Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Mac Cormaic

so how does a weekday after trooperstown sound? that would be either 23,24,25 of february for me. possible start at johnny foxes and do an out and back run? not the whole way out though! :eek:

Yeah I'd say the 24th or 25th should be ok for me. I just want to get a gist of the course so anything from 18 - 26 miles would suit me, at an easy pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Here are the Satnav coordinates for The Gap pub near the start of the Annagh Hill race.

I think the easiest way (if you're in the Dublin area) is to head to Gorey on the N11.

Thanks GoHard. I changed your route to the optimal choice coming from Dublin, in the directions.

Just back in from helping PN mark the course. The overnight rain has meant a fair bit more damp spots around the route, but nothing to fundamentaly change its character. Your feet will be wet from early on, but the downhills can be attacked without fear of impact. Anyone who has only run road races will be in for a bit of a baptism of fire, if its your first race. Anyone who likes offroad, AR's, freedom, challenges, or hurtling downhill and making a decision to sprint, will enjoy this course. As Trunner said, its probably closer to a Champ route than a League, so marking it felt like guilding the lily a bit.
    However, everythings ready to go, any Boardies who don't know me, please look for a tall bald man looking stressed, and say hello. And hang around in the pub after for a bit, I'd love to hear tales from your race, and what you thought of the course.

Really wish I was racing this one! Good luck to all from here running it tomorrow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Circuit of Avonbeg forum topic up over on IMRA.ie, now that's what I call fine use of teaser advertising, it's 4 months away!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is the carpooling section of the website always empty? If so, does anyone know of anyone in Dublin 10/22/12 who I can scab lifts from to get to races? Need to stop talking about how much I want to do IMRA races and actually do some...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How did annagh hill go? I couldn't make it was on the mtb. Lovely weather today, and on that course, I'd say it was tough going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Epic race today. Had a bit of everything. I ran into every pool and was lucky to come out of a few of them!

My plan to take it easy up the initial climb and move through the field backfired into the strong wind at the top. Going harder and sheltering/recovering in a small group was the way to go.

Technical descending, hard firewall climbs that continued into more trail climbing and a final exhilirating descent meant palces were swopped many times.

Well done to Kevin Keane on the win and to Peterx on a great run in second. Hard luck to Enduro hurting his ankle on the descent. Hes going to hospital for a scan, lets hope for a good outcome.

Kudos to D'Pop on a fantastic course and a excellently organised event. One of the best places to be this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kangshung

Adding my thanks to Donothoponpop for a savage race today, never gone up (or down) a steeper hill in a run before! Or run into a stronger wind along the top of that ridge. That mudwall descent was unique to say the least, some buzz coming down it. And whoever said that pool was knee deep didn't try it out this morning, hip deep more like it!

Cheers also to Paul Nolan for great marking (even I couldn't get lost) and all the other volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1 to those comments. Thanks to Paul for dreaming of this route on his runs around Annagh hill, for producing a route worthy of any imra calendar, for coordinating it all and making it happen so successfully. A first race directorship too. Weather was poor, but the poor conditions added to the spectacle of it all. Well done volunteers and runners for making the journey to North Wexford (not south Wicklow after all). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

+2 thanks to donothoponpop, no doubt about this race being a great one! i was sorry to see enduro on the final muddy decent, good luck with a speedy strong recovery. see you all at trooperstown! :D

The initial climb, near the gate...
    399D30121E4F4660B1C8D82F067CB5E8-0000332535-0002152827-00640L-902A416D33C54CDBA77675FD730BB7B5.jpg

The winner just thru' the gate...
    12CA9508AC9742DDA29BB2FD86F86D23-0000332535-0002152823-00640L-DC0719F95CD44B0CA2956289DE150338.jpg

The following bunch...
    6EC6374252E94FE9986C4D4102AF10D4-0000332535-0002152822-00640L-D9D1F678587E4CC097ACD3114DCBF757.jpg

Kevin on the downhill off the ridge near the race end...
    EEBA6012405D410EB12AA35806B71D12-0000332535-0002152729-00640L-7F85FFB89A5048FF861B965C62EE7C38.jpg

The photos are on the imra site or here:- http://pix.ie/mickhanney/album/400974

• Advertisement

A great day today. Huge turnout, and the weather was just another thing to be battled with. It's a lot easier running in these event, than running these events, but my job today was made vastly easier by the great help from volunteers, many from these parts, and I'd like to thank them all. They are the reason imra produces the best-ran races in the country, for a fraction of the price of others.

My reward for any effort I put in was repaid at the finish line, when runner after runner thanked the course (expertly marked by PN), and the general concensus was a thumbs up. Lots of Boardies out there today, led home (just after the winner Kevin Keane) by PeterX, who proceeded to bike the 90k home to Dublin afterwards! The final downhill had one major casualty in Enduro, who was no doubt giving it everything in an effort to catch the leader, and went over on his ankle- a trip to hospital was required, so fingers crossed its nothing too serious. Jeffontour left nothing out on the course, to finish in the top 10, a great result.

