Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Today:

10.01k run in 57.52.

Very dodgy belly for the last two k of this!! Could hear lots of sloshing around. Not the most pleasant feeling!!

Tonight:

49.72km cycle. About two hours.

Enjoyed this one a lot. Lovely night for it.

Tonight:

5k run in 25.20. Warm one out there tonight.

Ran along the quays and past the Point. Wasnt fun, wasnt enjoyable but tis done now

Big crowd around to see Elbow. Should have tried to get a ticket. Could be a good one

Today:

100.56 km cycle.

Soaked to the bone but happy

Today:

Hadnt planned on doing anything but as it was such a nice day I cycled out to Dun Laoghaire to enjoy the sun.

Out and back was 25km.

• Advertisement

Today:

10km in 55.30.

Last long run before the great ireland run. I'd be delighted with anythin under 55 for the race so this was encouraging.

Today:

5.01km run in 26.38. Got caught at a few traffic lights waiting but still a slow one.

Im going to try to come up with a more structured training plan after the Great Ireland Run. Im not making as much progress as Id like to

Wasnt happy with that run today and I had the day off so I went for a cycle this evening. Lovely weather.

49.22km. I keep forgetting my garmin when Im cycling so I dont know the exact time because my cycle computer thingybob is crap. Felt strong though and kept at a decent pace so im happy enough

Today:

40km cycle. Legs are pretty tight. Plan to give them a rest tomorrow and the the great ireland run on sunday.

Today:

10km in 54.57. Delighted with that.

I felt strong for the whole thing and I definitely feel like I could have done better. The heat was a killer but I got into a nice rhythm early and was never under too much pressure.

The aim was to do this in under 55 minutes so I scraped it but I think, all things considered-heat wise, this is a very good run for me. So im a happy camper.!!

Feels like I actually am making some progress after today. I suppose the one down side is that I was able to sprint the last 500 metres so obviously I had more in the tank that I could have used around the ten k but you live and learn as they say.

The start of the race was very dragged out which was a bit annoying but the weather meant that it wasnt too much of an issue. I was amazed that, even with the different time groups and being let off at different times, I still passed people walking after a few hundred metres. Like, are people really this stupid? Its so ignorant to others who pick the correct time for themselves and are aiming for good times.

The tshirt is pretty crap for the price, maybe if they put a bit more money into that and got rid of the medal it would be better? I know Id prefer a technical tshirt to a cotton one and a plastic looking medal.

Seems like a lot of people were complaining about water but to be fair I think one water station is enough for a 10k. Just my opinion. My water just went all over me anyway!! I only had a small sip and then the rest over the head.

Overall a great day in the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Trappers Son

LaHaine wrote: »
    Today:

10km in 54.57. Delighted with that.

I felt strong for the whole thing and I definitely feel like I could have done better. The heat was a killer but I got into a nice rhythm early and was never under too much pressure.

The aim was to do this in under 55 minutes so I scraped it but I think, all things considered-heat wise, this is a very good run for me. So im a happy camper.!!

Feels like I actually am making some progress after today. I suppose the one down side is that I was able to sprint the last 500 metres so obviously I had more in the tank that I could have used around the ten k but you live and learn as they say.

The start of the race was very dragged out which was a bit annoying but the weather meant that it wasnt too much of an issue. I was amazed that, even with the different time groups and being let off at different times, I still passed people walking after a few hundred metres. Like, are people really this stupid? Its so ignorant to others who pick the correct time for themselves and are aiming for good times.

The tshirt is pretty crap for the price, maybe if they put a bit more money into that and got rid of the medal it would be better? I know Id prefer a technical tshirt to a cotton one and a plastic looking medal.

Seems like a lot of people were complaining about water but to be fair I think one water station is enough for a 10k. Just my opinion. My water just went all over me anyway!! I only had a small sip and then the rest over the head.

Overall a great day in the sun!

49:36..

Was aiming for under 50. Was delighted. I agree with most of your points. People walking after 500 metres was ridiculous considering they were in the orange group. I think I started way to quick. First k was done after 4:15.. Kept around the 5 minute per kilometer mark all the way through. Not sure how much an effect the hear had.

I felt the course was very difficult. Very hilly which I wasn't expecting at all!

Today:

Its been a busy week with a few things in work etc so today was my first run of the week. I had it in my head that i wanted to run 15 kms tonight. So I did!!

15km in 1.31.50. Obviously not the fastest but it was my LSR so distance was the goal more than anything else. Its the longest Ive ran since I did a half marathon in Sept 09 so im pretty pleased with myself.

Today:

80.1km cycle.

Ive done longer distances before but this was down in Wicklow and included a lot of big hills so pretty happy with myself.

Today:

10.01km run in 54.32.

Thinking about signing up to the Dublin City Marathon on pay day. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I am a bit concerned about getting the long runs in coming up to Gaelforce but id imagine it would be ok?

Today

46.65 km cycle after work.

Today:

10km run 57.30.

Slow one, but god its hot out there. Decided to run on the beach and I ended up running into a hot gale. Very tough going. Obviously I had the wind in my back on the home route but I was feeling it by then!

Bit of a disaster of a weekend training wise, havent done anything despite being off work. Had a good bit to drink on Saturday and Im still not right from it. Im not too worried though, its rare that I do it anymore.

Feels like a good time to have a bit of a round up of how training has gone so far and maybe to re-evaluate some goals.

