Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sunday 31st July - Day 8 No Running - Day 2 Cross Training

First cycle out on the road in ages. Wowee it was scary and fun at the same time. Im not sure what kind of bike I have- it says trecking cross on it so I think its a mountain bike/road bike but really not sure. Im a total novice when it comes to cycling- so much so when I went out on the road it took me a few minutes to realise I was on the wrong side. Best bit and most scary bit was coming down a hill at 39.7kmph. I pulled the brakes a few times though as I was afraid of falling off:eek: 5.58 miles in total in 34 minutes. Very slow I know but I cant figure out how to use my gears so I used the same one for both up and down hills which ment I was crawling along sometimes:o.

Went for my first walk since the injury this evening. The physio and Dr said I should walk a lot to help the healing but I havent really being doing much so decided I should walk the dog today. 40 stop/start minutes with the doggie trying so hard to be all grown up and trying out his new big dog peeing method but not succeeding very well.

Arch is sore now but that is to be expected I suppose.

End of July and Im back where I was last July- injured and not running. Hopefully my recovery will be a lot faster this year. However Im glad I have to bike to focus on now. Today was really Day 1 for cycling- Im so bad the only way is up!

Just a quick update on how things are going this week. I have been out on a few walks with the dog usually about 45 minutes and there has been a good improvement in the arch. Last nights walk was great- no pain at all , just a barely noticeable dull ache in it. I dont think Im ready to run any time soon but I feel its heeling anyway. Managed to get my diet back on track since Wednesday, stopped the comfort eating- Im not going to allow myself go to ruin over this injury.

Went swimming in the pool today for the first time in ages- so long since I' ve been in a pool- I dont even remember. I have swam a little in the lake but that was with a bouyancy aid and just flopping along really. Still I thought I was fit and would be able to just do lenghts up and down no bother....well erm thats not exactly what happened:o. After 2 lenghts I felt like I was going to collapse- swimming is waaayyy harder than I remembered! Managed 500m in the end. Its a start and I was really enjoying it by the end.

Physio tomorrow, cant wait to hear what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck at the physio tomorrow Bally8 i am sure you will get some good news and will be back to it in no time. Will keep my fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fingers crossed for good news at the physio's today Bally8!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Best of luck with the physio today Bally8.

• Advertisement

Thanks gals. I got on as well as can be expected I suppose. No running for another week but he gave my strength, balance and stretch exercises to do so thats a step in the right direction. Next week is a test week he said. I will be allowed run 10 minutes next Monday and if that doesnt hurt to run 10 minutes on Thursday and then 10 the following sunday. If that isn't easing back into it I dont know what is!! He said that so far Im recovering very well and hopefully I will be back running regularly in a few weeks but this injury is unpredictable as its not a predictable chronic planter fasiciia injury its acute and so he cannot guess how it will react.

So this week Im going to cross-train, stretch and strenghten my ass off!!

Oh and Dublin is out but I kind of knew that so Im not too sad. I just want to sort this injury now. There will be other marathons next year. He said he thinks I could be up to half marathon distance by December but not marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The half marathon in Waterford is in December - it's a good race. Glad you are being upbeat and positive. Look after yourself.

jcsmum wrote: »
    The half marathon in Waterford is in December - it's a good race. Glad you are being upbeat and positive. Look after yourself.

Mmmm very interesting...I think you have just found me my new goal for the rest of the year:)

Since Monday...

Lots of stretching, strength work and balance stuff. I've also been walking the dog everyday and because he is more like a horse than a dog its not a leisurely stroll- more like a fast paced drag down the road. Had a guy say to me 'you should put a saddle on him' as he passed by on Tuesday:)

Got a bike rack for the car yesterday so now Im all set to join the group cycle with the North Tipp Wheelers on Sunday :eek: Im sooo scared!!!! But I rang up to arrange going last weekend and didnt go as I wasnt going to cycle to Nenagh to meet them and then go on a 30 mile cycle then cycle home. So I cant chicken out twice in a row.

As I have only been out on the bike once since August 2010 I decided a practice cycle was needed today to settle my nerves:). My hubby gave me some tips on how to use my gears so I unlike last week I would have a range of gears available to me instead of sticking to the one. Wow it made a huge difference!

