Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Much happier today about the race yesterday, yeah its annoying about the course being short but my overall time and pace was better than I have ever ran before so Im very happy with that.

Today was a very enjoyable cross training day so I started off with a mile on the treadmill in 9:50. I then did 10 minutes on the rowing machine at 4 resistance. I moved on to some core work then which was:
    2 x 15 reps of- supported toe taps, side crunches (both sides), normal crunches, scissors and plank for 60 seconds.
    Nothing too amazing or challenging but it was my first day at it so I hope to do more exercises and reps as the weeks go on.
    Next was the stationary bike- 10 minutes at 4 resistance 4.2k (still not sure if its miles or kms but I think its kms). 1 minute slow, 1 minute all out reps for the 10 minutes.
    Back on the treadmill for 1 mile cool down in 10:30.

I really enjoyed the variety today, sweat buckets but felt good and strong throughout.

So thats Week 1 of Hal Higdon Novice 2 completed. Delighted to have managed to complete all 5 perscribed sessions. In fact I exercised 6 out of 7 days this week- walked the dog for 45 minutes 4 times this week as well as all my running. No injuries or niggles of concern to report.

Summary
    Total this week: 19.33 miles
    This month: 64.40 miles
    This year: 331.09 miles

Roll on week 2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Great racing yesterday and looks like you got a fantastic week of training under your belt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Disgusted that course was short - no excuse there as it is not their first time running it (excusing the pun!). Won't be putting that in the calendar for next year.

Having said that well done on a great time - as said yourself, sub 60 def in the legs so that's great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shazkea wrote: »
    Disgusted that course was short - no excuse there as it is not their first time running it (excusing the pun!). Won't be putting that in the calendar for next year.

Having said that well done on a great time - as said yourself, sub 60 def in the legs so that's great progress.

+1
    that is awful about the length of the course. I remember the disappointment of the 5 miler in the phoenix park last Summer - I thought I had a sub 40 in the bag :(. I feel your pain.
    But your attitude is great, best of luck at the next 10k. :)

DCM Training Week 2 - Run 1
    3.05 miles in 30 mins. Couldnt leave the house this evening so had to use the dreadmill. Had a headache all day so didnt feel up for it at all but after a few minutes I was grand and after 30 minutes I felt like I could have kept going forever. Feels like kind of a waste- getting changed,showering etc for such a short run. But its part of the programme and Im determined to stick to it.

• Advertisement

DCM Training Week 2 - Run 2
    So I messed around with McMillan a bit and have now decided that my PMP is 10:42 so these Wednesday runs will be ran at that pace from now on hopefully. Crazy weather out there today- melting hot with lovely sunshine one minute and lashing rain the next. Changed my route a little today which was nice. Tried out my new runners for first outside run today, weird feeling down the middle of both my feet but felt ok by end of mile 4.

5.43 miles in 57:21, 10:34 average pace. Apart from taking off a little too fast I think I did a good job of staying near the 10:42 planned pace.
    Mile 1: 10:16
    Mile 2: 10:39
    Mile 3: 10:43 (was off in a day-dream so the beep caught me out)
    Mile 4: 10:41
    Mile 5: 10:29
    Last little bit was ran at 10:35 ave pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on your great run at the weekend - such a pain about the course but that doesn't discount a brill performance! Best of luck with DCM training, we've a fun 3 months ahead of us!! :D

Week 2- Run 3
    3.3 miles in 33:56. First mile warm up in 10:54, Mile 2 was my first attempt at strides since last DCM training in 2009. I ran as fast as I thought I was able to go and counted to 20 in my head. I know Raycun has said to count to 15 but Im a slow coach so thought it would take me longer to do 100m. I caught my breath for a minute and did it again. In the end I managed my 5x100m without dying or injuring myself (I normally get a twinge or niggle if I really push the pace:mad:). Last mile was all about recovery so it took me 10:35.

Very happy with this session. I found the strides tough but in a twisted way I loved how tough I found it. I am tired of plodding around at easy and lsr pace, I really want to push myself so even though my legs felt like jelly by the 5th 100m I was happy. Also that mile took me 9:16 which is my second fastest mile in training ever!

Total miles in June: 76.18

So today marks the half way point in 2011. I think its a good time to look back on the goals I set at the start of the year and see how I'm going.

