Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thaw and possible flooding 26th-27th -- forecasts and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Atlantic is bulldozing through at a rate of knots. The latest models are showing that the cold air is even putting up less resistance than expected. The temperature is already hitting 4 degrees in my part of Louth.

Are there any reports coming from the midlands as to whether this is falling as freezing rain or sleet or just ordinarly rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

jimmynokia wrote: »
    so it looks like its all over now till next year no more snow

Next year is 6 days away ;)
    January is our Coldest month , Long way to go yet. :)
    I got snow in March Last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Looks like a very slow thaw here in Dublin 18, not a lot has melted. Surprised to see the snow still so deep and lots of snow covering hedges. It will probably be tomorrow before snow really starts dissappearing. There is just so kuch snow out there. Also very slow dripping outside, thought it would be s more dramatic thaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Thank god for this, hopefully the underground frozen water pipes coming into my home will thaw :rolleyes:,, Its Currently +7 degrees on my guage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Looks like a very slow thaw here in Dublin 18, not a lot has melted. Surprised to see the snow still so deep and lots of snow covering hedges. It will probably be tomorrow before snow really starts dissappearing. There is just so kuch snow out there. Also very slow dripping outside, thought it would be s more dramatic thaw

My part of D18 is thawing fast - snowman has collapsed;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Melt ya ****er melt!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Only a slight thaw going on here. The back garden and roof of car showing no real change as of yet. A bit surprised that it's not thawing out more quickly. Still love the snow though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Roof leaking. Downpipes and valleys have ice and the snow is melting faster than the ice. Water has nowhere to go and is pooled on the roof and coming through. Was up there with a few buckets of boiling water to get them clear. Still have a frozen pipe too and one that burst on Christmas eve that I can't get a replacement for until tomorrow as even Homebase isn't open.

Great fun
    Happy thaw my a$$
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Thurles, Tipperary.

Current weather.
    Thaw has really set in temperature is 6c and all frost and ice has evaporated.

Very strange experience. At 01.15 hrs the pipes in my neighbours house burst and his house was flooded. Temperature was -8 celsius when this happened.
    Thaw didn't arrive quickly enough for him sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Raining in Athlone, don't know the temp . Water not back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

The Atlantic is bulldozing through at a rate of knots. The latest models are showing that the cold air is even putting up less resistance than expected. The temperature is already hitting 4 degrees in my part of Louth.

Are there any reports coming from the midlands as to whether this is falling as freezing rain or sleet or just ordinarly rain?

falling as ordinary rain here in longford...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Weird. It felt warmer here in Mayo at 9am than it does now. Around 2c. Waiting patiently for the pipes to defrost or burst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hey who stole my snow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Anyone know temp in Newtown/Kilcoole area?

Green patches showing through in the garden now, snow gone from cars and roofs.

The birds are singing like crazy out there! Guess they're happy too that the snow is finally leaving us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

+5C in East Clare - raining and I've got my water back !!!!

Washing machine thawed out and is now on overtime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Complete thaw in South Kerry, very windy and raining, temperature about 7 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

not one bit surprised, even the great winter of 81-2 fizzled out in a pathetic fashion, we can expect a long period of anticyclonic gloom now as our climate gets back to dismal tedious normality. Hard to believe some people actually prefer this depressing nothing weather to the recent blue skies and crunchy snow - dull weather for dull people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Falling as rain in Westport, amounts a bit less than i had hoped. Still lots of white stuff on the ground. Water supply frozen since christmas eve. I wonder will it come back while there's still snow on the ground. We're contemplating taking the shildren to Granny's for a hose down. If we sit it out how long will we be smelly?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

annieee wrote: »
    Anyone know temp in Newtown/Kilcoole area?

Green patches showing through in the garden now, snow gone from cars and roofs.

The birds are singing like crazy out there! Guess they're happy too that the snow is finally leaving us. :D

Says 6c in Greystones on my desktop weather thingy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

not one bit surprised, even the great winter of 81-2 fizzled out in a pathetic fashion, we can expect a long period of anticyclonic gloom now as our climate gets back to dismal tedious normality. Hard to believe some people actually prefer this depressing nothing weather to the recent blue skies and crunchy snow - dull weather for dull people!

I love a bit of snow and the beautiful crisp mornings as much as the next person, but by God it was nice to get into fifth gear today in the car for the first time in a month! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Good to see Jack Frost and Frosty the snowman are suffering horrible deaths today.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I love a bit of snow and the beautiful crisp mornings as much as the next person, but by God it was nice to get into fifth gear today in the car for the first time in a month! :)
    Fair enough but I actually enjoyed all the walking I did during the cold spell, more than I normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Fair enough but I actually enjoyed all the walking I did during the cold spell, more than I normally do.

I did a lot less running that I usually do. Afraid I'd break a leg. Wind and rain I do not mind, ice is another matter. :D

Irish people just don't get it! The problem is not wintry weather but our inability to cope with wintry weather. A runway can be cleared of snow in twenty minutes in Stockholm, we have to shut the airport down. As for burst/frozen pipes - I think that has something to do with insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

its not like that. i love the snow and it looks and feels great. its just our infrastructure collapses. i need to get to work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Is there a problem with the radar?? Its showing as rain for me and a lot of others but its still dry here in Waterford anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Poor building standards and insulation. We're all on summer tyres and they don't clear the roads. We're just not prepared for the cold. Wasn't that much snow really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Irish people just don't get it! The problem is not wintry weather but our inability to cope with wintry weather. A runway can be cleared of snow in twenty minutes in Stockholm, we have to shut the airport down. As for burst/frozen pipes - I think that has something to do with insulation.

You should move to sweden,

Huge leak in our roof.:( Water is pi**ing in through bedroom ceiling. Damn thaw :)

• Advertisement

Is there a problem with the radar?? Its showing as rain for me and a lot of others but its still dry here in Waterford anyway :confused:

The radar can't see around the curvature of the earth, by the time the RF reaches Waterford, it's about 1km up and seeing the clouds. It does the same for Athlone as well.

Advertisement