20.5k in 1:23. Very very slow at times, nice and fast going down hills- love that! Once or twice my legs felt like they were in flames of agony and I was breathing like I was having a panic attack but I survived and felt great because I knew I was finally having a proper workout.

Terrified and excited about Sundays cycle. The beginners group is supposed to go at 14 mph. My cycle today averaged at 8.6mph :o

1 hr walk with lots of hills this evening with the horse. Feeling a nice bit of pain in my arch tonight, thats a bit worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on getting stuck into the cross training and recovery - great attitude. Best of luck with the cycle at the weekend - it'll be good fun and a very satisfying challenge!! :D

• Advertisement

You have great dedication with crosstraining Bally8. Well done on the cycling and have a great time on Sunday.

By the way, could I borrow your dog for my LSR tomorrow morning? I have a feeling I'll be needing a ride home :D.

Best of luck with the cycling Bally8 and the horse walking :D Hope the injury is healing up nicely for you.

Cycle didnt happen in the end:(. 3 hours broken sleep Saturday night wasnt the best preparation so I decided to leave it. Walked for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon instead.

Today I was allowed to run for 10 minutes. First time running in 23 days! My arch has been sore all week since I saw my physio last monday so I was a bit concerned. Walked for 5 minutes to warm up then ran at a very slow pace for the 10 minutes. Although it felt a bit sore for the first 2 or 3 minutes it eased after that and was fine for the rest of my mini run. 5 minutes walk home. Success!

10 minute run allowed Wednesday and Friday- woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Wed 17th Aug - 10 minute run, arch a bit sore, I think I've taken a step back in my recoverybecause Im not sure if I should be pain free by now or is this low level pain ok.
    Hubby got his new bike so we went on a 13.95km cycle. Its so hilly around here, a great place to serve our cycling apprentiship, if we can cycle here we can cycle anywhere!!

Thurs 18th Aug - 14.54km cycle, had to get off about half way round going up this one killer hill, I have only ever been able to run the whole way up it once. Aim now is to be able to cycle up it in the next few weeks.
    40 min walk with dog.

Friday 19th Aug - 550m swim. Added 2 lenghts to last weeks swim, this is the furthest I've ever swam in one session:), delighted with that. Im really enjoying it except for when I try the freestyle stroke (think that's what it's called:o) I think Im going to drown and its all panic so I mostly do the breast stroke. Im going to sign up for lessons in September to try improve on that.
    50 min walk with the dog.
    Did my 10 minute run this evening, my arch is quite sore now. Im going away for a few days on Sunday so no more running till next Wednesday, I think the rest will do it good.

Sat 20th Aug
    Went to see the Worlds End Triathlon in Castleconnell today. Very exciting stuff, had a few friends competing. If only I could swim I would be very tempted to try this race next year.

Walked about 3.5 miles this afternoon

Later on hubby and I went for a 27.28km cycle. Our longest to date. We cycled from Portroe to Nenagh, met up with a friend did about 4 miles around Nenagh then home again. Wow those hills are killers. It was such a confidence builder of a cycle. I really thought there was no way I could cycle up the big hills coming back to Portroe but I put the head down and pushed, pushed, pushed up and over. It might sound weird but I was amazed with myself- amazed with what my body is actually able to do if I push it. Great day!

Bally8 wrote: »
    Sat 20th Aug
    Went to see the Worlds End Triathlon in Castleconnell today. Very exciting stuff, had a few friends competing. If only I could swim I would be very tempted to try this race next year.

Hmm, sounds to me like you've subconsciously set yourself a target Bally8 ;)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

B8, what kind of things*... eh.. stretches etc did you do for your achilles? Was stopping running for a while inevitable once it flared up? I've the beginnings of niggly achilles going on:( Want to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse which hopefully won't mean taking a break :( but if it does so be it.....
    * not looking for medical advice :pac:

littlebug wrote: »
    B8, what kind of things*... eh.. stretches etc did you do for your achilles? Was stopping running for a while inevitable once it flared up? I've the beginnings of niggly achilles going on:( Want to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse which hopefully won't mean taking a break :( but if it does so be it.....
    * not looking for medical advice :pac:

I stupidly ignored mine for ages and ran through it littlebug so it was in very bad shape by the time I did anything about it.

