Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

jeffontour wrote: »
    Anyone elses time for the Wednesday sufferfest about 30 seconds more than they clocked? I'm guessing it's just a case of the race starting a little after the watch did.

I was sure I clocked 38:58 at the top, head and body weren't best connected at that point so it could have been 39:58. Results have me at 40:36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Anyone elses time for the Wednesday sufferfest about 30 seconds more than they clocked? I'm guessing it's just a case of the race starting a little after the watch did.
    Yes, about 30 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I clocked 38.10 to the trig point and the results have me at 38.52 so +42 seconds.

That makes Ian Conroy's time approximately 36.02 and very competitive in comparison to the trial times of last year - assuming the times for the trial race last year are correct of course - just checked - the times from last year appear to be largely correct or possibly 8 seconds going by my time.

Recced leg 4 of WWR last night, now that is a fast leg! net downhill...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

The front runners times posted Wednesday are next to impossible for me to fathom. It's madness to think how quickly they're moving.

I had a decent run Wednesday and am still feeling tired after it which suggests I was pushing hard for me but was still six minutes back, that's a minute a k. Got to admire the talent and workload that goes into those kinds of performances. And hope they're all suffering after the effort as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

The front runners times posted Wednesday are next to impossible for me to fathom. It's madness to think how quickly they're moving.

I had a decent run Wednesday and am still feeling tired after it which suggests I was pushing hard for me but was still six minutes back, that's a minute a k. Got to admire the talent and workload that goes into those kinds of performances. And hope they're all suffering after the effort as well!

Have a look at Brian McMahon's time for the route the previous year, probably the most commanding uphill performance I have seen with my own eyes in my time with IMRA and the gap he left to very fine calibre of runners behind him more of a chasm. This year's trial may bring out an even finer time.

On a general note, I find every speed ahead tends to look much faster than it is. Nothing is unachievable. I run half-marathons at the speed I maxed out at on a treadmill four years ago. Then that would have seemed impossible. Since it has always been my belief that any able-bodied man or woman can do pretty much what they set their mind to as long as they train right. Very few, if any, are superhuman, they are just ahead on the training curve and have a great mentality to training and racing.

• Advertisement

Raighne wrote: »
    On a general note, I find every speed ahead tends to look much faster than it is.
    Agree.
    Nothing is unachievable.
    Disagree, but I appreciate the sentiment. :)
    Since it has always been my belief that any able-bodied man or woman can do pretty much what they set their mind to as long as they train right.
    If I went to your hill sessions as many times as I thought, "must go to that hill session" I might be a fine example of this theory!

Until I do I'll continue to look on in awe as the front of the pack eases away.

Agree.

Disagree, but I appreciate the sentiment. :)

If I went to your hill sessions as many times as I thought, "must go to that hill session" I might be a fine example of this theory!

Until I do I'll continue to look on in awe as the front of the pack eases away.

Ha, yes the "nothing is unachievable" is a bit tongue in cheek. What I mean is that most of us can reach much further than we'd ever believe possible. But there's no skipping any steps which can make the journey seem frustratingly long and hard especially when it looks like someone is doing it "at will" (which is probably only the case for the small selection of genetic freaks).

Awe is not a bad thing. There's two ways to respond to that, by inspired by it, or kneel before it. Luckily this proud island of Celtic warriors has more of a tradition for the former than the latter. Our athletics will need as much of that sentiment as it can if our old traditions are to close the gaps on Kenya and Ethiopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

There's two ways to respond to eat,

yeah that seems to have been my response :rolleyes: ...the Teatime Express Apple Danishes seem to be having a drastic effect on this year's times!

Ro

Ar Strae wrote: »
    yeah that seems to have been my response :rolleyes: ...the Teatime Express Apple Danishes seem to be having a drastic effect on this year's times!

Ro

Hehe, spelling error, now fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The finishing mementos for Caurauntoohill sound great. Kudos to all involved in organising this.

