Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Race report = volunteering?

If so, can I get mine back logged :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If theres no volunteers to organise the race then the race report on same should be very short. Some people. Trying to scrape by with doing the absolute minimum. :mad:

A Scarr RD has been proposed.

There are rumors, vicious vicious rumors that its a new course. No markings. A JCB was brought in is well, with fast growing heather... and boulders... and bog holes... many many bog holes.

And Mist! Lots of mist

Should spice things up :P

@cnoc. And while they are at it they should add in a few more false summits. Not enough of them on Scarr :)

If I could move the LL down my way I'll happily RD another race. The way the rain has been falling we could lose runners in the mud thats gathering on my training route.

Can we set the imra laptop up for self registration to take the onus off the laptop operator. Technology and bad weather and big numbers etc don't really go well together.

Can we set the imra laptop up for self registration to take the onus off the laptop operator..

You'd think its idiot proof, until you remember just how ingenious idiots can be!!
    Someone, somehow, would crash the system and you would lose a hell of a lot of data.

Even if it has never happened before, someone would pull it off!

• Advertisement

*** Take advice below with a pinch of salt. Author is known to be crazy***

If the ground is dry heading up Camenabologue, it maybe beneficial going around the valley (T029978) between table track and Conavalla and running hard and fast.

However, if the ground is wet going up Camenabologue, make a bee line for the track heading down into Glenmulure. Where the track bends (T025 968) leave the track and head for T030 970, then head straight for the summit which is further south than you think.

If you don't do this, you may get sucked into the bog and peat hags in the area. You will not keep good speed. I guarantee it.

Regardless of conditions, leaving Conavalla, man the f**k up and head directly east until you hit the ridge. Don't flap around. Go straight. Not worth the extra distance by running around. The peat hags don't last for long.

Good hunting gentlemen

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

ocnoc wrote: »
    Regardless of conditions, leaving Conavalla, man the f**k up ...... The peat hags don't last for long.

Heh, that's the attitude! Gentlemen, I am your last marshall in the Saddle between Lugduff and Mullacor. I expect to see y'all kicking ass and taking names! :D

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Hi all, the day is rapidly approaching that pablo t will have us(his support crew) up before the crack of dawn as he attempts to set a new record for running the Wicklow Way. Below are some rough estimates on when he aims to be at some points. If you’re along the route at all it would be great to have you shout encouragement, abuse or anything else that you’d like really!

He will also be delighted for anyone to run a section with him. If you think you’d like to plan to run a section in advance let me know.

Here’s hoping the weather stays kind to us and we see some of you along the way in mild warmth and gentle sunshine.

Jeff

Start 04:00 Saturday 14th May.

Curtlestown wood car park 06:00
    Ballinfunshogue Forest 08:00
    Glendalough Visitor Centre 10:00
    Ironbridge 12.05
    T 020 743 14.05
    S 922 683 T Junction after route leaves forest (Aghowle River) 16.45

Its rare you see a LL race as close as the one last night. Great finish and cracking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll be bringing a head torch next time for the Forest of Doom, twas mighty dark in there on the return. Tougher than I expected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Yeah it was near pitch balck coming back down through the forest alright! Enjoyed the race though, nice fast downhill!

Nice to meet you last night too Slooger!

great race...man 1 second between first and second place!? Insane! Anothe bonus of volunteering is definitely getting to see the sharp end of the race!

That pitch dark tunnel really caught me off guard.

And I know it's not going to be a popular position....but I kinda miss the fire-road section :-):cool:

Great race though..I think it's my favourite route on the LL...plenty of room for overtaking, all runnable, beautiful route...soft and muddy descent

Gotta say though..I bottled the hurdling of the barrier on the weay back down :o I didn't have it in me...next year...next year...

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Haha, we were laughing about the gate after. After flying down hill and getting throught black forest all in one piece it would be sods law that you went flat on your face over a gate!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race. Really enjoyed it.

Looks like it was a great finish, hopefully one of the lads will write a report.

Those who didn't vault the gate should have ten seconds added to their time for bringing shame on their fellow hill runners. Imagine if a road runner sees a grizzly runner emerging from the woods, covered in muck, dazzled by daylight, and then stuttering before the barrier before daintly straddling the gate. For shame. Faceplant or glory.

I enjoyed the race for the most part, most of it was runnable. Got to the top in not too bad a shape and was lucky enough to be overtaken by a great descender very early on. Was a great lesson into how to descend and I made huge time on the descent by hanging on to him to record my best IMRA result, top 30.

I preferred the altered route as the tunnel made things interesting.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was a great lesson into how to descend and I made huge time on the descent by hanging on to him to record my best IMRA result, top 30.

Jesus nerraw...I just looked you up on the IMRA site (OK, OK I'm nosey) You are having a SAVAGE year! :eek:

A finish placing 53 positions better in Prince Williams' Seat this year, compared to last year?! More than halving your average placing in the races this year compared to last year?

Let us in on the secret! Any particular training? Just more runs? :confused:

I'm not surprised you hurdled the gate..it looks like you barely touched down at all during that race!

