Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    On another note, I'm extremely disappointed that Bethesda have discontinued DLC for Skyrim in order to pursue the pipe dream of reinventing an iconic franchise.
    They have the rights to the Fallout franchise now. That they're going to continue on making new games in it is just a given. They'll get accusations of cash cow on it in some quarters, sure, but they'd get the very same thing if they did as you are suggesting and kept going with Skyrim DLC.
    Morrowind also got a lot of DLC as far as I'm aware but I've only played that game for an hour. Never really got into it.
    It got two nice sized expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

They have the rights to the Fallout franchise now. That they're going to continue on making new games in it is just a given. They'll get accusations of cash cow on it in some quarters, sure, but they'd get the very same thing if they did as you are suggesting and kept going with Skyrim DLC.

I enjoy the prospect of a Fallout 4 if I'm totally honest.

Morrowind got Bloodmoon and Tribunal, both of which added new territories, enemies, features and long questlines.

What did you mean by "to pursue the pipe dream of reinventing an iconic franchise" then? I figured you must mean Fallout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Making the ES:MMO probably.

Making the ES:MMO probably.
    Oh, right. Didn't think of that. I'd assume that's another team, though, and they have a primary focus on Fallout 4, most likely.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What did you mean by "to pursue the pipe dream of reinventing an iconic franchise" then? I figured you must mean Fallout.

The Wolfenstein franchise.

The Wolfenstein franchise.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to stop working on Skyrim. They're publishers, not developers on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So I bought Skyrim on release a long time ago, however, I just never got into it because I was playing another game at the time. Anyway, since I have little time for gaming anymore I decided to get back into the game because I'm a huge fan of the genre and you can play the game your own way, at your own pace, etc.

I just want to take this moment to say how unbelievably good this game is. Like, on release I didn't like it at all -- I couldn't believe all the praise it was getting etc. Now, however, I can see where it all comes from.

Just some of things you need to consider about this game (compared to any other game on the market)
    1. Graphics - the game is visually stunning
    2. Never played a game with a world as large as this one
    3. DRAGONS -- There are f*cking dragons EVERYWHERE!111
    4. Mods - The Skyrim (ES) community is immense. Incredible respect for some of those guys.
    5. Diversity - the word explains itself.

6. Longetivity - I suppose it could be included with diversity, but one of the things I look for in an RPG is longetivity and the ability to keep bringing me back. Skyrim delivers in every single aspect.

Okay, so moving on I'd like to talk about each of the points a bit. With regards to the graphics - the game in Vanilla is nothing short of spectacular. With mods the game is absolutely mind-blowing. I know there are hundreds of mods out there that affect the UI and graphics but I only have a couple and I get immersed in game all the time. I literally find myself running around when suddenly I press "F" and randomly find myself spinning around my character looking at everything. Bethesda did well, but the mod community are just incredible.

Pretty rare to play a game where dragons really feel like dragons. I love reading fantasy and have always had a special place in my heart for dragons. This game, really fits the bill for dragons. Yeah, they're probably harder with mods (or so I've heard) but it's not about how "strong" they should be. For me, it's just about seeing them, fighting them and looking for the next one.

Mods. I'm pretty nooby at this kind of stuff. Truth be told, I don't like modifications much (was the same in WoW). Here's a screen of my mods (not many) but they really do make a huge difference to the game (provided your system can handle it of course). I just, kind of, picked ones I felt I wanted. Populating cities was awesome because I never really got that epic feeling walking through cities - now I do. I seen mods that added houses that were fully equipped and sh*t or changed the starting area completely. I'm not into that stuff I want the game as it's meant to be played, looking beautiful and adding a few tweaks to little things that make it that little bit more enjoyable.

2zibswh.jpg

I guess this game would be pretty faceroll if you simply had a sick sword and a shield and lol stomp'd through the game. Of course, I could be wrong. This time round I kind of set about playing the game a little differently. I made "mini-rules" for myself to add a bit of diversity. Firstly, I downloaded a mod which added more weapons and Armor to the game (because who doesn't want that?!). Secondly, I've decided to play with only 2x Dagger and a Bow. It's a really fun playstyle and I enjoy it a lot (although Followers can ruin it a lot!). Obviously, I'm playing a sneak type of style so my Armor is Light-based.

The game just keeps bringing me back. I could be exhausted coming home in the evening but I still just want to log in for 5 minutes, craft some Armor, help some poor girl in trouble or explore a dungeon. There's soooooooooo much to do it's really breath-taking.

I guess I've kind of said what I think of the game right now and how, now that I've given it some game time, it really is worth of all the priase. I have a few questions for you more experienced and hardcore Skyrim fans.

