Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thaw and possible flooding 26th-27th -- forecasts and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

So doesnt that nonsense the 'permafreeze' bull that some come out with. Normally heard as criticism of people who have sunk their water pipes down a metre or so to avoid frost, only to be knocked by others who say theyve now put their pipes down into the permafreeze layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The idea of permafrost has come up here. This is completely irrelevant in Ireland. It can only arise where the annual average temperature is below zero! We've had a cold week, not an ice age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

If anyone saw me raking the snow on the ground between the well and the house today id have been taken away by the lads with the white coats, it worked though, all that area has thawed out so the ground under has a better chance of warming up and giving me back my water supply
    Going to dig around that pipe in a few weeks, insulate the alkathene with Armaflex and place an 18" wide slab of insulation 2" thick over the supply pipe before throwing back the soil, some plumbers have a lot to answer for over the years, my 3/4" copper pipe in the dormer space burst today, no insulation of course

+5.1c now
    Highest today +6.4c@13.30
    Lowest last night -4.9
    Good news is that the temperature is about 9 degrees higher than it was 24 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ardmacha wrote: »
    The idea of permafrost has come up here. This is completely irrelevant in Ireland. It can only arise where the annual average temperature is below zero! We've had a cold week, not an ice age.

I'll start getting worried when I can walk to Wales on dry land ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

bogman wrote: »
    +5.1c now
    Highest today +6.4c@13.30
    Lowest last night -4.9
    Good news is that the temperature is about 9 degrees higher than it was 24 hours ago
    Where you getting these temperature ?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Feels 'warmer' tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Warm enough here in my massive twice-a-year-coat, judging from irelandsweather.com the warm front is just moving up from the SW now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Major thaw on in Cork City - +5 degrees and all you can hear outside is the sound of dripping water from the melt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It's hit Co. Laois - MUCH warmer - but look at the radar - big bank of wet headed in from the west, at a fair pace too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

A balmy 2 degrees in North Kildare right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Nice and mild here i this morning about 6c but dry and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

boiling here this morning, after adjusting the heating for the cold spell and having the temp jump so much overnight, the poor kids were like rashers in the beds this morning!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the first morning i didnt have to defrost the milking machine in ages , now for the drinkers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Car not frosted over for first time in 11 days. No precipitation here yet.

Edit: maybe I am in the Rockall shadow ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

There has been a thaw overnight here in North West Cork. A good bit of the snow has disappeared and it's currently wet and windy and seems very mild this morning. Hopefully now my mains will thaw as well today and our house can start getting back to normal again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

yip thaw has started here in Kildare too. Thats looks like a substantial rain front coming in from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Strong thaw here, I eat my words...

Road State Temp
    Road Surface 1°C 5cm Depth0°C 30cm Depth-2°C
    Was
    -5, -5, -5 yesterday, overnight we have pretty much thawed to 30cm depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The front seems to be very slow moving, on the radar it's almost over me but if I look at the met.ie 3 hour it still isn't over me?
    Slight thaw on here and increasing gusts.

Its arrived and it's not freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

thaw here in cork, all the snow is vanishing. looks still icy though:(

The "iceberg" that I've been taking to and from Dublin for the past few weeks has finally parted company with the car this morning. Athlone has gone from -9 to +3 since midnings. Phew what a scorcher. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Firhouse is dry and clear with a temp of 2.4C up from -5 last night.

Significant thawing already underway as a lot of snow cover reduced

Lots of thawing yesterday - as the water dripped off the roof our green bin is now covered in icicles!!!

Hope everyone had a lovely day yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Is it raining in the Southwest yet?

anyone on from down that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wiblick

thawing in Palmerstown, Dublin. Lots of shifting snow and dripping icicles, don't know the exact temp, just glad it's here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

No precipitation here yet but should be in minutes according to radar. Really slow moving.

theres a good lot of rain coming soon according to met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm in Kilkenny city. It's very dark out there. The sky is filled with dark grey, ominous looking clouds which seem to be moving quite fast but no wind down here on the ground, just a gentle breeze. No rain yet, but a bit of a thaw. Snow seems to be melting gradually and overnight green patches have appeared on the grass. The downpipe flow is steady but no discernible drip drip from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So Met eireann last night said Blizzards for Donegal, but the bbc chart and MT say it will be just inland Ulster that gets the snow, not looking good! :(
    Ah well bring on the rain.

it's still christmas :D bring on the usual christmas storm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All the white stuff has gone, dark skies, a increasingly gusty wind.

I'm happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got up to 0.0c around 2.30am, but fell back below until 3.30am when +0.1c was recorded, thus bringing an end to a sub-zero run that began on the afternoon of December 19th, so "almost" a complete week of sub-zero.

Currently 3.5c and a thaw underway, still 2cm of snow lying. Overcast and breezy making it feel milder than of late.

Advertisement