Personally, I was happiest to see mymojo come in first lady, as she was pushed hard in a tough race around the course, and had to let go and discover her downhill ability for the first time, to hold off her challenger. When we recce'd the course two days ago, her downhill was very hesitant, thats been blown away now, onwards and upwards Suzanne.

Best part of the day though, was getting a handshake at the finish from Joe Lalor, who approved of all this muck and ****e. Praise indeed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like it was a mucky one! Did many people manage to run up the initial climb without doing the shuffle-stomp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Looks like it was a mucky one! Did many people manage to run up the initial climb without doing the shuffle-stomp?

As far as i could see nobody ran all the way up the first climb. I thought i saw Kevin walking at one stage, but if he didnt run all the way then nobody did in all probability.

Winner Kevin Keane
    [IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TU74lemRhhI/AAAAAAAAAVE/6HcRooGy0lc/s640/P2060123.JPG" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

Second PeterX- "have I time for a 90k cycle?"
    [IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TU74mJ21gOI/AAAAAAAAAVI/k3DgLMZR284/s640/P2060124.JPG" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

Winner mymojo- now choc full of downhilly goodness
    [IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TU74mTW-7kI/AAAAAAAAAVM/wjqTzN6r4ek/s640/P2060144.JPG" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

Best Use of Crutches Award
    [IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TU74m2I55WI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/lcLavMjK17U/s640/P2060231.JPG" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Superb race, well done to donothoponpop. He talked a good game all week and delivered in spades.

Will post a full review tomorrow but loved the course, was like a roller coaster. And well done to mymojo. I was just behind the two leading women and there was a great battle between them all the way around.

2 photos from one of the great races within today's race. By my timestamp on my photos I see the ladies were 30 seconds apart at this stage. That was pretty consistent with the gap at the 1st climb I think. In the overall race my timestamp showed Kevin aprox. 40s clear when he made the top.

C831F44BE28445A1A6B1E7AC84CC3FE7-0000332535-0002153191-00800L-2E3DF81DB17847C9BB9A2F08E64204CE.jpg

2781388A01C04A488CD688D33D487C78-0000332535-0002153190-00800L-47F6900BFD7F48E39EC10F1C42FB86B8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

ha! i had no choice but to run as fast as i cud downhill today! karen was right on my heels all the way around the course...never passing but literally right behind...i had to push hard on the second uphill to create a bit more of a gap between us and try not slow down on the descents towards the finish which i knew wud be the most challenging parts of the race for me.....
    dont know if anyone ran the first hill?? no chance i cud anyway! and then the wind at the top made me feel like i was running on the spot in parts...
    a really exhilarating race...tough and will definately be feeling the legs a bit stiff tomoro..
    thanks donothoponpop and PN for a great day! well done jeffontour...didnt see u at all during the race..up towards the front and getting top 10 poll position..wohoo...
    enduro...as mentioned by the others...wishing u a speedy recovery and hope to see u back running soon
    thanks to the gap pub for the nicest rolls and soup ever ;)
    looking forward to the next race

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Looked like a class race just based on the state of the runners coming back to the finish line! It was like yiz were coming back from the Somme!

Grim about Enduro's broken fibula :-(

Just wanted to add a +1 to everyone's comments about donothoponpop. It was obvious that he'd put a huge amount of effort into the race and it paid off! Brilliant stuff. The Summit marshalls (Paul & Izzy?) must have had a tough time in that wind!

And wanted to give props to JeffonTour..great result and man you blasted across that line...I could hear your breathing from a good while back and you were obviously giving it everything you had..no doubting the commitment so fair play and congrats on the top 10 placing!! Well deserved.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Great race yesterday, it was my 2nd IMRA race and what a contrast with Howth (I previously mentioned I thought the Howth climb was tough :) ) but I really enjoyed it once I got past the first dreaded climb and was happy with my placing in 65th, even happier with the soup and sandwiches in the pub! The course had everything, steep climbs, twists and turns, beautiful scenery, muck up to your knees, followed by puddles to clean the muck, tricky rapid descents and best of all it was on home turf :D Fair play to the organizers and volunteers who ensured a smooth operation, looking forward to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Sorry to hear about enduro's injury. Get well soon dude.

Really was a great course despite my initial doubts, i.e. the steep climb at the start. That was just energy sapping and the strong wind on the ridge didn't provide the relief I was hoping for. But in the same way a roller coaster must make slowly make its way to the top before the fun really begins after the drop.

The mix of bog, track, deep pools and forest was fantastic. Fast and furious. Took a few tumbles, nearly going head first into a pool at one stage. Was behind the two leading women for most of the course but lost sight of them along the open ridge before the last climb. Great battle between them.

I was right on my limit on the last descent and picked up a place or too. Body is sore this morning. Bit of 'road rash' on my leg after a couple of spills.

