last year. With the knowledge of doing it this year you can knock tons of time off next year and will that little bit of extra training. Knocked nearly an hour off mine time this year.

Right well after a brilliant weekend its time to start looking forward again.

So my next goals are the Dublin half marathon and then the Dublin marathon.

Ive roughly been following Hal Higdons marathon plan along with my Gaelforce training. So im going to be jumping straight into week 9 of the plan now. This week im easing back into the running so if i dont get the milage in, im not worried but next week ill be back to sticking to the plan rigidly.

The plan is for a sub 4 marathon. I think a good indicator of the chances of this happening is whether or not i finish the half marathon in September in under 1.45. I think thats doable for me. But i definitely need to put the head down and get the miles in.

At the end of the day, the Gaelforce West training has given me great confidence. Putting in the hard hours pays off. So it's just a matter of keeping up the effort and making sure I dont get lazy!

Today:

6.2 miles in 55 mins. Slow one. Struggled with boredom as I was just doing laps of a couple of football pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Today:

6.2 miles in 55 mins. Slow one. Struggled with boredom as I was just doing laps of a couple of football pitches.

Fair play, I thought I had recovered so did 5K last night. Feel wrecked again today, calves and shins are very sore.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Fair play, I thought I had recovered so did 5K last night. Feel wrecked again today, calves and shins are very sore.

My calves were tight alright but loosened up after a while. To be honest the thought of it was worse than actually doing it!

Today:

40 km spin on the bike. Very stiff starting but loosened up on the way back. B*tch of a wind that I wasnt expecting. Long run tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Today:

8.5 mile run. 1hr.20.

Woke up with a sore lower back. Was hoping the run would loosen it up. No such luck. Just got worse.

Nice and sore now, even just lying on bed.

My poor back is in bits. Hopefully its just doms from Gaelforce etc. Maybe i didnt take enough time off after.

Luckily enough im not due to run again until Tuesday night according to my marathon plan. Hopefully the couple of days rest will help.

Fingers crossed.

Keep her lit lahaine. I'm in the same boat as you recovering from GFW and trying to get into full swing for my marathon debut in October. I'm in theory following Hah Higdon Novice 2 but I haven't actually looked at it since the race. I'll hopefully be aiming for 3.45 or 3.30 depending on how I feel closer to the day. I ran 6.5k quickish last tuesday felt great, 10k on friday felt weaker, vegged on sat with zero energy and then 19k yesterday feeling slow and a bit sore in the knees. Actually planned to do only 16 but estimated the route so badly that after 16 I was still 3k away from the car. Will prob do a combined cycle run tomorrow as that's what i do on tuesday. Some friends are putting the bike away until after the marathon but I don't like that idea at all.
    i might even do the short version of Achill roar on sept 10. Also planning the athlone three quarter marathon, how about you?
    Sorry for hijacking your log with a rambling thread.

• Advertisement

Good to know someone else is suffering!

The only race I'm doing before the marathon is the dublin half marathon in about three weeks. I would have loved to have tried ROAR. Next year without a doubt.

Back is still screwed but fingers crossed it can only get better. Back to the running tommorrow night.

Ill be keeping up the cycling too. Once a week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

After the longest week of waiting ever, we finally got on the road for Wesport on Friday morning. Fair old spin down there but got there with thanks to Mr sat nav. Straight down to registration which i thought was quite well organised. I was in and out in a pretty short amount of time really. Got my tshirt and timing dibber? Dipper? Still dunno what its called.

Then down to drop off the bike. This took a bit of time but im not sure if you can blame the event organisers for this. Its always going to be tough logistically getting all those people in and out of a field in the middle of nowhere. And it didnt help that despite all the warnings I saw people pumping up tyres etc in the field. How hard is it to have your bike ready to go and just drop off?

Anyway I was happy with the positioning of my bike. It was up in a corner in one of the first rows so I knew it would be easy to find the next day. With this done, we drove back along a good bit of the cycle route. very suprised that noone had made any mention of that big hill after a few k. Looked like a nasty enough descent on the other side due to the surface but cycling is my strong point really so i wasnt too worried.