So on the 28th Dec I set the following goals:
    1. To stay injury free for the year - So far so good! I've had a few little niggles- shin pain and a weird arch pain in my left foot but nothing that has stopped me running or necessitated a trip to physio.
    2. To stop taking walking breaks in my run - Done!
    3. Try do 1 race per month - Yip- 6 races in 6 months so far (none in May though but 2 in June)
    4. Get out on the bike more - Fail - I havent gotten out on the bike once this year!! And I've only done 3 sessions on the stationary bike! Maybe over the summer:o
    5. To complete the Connemara Challenge - I kind of knew as I set that goal that it was very unlikely to happen and as the weeks went by I realised that it definitely was a no go. A trip to Vegas the week before and no one to do it with made me chicken out of that one.
    6. Run the Dublin Marathon - Im in Week 2 of training and excited about the next few months.

So all in all I think Im doing very well at meeting my goals, fingers crossed the second half of 2011 is just as successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bally8 wrote: »
    Week 2- Run 3
    3.3 miles in 33:56. First mile warm up in 10:54, Mile 2 was my first attempt at strides since last DCM training in 2009. I ran as fast as I thought I was able to go and counted to 20 in my head. I know Raycun has said to count to 15 but Im a slow coach so thought it would take me longer to do 100m.

As far as I know (but I'm no expert), it isn't really about the distance you cover in the strides, its about running a short enough distance that you can stay relaxed and keep breathing easily. 15-20 seconds isn't much of a difference, I know, but I wouldn't worry about reaching 100m if it's starting to feel uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

Friday 1st July -Rest Day
    Decided to make this a total rest day and not even walk the dog. Instead, as my OH was off today too, we ended up going out on the kayaks for the first time this year. I cant believe we left it so late to launch. We really should have been out in them months ago. Its great living so close to the lake and being able to get out on it so easily- it was heaven!

And also a great work out for my arms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Sounds lovely bally8 don't you just love rest days :)

DCM Training Week 2 Run 4
    9.07 mile lsr. I wasnt looking forward to this run. Had very little sleep last night as my throat was very sore and kept me awake a lot. It was 11.45 by the time I got out too so it was very hot. In the end it was a lovely run. I really enjoyed it. McMillan says I should be running my lsr at 11:12 to 12:12 pace so I really just trotted around trying my best ot keep it slow...no bother to me at all:D Im very good at slow!

I took a route I havent ran in over a year. I've been avoiding it because it has crazy hills and hills seem to injure me. Thing is most races have hills and they always take so much energy out of me so I reckoned its time I got some hill training in. There is this one incline about 3.5 miles in that is so steep I find it hard to drive up it let alone run, so I ran for about 20 seconds and walked up the rest. Its become a new aim of mine to be able to run up that hill without dying by the end of August.

Took me 1hr 45 mins in total with an average pace of 11:35. Happy with that. If I run all my long runs like that they will be very manageable. Im just afraid of not improving my speed if I keep plodding around the place. I suppose thats what my Wednesday runs will be for.

After lunch I went for a 4 mile walk with the OH and the doggie. My legs are tired now. Im off out tonigh with some friends, thing is I dont want to stay up late, drink or wear heels, would much prefer to wear my tracky bottoms as I'm being so good with my diet and I want to get out on the bike for crosstraining tomorrow and the kayak too, cant do that hungover. They are going to disown me!:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

[ If I run all my long runs like that they will be very manageable. Im just afraid of not improving my speed if I keep plodding around the place. I suppose thats what my Wednesday runs will be for.
    The long runs are about time on your feet more than anything else, so there's no harm in doing them slowly.

Totally jealous of you getting out on the kayak tomorrow, that sounds lovely! :D

Week 3 Day 1
    3.07 miles after work with my OH. Grand easy run 11:35 minute mile pace. McMillan recommends 11:12 - 11:42 pace so Im happy enough with the pace I was at. Nice and easy.

Week 3 - Day 2
    Was supposed to do this run yesterday but I have a horrible cold so was in no form for anything. Went to cinema to see Bridesmaids- loved it!

So today I decided to battle through the snotty nose and run even though it was lashing rain. Not sure if running in shorts and tshirt in the rain with a cold is a good idea. Anyway I did my 5 mile pace run which the plan says should be 10:52 minute mile pace. Legs were heavy but managed to run 5.15 miles in 55:19- 10:45 pace.

Today is a rest day because I have the Clarecastle 10k tomorrow morning. Thing is I'm just not interested in it. Cant motivate myself to get excited or pepped up for it. Not the best way to feel when I had planned on trying for my sub60 PB. I would actually love to go for a nice run this evening and just my normal lsr tomorrow instead. But then I dont know of another 10k near me to try get my main goal for this year- an official sub60 10k.

