Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Bally8 wrote: »
    1st October
    45.7km cycle with my OH. We did the same route that we followed 3 weeks ago but backwards-

Jeez, be careful you don't cause an accident ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jeez, be careful you don't cause an accident ;)

I knew someone would pick up on that! Why am I not surprised it was you?:D

I've been awful at updating this recently

So since my backwards cycle last Saturday I've:

Ran 30 min on treadmill on Sunday 2nd Oct
    Walked 30 mins at work with my students on Monday 3rd then went to my first ever Circuit Training class with Nenagh Tri Club. It was total torture, mental, crazy, hectic and so much fun. I loved it and cant wait for the next one.
    Swimming on Tuesday 4th Oct- Lesson No 4. First lesson with Shane the guy who should have been teaching us all along but he was sick. Wow he was excellent. I learnt more in that one lesson with him than I did in the previous 3 with the other instructors.
    Swam again on Wed with my girls at work. I arranged a lesson for them and practiced some stuff myself too. Nice job eh? Getting paid to learn how to swim!

Physio on Thursday- all going well. He thinks Im recovering well but it will take lots of time to get back on track. I dont have to go back now for 5 weeks.

Today I went swimming again. 30 lengths- 750 metres. Forgot everthing I learned at my lesson and ended up swallowing half the pool and feeling very sorry for myself. I question will I ever be fast enough to do a triathlon. Im so slow and inefficient and I dont seem to be improving at all. :o

Sat 8th Oct
    Up and out bright and early today to meet up with the Tri Club for my first ever group cycle. To say I was nervous is putting it mildly. Shouldn't have worried though- they were lovely, so nice and friendly and full of tips and information. We did a 45.66 km loop and it was push push push all the way. Being with a group is great, the chatting really distracted me from the pace and I was delighted to be able to keep up. I even took my turn at the front for a short bit. Took us 1hr 36 mins. Last time I cycled 45kms it took me 2:28! Thats nearly an hour faster today.

I've totally enjoyed the 2 sessions I've had with the tri club this week. I've always trained alone with the occasional session with my OH. Im loving working out with others, the social aspect is great and I find Im pushing myself way harder then when I go it alone.

Plan today was to talk the dog for a walk, pop him back home and head off for a short run. Rain was waaay too heavy though and after getting soaked on the walk I decided to wimp out and do my run on the treadmill. Plan was a slow 30 minutes but I was feeling good and had no pain in my arch so I kept going for another 5 minutes. Very happy with that 3.21 miles. Its the longest run I've had since I injured the foot in July:) whoot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Great to see that your arch is improving and that the training is going so well for you Bally8 :).

Mon 10/10
    Had a totally sh1tty day at work today. One of my students threatened to make up lies about me in order to get me fired. I told him to cop on and just ignored him but then I was stressing about it all afternoon. In our organisation if a student makes an accusation that a tutor did something inappropriate, the tutor is suspended pending an investigation. This guy is new, only with us two weeks so Im not sure what he is capeable of. My career could be ruined by the little bastard, even a rumour can do irrepairable damage when you work with children.

So with that in mind I headed off to circuit training for an hour and a half of a beating. It was sooo tough. It's like going somewhere to get the crap kicked out of you and then being thrilled at the end because you didnt die or puke!! Brilliant fun:D Definitely eased my stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

So with that in mind I headed off to circuit training for an hour and a half of a beating.

Your new student could probably do with this Bally8 :D

Your new student could probably do with this Bally8 :D

Ha ha I wish!

Stress gone today thank god- problem with annoying student sorted. He has promised to cop on and all seems back to normal now.

Tonight was my second last swimming lesson. Great lesson again. Didnt swallow half the pool and felt much more comfortable. I hope I can remember what to do when I go on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Glad everything with the student is sorted out. It can be very upsetting and extremely stressful. Sometimes they just need to calm down. Maybe he should take up running ;)

• Advertisement

Swimming this morning at work. Most of the time was spent chatting to the girls and floating around but I did manage to fit 16 lengths in and finally managed to do a full length of front crawl without swallowing any water - woohoo!

At home later I went out for a short run. 2 miles in 23 minutes. No niggles, lovely evening to be out and about.

