Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,684 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Managed to save in a place where I'm trapped and keep getting killed. That's a years worth of play down the drain.
    no previous saves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

EGriff wrote: »
    Did you try sleeping? If not that you can check your active effects in the magic menu, that tells you everything that is boosting or dropping your stats.

Actually that had occured to me but I forgot it occured to me if you know what I mean:) are there any other effects to not sleeping regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

weiland79 wrote: »
    Actually that had occured to me but I forgot it occured to me if you know what I mean:) are there any other effects to not sleeping regularly.

Try going to the shrine of Talos in whiterun or any shrine really, it'll cure all diseases.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Managed to save in a place where I'm trapped and keep getting killed. That's a years worth of play down the drain.

Are you playing on PC? If so, use a console command to give you god mode or something like that just so you can get out of there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Overheal wrote: »
    no previous saves?

None. I'm defo going to make multiple saves in games from now on though.
    Are you playing on PC? If so, use a console command to give you god mode or something like that just so you can get out of there.

PS3, so no similar option.

I'm just happy I didn't throw my PS out the window tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

None. I'm defo going to make multiple saves in games from now on though.

none? does it not autosave constantly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

none? does it not autosave constantly?

It does, but I saved manually just as the door to the place locked behind me, without me noticing, can't get out until I kill this lad. Not strong enough to do do, not enough potions etc. So its pretty much my own stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It does, but I saved manually just as the door to the place locked behind me, without me noticing, can't get out until I kill this lad. Not strong enough to do do, not enough potions etc. So its pretty much my own stupidity.

so load the last autosave prior to that then? It'll be the last transition you made, no? I know that how it works on my xbox, I've dozens of autosaves listed and can go back 5 mins or 2 weeks... Is PS not the same?

Alternativly snipe him with arrows while hidden

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have you tried the 100% effective run like a bitch technique?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Use every single scroll and potion you have, put poison on your weapons, and try to abuse the terrain. If he's a magic enemy, hide behind a rock and try get him to use all his magic (may take a while). There were a few times i came across stupidly hard enemies, and a few random scrolls (summon atronach etc...) worked wonders and kept the enemy busy while i whittled away at their health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If it's too hard and every option in-game is exhausted, maybe just reduce the difficulty in options for this guy and up it again when you are done?

It's Halldir's Cairn ,he splits in to three, with nowhere to hide. I'll try the difficulty thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mod

9 huge monsters and quests for them.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/03/here-be-horkers-in-this-giant-skyrim-mod/

Here there be Monster

herethere.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Steve O wrote: »
    Say goodbye to your life for the next 3 months. :D

Greatest game ever.

Ah here. It's not even the best in the Elder Scrolls series...

quarryman wrote: »
    Ah here. It's not even the best in the Elder Scrolls series...

While I do love Morrowind, I have my reasons for loving Skyrim more.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mod

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/03/here-be-horkers-in-this-giant-skyrim-mod/

Here there be Monster

herethere.jpg

Looks great, need a list of the best mods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Gonna get back to playing this after a long time off. Been looking at the reddit: r/skyrimmods to find the best ones. Can anyone recommend any?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do ye use the steam workshop mods or do ye use the nexus ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Both i think, is there any advantage using one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Other than the steam version is a one click install system.

I always stuck to the nexus and the mod manager myself. Prefer having full control of the mods I use. The workshop just seems too good to be true and could lead to alot of conflicts / issues I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Both i think, is there any advantage using one over the other?

The main difference is Nexus is has some...questionable material :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Boobies!

