Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I do have one request, a 7 minute lead in for a record, that they genuinely didn't know they were going to break until 1 km out from the finish appears not to be enough tension to send a woman sick of being fat over the edge. Could you cut it a bit closer next time so that I actually have to serve the eviction notice on my squatter!
    If it's any consolation as the day wore on and I grew weary I was close to going into labour for fear of fooking things up for Paul. I'm just glad it never came to that. I can still smell his feet after the change of socks at ironbridge though, he owes us big time for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Avonbeg
    Runners|Reports|%
    36|7|19.4

Bray Head
    Runners|Reports|%
    294|1|0.3

Well, I know which side of IMRA I prefer . . . .

Gullabo_Sweden_wooden_stirring_spoon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Hmmm, a good challenge would be to run a marathon quicker than your circuit of Avonbeg time. No, actually that would be a very hard challenge..

Bray Head was a nice race but I think when you give an entire day to an epic like C of A you really are more likely to want to share the love.

The upcoming Ballinastoe race should be a good mini-epic race, it's ages since I ran down that steeper side of Djouce at race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

jeffontour wrote: »
    If it's any consolation as the day wore on and I grew weary I was close to going into labour for fear of fooking things up for Paul. I'm just glad it never came to that. I can still smell his feet after the change of socks at ironbridge though, he owes us big time for that one!

Jeff my feet smell of roses :D that issue is due to the minimalist approach and not normally wearing socks. The next step is to do the run barefoot while wearing only a g- string. More than my feet you would be worried about then!!

Jo you could include yourself for special mention for all your help too. I was starting to worry as the day went on that I would have a lot of explaining to do if you did serve that eviction notice... Not exactly the best location to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Peterx wrote: »
    Hmmm, a good challenge would be to run a marathon quicker than your circuit of Avonbeg time. No, actually that would be a very hard challenge...

Its actually a very valid comparison. My time last year is marginally quicker than my marathon best. So either I've overachieved then on CoA or underachieved in the marathon. I think I know the answer :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samscribbling

Hmmm, a good challenge would be to run a marathon quicker than your circuit of Avonbeg time. No, actually that would be a very hard challenge..

Nice benchmarking. Did 3:32 on saturday. First marathon in 3 weeks time. The challenge is set!

If you take the climb as 200m = 1km, the "flat" distance is 33.6km, in terrain.
    I can move faster in terrain than on road.

From experience, how difficult is it to hold max effort for a marathon? As in +90%? I can't really compare due to avoiding road races.

My average effort was 90.4%, I believe its possible to hold 95-97% without going lactic so its possible to go 11:23mins faster. Take better lines and you can take off 1.2km (or 6:52mins)... which gives a total time of 18:15mins faster.
    So its possible to run Avonbeg in 2:18 with out specific training, just doing a bit of mountain running.

Even with extreme dedication and training, I wouldn't hit 2:18 for a marathon.
    (thinks about it for a second....)... not that I wouldn't try

(Any ideas what Aonghus O'C ran for a marathon?)

Avonbeg is easier than a marathon is what I'm trying to say. Maybe 15-20mins

200m = 1 kilometre is only guessing though.
    1 uphill road kilometre into a headwind=1.12 flat Km, ho hum..

Tonite should be gas craic, paintastic lactic agonies of heart rending suffering await..breaking 6min/km pace will be an achievement.

Tonite should be gas craic

Exsqueeze me???!!

I'm dreading the thought of tonight. There's a reason I've not raced this route before.

I. Hate. Climbing.

Looking forward to a handy jog back down though.

Exsqueeze me???!!

I'm dreading the thought of tonight. There's a reason I've not raced this route before.

Awh, but you don't even take in Maulin :P

using the excuse of study to avoid been destroyed on an uphill only

• Advertisement

Debating whether to head down to the munster champs race in the Knockmealdowns on Sunday. Thats quite a climb and gradient. Anyone ran there before?

Debating whether to head down to the munster champs race in the Knockmealdowns on Sunday. Thats quite a climb and gradient. Anyone ran there before?

Ran Walked that route in the Beast of BallyH a few years ago. Although we went onwards to Cnoc na Faille shiver

What I remember is the SugarLoaf is steep, very steep. But the going was good underfoot. Over towards Knockmealdown itself, I remember that the drop into the valley looks class, again, runnability was pretty good.

Should be a class run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Looking forward to a handy jog back down though.
    I really struggled with this jog down. :o
    My legs were so shot at the summit, they just died when they saw the downhill.

