Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anyone who is getting into Skyrim or getting back into it and would like a guide to modding which covers which mods to use for every aspect of the game should check out this guys Youtube channel

Ive been subscribed to it since the game released and his output is extremely helpful. At some point soon I want to get back to Skyrim but the sheer amount of mods to sift through is overwhelming. Now Gopher is doing a new set of videos covering the basics of what files are need to get modding, and then which mods are the ones to use. You dont necessarily have to take his word for it as he always makes his decisions based on painstaking analysis and comparisions which he covers in his vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just for back into Skyrim recently, as I used very few mods at first and now am pimping out the game. Been playing for about 4 weeks on and off and only realised now that when using the Nexus mod loader thingy, I have to activate all the mods I downloaded. I'd essentially been playing vanilla Skyrim with a few Steam mods and wondering why it didn't seem too different. :o

Agricola wrote:
    Anyone who is getting into Skyrim or getting back into it and would like a guide to modding which covers which mods to use for every aspect of the game should check out this guys Youtube channel

Ive been subscribed to it since the game released and his output is extremely helpful. At some point soon I want to get back to Skyrim but the sheer amount of mods to sift through is overwhelming. Now Gopher is doing a new set of videos covering the basics of what files are need to get modding, and then which mods are the ones to use. You dont necessarily have to take his word for it as he always makes his decisions based on painstaking analysis and comparisions which he covers in his vids.

PCGamer did a great list too, but just can't find it at the moment. It was quite detailed with both Steamworkshop and Nexus links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Agricola wrote: »

Yea i used his vids to get the ENB working. After that its just a case of finding what you're after, making sure not to have mods that overlap eachother (texture packs and such). I have about 60 mods running, which about 40 or so are graphical.

Only thing i have to figure out now is how to use the BOSS loader. Painful to say the least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    PCGamer did a great list too, but just can't find it at the moment. It was quite detailed with both Steamworkshop and Nexus links.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/28/the-25-best-skyrim-mods-2/

Some fantastic mods listed in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There was a list they made last month that had all the recent mods in it too. It just seems to have disappeared. Or I dreamt it. Either's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm still new to the game, so please be kind. Had a question. I originally installed Skyrim on my Windows 8 Admin account using Steam, and it also appeared and can be played on my user account. If I download and install a mod on the user account, not the Admin, will it also be installed on the Admin at the same time, or be a separate file on the user account only?

Just wondering if I can only install mods on my user account, without risk to my Admin, or the original Skyrim game installed on Admin?

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Black Swan wrote: »
    I'm still new to the game, so please be kind. Had a question. I originally installed Skyrim on my Windows 8 Admin account using Steam, and it also appeared and can be played on my user account. If I download and install a mod on the user account, not the Admin, will it also be installed on the Admin at the same time, or be a separate file on the user account only?

Just wondering if I can only install mods on my user account, without risk to my Admin, or the original Skyrim game installed on Admin?

Hope this makes sense.

I'm not mad knowledgeable about Windows user accounts, but the mods (be they Steam Workshop or Nexus) go in the Skyrim install directory, so my guess would be that they'd be playable on both. If you use the Nexus Mod manager, then you can pick and choose what gets loaded, so likely you'd not even notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Hope this makes sense.

Yeah that won't be a problem at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Just after getting a new PC and Skyrim is absolutely beautiful on it! I had been playing vanilla with SkyUI and the HD pack but last night I tried to install the 2K texture pack to no avail? Do any of ye have this and if so do ye have it installed in the game folder or through nexus mod manager?

Also any tips on which ENB mod to go with?

Just after getting a new PC and Skyrim is absolutely beautiful on it! I had been playing vanilla with SkyUI and the HD pack but last night I tried to install the 2K texture pack to no avail? Do any of ye have this and if so do ye have it installed in the game folder or through nexus mod manager?

Also any tips on which ENB mod to go with?

I had a lot of problems with Skyrim 2k aswell (through the NMM) I think the best way to install it is to do all the files manually that's a bit of a pain in the arse tho so I didn't bother. For enb I'm using realvision (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30936//?) here's a really simple video of how to install it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-T3cWGH2LY beware tho it's fairly gpu heavy so don't be expecting great fps unless you have a savage pc but it does make Skyrim look amazing :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure if I am a typical new Skyrim player. I do like to experiment when I can (in games and life), and the console coding features were so tempting. Just for fun I began one new game fudging quite a bit by giving my Level I character doubly playerenchantedobjects Daedric armor, boots, gauntlets, helmet (fortify health; regenerate health), great sword (absorb health; absorb stamina), enhanced Dwarven crossbow (absorb health; absorb stamina), as well as player.additems explosive Dwarven ice bolts, Necklace of Peerless Health, Ring of the Beast, and just in case she encountered deep water during her quests, Circlet of Waterbreathing.