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ar Strae wrote: »

Get your older brother to join the league, there's nothing like a bit of family competition to bring out the best in people, he'll catch him one day
    ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Well done to all!

Apart from being shorter than expected, it was a grand evening out :)
    The one thing I did manage...was hurdling the barrier...the return through forest was awful, my eyes are slow to adjust :)

I'm a slow downhiller...ankle preservation and the need to be physically able to work following day means I don't take extra risks :)

About 15 passed me on way down :o

Won't be a problem next week...but the climb will be!

This was my first IMRA race for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I took part in the race held in Clare Glens. Can't acces the IMRA site to get more info...... Is the site down or is just me????

baza1976 wrote: »
    I took part in the race held in Clare Glens. Can't acces the IMRA site to get more info...... Is the site down or is just me????

It's not just you...the site's been inaccessible for large chunks of yesterday and today I'm afraid. They're sorting out some teething problems with the new servers and so on I guess.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Excellent course last night, had a bit of everything really.
    Was blind as a bat in the forest near the finish, could have done with the glasses.
    Made sure to leap the barrier at the end, would have made a great sopt for pics if the photographer had been present :)

Next week is crazy, tried to plot something close to the route on gmaps, makes it look even more daunting...
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4500413

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Was indeed a great course last night, but I lost alot of places in the forest coming back down.Would love to have seen the front of the pack on that stretch,I'm sure they threw themselves down it.Need to find the correct balance between being less cautious so I can improve my downhill but cautious enough that I don't break something:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Great race last night. I feel the same about adjusting to the light going back into the tunnel. It was crazy!

I havent seen the official results (site down again?) but I think I was first boards guy back. I cant take the pressure. Come back Slogger/Jeff/Enduro and Gohard. I'm not meant to be first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I copied the results into an excel doc this morning,due to the temperamental nature of the site. Frustrating when you can't get onto it the day after a race;)Here goes...

Baz wrote:
    There was mutual respect down the dangerous descent through the gully and forest, with no one making a move – preventing injury a priority for both.

You get injured when you hold back.... Fear :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Jesus nerraw...I just looked you up on the IMRA site (OK, OK I'm nosey) You are having a SAVAGE year! :eek:

A finish placing 53 positions better in Prince Williams' Seat this year, compared to last year?! More than halving your average placing in the races this year compared to last year?

I'm not surprised you hurdled the gate..it looks like you barely touched down at all during that race!

Ro

LOL. cheers Ro. Haven't done a huge amount different. Just a decent winter of training. Last year, I was new to the IMRA game and didn't really have a decent base. Enjoying this year's racing

I am looking for some feedback and ideas on a possible new IMRA race (Wicklow Glacial Lakes) that would involve a route taking in the various glacial and high mountain lakes in Wicklow. Please note that the Committee has not yet discussed this idea and issues such as: have IMRA the capacity to take on and sustain another race etc. require careful consideration.

The lakes in mind are:
    • Lough Bray Upper and Lower
    • Lough Tay
    • Lough Dan
    • Lough Cleevaun
    • Lough Ouler
    • Lough Nahanagan
    • Lough Firrib
    • Three Lakes
    • Arts Lough
    • Kelly’s Lough
    • Glendalough Upper and Lower Lakes

There may not be water-edge access at some of these lakes.

A route starting at Lough Bray Upper and ending at Glendalough would be around 70 kilometres. A route starting and finishing at the same lake would be longer. Some lakes could be omitted.

Possible race formats vary from: mass start; Wicklow Round; Lug and Wicklow relays etc.

My own preference would be for a relay format with possible change over points at Lough Tay, on the Sally Gap to Laragh Road, at the Wicklow Gap, in Glenmalure etc. So 5-6 legs with each team responsible for the safety of its runners with one runner teams allowed. Others prefer a Round which is much less formal and less demanding from a volunteer perspective.

If you have any feedback, please post it to the forum or email me directly.

This sounds awesome! Like awesome awesome!! Like epically awesome!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ocnoc wrote: »
    This sounds awesome! Like awesome awesome!! Like epically awesome!
    :D

Defo some potential for relay madness there. Which has me thinking about Stone Cross to Lug. I wonder could we muster 2 or 3 teams this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

jeffontour wrote: »
    Defo some potential for relay madness there. Which has me thinking about Stone Cross to Lug. I wonder could we muster 2 or 3 teams this year?

I know leg 2 from last year is champing at the bit. Leg 3 is waiting a year for the chance to redeem himself navigationally.

It would be great if we could get a few BAC teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Great race last night. I feel the same about adjusting to the light going back into the tunnel. It was crazy!

I havent seen the official results (site down again?) but I think I was first boards guy back. I cant take the pressure. Come back Slogger/Jeff/Enduro and Gohard. I'm not meant to be first!!

So how did team Boards do? Are there team prizes for the LL and other imra leagues?

• Advertisement

It would be great if we could get a few BAC teams.

Before you ask, or even dream of asking, the answer is no :)

Advertisement