Thursday 13th October
    What a lovely day. Really felt like summer. Went on a lovely long walk with MrBally8 and the dog. Although because our dog is a mental case it was more of a top speed power walk than a relaxing stroll:D

Later on I went to my first turbo class with the tri club. Again I was nervous beforehand as I had never even seen a turbo before tonight. The club has spares so all I had to do was show up with my bike, a towel and water. One of the guys set me up as I looked on like a complete clueless idiot. I dont have a clue how to describe the set we did. There was an easy spinning warm up followed by some one legged work then we worked our way up and down through the gears in and out of the saddle. Some more one legged stuff then a cool down. Wow the sweat was pouring off me. It was like working out in a sauna. Puddles on the ground under lots of the guys bikes- gross!

I really enjoyed it. It was embarrassing at times as I had never used my front ring gears before so was totally at a loss when I had to change into the big ring :o. They are so friendly in the club though so I never felt like all my questions were too annoying- maybe the guy who was next to me would say otherwise :o:o

I told my OH a few weeks ago that I wasnt getting any more gear for the bike this year but now Im very tempted to at least get bike shoes and cleats if not my own turbo:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bike shoes and cleats are a revelation.

Mind out when you are back on the road though - you have to remember to clip out when stopping. The learning curve is usually good for a few laughs (for other people)...but boy is it worth it!

That said, I've never done tris, so maybe the need to change shoes at transitions makes bike-specific shoes less attractive? Experts will inform us, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

This turbo stuff is double dutch to me :o but it sounds like you are taking to it like a duck to water! Great stuff :)

Glad your student hassles have been sorted, it must have been extremely stressful for you.

brownian wrote: »
    Bike shoes and cleats are a revelation.

Mind out when you are back on the road though - you have to remember to clip out when stopping. The learning curve is usually good for a few laughs (for other people)...but boy is it worth it!

That said, I've never done tris, so maybe the need to change shoes at transitions makes bike-specific shoes less attractive? Experts will inform us, I'm sure.

Ya Im very scared of the idea of being clipped onto the bike out on the road- Im only just used to my toe cage thing now:).

I was talking to a guy in Planet Tri yesterday about bike shoes. He showed me tri specific bike shoes which only have one velcro strap and have a bit on the back to make them easier to put on and off. Im beginning to think that cycling and getting in to triathlons will seriously wear out my credit card!

RubyK wrote: »
    This turbo stuff is double dutch to me :o but it sounds like you are taking to it like a duck to water! Great stuff :)

Glad your student hassles have been sorted, it must have been extremely stressful for you.

Its totally double dutch to me too Ruby, my red face last night was caused by two things- being wrecked from the great workout but also feeling totally silly and lost. Still I was proud of how I could do everything everyone else was doing so my bike fitness cant be as bad as I thought.

As for my student hassles its a great relief to have it sorted alright. I think I've done everything necessary just in case he ever follows through with his threat. It's all recorded and his parents have been informed. Its a pity though as I think he is a nice boy underneath it all but I have to be very wary around him now as I dont trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

. Still I was proud of how I could do everything everyone else was doing so my bike fitness cant be as bad as I thought.
    And so you shoud be! Fair play to you, you are really putting in the work and going for it :)
    As for my student hassles its a great relief to have it sorted alright. I think I've done everything necessary just in case he ever follows through with his threat. It's all recorded and his parents have been informed. Its a pity though as I think he is a nice boy underneath it all but I have to be very wary around him now as I dont trust him.

Hopefully the parents will have given him a kick up the arse, and he'll cop onto himself.

Friday 14th October
    My OH and I kind of went a bit overboard with the various types of exercise today. First was a 20.73km cycle on a very very hilly route. Made it up Charlie's hill into Portroe non stop for the first time ever and followed it with some more killer hills. Really tough but much easier with the road bike than the hybrid. I made a quick pit-stop for a pee and a drink then went out for a run. 2.15 miles in 23mins. Nice and slow again no niggles anywhere and I even managed to get the pace down under 10 minute miles for a bit:D

After lunch we went for a swim- I usually go on my own so was delighted that MrBally8 decided to come too. It was a great session, probably the most constructive session I've had since I started swimming in August. Usually I try to do the front crawl, end up swallowing lots of water, give up and do the breast stroke for the rest of my time in the pool. Today I decided to focus on getting my front crawl right so even when I swallowed water I just kept trying and eventually I was doing lengths without feeling like I was going to drown. I plan to do all my sessions like this until it finally clicks and I can do the whole session without getting lungs full of water:) Todays total 525 metres.