I also bought ingredients for muffins and intend to make them later. Im going through some crap in my personal life and as usual my response is to eat my way through it. Will see if I get up for the race in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Get an early night, go get your sub60 tomorrow. Then come home to make and eat muffins! :D

Good luck tomorrow!

Bally8 just go and treat it as a regular run. You have signed up for it go mingle with the crowds and have fun. Feck the PB but bet ya get it anyway ;)

Thanks for the support guys but I didnt do the race in the end. Too much happening at home and I couldnt get away for it. I didnt ran at all on Saturday. So two days no running and no chance to go out this morning. By 4pm today I was considering giving up running for good and taking up a faveourite sport of mine- sitting on couch all day!! However a big argument with my daughter was all the motivation I needed to throw on the gear and head out to cool off.

Its amazing how a run can put life in perspective and calm me down. I always make the mistake when things get stressful of stopping running. But when I run again I realise that maybe if I ran more often I wouldnt get so stressed about things!

So today was 7.2 mile lsr. Average pace was 11:38, well within the 11:12 - 12.12 range suggested by McMillian.

Week 3 Summary
    Missed out on one 3 mile easy run so total milage was 15.42 miles, 3 runs. Walked the dog 6 times this week for about 40 mins at a very fast pace- think that might count as my cross training :)

Next week the plan is to stick to the plan completely no matter what else is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Its amazing how a run can put life in perspective and calm me down. .

This is so true and the reason for most my good runs! lol

Well done at least you got out anyway!

ILOVERED wrote: »
    This is so true and the reason for most my good runs! lol

Well done at least you got out anyway!

+1
    It's difficult to keep motivated all the time but you're doing great. Pity you didn't get to do that 10k but there will be others and you will get that sub 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Best of luck with the training! Looks like it's all going well for you at the moment... Had a look back a couple of pages but didn't see what plan you are doing - is it HH Novice 2?

I'm back to the start and struggling a little, but two weeks of HH N2 down, one run missed (3 miler) and both long runs done so fingers crossed for Dublin!

xebec wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training! Looks like it's all going well for you at the moment... Had a look back a couple of pages but didn't see what plan you are doing - is it HH Novice 2?

I'm back to the start and struggling a little, but two weeks of HH N2 down, one run missed (3 miler) and both long runs done so fingers crossed for Dublin!

Yes xebec its HH Novice 2, sorry I probably should have made that a bit clearer:)

I've 3 weeks down, one 3 miler missed too but wouldnt worry about it at all. I started a week early because I have a tendancy to get injured so am allowing myself some space just in case. Best of luck with the training, its great to have people in the same boat, we can spur each other along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hiya missus, just checking in...well done on the training so far. You're getting some great miles in - long walks included! :)

you are doing great bally8. wouldnt worry about the missed run with all the walks you are doing.

Week 4 - Day 1
    Inspired by littlebug's decision to join a running group, I went along to the Nenagh Leisure Running Group this evening. I LOVED it!:D:D I run by myself nearly all the time and have always wanted to run with other people and tonight was the first step towards it.

I was nervous going as I had no idea what to expect and what level people would be at or if they would be nice. But there was no need. They were all lovely. Met two women at the start who actually live in my village and they welcomed me along. The session started with 2 laps of the track and then some warm ups which I really enjoyed. I was wrecked by the end of it though!

We then headed off for mile laps of the grounds of the CBS in little groups according to speed and I ended up running with a girl who lives up the road from me that I had never met before! In the end I met 6 women from Portroe who run regularly. We were joking that we will set up our own rival running group some time.

Really really enjoyed it. Cant believe I waited so long to join. Im definitely going back on Thursday.

3.34 miles in total average pace 11.20 (that included warm up and cool down laps) Fits perfectly into my marathon plan.

Did I mention that I loved it?:D:D

Well done on joining the club. It is so much nicer running with others. I nearly cracked up doing LSRs on my own.

Week 4 - Day 2 - Wed 13th July
    6.1 miles in 1:04:57. Wow it was hot out there. Great run though, a real confidence builder. I realised this morning that my PMP should be 10:42 not 10:52 as I have been running these last few weeks. So went out and tried running a little bit faster. 10:39 pace in the end. Felt like I would totally be able to do 20 more at that pace by October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:D I'm delighted you went along to the club. I knew you would love it!

Advertisement