Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft discussion ***EVERYBODY READ POST 965***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good to see a lot of votes coming in. I've more than half of eligible votes now and will hopefully get the remainder later. I don't begin counting until I've all the votes in but from what I can tell from skimming the ones so far, this could be very tight indeed so the more votes I get in the better.

Here's some more feedback on shows...

Bounty Hunter:BWA King of the Ring - The song for the video suited it perfectly. I really liked the opening angle with JYD. You've made him one of the more sympathetic figures in the game with your storyline which I've liked from the beginning. I enjoyed the wrestling mix of Japanese and US styles which gave great value. Nice booking for the women's match too. Interesting how women's wrestling didn't feature prominently this year. I enjoyed the King vs King bout too. The angle with Leno, Lashley surprised me and again shows great use of your celeb acquisition. Good to see
    Jerry Lawler win KOTR
    and I enjoyed the main event bout too. I liked your reasoning behind your decisions and you'd certainly get a lot of mainstream publicity for your show Overall I think your BWA definitely stands out as one of the most gritty, Attitude era-style shows and I've been very impressed at how you made your picks stand out character-wise.

Ger. C: PWF Premiermania - Some hype video for the PPV. Mickey Harte. I laughed hysterically when the Taker and McCool pics came on with that tune playing. Dunno why. Anyways I really enjoyed the PPV.
    Poor Evans couldn't get the job done. I liked Taz's line to him after.
    Also enjoyed the Abyss/Abdullah match. LOL at Razor and the toothpick. Nice to see what happened to him. The War Games match was well done too. I predicted the wrong team to win. I liked the Taz/Homicide match also. Poor Layla. Good to see
    Taker get his win in the main event
    . Wow, Hell in da Mel - perhaps that was the real main event for me actually and a very shocking ending but fair play though Ger on
    doing the job
    . Another strong showing from the reigning champ.

thebostoncrab: Fusion Pro Wrestling 'A New Level' - I enjoyed the event and particularly
    Batista getting what was coming to him at last
    . That was one of my favourite angles that you had done. I also was impressed with how you wrote the Cabana/Dusty match which was believable and I think well done with the finish. Very surprising and gutsy ending to your show that had me stunned along with the fans and wanting to see what happened next. You've done a great job of using your picks and your main event angle has been well worked out since the beginning. Thumbs up.

Furious-Red: FCW Wrestlemania - I really enjoyed your weekly show build for your event, particularly involving Sheamus, Morrison, Rey and Mercury. I was pleased you got the write-up in as I had wanted to see particularly how those matches would end. Surprised on both counts but I liked how they were booked and good to see
    Morrison put over strongly
    . Strong contribution.

JP Liz: LWE Mayhem - A hot opener to your show and a win that pleased me. I've enjoyed the Del Rio/Chavo feud. Nice women's match as well. One of the strongest women's matches in the game I'd say. You also have a very strong tag title division and that match and the World Title match were well done. The stip for the World Title match was unique and I'm sure those two would have a great Iron Man match. Very surprising ending there too.
    Stephanie is a tough lady to please I guess
    . Tough night for Piper too. Overall I really enjoyed your show and feel you put in a much stronger showing this year. I had also enjoyed your weekly build too. Well done.

I think I still have feedback to give on Cactus, Slick, and Dare 2 Defy's shows which I hope to do later. Hope I haven't missed anybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

glad to see a lot of feedback coming not and not only for myself though im always greatfull. The talk of the high standard is really true, I mean I honestly wouldnt be shocked if someone outside my top 7 made the top 3 or even won it this year. fair play lads (& Liz). All depends on how quickly the winner / placings are announced but i hope to finish off the feedback on the other rosters ive yet to mention (some of which I voted for) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i voted, and my God, that was genuinely incredibly tough, as has been said by multiple people at this stage.

i'm looking forward to the awards, because as Flah said, i think people who i didn't vote for deserve to be recognised for some of the work they've done.

i shudder at the prospect of a 'Feud of The Year' category in particular...so many feuds have been wonderfully conceived and articulated.

i'll have feedback tomorrow probably....maybe some tonight. i love feedback being given personally, and not only on my show. it adds something to get so many points of view on people's rosters and PPVs.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i voted, and my God, that was genuinely incredibly tough, as has been said by multiple people at this stage.

i'm looking forward to the awards, because as Flah said, i think people who i didn't vote for deserve to be recognised for some of the work they've done.

i shudder at the prospect of a 'Feud of The Year' category in particular...so many feuds have been wonderfully conceived and articulated.

I honestly think new awards should be added to show the recognition for those who deserve it, maybe split a few awards, like main event and undercard or tag feuds of the year. If wanted you could still do an award for overall feud of the year.