The view up there was something to savour :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good weather for it tonight. Was reminded this was on this afternoon and was raging have wanted to do this one especially for a couple of years. Next year I'll be good on hills and I'll ace it... :D

664m climb in 6k. Yikes. This was tough, but oddly enjoyable. Didn't hang around for the views. Was cold at the top and just wanted to get back and the run back is longer than you'd want. Thanks to the volunteers this evening of all evenings. Not easy organising a finish on a windswept hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Disappointed I missed this one. Left Sandyford ant 5.45 and was still stuck on M50 an hour later. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so frustrating.

Legs are fairly empty this morning. I bailed on the run in to work and biked instead.

Last night I thought afterwards that I had not given all I could. I was wrong, I'm broken today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Me to PeterX at the base of the first climb 'Do you think we'll catch any of them?'
    PeterX responsed 'maybe 2 or 3'.
    We had a quick laugh, I'm guessing we were outside the top 30 at that stage.

Running up alongside the river on the second climb last night was somehow very tranquil, the urgency of the mad dash at the start had passed. My pace was comfortable and those in front were being accommodating to passing manoeuvres. The run around Maulin and down to the Dargle was a nice breather before the real work began. Up by the wall and out to the open. There's that grassy stretch where I'd a target man coming back and a fair tail wind. Running (almost) felt easy.

The final climb wasn't so pleasant, I was under pressure from behind and from the voice in my head demanding the runner in front be put behind. This was 100% racing effort, more mental than physical. No quitting, no settling back, no keeping things under control. Alas, I closed up to him but ran out of mountain.

Very happy with the run, did what I wanted to, paced even, finished strong and ran it all.
    But uphill is still only that horrible bit that makes the downhill what it is.

The most reassuring thing I saw all night was positivNegative running beside me at the start - as noted in my IMRA race report:)

On another note - Munster Wednesday league is go go go for any non-Dublin centric folk out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

IMRA site down yet again. They should get on facebook and twitter until problems are solved and after indeed.

Anyone have a top 5 from last night?

• Advertisement

It always crashes after the Leinster Leagues.... ~200 people all want their result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

T runner wrote: »
    IMRA site down yet again. They should get on facebook and twitter until problems are solved and after indeed.

Word got around that Slogger Jogger was not volunteering at a race. The site couldn't handle the amount of disbelieving viewers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

ocnoc wrote: »
    It always crashes after the Leinster Leagues.... ~200 people all want their result

200 users is a trivial number. There must be some weak link in the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Very quick and loose results as send to me by Richie Healy yesterday:

1. Ian Conroy
    2. Tom Hogan
    3. Peter O'Farrell
    4. Richie Healy
    5. Brian Furey
    6. John Brennan
    7. Jason Kehoe
    8. Paul Nolan
    9. Des Kennedy
    10. Bernard Fortune

Top-4 women were Emma Donlon, Jenny McAuley, Aoife Joyce and, I think, Sonja Fuhrmann in that order. Donna Mahon moved to the short course during the race.

Compilation of the race results must be a nightmare, particularly if there is disqualifying to happen for those reckoned to be without rain cover. Cue detailed analysis of the photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the pleasantries of the Connacht Champs. I surprised myself after the incident with the car at the Omagh half-marathon, but I have been doing a particular training exercise/programme that works wonders in weeks. I am looking forward to the European Trials and hope to see everyone there.
    All the best.
    Rob

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do Carrantouhil as I will be away that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

So Carrauntohill. Just how gnarly is it? Thinking of giving it a go. Read last year's race reports and it sounds like a tough challenge.

Think I'm ready for it :eek

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    So Carrauntohill. Just how gnarly is it?

Very

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Compilation of the race results must be a nightmare, particularly if there is disqualifying to happen for those reckoned to be without rain cover. Cue detailed analysis of the photos...

Its about 30 mins to 45 for that number assuming all race day regs are already inputed. Dont know if anyobe was DNFed yet. Have to wait till works finished ofcourse presumably so early yesterday evening was very good speed. An imra presence on Facebook and/or twitter would be handy just for Champ races or the likes of last night where result updates will be slow especially when the website is having trouble.

Facebook would be especially useful for updates. You can have a feed to the site.
    Also, If there was a a change of plan for a race or a message like avoid Ballaghdereen if possible, then Twitter and mobiles will get almost everyone.

• Advertisement

Anyone elses time for the Wednesday sufferfest about 30 seconds more than they clocked? I'm guessing it's just a case of the race starting a little after the watch did.

Advertisement