Just a small list of mods I recommend that I can think of at the moment:
    - Sky UI
    - Skyrim Monster Mod (adds alot of new monsters to the game, not on Nexus anymore though)
    - Realistic Lighting Overhaul
    - Climates of Tamriel
    - Deadly Dragons
    - Alternate Start: Live Another Life (many new options to start Skyrim, including being a Vampire, being in a guild or starting in one of the homes)
    - Immediate Dragons
    - WATER
    - Cloaks of Skyrim
    - The Dance of Death (kill move mod)
    - Get Wet (great for Immersion)
    - Immersive Armors
    - Immersive Weapons
    - Aesir Armor
    - Jaysus Swords
    - Bandolier: Bags and Pouches
    - XCE Character Enhancement

I'll get a few more up later

Also a few tools I feel are needed to get mods running great without fear of crashing:
    - Skyrim Script Extender
    - B.O.S.S: Better Oblivion Sorting Software
    - TES5EDIT

Skyrim Script Extender is a definite must, some of the mods require it as mandatory (e.g SKY UI)

BOSS sorts adjusts the mod load order in the best way possible so it reduces conflicts between mods. It's best to run it after you install the mods or even after installing any new mods. It also shows if you need to delete or remove any mod .esp files as they may be contained in another mod.

TES5EDIT is a Modder tool resource but it can be used by anyone to clean up mod files. When you run BOSS, it checks each mod file to see if it has any identical files to the Skyrim Master file and also checks if it has any underlying references that are not needed. If it does it will highlight this. Using TES5EDIT on these mods to remove the above can majorly prevent crashing. There are videos online how to clean up the mod files.

To give an example, I run Skyrim heavily modded with roughly at least 50+ mods. before using BOSS properly and before using TES5EDIT I was getting crashes regularly. Now I don't get any at all. I think the Identical files from mods to the Master File can cause conflicts at some point during the game.

Few more recommended mods:
    - A Quality World Map
    - Duel Combat Realism
    - ABT: Arrow and Bolt Tweaks
    - Weapons and Armor Fixes
    - Vals Crafting Meltdown
    - Glowing Ore Veins
    - Perk UP
    - EZE's Disenchantable Artefacts
    - Enchanting Freedom
    - Actualise Apparel: Crafting Clothing
    - Get Snowy

I'd recommend the unofficial skyrim/hearthfire/dawnguard/dragonborn patches also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

On holiday for a week and decided to settle down to a good ol' Skyrim gaming session.

Sadly I'm getting the bloody annoying DTS problem. I've tried removing all mods, lowering settings, disabling AA and lowering the shadow detail and still getting it.

My PC is more than capable of playing it decently and I remember people having the exact same problem when the game first came out, but it never happened to me.

I'd really really hoped they'd fixed this after nearly two years as it really does ruin an amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mod

Here there be Monster

herethere.jpg

That screenie looks nice but I'd imagine that creature would be glitchy as all hell in reality.

On another note, I'm extremely disappointed that Bethesda have discontinued DLC for Skyrim in order to pursue the pipe dream of reinventing an iconic franchise. Such a missed opportunity.... the DLC we got in the end was very inadequate, was plagued with problems (not for me, as I have the 360, but the PS3 and PC launches were awful and arrived far too late) and was overpriced to boot (even Dragonborn was a bit overpriced).

Look at the amount of stuff that came out for Oblivion, for christ's sake. We got loads of extra player homes, a very large expansion and a small, Dawnguard-size questline for half the price that we got Dawnguard for.

And horse armour. But let's forget about that. Nevertheless, I liked putting bling bling on my steed.

Morrowind also got a lot of DLC as far as I'm aware but I've only played that game for an hour. Never really got into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Also, regarding that situation a few posts back with the guy stuck in an infinite save/death loop:

I was near a dungeon in western Skyrim once. A dragon appeared and I decided to run inside said dungeon for shelter. As I was sprinting, however, I got flamed by the dragon just before I got inside the dungeon and was on low health + was on fire.

*Loading screen*

As soon as I appeared inside the dungeon, I died from the flames.

*Loading screen*

Because it autosaved as soon as I arrived inside the dungeon, I was still on fire and died.

*Loading screen*

Died on fire.

*Loading screen*

Attempted to heal, to use fire potions or to change difficulty but died on fire instantly.

Et cetera.

And I was on Xbox so the loading screens were long.

I think I had to load a previous save from two hours before. Just thought I'd share this story because I feel the pain of anybody who this happens to. Not fun!

Advertisement