Back home then out the door to walk the dog in the lashing rain.

Im finally thrown down on the couch- wrecked! Have to get up bright and early tomorrow morning to meet tri club for a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

:eek: Awww man i have to sit down after reading that.... phew that's ALOT of exercise. Well done bally8 sounds like you are enjoying swimming running and cycling. well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So have you picked a target tri then or are going for a duathlon first?

Also don't suppose you've heard of any races over the Xmas period down home - 5km or 10 km. Won't mind a target race and work off the turkey at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

I have Raynauds Syndrome which is a circulation problem that really affects me in the winter.

I hope I'm not bothering you but I have Raynauds and Fibromyalgia and just wondering if you have any tips for the Raynauds with running over the winter this is the first winter i want to continue training I have bought some running gloves hoping they will do the trick!!!!

shazkea wrote: »
    So have you picked a target tri then or are going for a duathlon first?

Also don't suppose you've heard of any races over the Xmas period down home - 5km or 10 km. Won't mind a target race and work off the turkey at the same time!

I'd say I'll do a duathlon or two first Shaz. I think the club have a few in the run up to the North Tipp Sprint which will probably be my first triathlon all things going well.

Not too sure about races over Christmas.Im usually injured :(. I will keep and eye out and let you know. I think there is a 10k in Limerick St. Stephens Day- will try find out info

I have Raynauds Syndrome which is a circulation problem that really affects me in the winter.

I hope I'm not bothering you but I have Raynauds and Fibromyalgia and just wondering if you have any tips for the Raynauds with running over the winter this is the first winter i want to continue training I have bought some running gloves hoping they will do the trick!!!!

Hi diddleyland

I have never really had any bother running with Raynauds over the winter. Its day to day things like going from the house to the car etc that cause my circulation to go most often. I have gloves everywhere- in the car, in a few of my handbags, in my desk at work etc so Im never caught out. When going out for a run I make sure to have my gloves on but usually after a few minutes my hands warm up and I take them off and have no bother at all. Sometimes I do lose circulation but it comes back very quickly- I think it must have something to do with the exercise making the blood flow quicker around the body or something:). Im more likely to suffer coming out of my hot shower into my bedroom after a run than during the run itself. I've gone out on the coldest, snowiest days and have been fine once I've warmed up. Maybe you could try doing some warm ups indoors before you head out so that your circulation is going well before you hit the change in temperature.

Hope all that makes sense. Let me know how you get on.

Yesterday and today's training-
    Went on my second cycle with the Nenagh Tri group yesterday morning. A bigger group this time so I got to chat with more people. I really like to rolling system where you get a chance to cycle alongside everyone for a while. Taking my turn at the front wasn't as daunting this week and I was churning out a rocking pace of 32kms/hr. Luckily I was at the front for the flat bit along the main road:D. I've raised my saddle a bit because everyone else seems to have their saddle up way higher than their handle bars. Not sure if it was a good idea though- my back was a bit sore by the end of the cycle and my lady area felt broken yet again. We were out for 2 hrs and covered 51.17kms. Lovely way to spend a Saturday morning with the added bonus of feeling very smug to have my days exercise over and done with at 11am!

Today as a very lazy day for me. I spent at least 5 hours on the couch watching TV:eek:. Finally managed to drag my ass out the door and walked the dog. Decided that now I was moving I might as well get a run in. Did 3.5 miles on the treadmill. I got tired of plodding along as per physio's recommendation, so I pushed the pace a little and had a mini interval session. Got the speed up to 8mph a few times. I think my physio would kill me if he knew but Im so sick of running along at 11 minute miles. My arch is very sore now so that's what I get for not having patience:o. Still it felt great to run faster:D

So that's the end of a very good week. Between circuit training, swimming, running, walking, turbo and cycling I think I did over 11.5 hours of exercise- not bad if I say so myself!

Monday 17th October
    Circuit training tonight. God he really pushed us, it was great. Lots of arm work between circuits. Great way to start the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Not too sure about races over Christmas.Im usually injured :(. I will keep and eye out and let you know. I think there is a 10k in Limerick St. Stephens Day- will try find out info

Cool, ta. I thought the run in Limerick was a 10 miler so must look into that.

