Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Went and saw 50/50 last night. It had me in tears by the end. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Million Dollar Baby had me crying, and it only got worse with the translation of "Mo Cuishle"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

I know it's Steve Martin but....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Tiny Dancer sequence in Almost Famous cracks me up every time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The scene in Boyz in the Hood where Ricky gets shot always brings me close to tears..I think because I remember the effect it had on me the first time I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

It was said before, but Tears of the Sun gets me. Great movie and some manly heart wrenching scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

La haine (1995 French classic)
    When Vinz was shot at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This might sound a little strange but lots of 'feel good' movies make me cry. Not as in break down balling my head off but as in seriously welled up. You know the typical American movie where someone is trying, has a little success, fails miserably, is now at the bottom of the heap, apparently beyond the point of return, tries again then in a smack, bang, wallop crescendo succeeds beyond their wildest dreams?

Yep, those kinda movies make me cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    This might sound a little strange but lots of 'feel good' movies make me cry. Not as in break down balling my head off but as in seriously welled up. You know the typical American movie where someone is trying, has a little success, fails miserably, is now at the bottom of the heap, apparently beyond the point of return, tries again then in a smack, bang, wallop crescendo succeeds beyond their wildest dreams?

Yep, those kinda movies make me cry!

"The Pursuit of Happyness" ?

You kinda just described the plot of that film :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

swiftblade wrote: »
    "The Pursuit of Happyness" ?

You kinda just described the plot of that film :p

Never seen it - it can be used to describe a lot of American movies.

Last one it happened with for me was The Perfect Catch which I saw on a plane back from the states. Not a great movie at all but the moment at the end where she runs across the pitch to stop him selling his season tickets had me in tears. Silly I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"Schindlers List"

Towards the end when
    Liam Neeson breaks down when he realises he could have saved so much more people.
    Heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Dear Zachary is a Documentary film made by a man bout his life-long best friend who was murdered. I will not saying anything else about it lest I spoil it for those who have not seen it.

I challenge any man to watch that movie, giving it his full attention, without crying...
    ... You will not succeed in watching it without tearing up.

Dear Zachary
    has the same effect on you mentally that chopping up fresh onions can have on you physically.

This wins. The end was like a kick in the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

From about 2.50 onwards got me the first time I saw it.

Now it's just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

Brian's song done it for me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just finished watching Milk. There are several scenes that would have you in tears, but none moreso than the ending. The scenes
    where the eponymous Harvey Milk speaks to a young gay man over the phone and counsels him, and then later when the same young man (who had been considering suicide and we were led to believe he would go through with it) calls Milk back to tell him how happy he is that Milk has been so successful is
    is very poignant.

Also, when Milk finds
    his boyfriend Jack Luna hanging from the ceiling and the subsequent guilt Milk feels
    is very upsetting.

But nothing compares to the ending with the
    deaths of Harvey Milk and the liberal Mayor George Moscone. It appears that nobody cares and the small memorial service in City Hall is poorly attended. Then, when two of Milk's friends walk outside, the streets are lined with thousands of people carrying candles, to honour the memory of the man who gave so much to further human rights. Powerful and moving scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Perfect Storm did it for me one time I remember, few films have had me well up, the odd time shed a tear, none come to mind right now

One that does is not a film, was in the TV show Scrubs, when they are attending
    Jordans brother Bens funeral, the emotion on Dr. Cox face, how much it hurts him, the acting was brilliant for me and the bastard gets me every single time I watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I didn't really cry but when I watch 'Senna'.

Radio Call:"Ratzenberger...?"

*no answer*

Radio Call:"Ratzenberger...?"

*no answer*

Please answer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

The Perfect Storm, Pursuit of Happyness and of course:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the last scene of Dancer in the Dark had me in a 'delicate' state:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

If you have a son then "The Road " (film and book) will reduce you to a big girls blouse!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Children Of Men - the scene in the refugee camp where the fighting stops when they realise there's a baby in the midst of it had me welling up. A really gritty movie as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic.

In keeping with my getting emotional over weird things:

Argo

The tension has been ratcheted to almost unbearable levels as Mendez/Harkin and his six "Canadians" have been detained at the airport by the Iranian Republican Guard.
    However, they finally are allowed to board their plane to escape. Following this, there is a dramatic chase across the tarmac of the airport as the Iranians finally figure it out that the six "Canadians" are in actuality the six missing US Embassy officials.

The moment that the plane leaves the ground, relief washes over you. But as Bryan Cranston's character points out with his worried call of "Wait..." just as his colleagues prepare to celebrate, it's not over yet. The plane is still in Iranian airspace and could yet be intercepted.

After a few tense moments, the air hostess announces that alcoholic beverages may now be served as they have left Iranian airspace.

Watching the scenes as the six escapees, the CIA officials and the Hollywood connections all celebrate with "They're out!" or "We got 'em out!"

I couldn't help but get misty eyed and shed a few tears at this. I think it was more relief than anything; the tension in those final few scenes is absolutely unbelievable. Of course, my friends found it highly amusing to be crying over a historical/drama/thriller. But I think they just don't have souls. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's hollywood pulling at tear strings. Haven't seen the movie, but watched a documentary on it. The biggest thing, was getting'em through passport control, more so than the detail's you've got spoilered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Gallipoli - only saw it once, but I blubbered like a child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Cast Away

... something about that scene at the very end before the credits roll, the look on Tom Hank's face ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

brno wrote: »
    If you have a son then "The Road " (film and book) will reduce you to a big girls blouse!!!
    Very true.
    I tend to find I have something in my eye watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Life Is Beautiful.

I'm a bit teary anyway but it's usually a gradual build-up -starts with lump in throat, then eyes start to water, then one little tear slips out, then lots of silent tears and a snotty nose.

But, after THAT scene in Life is Beautiful - I literally burst into a protracted fit of loud bawling. Wasn't the better of it for days afterwards. Amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

donal_cam wrote: »
    'Come and See'... a Russian film about the Partisan War in Belarus during WW2...the church burning scene when the SS massacred a village by locking them in a burning building made me shed a tear or two...shocking stuff...reminded me of the time I visited Auschwitz and the gas chambers.

My God, that is probably the most harrowing film I've ever seen. Didin't make me cry, but Jesus it was tough to watch. The kid that plays the lead is incredible, you can see him visibly age through the film. I got it on DVD a few years ago and have never been able to watch it again.

Anyway... Most of the films mentioned here wouldn't have made me cry - end of Dead Poets Society, ET, excepted. Haven't read the whole thread but has no-one mentioned It's Wonderful Life ? (edit - just seen, a couple of people did) even thinking about the ending to that almost has me blubbing. Also, a lovely little French film called The Chorus, or Les Choristes, about a boys choir in a reform home just after the war. Understated and beautiful, and the singing is hairs standing up on the back of the neck time. Not sure if i cried, but pretty sure I came close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not really one for crying, but seriously struggled with these:

Jack and Sarah
    Pay it Forward*
    Backdraft - I know, but "that's my bother god-dammit" gets me every time.
    Green Mile - Particularly when Tom Hanks tells the other guard to pull himself together.
    Million Dollar Baby
    The life of David Gale

I am sure there are others, but that is all I can think of right now.

MrP

*I watched this movie with my heavily pregnant GF. Straight after the movie I had to go out to work. She was crying when I left. I came back about 4 hours later to find the GF in bed crying. I ask hers what was wrong, Her response was "that fcuking movie." She actually had not stopped crying the entire time. I think it was a mixture of the movie, which is pretty sad, and raging hormones.

Advertisement