Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hope I haven't given you what I have :eek::(

Thankfully not Rainbow, I think your dose is much much worse than mine. I seem to be almost 100% again.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thankfully not Rainbow, I think your dose is much much worse than mine. I seem to be almost 100% again.

Glad to hear you're on the mend anyway! I wouldn't wish this bug on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Things took a bit of a weird turn when my lips turned blue and my temperature went right up and I was having very bad pain in my upper back. Luckily MrBally8 is a paramedic and he took great care of me. He was a bit worried for a while as I was displaying all the symptoms of a heart attack

Jeez A, that sounds scary! Just as well Mr. Bally8 is good and calm, Mr. Racheljev wouldn't have been much use. Hope you're feeling better and no more of that scary stuff happens.

6.35 miles today. A horrible run. Just one of those hating every minute of it runs that happen every now and again. My legs felt very heavy, my breathing very laboured and there was no speed in me whatsoever. A terrible 70minute run.

Not down about it or anything though- I've had plenty runs like that before and know I'll have plenty brilliant runs again. Passed the 300 miles for the year so far today- delighted to get there uninjured!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

I hear ya Bally8 just back from one of those kind of runs myself. Torture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just catching up now Bally8 - bug does not sound pretty. Hope you'll be ok for 10km.

Feeling a lot better today so did 4.2 miles with the hubby. Slowish first mile to warm up then I went off trying to push it to see if I could get my time down to what I need for the 10k. It was tough though as the second half of the second mile was a continuious uphill drag and my legs were burning by the time I go to the top. After that I kind of gave up for a few minutes and walked at a snails pace. Decided that I would never get back home if I kept walking so started jogging again. 9:36 for the 4th mile- happy with that one. 44:40 all together. Way too slow for a sub60 10k.

Off to Imelda May in Cork now :D

6.45 miles in 1:07:52 today. I have 2 different ways of looking at it. On one hand it was a nice run average pace 10:32 which is faster than my last run but on the other hand it wasnt a lsr it was supposed to be as close to sub60 pace as I could get. But it was nowhere near that. I need to find a minute per mile in order to achieve this next Saturday:eek:. So its seriously looking like I'm not going to get the sub60 and I feel all horrible because I've told everyone of my aim:o

Who knows a good clean diet for the week, lots of sleep and maybe just maybe the excitement of the day will provide the miracle I need :)

Dublin Marathon Training Run - Week 1 - Run 1
    3.1 miles in 30:49. Woohoo Im all excited to be starting. Not sure if my bodly will get me to the start line but fingers crossed it holds up. I'm going to do everything I can to get there though so its clean diet, more sleep and sticking to the training plan as much as possible from today on.

Really feel good about this run. Average pace was 9:56 :D. Fastest pace was the third mile in 9:35. After a slow enough start I was feeling good by mile 3 and was able to just put the foot down and motor home. Feeling a lot better about Saturday now.

Well done Bally8 i am with you on the journey all the way through... the very best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Nules, its great to have support and encouragement on here. In real life most people tell me I'm mad to be doing this again:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In real life most people tell me I'm mad to be doing this again:)
    But it's a good sort of madness :D

:D I dont even try to explain or defend mysel for running anymore. Let them think we are mad!

But it's a good sort of madness :D

A few of my friends who i thought would NEVER run have started running now..... soon they too will be mad :D

Week 1- Run 2
    Im following Hal Higdon Novice 2 at the moment so today was 5 miles pace. I'm presuming it means PMP so I put the time I predict I'll finish (4:45) into McMillan and it said 10:53. So I went out in the lashing rain and ended up doing 5.13 miles in 54:31 average pace of 10:38. Happy with that. Shin a bit sore so I iced it and my arch is still hurting a bit when I walk but not when I run so Im ignoring it for now. Cant afford a trip to the physio at the moment.

Week 1 - Run 3
    Didnt get home until very late so had to do this run on the dreadmill. 3 miles in 28:31. Very happy with that time. I did the first half mile warm up at 6mph then 2 miles at 6.5 then a half mile cool warm down at 6mph. Maybe it was a good thing to give my legs a break from the road tonight as my shin is still a bit niggly.