As you can see, I'm really new. I'm currently a level 18 Nord who, I think, just became infected with that Vampire sh*t (again adding a cool level of diversity to the game!). I'm currently sitting in mostly Elven Armor and have 2x Elven Daggers and an Elven Bow equipped. I've done a bit of the Main Quest (I visited the Greaybeards and now they want me to retrieve something but I'm gonna do all that later!). I just completed the first part of the Companions Questline where I found out
    the Circle are Werewolves!!!
    . So that's literally where I am right now. My Sneak is ~55, Smithing ~40, One-Handed + Light Armor ~55 and Lockpick ~45.

Are there any other mods other than the ones I've shown above that I might enjoy that won't change the game drastically? I've gone through the top 100 files on skyrimnexus and these were the ones that appealed to me.

With regards to questing, should I continue doing many sidequests/guilds/etc before completing the game?

With regards to DLC: 1) Is it worth it? 2) If it is worth it, should I get it after I've completed the main storyline?

Guess that's it =)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Oh, right. Didn't think of that. I'd assume that's another team, though, and they have a primary focus on Fallout 4, most likely.

They are really only publishers on the MMO as well as that has nothing to do with BGS either, Zenmax online studio are developing that one.

marco_polo wrote: »
    They are really only publishers on the MMO as well as that has nothing to do with BGS either, Zenmax online studio are developing that one.
    Ah, right. Didn't know that. I don't really follow MMOs so if I ever say anything on them, I'm wrong, or right by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Are there any other mods other than the ones I've shown above that I might enjoy that won't change the game drastically? I've gone through the top 100 files on skyrimnexus and these were the ones that appealed to me.

A great one on top of Cloaks of Skyrim is Winter Is Coming.

Adds in some fantastic big cloaks to your character. Perfect if you ever feel like taking up a Heavy Armor type character, imo they suit it better than Light Armor types.

I just got f*cking owned 3 times in a row by Krev the Skinner and ragequit : (((
    Even if I'm not in werewolf form do silver weapons do extra damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I bought Skyrim on release a long time ago, however, I just never got into it because I was playing another game at the time. Anyway, since I have little time for gaming anymore I decided to get back into the game because I'm a huge fan of the genre and you can play the game your own way, at your own pace, etc.

I just want to take this moment to say how unbelievably good this game is. Like, on release I didn't like it at all -- I couldn't believe all the praise it was getting etc. Now, however, I can see where it all comes from.

Just some of things you need to consider about this game (compared to any other game on the market)
    1. Graphics - the game is visually stunning
    2. Never played a game with a world as large as this one
    3. DRAGONS -- There are f*cking dragons EVERYWHERE!111
    4. Mods - The Skyrim (ES) community is immense. Incredible respect for some of those guys.
    5. Diversity - the word explains itself.

6. Longetivity - I suppose it could be included with diversity, but one of the things I look for in an RPG is longetivity and the ability to keep bringing me back. Skyrim delivers in every single aspect.

Okay, so moving on I'd like to talk about each of the points a bit. With regards to the graphics - the game in Vanilla is nothing short of spectacular. With mods the game is absolutely mind-blowing. I know there are hundreds of mods out there that affect the UI and graphics but I only have a couple and I get immersed in game all the time. I literally find myself running around when suddenly I press "F" and randomly find myself spinning around my character looking at everything. Bethesda did well, but the mod community are just incredible.

Pretty rare to play a game where dragons really feel like dragons. I love reading fantasy and have always had a special place in my heart for dragons. This game, really fits the bill for dragons. Yeah, they're probably harder with mods (or so I've heard) but it's not about how "strong" they should be. For me, it's just about seeing them, fighting them and looking for the next one.

Mods. I'm pretty nooby at this kind of stuff. Truth be told, I don't like modifications much (was the same in WoW). Here's a screen of my mods (not many) but they really do make a huge difference to the game (provided your system can handle it of course). I just, kind of, picked ones I felt I wanted. Populating cities was awesome because I never really got that epic feeling walking through cities - now I do. I seen mods that added houses that were fully equipped and sh*t or changed the starting area completely. I'm not into that stuff I want the game as it's meant to be played, looking beautiful and adding a few tweaks to little things that make it that little bit more enjoyable.

2zibswh.jpg

I guess this game would be pretty faceroll if you simply had a sick sword and a shield and lol stomp'd through the game. Of course, I could be wrong. This time round I kind of set about playing the game a little differently. I made "mini-rules" for myself to add a bit of diversity. Firstly, I downloaded a mod which added more weapons and Armor to the game (because who doesn't want that?!). Secondly, I've decided to play with only 2x Dagger and a Bow. It's a really fun playstyle and I enjoy it a lot (although Followers can ruin it a lot!). Obviously, I'm playing a sneak type of style so my Armor is Light-based.

