Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'd like to be able to agree with bazman- personal responsibility, freedom, adequate race preparation; should all play a large part in hill running. However, the one time I RD'd a race, I was reminded of the "mé fein"-ism of individual's, than can affect the collective.

Annagh Hill- mandatory kit listed on website, I got a call from the summit marshall on the morning that kit should be carried. So I posted it up at registration, shouted it out to everyone, and told the assembled runners 15 mins before the start that kit would be required. Cue several runners coming to me saying they had never heard of this requirement, no-one told them to bring a jacket, they never saw anything on the website... etc. A few runners indignantly told me they were experienced, and didn't need a jacket. I explained it was mandatory, they repeated they would be fine. So a few minutes to go before the start, and I'm arguing with runners, having to threaten disqualification before they run back and get jackets. On the day itself, we had one of the more serious incidents of late (broken leg), and the (vastly experienced) runner had his jacket on while slowly coming down the hill.

It's very stressful RD'ing, so much so that I don't know if I'd do it again, and having to argue with experienced runners that they my call as RD is a jacket is necessary, added to the stress. Having a mandatory kit for all races, that should be brought (I'd also say carried) to all races no matter what, helps protect the RD from arguing the toss on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Ban the winter league, keep the kit requirements as they are.

The winter league is where ocnoc's over the top dire warnings about hypothermia are most likely to take place.
    Hillrunning is a summer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

As I said before, RD decisions have to be respected and if the current culture is to ignore or challenge RDs then I'll concede that something has to change. It's not a 'real' change - just a communication issue ...

All we need is to say that everyone going to any IMRA race should have 'potential' mandatory kit in the car. No more excuses of not seeing website. Perhaps an appropriate jacket as a LL prize to communicate the message?

As for winter races - there are additional risks. Force people to run cross country! :) Risks can be minimised by using solely trails and cancelling race in very poor conditions - that should happen at any time of year.

I do remember being RD in the snow and didn't feel the need for mandatory kit. The #1 risk with hill running is tripping and hitting your head off a rock - actually happened when I was RD of the Man v Bike race (one of the reasons if hasn't been rescheduled). Don't think mandatory kit really helps here - what I would hate to see is a rule appropriate for 5% of races being to 100% of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

bazman wrote: »
    As I said before, RD decisions have to be respected and if the current culture is to ignore or challenge RDs then I'll concede that something has to change. It's not a 'real' change - just a communication issue ...

All we need is to say that everyone going to any IMRA race should have 'potential' mandatory kit in the car. No more excuses of not seeing website. Perhaps an appropriate jacket as a LL prize to communicate the message?

As for winter races - there are additional risks. Force people to run cross country! :) Risks can be minimised by using solely trails and cancelling race in very poor conditions - that should happen at any time of year.

I do remember being RD in the snow and didn't feel the need for mandatory kit. The #1 risk with hill running is tripping and hitting your head off a rock - actually happened when I was RD of the Man v Bike race (one of the reasons if hasn't been rescheduled). Don't think mandatory kit really helps here - what I would hate to see is a rule appropriate for 5% of races being to 100% of races.

I think that is a good idea. I dont get how people can get the hump over being told to carry a jacket. If the weather/conditions are bad you'd think people would have the common sense to realise its for their own safety!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Like it, or not, our sport has grown to the point where liability attaches to sending runners off into the hills. It is pretty easy to deal with.

As RD for the Plod last year I got a good lesson in risk managment from the Guards:

1. Assess risk before event. Decide on any steps you can take to minimise risk. e.g. mandatory kit list, marshals, marking, evacuation, etc.

2. Put in place mitigation steps. Safety briefing, spot checks.

3. Review what happened. Incident reports, post mortem (so to speak ;) )

Once you've done that, you are covered. If someone gets hypothermia, or gets lost, or falls off a cliff you can point back at the steps above to absolve the association from any claim of negligence. You also have done all you could to prevent accident or injury.

Arguing with runners, or DNFing them is optional :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I personally always bring a rain jacket with me in the car, even if it's not mandatory I like to have it in case it's either cold or rainy when I get to the start. If you were to take notice of all these 'it's going to happen eventually' warnings you'd never leave the house.

At Anagh Hill couldn't the people I saw complain about not having a jacket, as was said it was mentioned god knows how many times. And looking out the window before you left that morning common sense would have told you to bring one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

All we need is to say that everyone going to any IMRA race should have 'potential' mandatory kit in the car. No more excuses of not seeing website.
    iamjenko wrote: »
    I think that is a good idea. I dont get how people can get the hump over being told to carry a jacket. If the weather/conditions are bad you'd think people would have the common sense to realise its for their own safety!!

That's what I suggested.
    What better way to help then have a standard list of equipment expected to be brought to every race which the RD (in consultation with IMRA ie committee member/safety officer) then reduces down to what's needed on the day.

Now. Can someone explain to me how Seefingan, a 12km open mountain 'league' race starting 3 hours before dark is less risky than Tonlagee and the Lake, a 6 km 'championship' race that started at midday?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Now. Can someone explain to me how Seefingan, a 12km open mountain 'league' race starting 3 hours before dark is less risky than Tonlagee and the Lake, a 6 km 'championship' race that started at midday?

Red & white tape. Sure what could go wrong once there's red & white tape in abundance?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

When I said ALL mountain races, I forgot that imra also does trail races etc.
    Races in forests or on trails that are sheltered should not need mandatory kit.