You're right Shaz the St. Stephen's day on is a 10miler. The 10k is on Christmas Day leaving from the Hunt Museum. I came across this old post from MCOS in 2008, not sure if all the races are happening this year but its a starting point for information

MCOS wrote: »
    14th December: 34th annual Bernie Meaney memorial 5K road-race
    St. Mary's Athletic Club, Kilmurry McMahon, Co. Clare - Sunday,
    Start-time: 1:30pm
    Entry-Fee: €10 - payable on the day

December 21st - Limerick A.C in association with the Limerick Leader have organized a 4.3 mile run from the University Arena. it takes the same course as the Ladies Mini Marathon - starting at 10.30am, sponsorship cards are available from the Limerick Leader Office. Spot Prizes are usually in abundance.

Christmas Day
    Hunt Museum to Daughters of Charity in Lisnagry Annacotty (approx 4.5 miles) run - this is a great annual event starting at the Hunt Museum at approx 10.30am. Hot Toddy's and tea at the end - a regular with many LTC members

Corbally Baths - for those who wish to subject themselves to more punishment after the run, the annual dip (est 50-100meters) at Corbally Baths takes place around noon in aid of Limerick River Rescue - even if ya don't want to get wet come along and drop in a few bob in the buckets and cheer on the clubmates

St. Stephen's Day - 26th December
    10 mile open Road race - 11am from Caherdavin. This is an annual event. Run starts at Caherdavin community hall and runs out to cratloe on the old road and comes back in the new new - finishing a couple 100 years just at the left turn at Ivans Lights. Fast course and great for getting rid of calories from the day before - again LTC always very well represented!
    5 mile fun run - the race also includes a 5 mile run from the same starting point

Saturday, 27th December
    Burren Charity Challenge - The Burren cycling club are organising a number of events to include a choice of the following
    - 5k/10k walk
    - 10k run
    -40k cycle
    -duathlon
    All start in Carran, Co Clare at 1pm with registration from 'early' that morning. all those interested should log on to www.burrencyclingclub.com for more details. Good event - the 10k/40k duathlon is a good race as regulars mike and Joan Griffen will agree!

New Years Day - Country Club A.C., a recently formed Athletic Club in LImerick were granted a permit to run a charitable fun run on New Years Day starting at the Country Club at 2pm. Again, a charitable donation is in order.

Sunday, 11th January 12.30pm. Mallow AC are host once again to this annual race. The organisers have asked that runners arrive as early as possible and no later than 11.30am to register as they are finding it increasingly difficult to process entries. Race starts at 12.30. There is also a non-competitive 10k walk starting at 12 noon. More details log on to www.mallowac.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Wow - you've been doing amazing stuff since I last caught up. Glad to see you back on your feet. How are you finding the swimming going. Had you done much swimming before (Spending a lot of time in the pool these days - what might charitably be described as "swimming" aka floundering - beginning to wonder if lessons might be an idea).
    My arch is very sore now so that's what I get for not having patience:o

Easy there. You've come a back a long way ... now is not the time to take chances. The injury support thread can continue on without the active support of its founder !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    How are you finding the swimming going. Had you done much swimming before (Spending a lot of time in the pool these days - what might charitably be described as "swimming" aka floundering - beginning to wonder if lessons might be an idea).

I only started swimming in August pgmcpq. I wouldnt be a total beginner- just like yourself I'd imagine I tended to just faff about in the water doing my own version of the breast stroke and not really getting very far. I started lessons 6 weeks ago-had my last one last night- and have found them great. I still swallow water regularly and my swimming fitness level is very low so I have a long way to go but I can definitely see an improvement.

Easy there. You've come a back a long way ... now is not the time to take chances. The injury support thread can continue on without the active support of its founder !

I know:) its very easy to get carried away when things start to go well so Im trying my best to not to rush back. Its hard though- Im dying to start doing longer or faster runs but know Im not ready for them yet.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 18th October
    Had my last swimming lesson tonight:( boo!! I wish there were 2 or 3 more as I can see progress and think a few more lessons would have brought me on in leaps and bounds. Im going to work on what I've learned for a while until Im more confident and then might get the courage to join in on a tri club swim sometime.

Wednesday 19th October
    Swimming at work again this morning. Only managed 10 lengths between all the chats. Happy enough with the bit I did though as I focused on getting my breathing right and managed to do most of them without swallowing too much water:D

Begin to Spin class after work. I think I might be ready for Meta's class instead next week. While I found today's class good, I didnt find it challenging enough and my face definitely wasn't as red as it could be after a good workout:D

Advertisement