The game just keeps bringing me back. I could be exhausted coming home in the evening but I still just want to log in for 5 minutes, craft some Armor, help some poor girl in trouble or explore a dungeon. There's soooooooooo much to do it's really breath-taking.

I guess I've kind of said what I think of the game right now and how, now that I've given it some game time, it really is worth of all the priase. I have a few questions for you more experienced and hardcore Skyrim fans.

As you can see, I'm really new. I'm currently a level 18 Nord who, I think, just became infected with that Vampire sh*t (again adding a cool level of diversity to the game!). I'm currently sitting in mostly Elven Armor and have 2x Elven Daggers and an Elven Bow equipped. I've done a bit of the Main Quest (I visited the Greaybeards and now they want me to retrieve something but I'm gonna do all that later!). I just completed the first part of the Companions Questline where I found out
    the Circle are Werewolves!!!
    . So that's literally where I am right now. My Sneak is ~55, Smithing ~40, One-Handed + Light Armor ~55 and Lockpick ~45.

With regards to questing, should I continue doing many sidequests/guilds/etc before completing the game?

With regards to DLC: 1) Is it worth it? 2) If it is worth it, should I get it after I've completed the main storyline?

Guess that's it =)

Good post. But I'm curious though, based on your gushing praise, have you played any of the other Elder Scrolls games?
    Skyrim is decent enough, but largely shallow and caters for the masses in its simplicity.

Actually on that topic, here's a great video outlining how bland and dumbed down it is:

http://youtu.be/JweTAhyR4o0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

quarryman wrote: »
    Good post. But I'm curious though, based on your gushing praise, have you played any of the other Elder Scrolls games?
    Skyrim is decent enough, but largely shallow and caters for the masses in its simplicity.

Actually on that topic, here's a great video outlining how bland and dumbed down it is:

did you manage to listen to more than 5 minutes of that long winded ****ehawk?

Bambi wrote: »
    did you manage to listen to more than 5 minutes of that long winded ****ehawk?
    Start it at 7 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just got f*cking owned 3 times in a row by Krev the Skinner and ragequit : (((
    Even if I'm not in werewolf form do silver weapons do extra damage?

He's a right bastard to kill. I ended up running around and kitting him around the map. Hurt him, run away and hide, hurt him again. Cheap, but works eventually.

Kiith wrote: »
    He's a right bastard to kill. I ended up running around and kitting him around the map. Hurt him, run away and hide, hurt him again. Cheap, but works eventually.

Turns out you can press Z while in Beast Form for an AoE fear, lol. Fight became pretty easy after that. The next part of the questline, though, can die in a fire. So difficult. My next character is definitely going to be a Heavy Armor, sword-bearing, shield-breaking machine!

Yes, I played both Oblivion and Morrowind extensively, putting over 100 into Oblivion I think!

That has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to stop working on Skyrim. They're publishers, not developers on that one.

They are? The website I read the news on made some sort of connection between the ending to Skyrim DLC content and the emergence of a new Wolfenstein game. From the article I interpreted that Bethsoft were the devs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

They are? The website I read the news on made some sort of connection between the ending to Skyrim DLC content and the emergence of a new Wolfenstein game. From the article I interpreted that Bethsoft were the devs

They bought a development house called Machine Games back in 2010, who will be doing all the work on Wolfenstein.

By all accounts Bethesda Game Studios tend to work on two games at a time so I'm hoping the end of Skyrim DLC means the silver lining will be that they they are focusing on polishing off Fallout 4 and perhaps initial concept design work on TES 6 :cool:.

I think Skyrim was some 3-4 years into development, much of that time in parallel to Fallout 3, before its existance ever became public knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I really don't get how people say Skyrim is hard. I play on Master difficulty and I'm having to install mods to make the game harder. Bows are so overpowered it's not funny. I think I might switch to unarmed in mage clothes.

• Advertisement

I really don't get how people say Skyrim is hard. I play on Master difficulty and I'm having to install mods to make the game harder. Bows are so overpowered it's not funny. I think I might switch to unarmed in mage clothes.