After quickly cutting through her competition, kissing the warrior stone, and hitching a wagon ride to Windhelm (along with a gold coin scholarship), she stayed with two-handed trainer Shatter-Shield up to Level 12. All this took very little time, and fit with my real world work and uni schedule. After this, she was one mean fighting machine on horse or foot!

Beyond console coding, I can just imagine the possibilities of adding mods to this game (which I will), and maybe even scripting mods someday. Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There are literally 1000s of mods covering almost everything you can think of. Its one of my favorite things about PC gaming.

If your main charter wears the Ring of the Beast, will they eventually be turned into a vampire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah yes, the joyous task of loading and unloading mods to find which ones I can safely use without getting a mysterious CTD.

I do love Skyrim, but it's such a buggy game at times, even without mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

If your main charter wears the Ring of the Beast, will they eventually be turned into a vampire?

Nope, still a handy ring for the health bonus though.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah yes, the joyous task of loading and unloading mods to find which ones I can safely use without getting a mysterious CTD.

I do love Skyrim, but it's such a buggy game at times, even without mods.

Trying to find that conflicting mod is a pain in the arse alright, as for the bugs, do you use the unofficial skyrim patch? The only bugs I've encountered since installing it are ones caused by my other mods

Trying to find that conflicting mod is a pain in the arse alright, as for the bugs, do you use the unofficial skyrim patch? The only bugs I've encountered since installing it are ones caused by my other mods

I've tried both with and without mods installed. Even performed a fresh install in the past.

The hard part of the process is that crashes are completely sporadic. So I can play for hours with a problem, and then get numerous crashes in a few minutes.

I may spend some time tomorrow on my day off going through them again.

I'm only using a few very basic mods, mostly Winter is Coming/Cloak mods and Lighting mods.

My ultimate quest is to find a great skin texture mod that doesn't also involve getting my male or female characters naked! :P

Just discovered Nocturnal's clothes. They are quite suggestive with a low cut in front and lots of leg showing, very unlike most Skyrim clothing. Oddly, if you player.additem 00088952 the console reports it as added, but these clothes fail to show in inventory. If you equipitem 00088952 on a companion or NPC, they will show on the character, but if you logoff the game and return later, they sometimes disappear, leaving your NPC in their old clothing. This happened with my spouse Sylgja (found in Shor's Stone). Had her showing off her grand looks in Nocturnal clothes, only have her back in her old robes when I reloaded the game after leaving for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I played this on the 360, and approaching the final quests I started to bump the hell out of my weapons. using the enchants. They got so powerful I was one hitting dragons ... took the fun out of the game tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just discovered Nocturnal's clothes. They are quite suggestive with a low cut in front and lots of leg showing, very unlike most Skyrim clothing. Oddly, if you player.additem 00088952 the console reports it as added, but these clothes fail to show in inventory. If you equipitem 00088952 on a companion or NPC, they will show on the character, but if you logoff the game and return later, they sometimes disappear, leaving your NPC in their old clothing. This happened with my spouse Sylgja (found in Shor's Stone). Had her showing off her grand looks in Nocturnal clothes, only have her back in her old robes when I reloaded the game after leaving for a bit.

Have you a load of mods installed?

• Advertisement

Have you a load of mods installed?
    Have no mods installed yet, but will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There is a Black Friday deal on Amazon for Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Legendary Edition for both Xbox 360 and the PS3.
    I might take a chance and buy the PS3 version, I hope the problems have been fixed.

The Legendary Edition for PC has a few bugs, without mods added.

The Legendary Edition for PC has a few bugs, without mods added.

To be honest though, Skyrim is really one of those games that's far far better when you've modded it compared to the vanilla game.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be honest though, Skyrim is really one of those games that's far far better when you've modded it compared to the vanilla game.
    Agree. It's light years ahead of Dragon Age in content and open play. And experimenting with modding adds to the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Agree. It's light years ahead of Dragon Age in content and open play. And experimenting with modding adds to the fun.

Summon horse was one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I heavily modded (running a realvision enb with 60+ mods) my Skyrim but forgot all about it.

Might drop into it again and start a mage hmmmmm. Take a few pics along the way too :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mods are the reason i've not bothered playing it on my PS3. I'd love to get back into it, but after playing such a heavily modded version on my pc last year, there's just so much i'd have to do without. It's still a great game if you've never experienced it with mods, but to go back to vanilla would be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Went for the PS3 verison, I can always get the PC verison again if I really want to try the mods.
    I have a new computer (one year old) with integrated graphics (Intel (R) HD Graphics 1760)so not sure if it would cope with skyrim or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

15.50 for next day or so on steam for Legendary edition.

Advertisement