Collected my race number in Ennis this evening. Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck in Ennis Bally8. You'll smash that sub 60 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good Luck on Saturday Bally8 :) You'll fly it!

Thanks guys, fingers crossed. Im not very confident of the sub60 but who knows what will happen. I will do my ruddy best to get it though...

Best of luck tomorrow bally8... hope the weather clears up a bit for it.

• Advertisement

Good luck missus, hope it goes well! I'm off to Dunshaughlin tomorrow for 10k, bit apprehensive meself. Hope we all have a good pb smashing day!

Clare 10k Sat 25th June
    I know I should be very happy but I cant help but be disappointed with todays race. We were late leaving home so by the time we got to Ennis I was in a bit of a panic about getting to the toilet before the race started and I reeeeally needed to go! Mr. Bally8 and my brother dropped me at the gates to Lees Road and they went off to park the car. That was the last I saw of them until after the race.

Couldnt find the ladies toilet so popped into the gents while averting my eyes :o. The PA guy was announcing 3 minutes to the start and I felt under huge pressure to be at the start in time. Finally took up my position in the middle of the pack and then stood in the lashing rain for about 10 minutes while they waited for late-comers:mad:. No need for all my freaking out after all.

Finally we were off. The first k was constant undulation as we made our way out of the Lees Road complex. I was glad to get out on to flatter terrain once we were out on the road. I had heard yesterday that this course was short last year so I made sure to take all the corners wider than usual and even though everyone else was running on the footpath I kept to the road at all times. Reached 1 mile in 8:52:D my fastest mile ever. Felt good and ploughed on.

A friend of mine caught up with me at about 1.5 miles and my first thought was 'ah crap I hope he continues on and leaves me behind as I have to run at my own pace'. He was chatting away and I told him to go on - I was running at my max by then. He said no problem he was happy to go at this pace so he stayed with me chatting away. In the end I was delighted he was there. The miles started to fly by without my usual constant checking the garmin. Reached 4 miles in 38:16

I was finding the pace tough but my friend gave me huge encouragement and told me just to dig deep, that I could get a sub 60, I was tough enough. So I kept pushing on. At 8k I knew I would have to push it so we picked up the pace even though I really felt I had nothing left. I kept asking could I walk and there was no way he was going to let me:).

9k comes at the entrance to the Lees Road complex and you are also met with a big hill, its short but was very tough at this point. Cue another set of undulations, a very difficult end to the race. At this point I was curious as to where the finish line would be as it looked like we were coming to the end and my garmin wasnt reading 6 miles yet. Realised we were going to finish on the track- which was fun as Ive never finished a race on a track before. Gave it one last push to cross the line in 58:11. I should be thrilled. This is what I have been aiming for since I took up running. It is my biggest goal for 2011.

But...my garmin read 6.1...the course was short! I know that if it was 6.21 I would still have gotten my sub 60- the last .1 of a mile took me 38 seconds but that doesnt matter. I didnt run 10k so it cant be counted:( Im so bummed!

My husband finished a few minutes later- his garmin read 6.08 miles so it wasnt just mine that read it short.

Got a flyer at the end for a 10k in 2 weeks time. Im going to do it to try and finally get an official sub 60 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Got a flyer at the end for a 10k in 2 weeks time. Im going to do it to try and finally get an official sub 60 10k.

Love the attitude and well done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So annoying! But at least now you know you can do it, all you need is a race to run...

Yeah that's the best thing about today- the realisation that I can do it and with better training I think I could push for even better than sub60 in the future. Just need the sub60 first:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So annoying that it was a short course. The organisers should be hung IMO :mad:. But if I were you I'd take it as the sub 60 monkey being off your back. Even if you had crawled the extra 120m you would have made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Bally8. You did it! :D:D On what sounds like a testing enough course too!
    How annoying that it's short though :mad: especially if they'd been told last year.

Well done Bally8 thats a great result... its always a good feeling to get that first sub60 in a 10k.... and congrats on the fastest mile too under 9 mins excellent ;)

Well done missus, delighted for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Well done Bally8, thats a fantastic time (what me dreams are made off! :D)

you will deffo get that again, keep it up so I cant keep reading for inspiration!

Advertisement