A sneaky archer has always made the game a breeze, as stealth is and always has been a bit broken. I did my first playthrough like that, and found it simple. Being a mage or melee user is tougher, but if you know the game, you can still make yourself practically invincible if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I restarted as 1-hand/destro/light because my first char sneakbuild was too easy and my second sword and board heavy was only marginally less so. :/

I have 150 hours played and haven't finished the main quest lines on any of the three yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

quarryman wrote: »

After having watched that I really want to go back and play Morrowind again. I miss the sense of achievement you got when you managed to get your hands on a rare item. Now to source a cheap copy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I see theres a special addition with all the dlc up for pre-order on amazon now.I traded in Skyrim after I finished Dawnguard. Really enjoyed the game but I'm not sure it has the replay value of something like Mass Effect where you can drastically change things through your decisions. Is Skyrim much different if you try another species? I played as a Nord.

Reckon I'm going to grab Oblivion 5th anniversary additionon the cheap and possibly get morrowind in the steam summer sale. Skyrim was my first ES game so I want to see what the fuss is about with the others :)

Also, slightly OT but it is a bethesda game.....is Fallout: New Vegas a big improvement over Fallout 3? I enjoyed Fallout but it never really grabbed me to the extent Skyrim did, never really felt compelled to explore the world and just mostly did the main quest and whatever smaller quests I stumbled on on the way.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the game but I'm not sure it has the replay value of something like Mass Effect where you can drastically change things through your decisions. Is Skyrim much different if you try another species? I played as a Nord.
    The answer to this is just way too subjective. So much comes down to your playstyle preference. I didn't play Skyrim the same way as I did Oblivion as there are just way too many games available when Skyrim was than when Oblivion was (March 2006). The role playing has to be in the form of creating a type of character, and only join the guilds that make sense for that character rather than a Jack of All Trades type thing.

Though, honestly, thinking on it now, I think that Skyrim is built with the intention of the Jack of all Trades thing, which is a pity. Certain enemies only come along at level specific points in the game.
    Reckon I'm going to grab Oblivion 5th anniversary additionon the cheap and possibly get morrowind in the steam summer sale. Skyrim was my first ES game so I want to see what the fuss is about with the others :)
    Morrowind really has not aged well. If we compare the three in terms of their times, Morrowind is easily the best of the three. I wasn't very happy with certain directions Oblivion went and to a lesser extent Skyrim.
    Also, slightly OT but it is a bethesda game.....is Fallout: New Vegas a big improvement over Fallout 3?
    I preferred the story in 3 a lot more to that of NV, to be honest. I haven't played New Vegas in ages, only going back to it when the DLC came out which, taken overall was a let down IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The answer to this is just way too subjective. So much comes down to your playstyle preference. I didn't play Skyrim the same way as I did Oblivion as there are just way too many games available when Skyrim was than when Oblivion was (March 2006). The role playing has to be in the form of creating a type of character, and only join the guilds that make sense for that character rather than a Jack of All Trades type thing.

Yeah I think thats what lessened the replay value for me, by the time i was done with it I felt like I had done everything the game had to offer (obviously there were some dungeons left to explore though). It needed more choices like Stormcloaks vs Imperial.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I understand the thinking behind the "Be whatever you want to be!" shtick but I just don't like it. There needs to be defined classes. I went pure mage and yet they let me join the thieves guild and become their leader with zero sneak ability. Muffle was the only real thieving spell I had. It was silly.

The class system works.

I don't think there needs to be a class system, but you should have to be proficient in certain skills to be able to rise in the guilds. It's pretty stupid that a heavy armoured tank with a giant axe and no magic ability whatsoever can become the head of the Mages guild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Currently went back to playing Skyrim after quite a LONG time. My original build (heavy armour, Big Fecking sword Nord) bored me after a while, especially as I got stuck at a part where there were 2 giants, and a mammoth, and I got fed up getting smashed into the sky.

Currently playing as a mage Khajit, and enjoying it a lot more, although currently getting my ass handed to me by a witch, and I can't see where the bitch is coming from, 2 hits, dead.

Still fairly low lvl, 8 or 9, I think.

The quests are getting a bit annoying. Go here, read that, go the other side of the poxy map to some place I haven't discovered yet, get something, go back again.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Also, slightly OT but it is a bethesda game.....is Fallout: New Vegas a big improvement over Fallout 3? I enjoyed Fallout

I loved Fallout 3. Poured hours into it. Fallout:NV just can't hold my attention. I have no interest in/connection to the Courier at all. Having said that, I did spoiler it on myself. I pegged it through a door I shouldn't have survived getting through. Must fire it up again, see if I can try a power fist no intelligence no charisma build.

It is technically truer to the Fallout canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't think there needs to be a class system, but you should have to be proficient in certain skills to be able to rise in the guilds. It's pretty stupid that a heavy armoured tank with a giant axe and no magic ability whatsoever can become the head of the Mages guild.

Oh, I don't know, I think that makes sense. I mean, if the axe is big enough, nobody's gonna argue...

Advertisement