Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thaw and possible flooding 26th-27th -- forecasts and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Raining steady here in D22 not torrential or anything ...I imagine rivers are fairly swollen with meltwater?The local river the oranmore in Co.Sligo was fairly full this morning...some heavy rain this belt..imagine if it was snow:D
    Still it was a timely thaw maybe a day or two late but anyways it got here!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

fog!!!:eek: havent seen this in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Very heavy rain for an hour or so until 9pm here. Radar seems to show this. I'm suprised there hasn't been more reports of flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Surprise surprise - raining in Clare :D

Mild though. +9C most of the day - holding up even now, temp reading outside +8.9C which is stunning. Ground's still like concrete though so the rain's pooling on the fields quite badly. Hoping some of it will soak away before the next freeze or else it''ll be "ponies on ice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I am for one thankful not like USA :D

Newark-002.jpg

Manhattan-006.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/27/blizzards-batter-us-east-coast

Roll on the thaw another year snow leave us alone and ice please go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Caseyann I want to thank you for the awesome pictures...but I just can't for your snow hating sentiments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Caseyann I want to thank you for the awesome pictures...but I just can't for your snow hating sentiments

Sorry,i do love the snow but its just been a nightmare for traveling anywhere for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The weather forum might appreciate this awesome video:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12084376

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

caseyann wrote: »
    Sorry,i do love the snow but its just been a nightmare for traveling anywhere for me.

Agreed 100%. I love snow, but unfortunately this country's time-proven record of sheer incompetence at dealing with it has spoiled it.

When there was fresh snow, our council (Fingal) gritted the roads. When it compacted into ice, it seemed that they didn't bother.

Snow needs to be ploughed/swept/melted AS SOON as it lands, or it will compact. Failure to do that one thing quickly is what led to all the chaos and the blame for that lies with the NRA and local authoirites. Heads should roll, tbh, there's no excuse for lack of preparedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

So glad it has gone now, it is a nightmare having to go out anywhere in it, so happy I looked out and no snow/ice left!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

sdonn wrote: »
    Snow needs to be ploughed/swept/melted AS SOON as it lands, or it will compact. Failure to do that one thing quickly is what led to all the chaos and the blame for that lies with the NRA and local authoirites. Heads should roll, tbh, there's no excuse for lack of preparedness.

How does that work in practice ?

The snow is being driven on and compacted by cars as soon as it lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

sdonn obviously thinks that the NRA or council should close the roads until the snowploughs or gritters have been through. Not really practical and will probably cause as much delay. A different story if people were prepared for the snow as well ie winter tyres / snow chains / auto socks / know how to drive in snow or icy conditions. / only travel if they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have friends from the States and Europe and according to them as soon as snow starts to fall the authorities are out clearing it,amazing how much fresh snow a standard roadsweeper can clear.In Ireland we waited until the snow was compacted into something akin to frozen concrete and then tried to clear it.
    An engineering firm near Enniscorthy actually built modified road sweepers and even fitted one to a quad-did an amazing job at snow clearing.But as usual in this country the councils/NRA decided to bide their time hoping the snow wouldn't be as bad as it was and we all saw the results of that.We wouldn't have needed half as much salt and effort if the manpower and machinery were out on the nations roads as soon as the snow started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I didn't have any problems driving through the city all last week so unless it was worse elsewhere I don't see the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

zerks wrote: »
    I have friends from the States and Europe and according to them as soon as snow starts to fall the authorities are out clearing it,amazing how much fresh snow a standard roadsweeper can clear.In Ireland we waited until the snow was compacted into something akin to frozen concrete and then tried to clear it.
    An engineering firm near Enniscorthy actually built modified road sweepers and even fitted one to a quad-did an amazing job at snow clearing.But as usual in this country the councils/NRA decided to bide their time hoping the snow wouldn't be as bad as it was and we all saw the results of that.We wouldn't have needed half as much salt and effort if the manpower and machinery were out on the nations roads as soon as the snow started.

Solution -> Move the states with your friends.

Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I didn't have any problems driving through the city all last week so unless it was worse elsewhere I don't see the problem!

Not everyone has a car, a lot depend on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well obviously it was worse other places....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

angel01 wrote: »
    Not everyone has a car, a lot depend on public transport.

Public transport was moving wuite well through most of the city. Obviously it'd be more of a problem elsewhere.

Public transport was moving wuite well through most of the city. Obviously it'd be more of a problem elsewhere.

Some people live quite a distance away from work, for instance, it takes me 2 hours on a normal day to get to work and back, I get a mix of buses and luas, I worry about getting from my home to work and back again and not getting stranded somewhere and not being able to get back home again.

When the snow/ice hits, it was taking me on average 4 hours or more to get home. I am delighted it has all gone and normality can resume again :)

Took me two or 3 hours to do a 40~60 minute journey. So can't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Which city are you talking about?

They closed a pile of roads and hills on my commute in the car. Which made it a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yep they were certainly trying hard out there. Last Tuesday i made a trip from here to Dundrum by dart and bus on the way out during some of the heaviest snow, everything ran as normal despite the roads being a mess the only trouble was being caused by the cars trying to drive in it and getting stuck but the driver did his best and still got there on time, then got the luas and bus home at about 22:30 and everything ran as normal again, was actually a bit faster than normal!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The main roads around here were alright last week, as was Gorey. Why?

Because as a previous a poster mentioned the roads/sidewalks were cleared as soon as the snow fell. They could have done the same with the first fall. Why didn't they?

Some secondary roads were better, a little, this time too. All it took was one pass of a snowplough.

It's been a learning process for all of us. I've learnt to drive in snow and to clear around my house earlier rather than later.

Let's hope the NRA, town and county councils have learnt enough to remember it for good.

They'll never admit they did nothing, hoping it would go away, as it normally would- but if they remember and do it better next time something good will have come of it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

VeVeX wrote: »

How do I "move the states"?:rolleyes:

No dwelling on the negatives here-simply stating facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Which city are you talking about?

If you looked a bit closer you'd see that they live in Dublin. No need trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I would hate the councils to spend a cent more than they do on the back of a 'one in a hundred' year that was 2010. Thats just lunacy. Would rather lower taxes or spent making the roads safer for the 99 years that it isnt like 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Compared to the last week it feels quiet mild out here in castleknock! Almost like a night in march/April!

One thing I'm intreged about, i constantly walk over the bridge at Clonsilla station where a river flows nearby, this river has been frozen solid since the first spell! How long do you reckon it could take before the ice thaws on these rivers and what would it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

You'll find ignoring them tends to have the same effect. Actually many may say an even worse effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You serious? He's not dewlling on the negative, he's being realistic. I work in a city centre shop and I can tell you for free that the takings year on year for the week of Christmas and the two days so far this week were probably about 50% of last year's. Nobody coulkd walk down Grafton Street, let alone get there in the first place ;)

Advertisement