Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thaw and possible flooding 26th-27th -- forecasts and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow almost gone now, we only got about 4 inchs this time around compared to a foot of snow the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I'm drunk. WhT snow????9

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Horrible, horrible, horrible night here - really heavy rain making a huge dent in the snowcover now - massive thaw underway - very depressing end to the cold spell, but very quick which is good I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

all snow gone here, weird seeing green everywhere. all thats left is the snow that slid of my car and a snowman. 8c here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

A massive thaw is on the way here and seems to be happening quickly which is great, hoping by Wednesday, I can get back to work okay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

theres more rain coming from the south and it looks heavy, i see pink and red:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Or you could say people will now get to work without difficulty, those on mountains can get to the shops easily or people can walk on footpaths without harming themselves.
    I don't doubt for one minute that people did suffer hardship but the fact that Ireland is probably the most car dependent country in the world (after the USA) didn't help. Dublin Airport is an example- people who's flights were cancelled couldn't even get out of the airport because there's no rail link which is standard in any normal European capital city. Now come on! When you look at the state of the country, did anyone really expect the authorities to deal with the severe weather in an efficient manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Dublin Airport is an example- people who's flights were cancelled couldn't even get out of the airport because there's no rail link which is standard in any normal European capital city.

Visitors must arrive in Dublin esp in times like the last week and wonder where the hell is the rail link. Should have been built years ago and now we cannot really afford it. In fairness to Dublin Airport 'bigger' airports in other countries were even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Imagine if that was snow...

Web_radar.gif

No thanks!

would love if that was snow :p:o

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    would love if that was snow :p:o

Im confoooosed by your name then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

all snow gone here, weird seeing green everywhere

Haha, thats what I thought when I got up this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

the fact that Ireland is probably the most car dependent country in the world (after the USA) didn't help
    Please don't spout unfounded rubbish.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Please don't spout unfounded rubbish.

I have to agree with the OP. Car dependency is massive here due to the transport system.

Did you say sprouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP. Car dependency is massive here due to the transport system.
    Agreed, but I doubt the ranking worldwide.

Along the east coast in the greater Dublin region, where the vast majority of the population live there is good non car related transport.

Along the east coast in the greater Dublin region, where the vast majority of the population live there is good non car related transport.

Just look at the N11 everyday from Greystones to Cherrywood, bumper to bumper all with one person in them. The need to really move on with extending the LUAS or putting on far more trains on the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Just look at the N11 everyday from Greystones to Cherrywood, bumper to bumper all with one person in them. The need to really move on with extending the LUAS or putting on far more trains on the DART.

But look what happens when it was snowing last week - there were very few driving around the city - they'd obviously found an alternate means of transport, if they could, when they had to!

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    But look what happens when it was snowing last week - there were very few driving around the city - they'd obviously found an alternate means of transport, if they could, when they had to!

Thats the point mate. Transport was only used when you had to. The OP was talking about 99% of the year not during a snowstorm. And i would say they most didnt bother going out at all. Anyhooo... we all have opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Well, is this a fast thaw or what? People were posting about their snow all being gone yesterday and I was looking out the window in D13 at a good three or four inches of snow and thinking 'yeah, right, thaw'. Then I woke up this morning and there's nothing left but some dirty piles of ice and some slush on the road! Personally, I'm rather happy it's finally arrived, although the last couple of days were really rather pretty. It's nice to be able to walk around and not have to watch your footing like a hawk all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Anybody here from the South West under the big blob of red??? Must be extremely heavy rain there.

Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

In certain parts of the city, going in particular directions only. How much transport infrastructure goes from Tallaght to the city centre ? Every time they think up something new, they just put it along existing transport corridors (like Tallaght - city centre). So some parts of the city end up with just an overcrowded and unreliable bus service requiring to wait in the pouring rain for 20 minutes plus for a bus that just drives straight past cos its full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Anybody here from the South West under the big blob of red??? Must be extremely heavy rain there.

Web_radar.gif

Yeah I am. For the last hour or so it has been absolutely lashing rain.:( Somebody please bring back the cold clear sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

has there been any flooding yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

At least it won't get to Dublin.

county man wrote: »
    Yeah I am. For the last hour or so it has been absolutely lashing rain.:( Somebody please bring back the cold clear sunny weather.

i agree. dont like the rain. prefer the cold to be honest without the ice and the snow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

So happy that the thaw is working so fast, that is the bit I hate most about snowy weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i agree. dont like the rain. prefer the cold to be honest without the ice and the snow :o

its still weather though !

note we are in the weather forum

cant wait for that rain to test my new weather station

i know that:o but after days of white fields and gardens it looks all dark and dreary. although do love the wind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

i know that:o but after days of white fields and gardens it looks all dark and dreary. although do love the wind

You getting very heavy rain there yet Sunbabe?

• Advertisement

You getting very heavy rain there yet Sunbabe?

not really, it's quiet actually.

Advertisement