However, all races that go onto open mountain should have a mandatory kit requirement.
    The winter league is where ocnoc's over the top dire warnings about hypothermia are most likely to take place.
    Hillrunning is a summer game.

No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong kit :)
    Risks can be minimised by using solely trails and cancelling race in very poor conditions - that should happen at any time of year.

With all due respect, FCUK THAT!!! Just trails? Are you for real?
    Cancelling due to poor weather?!
    Sh1t conditions are the most fun. Running down a peat haggy boggy sh1tty ground descent at breakneck speed in zero vis is the most awesome buzz!

There is a difference between trail running and mountain running.
    Last time I looked it was IMRA not ITRA

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

ocnoc wrote: »
    Last time I looked it was IMRA not ITRA

Yes but it is the ITRA league (AKA the Leinster League) that is the most popular league and the one that raises all the money to pay all the bills!

Plus IMRA ran a few Irish Trail Championship races a number of years back. To best of my knowledge there isn't an organisation that organises Trail races. With the popularity of running I think that there is room for something in the lines of IMRA but just for trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Perhaps an appropriate jacket as a LL prize to communicate the message?

I like that idea...largely because the jacket I have at the moment is pretty skanky :)

As for the eejits at Annagh Hill arguing that they didn't need a jacket because they were experienced runners :rolleyes:

Failure to abide by the RD's rules on the day is an instant DNF. No question, no appeal. I was on cash at Annagh Hill and it was made very clear at registration that jackets were required.

Everyone moves at the same pace once they're injured. And with an experienced fit runner probably having a lot less body fat than an inexperienced one they are MORE susceptible to hypothermia. :D

So I think we should only insist that the fit front 30 runners or so carry jackets. No need for us plodders to bother.

And of course if we made those jackets extra-heavy down jackets just to be sure...

Safety first after all!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm in agreement with ocnoic and PositiveNegative on this one. One thing that always puzzles me though is having gloves on the mandatory kit list :confused: Surely the priority is to maintain core body temperature, not to keep one's peripheral digits nice and comfy?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Ar Strae wrote: »
    And of course if we made those jackets extra-heavy down jackets just to be sure...

Proper down jackets are awesome... they pack up really small, are really light, keep you really warm and are all in all a class piece of kit...

If you want to buy me on Ro, I'd carry it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hmmm, whats to be said to Charlies post on the imra forum. Mountain vandalism is a bit extreme. Are some people ever positive? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Hmmm, whats to be said to Charlies post on the imra forum. Mountain vandalism is a bit extreme. Are some people ever positive? :(

Yeah, OTT hope he returns the stones that get stuck his shoes on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Peterx wrote: »

What would you do in the winter then - you only ran 4 out of the 5 races :p

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Open invite to IMRA runners...

I just finished my first AL race in Scotland yesterday... Think circuit of Avonbeg with more climb. It was a great experience in some spectacular mountains. ocnoc would need a word that's more epic then epic! If any IMRA runners are looking for an adventure let me know. I'm living in Glasgow these days and am willing to provide a couch/bedding and transport to almost any race...

Carrauntoohil is a monster. Fair play to you guys who ran times south of 1:30. Unreal.

My little man on my Carrauntoohil finishing memento broke off in transit on the way home. Echoes how I feel. Broken :) But whats broken can be repaired..

great stuff guys..any chance of a picture of one of the mementos so us non-runners can see one?

Ro

I had to repair mine a bit but its still in good shape. I like it.

5804211224_082a3555b8_z.jpg

• Advertisement

that's class!!! Brilliant. Well earned guys..

Fab photos up on imra site. Really captures the spirit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Savage race yesterday - really enjoyable. It's a while since I've done some proper open mountain stuff. Certainly a more technical course than the old route - slower I reckon.

Respect to Jason - he just wanted it more than anyone else - demonstrated by his busted knee. Given summit positions I fancied Bernard at the top, but perhaps he suffered from wearing racing flats. It was great to witness the descending battle - some crazy stuff. Seemed very fast - hard to believe the quickest are only descending at 8min mile pace. As for my descent - the less said the better - think I needed the race to turn at cahir :) Will need get the potential for injuries out of my head before descending an open mountain quickly again ...

Never one to be doing work when I don't need to I spent a very wise 19.99 at the weekend. I'm delighted to be in such an exclusive club!

wicklowround.jpg

classic!! Yeah, man I always thought Wicklow Rounders were pansies to be honest....

Just heard on Newstalk news that a runner at tonight's race had to be taken off the hill by mountain rescue. Hope it was not too serious and that nobody from these parts was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

jeffontour wrote: »
    Just heard on Newstalk news that a runner at tonight's race had to be taken off the hill by mountain rescue. Hope it was not too serious and that nobody from these parts was involved.

Oh, yeah? What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Donny5 wrote: »
    Oh, yeah? What happened?

http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2614/

I'm surprised it made it to the news ha. Unfortunate that it happened, but these are the risks of hill running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Timmaay wrote: »
    http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2614/

I'm surprised it made it to the news ha. Unfortunate that it happened, but these are the risks of hill running!

Ah, that's a shame. It's all part of the charm of IMRA races, though. That little bit of danger to spice it up, especially where I'm to be found towards the back of the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Odhran runs under the banner of Boards AC. Get well soon, Odhran. Hope it's not as painful as it sounds.

Advertisement