Back to Westport to find the BnB and drop off bags etc. Then into Westport for dinner. Great to see all the other competitors around. But I have to say I was dissapointed i didnt have a wrist band to show off i was racing. I had one of the chips that went around your neck. Hey, its the little things, ive done all this training, i wanted to show off a little!! Had a lovely dinner. Didnt bother with carb loading or even attempting it. Ive never done it before so i thought whats the point doing something new the night before the race. That said, it seemed like everyone in the restaurant was having pasta! Interesting to hear people talking about it all. Plenty of eaves dropping done!!

So then it was back to the BnB early enough. Back in my room about ten. What to do...what to do. Laid out my gear for the race and made the decision that I would bring the bag, i was still undecided until then but i said I might as well, even for the peace of mind that i could bring those few extras that i wouldnt be able to just using jersey pockets. Finally drifted off to sleep about 12 id say. Mind racing!! I ran Gaelforce about twenty times in my sleep that night. But, that said i slept all the way through so I was happy enough.

6.30 start for me. Got up and had some breakfast - brown bread and a yoghurt with a nutrigrain bar. In hindsight this wasnt enough really but you live and learn. The lady in my BnB had said she would leave stuff out and i thought there'd be more. Really I should have brought my usual breakfast for long runs of Weetabix. Still, no biggie.

Got down to the bus where it seemed like everyone was in groups and had a buddy with them. I just hopped onto the bus and took a seat. Ended up beside a nice guy who went out of his way to talk to me. I found this all the way through the race. People were so friendly and willing to have a laugh and joke wherever possible. The bus journey isnt really that long but all the waiting around was wrecking my head!! Just wanted to get going...

Off the bus and half an hour plus to wait around. More waiting!! Got talking to a few more people there and that made the time pass a little faster. We had our pre race speech, of which i could hear very little, and then it was time to walk down to that start.

The heart started thumping at this point, but in a great way. All the training was over, it was finally here and I felt ready to go.

And they're off!!!

Ok here's the thing about my race. It went nothing like I expected. I had read as much as humanly possible on Boards etc. i could quote previous years threads to you as this stage but I was still surprised by lots of things on the route.

The first run - 14km, cant be that bad. But yeah, where were all you guys to tell me that its hill after hill!! And with muck up to your ankles and worse!! Ok, I admit it I loved it!! The first few puddles, mucky areas everyone was tip toeing around but after a few minutes you just give up. Splashing and jumping into puddles, its like being a kid all over again. And the views - its a pity theres not more photos of the route on the website because I really dont think they do it justice. Such a scenic area.

I didnt really know how to pace the run but i definitely didnt think it would be as tough as it was. They describe the second run as a bog run but the first run is just as bad in places. It didnt help that I was in a later wave i suppose. Thats definitely something I would change next time - a much earlier wave.

Anyway, back to it. Reached the kayak after about 1.25. Delighted to see the water point there. Filled up and had an energy gel and a nutrigrain bar. Met one of the guys I was talking to at the start again and ended up sharing a kayak with him. Great craic, we laughed all the way across. both of us hadnt really done it before but we got on fine. The kayaks are tough on your core though! And the top of legs/groin area. I wasnt far off cramping most of the time and did a lot of moving about to try loosen myself but its my fault for a lack or core fitness really.

Out of the kayak after about ten minutes and on to the next run. Not really much to say about this one. The bog wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Again, stunning scenery at times.

Got to the bike, feeling pretty good but a bit hungry. Another gel and nutrigrain bar. (god i hate those bars now). Still with the guy i met at this point. Bit of banter was making it all a bit easier and we stayed together for a good bit on the bikes. This was a part where i felt great. Legs were strong and passed lots of people. No doubt in my mind that a racing bike is that way to go. But, and its a big but, you would have to have a good bit of experience on a racing bike. Ive done a good bit of cycling and would consider my bike handling skills to be quite good but i found there were times that all i could do was pick my line and hang on!!

The long climb that i had seen the day before was tough enough but doable. Felt great cycling past all the people who had to walk. I know thats a bit mean but every man for themself!! I had some power bar jelly things after the climb and they perked me up a lot. Over all the bike section was good. Some of the surfaces were interesting to say the least but it makes it all fun. You'd never be bored anyway! Saw a nasty crash along the way. Hopefully anyone who had a fall was ok and not hurt too badly.

