Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks RQ. I suppose it is good going its just hard when you are in a group of about 100 and cant hang on to them. I spent a lot of the day trying to catch up only to be dropped over and over again. I suppose I've only been cycling 8 months now and most of the guys out there have been doing this for years. I will definitely be going back next year to try keep with the main bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's fantastic B8, If I can do that in 8 months I'll be delighted !

Thanks gals, Im feeling a bit better about it now. Still hated it but I know it was good going really.

Anyways I took yesterday off to recover from Sunday. Today was Club TT No.2
    I wondered if last week was fluke and if I would be able to match my time of 28:59 for the 9.1 miles. My legs were very tired from Sunday but I decided to just go for it and see what happened. I was one of the last to go as it was a handicapped system again. All I wanted was to not be over taken for as long as possible. My speedometer is still not working right so I had no idea of my pace so I just pushed as hard as I could. I kept saying to myself 'It will all be over in a few minutes, keep pushing'.

Crossed the line with a time of 27.54 a 65 second improvement on last week. Woohoo :D

That's brilliant B8,
    how'd you move that fast :confused: I was delighted with myself this week getting my10 mile time down to 45 mins :rolleyes:

Thanks littlebug. I dont know where this sudden burst of speed has came from. All I know is the shorter distance on the bike suits me way better than long distance. I think its the mental thing of the faster I go the faster it will all be over :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Great cycling Bally8, 27kph over 120k is an average I'd be damn happy with! :)

Wed 30th May - Club Ow swim. 26 turned up tonight- great to have so many about. I took the easy option of swimming pier to pier. 8 times in total = 725 m. Starting to get the hang of sighting but still finding it all a bit of a struggle.

Thursday 31st May - Club 6.30am swim. Only 2 of us in the slow lane this morning so I was able to take it nice and easy. Had no choice really- I was still asleep, its my first morning swim in over a month. Lots of kick work. 1900m total.

Friday 1st June - Finally a run! 4.11 miles in 40 mins, nice and easy no pain or niggles. Happy with that. I really need to get back into regular running. Hopefully from next week I will get out 3 times a week.

Sorry guys I've been neglecting my log and everyone elses recently. Will try to remedy that over the next few days.

Since last week:
    Saturday 2nd June: My daughters 13th birthday today but I still managed to pop out for the tri club cycle. 70.6kms in 2:22. Loved it, nice fast pace and a sprint finish. Good fun.

Sunday 3rd June: Had a friend visiting so we did a nice hill walk up Tountinne. So beautiful up there and a nice stretch on the quads and hamstrings. Club lake swim in Youghal later on. Happy to have gotten out as far as the second buoy for the first time. Can see small improvements- slowly slowly.

Monday 4th June: 3.33 mile slow hungover run. Finally reached 200 miles for the year:o

Tuesday 5th June: Club TT. I decided to give the 14 mile route a go this week. Horrible weather for it but maybe it motivated me to go faster in order to get out of it quicker :D 43:37

Wednesday 6th June: I had planned to run and swim today but when I got home from work I was wrecked so I kept putting it off. But the fact I had the plan stuck up on the wall meant I couldnt avoid it so off I went for my run. Tummy in bits all day so it got a big dodge towards the end of the first mile. I decided to turn back soon after 3.23 mile easy run- getting faster at the end to make it to the toilet :o

Club lake swim in Dromineer later on. I had planned on taking my usual easy pier to pier option but gave into peer pressure and took the plunge to swim out to the pink buoy- thrilled with myself. I was soo slow but I had plenty of encouragement which spurred me on. Couldnt give up it would have been embarrassing. Now that I've done it once I'll have to keep doing it now I suppose!

Thursday 7th June: Still being tortured with my stomach bug but determined not to break my training streak I peeled myself out of bed for the 6.30am club swim. Probably not the best idea in hindsight. I struggled through it and felt so sick. Had to jump out at one stage as I really thought I was going to spew. Went back in but only managed 2 lengths before I wanted to puke again so it finished up. 1200m total.

Should be doing the local cycle clubs TT this evening but I just not up to it. Hope this bug is gone by tomorrow. Fed up of it now.

Sat 9th June - Day trip to Kilkee to practice the Hell of the West route with 6 others from the club. Beautiful day- I have the most amazing farmers tan to prove it :)

I didnt do the swim route as Im just not able for it yet but did manage to cover a nice distance along the buoys. It felt much easier swimming in the sea than the lake. Enjoyed it.

A nice leisurely transition from sea to bike (about 10 mins) and we were off on the 44k race route. It's hilly that's all I can say. But not too tough and I enjoyed the sprint to the end.

Lastly that awful run up Dunlicky (sp?) road. I was dead by then and had to walk large portions of the hills. I was so hot and kept cramping. 10k in 65 mins :(

Great day, I really enjoyed it, especially sitting at the side of the road eating sandwiches after. So glad I'm not doing the full race though. It's bloody tough.

Sunday 10th June - Club OW swim in Youghal. M and I decided to try get out to the barrel and left the other maniacs off to do their crazy long swim. We totally took the pi**. Got to the barrell no problem then spent about 10 mins floating around chatting then did the breaststroke back to shore. We only did the front crawl when we knew the others could see us :) Not really a productive swim but a nice and relaxing way to recover from the day before.