Map for Glasnamullan should be up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Have a look at Brian McMahon's time for the route the previous year, probably the most commanding uphill performance I have seen with my own eyes in my time with IMRA and the gap he left to very fine calibre of runners behind him more of a chasm. This year's trial may bring out an even finer time.

I think Brian is going to be in similar form this year.Done a few long runs with him this year in the hills and he just loves the uphills.
    ian conroy though would have to be the fav for 2nd int he trials after that performance and whats amazing is his session are track orientated 16 x 200m 12 x 400m ect.soem guys just have the ability to climb.
    Unlike others who struggle on the uphills :mad:

That trial race should be great, It would be cool to have video cameras on it. One at the start of the gully climb, One on the zigzags, one watching them descend to the river, one watching them climb up from the river and one at the finish, whilst I'm dreaming I'd like a helicopter camera watching them too!
    Brendan Lawlor's race next Wednesday looks brilliant, we're spoiled with new routes this year.

If its raining Glasnamullan could be fun. Hope lots wear road shoes ;)

I think Brian is going to be in similar form this year.Done a few long runs with him this year in the hills and he just loves the uphills.
    ian conroy though would have to be the fav for 2nd int he trials after that performance and whats amazing is his session are track orientated 16 x 200m 12 x 400m ect.soem guys just have the ability to climb.
    Unlike others who struggle on the uphills :mad:

It will be interesting to watch especially whether one or two runners break free to such a degree that they decide to back off late on and save the rest for the Championship. This could be a major deterrent to the record falling. Brian doesn't appear to have let off the tempo (although finishing three minutes clear), but you could see a very tactical athlete deciding to do so if well ahead on the final half of the climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

It will be interesting to watch especially whether one or two runners break free to such a degree that they decide to back off late on and save the rest for the Championship. This could be a major deterrent to the record falling. Brian doesn't appear to have let off the tempo (although finishing three minutes clear), but you could see a very tactical athlete deciding to do so if well ahead on the final half of the climb.

It can be risky to let your foot off the gas on an uphill.
    Guys can slowly reel you in, when guys start to gain on an uphill, it becomes a burning obsession. Once you lose your rythem on a climb and the guys behind see it, your breakfast.

ocnoc wrote: »
    It can be risky to let your foot off the gas on an uphill.
    Guys can slowly reel you in, when guys start to gain on an uphill, it becomes a burning obsession. Once you lose your rythem on a climb and the guys behind see it, your breakfast.

That's certainly an explanation especially as few leads will be as emphatic as Brian's. I have heard some of the top runners saying they took the foot off a bit once their spot in the top-4 (or top-6) was secure though, uphill or downhill non-withstanding. The nature of a trial makes this a bit easier since it doesn't matter whether you win or not, just that you within the top-4/6 in a reasonable time.

That's certainly an explanation especially as few leads will be as emphatic as Brian's. I have heard some of the top runners saying they took the foot off a bit once their spot in the top-4 (or top-6) was secure though, uphill or downhill non-withstanding. The nature of a trial makes this a bit easier since it doesn't matter whether you win or not, just that you within the top-4/6 in a reasonable time.

The "record" is irrelevant, in a trial race it's all about the place and then once a top 4 is secured it's all about being within 110% of the winner - this second part keeps lads honest though, the days of finishing a trial race in 4th place but with 116% of the winning time are gone.

Lads in 2nd or 3rd place in a world trial can relax towards the finish though - their breakfast will be safe, Brian MacMahon went with a handy paced (for him) second place in the world trial on Galteemore before and then was by miles the best Irish runner at the actual race.

Vicious headwind on the boardwalk on leg 2 this morning. Glad it was today and not last Saturday or Pablo T would have had difficulties.

Encountered a closed gate around the river between Knockree and Crone. Posted a note on the IMRA forum for Joe to see. Anyone else come across this closed recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

Vicious headwind on the boardwalk on leg 2 this morning. Glad it was today and not last Saturday or Pablo T would have had difficulties.