I pulled away from the guy i was with at this stage but he came back and was in just after me at the bike drop so we went up Croagh Patrick together. Again, this really helped. We didnt go up the zig zag path, instead choosing the straighter option and this was a good decision for me. I felt strong all the way up which was a brilliant suprise. The training paid off! Saw some people struggling big time. Great bit of comradary on CP. If anyone slipped at all, there was always someone picking them up. Lots of banter and joking from people who looked like they were in real pain. And then we were at the top! And i felt amazing. All those times not drinking, those hours training, those nights of slagging from friends over going home early or not going out for a match or whatever. All worth it. Felt on top of the world.

Had another bag of energy sweets and then for the descent. This was something i felt i lost a lot of time on. I just didnt have technique good enough to run down it as fast as i wanted to. Fitness wise i could do it but technique was lacking. Still, i was happy when i got down to the bottom. Still with a smile on my face, and ready for more.

The last cycle. i was expecting this surface to be bad and it was!! Very hard to cycle on in places. In the end i got off and ran a few times. Very happy to see the road when i got a glimpse of it. Once i got onto the road again i put the pedal to the floor and passed lots of people. Really flying on the roads back into Westport. Cant explain how good i felt.

Into Westport and the cheers and people increased. Going through the tunnel of people at the end was brilliant. i just couldnt stop smiling.

Dropped the bike off and on to the last run.

Rounded the bend and saw the finish line in the distance. People cheering everywhere. You just cant describe that feeling. Over the line to check my time. 5 hours and 34 minutes. Delighted!

I could easily have knocked a lot of time off my finishing time. I still felt ok at the end. And thats something i was delighted about. All my training really helped. Pacing was probably my problem on the race. I was so worried about Croagh Patrick that i didnt give 100% in some of the earlier stages.

But I have no complaints. Im delighted with my time. And I had one of the best days ever. Enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish.

Would i do it next year?

Without a doubt.

Great Stuff mate.

Pretty much followed this from the start and I think I gave you some advice in the first few pages.

Great time for a first timer. I thought I meantioned about that hill a few Km's into the cycling?(edit, just checked no I didnt, must of been to someone else) Last year I saw a nasty crash at the bottom of the desecent, some guy crashed into a ditch at full speed right at the end.

Didnt do GAelforce this year myself as I was at a stags, am itching to do it again next year.

Anyway, just wanted to say congrats. Oh and you beat my first timer attempt by a good bit (I blame the bike ;))

Tonight:

3.2 miles in 25.56.

Back was sore all day so I took it nice and slow. Lots of stretching after which is something I want to concentrate on more now.

Tonight:

6.5 miles in 58. Followed by three quarter mile walk home.

Again, my stomach was playing up. I dunno whats causing it but I do know that when it happens, thats the end of my run. Unless I feel like squatting in the nearest hedge!

My diet isnt the best so ill try to work on that. All joking aside if this continues itll be a real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Tonight:

6.5 miles in 58. Followed by three quarter mile walk home.

Again, my stomach was playing up. I dunno whats causing it but I do know that when it happens, thats the end of my run. Unless I feel like squatting in the nearest hedge!

My diet isnt the best so ill try to work on that. All joking aside if this continues itll be a real problem

I've a very sensitive tummy too. Diet is a big part of the solution, naturally, but I've started eating smaller but more frequent meals, ie not 3 big meals a day. Try changing the time of day you run too, early morning works best for me. Are you in a routine of when you eat and when you run?

I've a very sensitive tummy too. Diet is a big part of the solution, naturally, but I've started eating smaller but more frequent meals, ie not 3 big meals a day. Try changing the time of day you run too, early morning works best for me. Are you in a routine of when you eat and when you run?

No, I dont have a great routine as to when I eat or run. Def something to work on!

Tonight:

4 miles in 33.53.

What plan are you following? I'm on Hal Higdon novice 2. Was a bit daunted by the 8m pace run yesterday but managed it ok. 4m tonight in 32.12, a bit faster than I'd planned.

Im following the HH novice 1 plan! Although I might add a bit to it depending on how it goes

• Advertisement

Today:

LSR 15 miles in 2hr 25.

Thoughts?

15 miles is a long long run.

Pace was very slow but I was still struggling. Ran out to phoenix park and did a couple of loops. Had energy gels but I struggle to use them. Dont really like them. Might try jelly beans or something.

Walked three miles home from the park. Loosened out the legs a bit.

Happy with getting my longest ever run in but a bit worried about how tired I was.

Advertisement