Took a rest day Monday and then headed off the the Burren for an overnight stay with my students for their GAISCE adventure challenge walk. It went really well. They were all so wrecked after the walk that they all slept like babies for the night. Wednesday morning we climbed Turlough Hill which was tough going. Only 4 of them made it to the top. On the way back down we somehow got separated and I was left with one of the boys. We realised pretty soon we were lost and spent the next hour trying to find our way back. He was lovely though- one of the less annoying teens I work with and we had a good laugh about it.

I was wrecked when I finally got home Wednesday evening but the club were having a triathlon and I felt I had to do it as I missed the TT on Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You're an adventure activity machine these days! Great going - you must be feeling some amazing benefits from it all, especially with all the fresh air. Keep up the good work! :)

• Advertisement

Woah- hit submit before I was finished last post!

Anyway

Wed 13th June - Dromineer Triathlon 2
    I was late arriving and so was all flustered getting into the water. I didnt have time to fix my wetsuit on properly or set my transition up so I was all over the place. I just had to take a deep breath and remind myself that this was only a club training session and I could take it easy if I wanted.

I was left behind on the swim in no time. I tried my bes to keep up with some feet but couldnt. My OW swim is total crap. I felt awful. And once again I had a mental battle with myself. Thinking 'who am I kidding I cant do this triathlon stuff. I should just give up and go back to just running even though I'm crap at that too!!'

Luckily there was one lad left with me and I followed him to the turn around buoy and back into shore. The embarrassing thing about it though was that he was faster breaststroking the whole way than I was front crawl:o.

I slowly walked out of the water and to transition. I really didnt care by then. I had decided to give this lark up so it didnt matter. One of the lads was shouting at me to go faster. I told him to shut up. Finally got on my bike and out on the road to Nenagh. After a few minutes I heard a loud buzzing noise. I ignored it for a while but then felt a tickle in my arm pit. Realised it was a bee or wasp so stopped, took my top off at the side of the road and shook it out. Knew by then my race was over so even though I pushed it on a bit I never put my all into trying to catch the others.

I hadn't planned on doing the run- my legs were in bits from the previous 2 days activities but getting back into transition I decided to give it a go and sure I could always turn back whenever I felt like it.

Weirdly enough I soon found a rhythm and while a few people ahead of me stopped to walk I managed to run the whole thing feeling pretty good.

700m swim, 19k cycle, 5 k run. Finished in 1:28.xx Not a good time in comparison to most there but still I did it and I know I will do heaps better in the next one.

Thursday 14th June - Club 6.30am swim. I was determined to do some good work in the pool this morning to try rectify my problem with being a total crap swimmer. Various warm up stuff for 28 lengths then 30 X 50m front crawl. Happy with the session. My longest distance covered yet.

Had planned to cycle later but the weather and my general exhaustion put paid to that.

claralara wrote: »
    You're an adventure activity machine these days! Great going - you must be feeling some amazing benefits from it all, especially with all the fresh air. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks claralara. I am definitely starting to feel the benefits. I feel way fitter and stronger than ever.

Friday 15th June- Swim I was caught for time today so it was just about getting in, belting out a few laps and out again. 250m warm up. Then decided to try using the clock. 50m in 60 seconds X5 by the 5th one it was taking me 70 seconds. Im going to keep trying this for the next while to see if it helps with my speed. A few more lengths focusing on my arms to finish. 1300m total

Saturday 16th June - Club Cycle I was pressed for time again today and knew that going for this 43 mile cycle was putting me under pressure. Still I love these cycles and didnt want to miss it so off I went. It turned out to be one of those cycles where you are left wondering what will happen next. We were 30mins late heading off as there were 2 punctures in the car park before a metre was even cycled!! Then about 10 minutes into the cycle one of the younger lads had a dizzy spell and fell over to his left knocking the guy beside him into the ditch and nearly causing the rest of us to have a huge pile up. It happened so suddenly that I nearly creased M ahead of me but luckly I managed to swerve and just brush off her and clipped out without killing myself either.

It took us about 10 minutes to agree that the young lad should be collected by his mother and to fix all the carnage left by the crash. We then set off for the rest of the cycle- the group now consisting of 6. Portroe hill killed me, my legs were dead after that and because time was precious I decided to take a shorter route home. 30 miles in over 2 hours.

Drove to Oranmore to get fitted for a new wetsuit and runners in Amphibian King. Happy with the advice I got (even if the girl was a bit nutty:)). My new 2XU suit feels 10 times more comfortable than the blueseventy one Im sending back to wiggle. My runners have been changed from my trusty kayanos to Brooks adrenalines. Hopefully both credit card damaging purchases will work out well for me.

Must go try out the runners now. Cant wait to see the difference in the wetsuit later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:(
    Sad to see another one go

Oh no :(:(
    Hope everythings ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Sorry to see this :( Hope all's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

littlebug wrote: »
    That's brilliant B8,
    how'd you move that fast :confused: I was delighted with myself this week getting my10 mile time down to 45 mins :rolleyes:

Wow. 10 miles in 45 minutes. I'd be delighted with that :)

Advertisement