Encountered a closed gate around the river between Knockree and Crone. Posted a note on the IMRA forum for Joe to see. Anyone else come across this closed recently?
    seem to remember there being pretty strong crosswinds on this section which made staying on the boards a bit tricky but maybe Jeff can remember better than me as he was with me

Don't remember any closed gate but again Jeff probably opened it if there was one. I think he would have wiped my backside if I asked him to. Sorry to be graphic :D

Peterx wrote: »
    The "record" is irrelevant, in a trial race it's all about the place and then once a top 4 is secured it's all about being within 110% of the winner - this second part keeps lads honest though, the days of finishing a trial race in 4th place but with 116% of the winning time are gone.

Lads in 2nd or 3rd place in a world trial can relax towards the finish though - their breakfast will be safe, Brian MacMahon went with a handy paced (for him) second place in the world trial on Galteemore before and then was by miles the best Irish runner at the actual race.

I did not claim the record was relevant for the trial. The discussion was on whether it's likely to be broken during it or not. The rest of the post mirrors my sentiment exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Interesting discussion re times, uphill running etc

The dynamic of a trial race is different to a regular race. Objective is to qualify - top 3 generally guarantees this. So there is of course an option to take the foot off the gas and cruise to the finish. Cruise is not the right word here - controlled is more appropriate. There are only so may times you can go to the well in a season, so why push more than necessary (although good point peterx re 110% rule, but can't see this being implemented) ...

That said, the placing in a trial is typically the same as a standard race.

Peaking is also important - if you peak/taper for the trial, you can perform poorly in champs. Flip side is if you don't peak for trial you can fail to make the champs :)

The trial this year should be interesting - lots of people talking about it, but as always will they show? Brian M is deservedly pre-selected as far as I know, so don't think he'll run unless he wants a training exercise :)

pablo t wrote: »
    seem to remember there being pretty strong crosswinds on this section which made staying on the boards a bit tricky but maybe Jeff can remember better than me as he was with me
    It was a bit wild along there coming down into Balinastoe all right.

Don't remember any closed gate but again Jeff probably opened it if there was one.
    Can't place a gate being shut, but I could be wrong.
    I think he would have wiped my backside if I asked him to.
    You over-estimate the lengths to which your crew would have gone!

This pic (from the Arts Photos forum) will appeal to those who did the CoA race recently... Lug from Lugduff

From IMRA forum
    "Brian MacMahon has been pre-selected for the Europeans and juniors Kevin Dooney and Eoghan Totten have been offered selection. Brian will be away in Kenya training when the trials are being held. The two juniors are trying to gain qualifying times for the World junior track and field championships.

The four teams look strong this year. Among the senior men current championship internationals such as Barry Minnock, Peter OFarrell, Brian Furey, Tom Hogan, Kevin Keane, Ian Conroy, Mark Ryan, and Eoin Flynn will be joined by Robert Malseed, Paul McNamara, Lorcan Cronin, Roger Barrett and others in a battle for the three remaining places.

Sharon Bird, Donna Mahon, Emma Donlon, Aoife Joyce, and Jenny McCauley will compete for the womens team along with newcomer Sarah McCormack who has been running very well in Scotland.

The two junior teams could potentially be our best teams ever given the strength of the Youths teams."

Brian is pre-selected so 3 to make it in the senior men, savage races in prospect. The slim possibility exists of a Rathfarnham 1,2,3 in the trial but there is an equally small possibility of none of our lads making the team which in turn means the team this year could be our strongest in years. Heady stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race last night as per usual. Almost worth the sprained ankle and E15 spent in the chemist on anti-inflams this morning.

Found the uphill miserable and just never got going.