Well done to all involved including the two marshals who provided great encouragement.

All this and soup and a roll for E7 is just insane value. One of favourite races of the 13 IMRAs or I've done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Had a great time yesterday, well done to all involved and the soup and roll was great to have by the fire back in the pub.

I went through all my regular emotions for an IMRA race, starting off with what the hell am I doing at the beginning, moving onto thank god we're over that climb, to the half way slump to the joy of approaching the finish again. The initial climb was tough, was passed by a lad right at the very top so I tucked in behind him when we got to the ridge and he seemed to slow. I was wondering what the hell he was at so I moved out to go around him again when I was hit by the wall of wind. I swiftly (cheekily) got back in behind him and used him as a wind block until the descent and made a couple of places there. For a while I was running in and around 3rd and 4th place ladies. 3rd place got away from me on that long drag of a trail at the half way mark and I started lagging myself here, I hate being able to see far ahead of where I've to go, particularly when it's all up hill.

I actually didn't mind the very last climb, managed to gain on the group ahead of me and caught the 4th lady half way up and was behind her at the big pool. Jaysus that was cold and the depth was scarily close to crotch level for myself. Then the final decent came and did I enjoy that. Made about 6 or 7 positions and eventually managed to put distance on the 4th place lady who was tormenting me for the most part.

Got back in under the hour and really enjoyed the course, had a bit of everything and it was fun ducking and diving under branches, around pools and deep mud and the fast down hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Delighted with my placing but there was a large chunk of good fortune contributed to it with Enduro suffering his injury and a group of at least 3 runners going astray at the last of the mini lakes on course. Serves them right for not taking the direct approach and barreling straight through though I reckon. :D

Can only add to what's already been said about the route and afters in the pub etc. Great work by donothoponpop as RD and all his able helpers both out on the course and doing the registration etc. Loved the final blast on the muddy slopes. When I recced the route it was frozen under foot and I didn't fancy it much but was delighted to hold off the likes of Martin Francis, just about, on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

jeffontour wrote: »
    a group of at least 3 runners going astray at the last of the mini lakes on course. Serves them right for not taking the direct approach and barreling straight through though I reckon. :D

hah, i believe i was one of the 3, possibly 4 people. What happened was; a runner infront had gone in to the woods and gotten quite piss*d off about it, hearing his shouts i thought it was a marshal calling us all in, after losing about a minute i was laughing at myself for making such a mistake on a straight path! . i am still very happy with my placing and final struggle with martin francis, he was very nice to share a few encouraging/tactical words with me after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks for all the good wishes.

I was really enjoying that race until my injury. The best new course I've been on in years. A proper mountain run. Well done to everyone involved in the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Hope you have a fast recovery Enduro! And you mightn't QUITE go home empty handed from Annagh Hill yet...I just spotted a quote from a previous post... *cough* ;-)
    AWESOME!

My local training ground, Annagh Hill, made the cut! Spanking brand new course (photos here and here ). Special prize for the first (non Imra prize winning) Boardsie to the gate at the summit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Get well soon Enduro!

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Hope you have a fast recovery Enduro! And you mightn't QUITE go home empty handed from Annagh Hill yet...I just spotted a quote from a previous post... *cough* ;-)
    AWESOME!

My local training ground, Annagh Hill, made the cut! Spanking brand new course (photos here and here ). Special prize for the first (non Imra prize winning) Boardsie to the gate at the summit.:)
    Well spotted, I had forgotten about that! I'll put a bottle of something on ice for you Eoin.:)

Myself and PN went up (fourth day in a row) to fix a fence and tighten barbed wire. The views had returned, wouldn't you know, and it was interesting to see the various trails runners had left, often in vain attempts to skirt muck, puddles, or pools. We did a bit of scouting on some variant routes for a LC course, and discovered an absolutely brilliant downhill, crying out for some runners. Next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just to add, after yesterday I can now see the point of gaiters like these,

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG5&L=26&P=5050973025
    I had a nasty collection of debris and grit gathered in my ankle cuff of my shoe which started to agitate my ankle, had the race been any longer it would have gotten quite sore.

Well spotted, I had forgotten about that! I'll put a bottle of something on ice for you Eoin.:)

Myself and PN went up (fourth day in a row) to fix a fence and tighten barbed wire. The views had returned, wouldn't you know, and it was interesting to see the various trails runners had left, often in vain attempts to skirt muck, puddles, or pools. We did a bit of scouting on some variant routes for a LC course, and discovered an absolutely brilliant downhill, crying out for some runners. Next year...

Did you add a cross country bit so that it would start or end from your house? Thats the only way you'd make it more perfect for you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Not much to add to the above. I also really enjoyed the race. Especially the ups and the downs and in the forest. Fell back a bit on the "flat" sections along the wall into the wind and back through the puddles/lakes on the other side of the wall.

Well done DNHOP on running a very successful race.

Advertisement