The Positives:
    • Since the start of the year Ive progressed from not running at all to my longest run to date of 15 kms.
    • Ive lost about a stone in weight.
    • Ive gotten back some decent fitness cycling wise.
    • I havent eaten any chocolate/sweets/crisps or had any fizzy drinks this year.
    The negatives:
    • Im starting to fall back into bad habits stretching wise-ie not doing any.
    • I still havent sorted out my diet properly in some ways, often skip breakfast and get something crappy in work rather than something which will fill me.
    • Im still not as consistent with my running as I'd like to be.
    • Although I have increased the distance of my runs I'm still very slow.
    Whats next!

Well, Ive added another big goal for the year and that's to finish the Dublin City Marathon in under 4 hours.

I will be following Hal Higdon's novice training plan - Ive seen many people on Boards use it successfully so Im happy that its effective.

The programme is 18 weeks so by my calculations ill be starting that on 27 June.

So up on til then Ill keep going as I am - 2 cycles roughly a week and then one long slow run and a couple of shorter runs. I think I need to start getting some faster running done as well. Otherwise Ill never have any but a snails pace when I run.

Coming up to Gaelforce Ill have to keep cycling so I suppose I can substitute one of the shorter midweek runs for a cycle.

I also want to do the Wicklow 100 this year if possible so I want to get some nice long spins done down in Wicklow over the next few weekends.

Other than that I suppose its a matter of keeping going as I have been. Ive cut down a lot on drink and my diet is moving in the right direction - I just need to be more consistent with when I eat etc. The bad choices tend to come when I havent planned ahead.

The one thing Im really happy with is that Ive kept at this all. Sure, there's been some bad weeks but I have never felt like giving up and Im enjoying it all.

Oh and my knees havent exploded yet, so its all systems go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

LaHaine wrote: »
    Well, Ive added another big goal for the year and that's to finish the Dublin City Marathon in under 4 hours.

I will be following Hal Higdon's novice training plan - Ive seen many people on Boards use it successfully so Im happy that its effective.

The programme is 18 weeks so by my calculations ill be starting that on 27 June.

I'm in the exact same situation as yourself, sub-4-hour goal, HH novice plan starting 27 June! Fair play on losing a stone. If you've any more to lose, like myself, I imagine it will fall off during marathon training :)

Today:

5km run 24.10. Im going to force myself to try to beat my 5k time every week. My speed is non existent and I tend not to push myself because its always tough.

So one 5k at snails full pace once a week, no excuses.

Today:

46km cycle. Brought garmin for first time cycling. Average speed of 25km an hour according to it. Not sure how much stopping at traffic lights etc is affecting it as i was pushing 30 for most of it.
    Bit of man flu at the minute so just happy to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Fair play to you, LH keep it up. I too am in a similar boat in that I intend to do GFW (did my first one last year) and am toying with the idea of DCM. Do you run alone or with a group. I've been going with a group the last two months and my speed has definitely improved. Maybe this is what you need if you're concerned about your speed. Have you given any thought to your target time?

Today:

Long slow run.18km in 1.44.
    Delighted with the distance. I've been a bit sick the past couple of days so didn't get anythin done so feels good to get a long run in

snailsong wrote: »
    Fair play to you, LH keep it up. I too am in a similar boat in that I intend to do GFW (did my first one last year) and am toying with the idea of DCM. Do you run alone or with a group. I've been going with a group the last two months and my speed has definitely improved. Maybe this is what you need if you're concerned about your speed. Have you given any thought to your target time?

I have no idea of a target time yet to be honest. I'm still at the level where finishing will make me a very happy man. That might change and i might narrow in on a target time as training progresses but for now its about finishing.

I always run on my own. I find running with others distracting. I like to go off into a world of my own. Ah i'm not overly concerned about speed. I just need to be more aware that i need to push myself at times i think!

Today:

60 km cycle. Legs still tight from run on saturday and i'm still a bit under the weather so this was a struggle at times.

Looked like a lovely day for a cycle but very gusty so that was a pain.

Today:

5k run, 23.24.

Hello mr pb, barely recognised you, its been so long,

Hardly fast but most importantly getting faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dubs114

Congrats on your log man, its no easy task at hand so fair play to you. You seem to be running similar times as myself. Ive just completed Monstermac adventure race in cork, 65kish of pain, hills and more hills. took me 4hrs 56mins. I was delighted to finish but i did implode on the last cycle it killed me. Ive done Harlequin adventure race last month and Westport sea2summit november 2010.

Toying with the idea of doing Gaelforce now.......will i wont i, will i wont i. Defo feel after monster mac im capable of it. Im doing a half marathon in newry at the end of May so that should get my running distance up to a good level so that i can be happy going into Galeforce. My weakness is mountain running, its something thall ill have to address sooner rather than later. Croagh Patrick is tough but the views are stunning and its fun decending it. Your log will keep me going.

Go for it! Sign up. Every time i think about being lazy and not going running or cycling i think about how painful gaelforce will be. Best inspiration ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You're flying it La Haine. GF will be no bother to you with that training. You're doing far more than I was last year and got under 5 hours.

Would recommend throwing some trail running into the mix. Different beast to road running and Croagh Patrick really knocks the crap out of people not prepared for it.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You're flying it La Haine. GF will be no bother to you with that training. You're doing far more than I was last year and got under 5 hours.

Would recommend throwing some trail running into the mix. Different beast to road running and Croagh Patrick really knocks the crap out of people not prepared for it.

Cheers! Yeah hopefully the hours now will stand to me on the day.

Hoping to start a bit of trail running alright. Not easy living in dublin city centre with no car. Train to howth or bray for a few runs may be the solution.

• Advertisement

Today:

9.26 run in 51.23. Supposed to be ten k but it was an out and back run and i turned back too quickly. Then i was too lazy to try to make it longer on way back.

Time for some cheerios. The food of champions

Advertisement