Started to feel ok once we got off the boardwalks and headed for the mist shrouded summit. Loved the descent though, was pretty epic coming off djouce. Made up quite a few places and was flying. About 200 metres from the stream I ate dirt. Knocked the wind right out of my sails and twisted my ankle. I'm putting the fall down to lack of concentration, was beginning to cruise before *trip, close eyes, roll.*

Was one of those occassions where your ankle refuses any weight at first but after a while, it wears off. Lost two places but I was struggling to hold on anyway. Pleased with the result. Ankle felt fine for about an hour afterwards but has since flared up. Ho hum.

Just a note on footwear. I wore a pair innov8s for only the fourth time and they were incredible. They inspire huge confidence on descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Ouch on the fall nerraw...and so close to the end too. Fun race last night..felt so much nicer and more runnable than Djouce the week before.

The top of Djouce kinda came as a surprise out of the mist. Lost no places (net :-)) on the descent which is very rare for me so happy with that. The descent was a lot of fun. Especially whjen you come down out of the cloud and get that amazing view!

But man..what's a guy to do..I have a shocker on the Powerscourt Uphill.. blow up, do 139% of the winner's time and get 74th... and then run a much better race last night... 128% of the winner's time and I'm only bloody 71st! :confused: :rolleyes:

Still it's a start...guess I need to do some of that whole "running in between races" thing that so many people seem to think helps

Respect to the volunteers...frozen at the start, rained on and then eaten alive by midges.

As to Footwear, I'm loving the Walsh PB Elite Boots: http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/walsh-pb-elite-boot.htm?brand=1

together with the auld ankle braces I haven't gone over on my ankle at all (touch wood) and feel a lot stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The first aider was kept busy at the finish wasn't she ! Add myself to the list of victims. Took a while to get my running legs but settled into a nice rhythm and basically fell down the first descent, I forgot how steep that is. On the grassy/boggy descent after that as I was going by someone I stepped in what turned out to be a deeper than I expected bit of bog throwing me off balance. I slid along the grass, my face looking like it had an appointment with a big boulder before I managed to get up on time. My knee wasn't so lucky but the main thing is the people I had just passed didn't catch me when I was down. It's quite sore now but an ice pack seems to have prevented any swelling.

Good race, liked the course and had a nice forward and backward battle from the bottom of the first descent with a guy who had the legs on me on the final run to the finish.

Great template last night provided by Brendan Lawlor+team with more of the same to come next week;

Parking field - donation to farmer/charity
    Official Early Start race promoted and availed of at sign-on
    Up+down a proper mountain
    Good big pub afterwards

Anyone I met coming the other way on the section before/after the loop was in the wrong race, both the faster early starters and the slower normal starters, the first two early starters were flying.

The only thing I would change for next year is the direction of running the loop, much easier to encourage everyone to stick to the mountain meatheal path going up it. Ohh and get a river at the finish line too please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I thought that was a great race last night. I just about arrived in the nick of time following a mad dash around in my car looking for the start. Thankfully I made it!

I love running on nice soft boggy ground as I dont have to worry too much about falling - and I did go over at one point on the downhill.

MY big problem was that my lace broke close to the summit and I probably lost 5 or 6 places running tentatively trying to keep my shoe on. - Dont worry goHard, you wont go by me so easily next time!

I finished 30th but cant help thinking about a potential 23rd or so that could have been mine. Ah well, next time...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I thought that was a great race last night. I just about arrived in the nick of time following a mad dash around in my car looking for the start. Thankfully I made it!

I love running on nice soft boggy ground as I dont have to worry too much about falling - and I did go over at one point on the downhill.

MY big problem was that my lace broke close to the summit and I probably lost 5 or 6 places running tentatively trying to keep my shoe on. - Dont worry goHard, you wont go by me so easily next time!

I finished 30th but cant help thinking about a potential 23rd or so that could have been mine. Ah well, next time...:)

Broken lace? Yeah right. When I cruised past you, you were putting in 100% effort and your laces looked fine. In fact, I remember thinking at the time, 'That chap's laces are tied really tight.'

I came in 29th. ;)

Advertisement