Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thaw and possible flooding 26th-27th -- forecasts and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

A hell of a lot of snow to get rid of around here (D15) and its the thaw out that I hate most, makes it so hard to walk around in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The thick snow that has been in the garden here in Cork since it snowed is thawing rapidly. The road outside the house is still white though, although further up the road I can see actual road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Very rapid thaw here in Cork.

Snow was still there at 8am, all gone now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

No snow visible front or back of house, 6c, pipe from well to house still frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

virtually no snow left here now but roads in my estate are now a combination of ice and ponds of water. As my estate is all hills its vgonna be fun to drive on. Not raining yet but hopefully when it does it'll get rid of the ice.

More generally, I know the east and north got serious snow this past month but as a microcosm of the year that was 2010 look at the performance of the snow desert that is Cork:-

2005 - No snow in Cork
    2006 - No snow in Cork
    2007 - No snow in Cork
    2008 - No snow in Cork
    2009 - No snow in Cork
    2010 - Large snow falls in Jan and Dec, other minor falls in Jan, November and Dec. Snow lying in pristine condition for about 11 days all told. Partial snow on about 20 days.

I know my 2010 stats are about the least impressive in the country but that's a vintage year down here that I might never see bettered in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

rain now here :( Nothing really heavy.. just spitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Don't forget your sunscreen! :D

Cork last days, more accurately 5 miles west of the city

164740_1656036995498_1074276521_1792547_3634792_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

hey bogman where did you get that data??

green pastures in east clare, the ice has literally vanished!!..taught it would linger for a few days but no its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Still lots of snow lying on the ground here in Dublin but have been listening to huge chunks of snow/ice sliding off my roof and crashing to the ground all morning!

Also, loads of water pouring down off the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    rain now here :( Nothing really heavy.. just spitting.
    same here just a slight drizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Kinda looking forward to it shifting myself, very hard to get around in.

Was driving last night with 5 people in the car. My car is low already and with 5 people it was very low.

A lot of cringe worthy moments when I could hear the bottom of it crunching on the ice :/

fryup wrote: »

hey bogman where did you get that data??

Weather station (WH-1090) not professional but temp always within .2 of a degree of the Airport until yesterday when there was a good difference, its far more exposed to the N/E up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mike65 wrote: »
    All the white stuff has gone, dark skies, a increasingly gusty wind.

I'm happy :)

Water back?

Thanks to the Greenland Express and Paddy power I now have an extra 150 euro to cope with the thaw :D
    Bets paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The thaw is underway, I suppose all good thing come to an end. If anybody told me that by the 26th of December I would have 30 consecutive days of snow lying in my garden I would have asked them to see a doctor.

Funny thing is that the snow that fell on the 27th of November may be the last to melt as its very compact at this stage after its fall from the roof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

No frost or ice left in Waterford City,no rain yet, temp is 7.2c but the wind has really picked up in the last hour, currently average is 26km/h with gusts of over 44km/h from a southerly direction. Should be an interesting day with plenty of high gusts later :)

Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

in 2 hours all the white has vanished back to our gorgeous greenery!yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

homolumo wrote: »
    Water back?

Give it a chance! :D I'm not expecting water for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Temperature is up considerably in Dublin 6 and the sky is pretty overcast. There is so much snow though it really is incredible and it is hard to imagine it thawing. It obviously will but it will take an absolute age to go.

• Advertisement

No frost or ice left in Waterford City,no rain yet, temp is 7.2c but the wind has really picked up in the last hour, currently average is 26km/h with gusts of over 44km/h from a southerly direction. Should be an interesting day with plenty of high gusts later :)

Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com
    That was a quick thaw, uggh 7c i hate the thought of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I just want my water back in the attic. I daren't leave the house in case of burst pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Vudgie wrote: »
    Temperature is up considerably in Dublin 6 and the sky is pretty overcast. There is so much snow though it really is incredible and it is hard to imagine it thawing. It obviously will but it will take an absolute age to go.

With rain and wind, it could be gone in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

ah it'll be great to see some green grass again and i hope the atlantc express keeps things relatively mild til after new years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

ground temperatures are what may cause the harm now with regards plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I haven't looked out the window yet but I can hear it out there, sounds like total carnage, grey skies, dying snowmen...its just too awful...my pipes weren't frozen, my heating still worked, and it all looked so Christmassy...I don't want it to thaw!

Oh well at least i live in Scotland 10 months of the year, winter doesn't end there until April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks to the Greenland Express and Paddy power I now have an extra 150 euro to cope with the thaw :D
    Bets paid out.

I am giving most of mine back to PP but a few bets on St. Stephens Day are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

you wont be betting on much today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Pangea wrote: »
    Bets paid out.

All I could get was -4 to -6 :mad:

A bit pissed now tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

so it looks like its all over now till next year no more snow

note
    if you have then icicles hanging from your roof get them down
    i knocked a few of with a brush and they dropped like lumps of steel bar
    they wer about 2 -3ft long and the noise of them hitting the deck
    they would hurt ya

Advertisement