A great exercise which my physio says I should be doing all the time even though my achilles is fully healed is double heel raises. You can do this on the flat to start or else on a step. Go up on your toes for the count of 2 then slowly lower for the count of 4. Both feet at the same time. 3 x 15 sets 2 to 3 times a day. They you can progress to single heel raises on a step after a while where you go up with both feet but only lower the affected heel below the step for a count of 4.

Hope that makes sense and fingers crossed it is only a niggle littlebug.

Hmm, sounds to me like you've subconsciously set yourself a target Bally8 ;)!!

Maybe maybe mary although my swimming is so poor Im not sure. It has a try a tri option of 175m which should be achievable by then if I get lessons:)

• Advertisement

Back last night from our little holiday in Kerry. Had a great time, lots of hill walking and messing around in the sea. Wetsuits are a great invention!! Some great food too:).

Today was about getting back into the swing of things- diet and exercise back on track so I did my 10 minutes running this morning before breakfast. Still a niggle in my arch, no improvement at all:(

Went on a 19.6km cycle with the OH after lunch, hills hills and more hills. My chain came off about 3k in. Luckily MrBally8 knew how to put it back on because I was clueless (its actually simple so I will be able to do it myself when it happens again). My arch was a bit angry at me when I got off the bike at the end but it was totally worth it. Im loving cycling, Im very very slow but that doesnt matter to me yet, its just great to get out there.

After dinner we took the horse dog for a 50 minute dragwalk

Physio tomorrow, I think he is going to be disappointed with the lack of progress with my arch. Fingers crossed he thinks more running is the way to heal it:D

Best of luck with the physio today, Bally.

Best of luck with the physio today, Bally.

Thanks Mary. Its hard to describe how it went. He thinks it is healing very slowly but will get there in the end. Running has to take a back seat for now and I have to very slowly easy myself back into it. No running for 4 days to recover from the latest shockwave session then I can try running for 20 minutes every second day until I see him again in 3 weeks time. Im willing to take this very slowly. All races for the rest of this year are cancelled and hopefully by the New Year I will be back on track ready to start training again.

Friday 26th August
    Went for my third swim of the year this morning. Felt much stronger today and was delighted to do the first 20 lengths in 26 minutes. I know that time is pants but I can only do the breaststroke and cant put my head under the water. Also when I did 20 lenghts 2 weeks ago it took me 40 minutes beacuse I had to take breaks every 2 lengths:o 32 lengths in total= 800metres.

14.44km cycle after lunch with my hubby. Short one as he was stuck for time. Took us 51 minutes. Again very slow but better than any of our previous cycles, we didnt stop to have a drink or check out the views from the top of any hills. Im having the weirdest sensation from cycling, I feel sick almost immediately every cycle so today I tried not drinking anything but it made no difference, l kept doing these little burps that sometimes felt like I might actually hurl:eek: Dont know what thats about, maybe the way Im sitting on the bike?

40 minute walk with the dog this evening.

A good days exercise. (Still wish I was training for DCM though:()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Bally8 you are doing great at your swimming and cycling. Have to admire you for getting out and doing them, not sure i would. you will be back training for a marathon in the new year... i just know it. ;)

Thanks Nules fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Hi Bally8
    Just catching up on your log, well done with your swimming and cycling.
    Good luck with your recovery and patiences to not run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

l kept doing these little burps that sometimes felt like I might actually hurl:eek: Dont know what thats about, maybe the way Im sitting on the bike?

This might sound stupid:o but..... mouth open? Gulping in air? It sounds like how I would feel if I'm running (or even walking) into a really strong wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks Mary. Its hard to describe how it went. He thinks it is healing very slowly but will get there in the end. Running has to take a back seat for now and I have to very slowly easy myself back into it. No running for 4 days to recover from the latest shockwave session then I can try running for 20 minutes every second day until I see him again in 3 weeks time. Im willing to take this very slowly. All races for the rest of this year are cancelled and hopefully by the New Year I will be back on track ready to start training again.

Good luck with the return to running, we'll be back racing soon (ish)...;)

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the recovery! You're flying it with the swimming and cycling - keep up the good work.

Advertisement