Do think it's a good point MNG (maybe someone else) made about the lack of women used. I'd say the tag limit rule affected that as no longer were many dual diva picks made. i.e Awesome Kong never got picked but the last two years she was in my BWA promotion along with Aja Kong now of TBC's roster.

wonder how many storylines will mirror reality too, got a serious JYD vibe watching Jeff Hardy the other night :pac:

I've 3/4 of the eligible votes now which is good.
    Do think it's a good point MNG (maybe someone else) made about the lack of women used. I'd say the tag limit rule affected that as no longer were many dual diva picks made. i.e Awesome Kong never got picked but the last two years she was in my BWA promotion along with Aja Kong now of TBC's roster.

Yeah I thought of that when reviewing the rosters. There seems to be far fewer women. Could be wrong but I don't think Manami Toyota was chosen this year who many regard as the greatest female wrestler ever. Seems like there was a shift away from trying to accommodate female wrestlers. I usually pick them but this year just took Sunny.

I tend to try and compare with Drafts of previous years but I was sick last week and never got a chance but I did record one interesting stat:
    - Stone Cold appears to be the most popular choice as he is the only guy to be chosen in the first five picks every year. The Rock and HBK are behind having been in the top 5 picks for 3 of the 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Sorry lads for not doing up a PPV this year but I really wasn't able to.

Firstly my laptops stops working as one of my mates destroyed the power jack.

Secondly I move house and have to much else to sort out so don't have the time.

And lastly I didn't and still don't have broadband in my house and was not going to do an entire PPV on phone like I had been doing to make my picks in the latter rounds.

I wish I had said this sooner and could have allowed someone to take my place and do a proper job of it but never expected to go this long without my laptop or broadband >:(

I even had some good ideas lined up - I was planning a feud between Michael Cole and Jessie Ventura after Cole gets Ventura sacked from commentary. Cole then hires Mark Henry to be his bodyguard leading to a Henry/Ventura match at the PPV with Cole in Henry's corner and Ventura's old Predator friend Arnold Schwarzenegger in his.

Danielson would take on Malenko in a 2 out of 3 falls match for the European Championship.

Goldberg would take on the Ultimate Warrior for the WTF Championship leading to some even more bizarre promos from the Warrior.

The Hart Dynasty would take on The Midnight Express for the Tag Team Championships.

Low Ki would take on Jimmy Snuka in a high flying either cage or ladder match.

D'lo Brown, Goldust and my mate LA Warren would make up the numbers for the house shows.

Whilst 'Classy' Freddie Blassie would be the respected GM.

Shame I never got a chance to do it.

I've 3/4 of the eligible votes now which is good.

Yeah I thought of that when reviewing the rosters. There seems to be far fewer women. Could be wrong but I don't think Manami Toyota was chosen this year who many regard as the greatest female wrestler ever. Seems like there was a shift away from trying to accommodate female wrestlers. I usually pick them but this year just took Sunny.

I tend to try and compare with Drafts of previous years but I was sick last week and never got a chance but I did record one interesting stat:

I think it might be a lil harder this year with the first two rounds split into different special rounds where certain years of debut were only allowed.

I liked this tbh and would suggest similar again next year, I mean imagine if the deceased wrestler round was rd1. Misawa, Owen Hart, The Bulldogs, Eddy etc all joining the ones already available in that round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I was shocked no one picked Kong, probaby the best female in the world at the moment and as you say MNG Toyota is an absolute legend. In general there was a drop in demand for Japanese talent - no one else chose any of the Dragon Gate talent, or guys like Ibushi, all of who have had more exposure this year, not to mention legends like Tenryu, Fujinami.

I could've lived with a couple more rounds tbh!

Just read what I think are the last cards I'd yet to review:

Cactus Colm - Super main event match with Eddie and Savage. Great picks there. That equals ratings and match quality. One of the best tag team matches in the game too. Nice mix of Japanese, US and Mexican wrestlers. I could easily see myself ordering that show if I could.

Dare 2 Defy: DWO Annihilation - I liked the 'change your destiny' angle and the surprise ending at the end too. Hopefully Jeff wrestles for DWO better than he does for TNA! An entertaining card with lots of high-flying guys and worth bearing in mind that you had some rotten draws in the game so taking that into account you have done well to produce an enjoyable show. Fair play.

Slick: SWF: Desolution - Surprise move with the tag match which was cool and a very surprising finish with Hassan and Arn which was good too. Likewise with the Tully/Pillman match. Can't accuse you of being predictable. The main event was one I've looked forward to since the start and so I suppose it was fitting that I had it left til last. It delivered on my high hopes for it with
    the wily Jake finally getting defeated.
    You've had a strong build throughout and I'm sure this PPV would send fans home happy. Great job.

Now I have to spend the rest of the night trying to narrow it down to 7 and figure out the order I like best. Not going to be easy at all as I genuinely enjoyed elements of all rosters. I will be forced to omit shows I like but I suppose that's a great credit to the standard and what we want to see.

Quick question for you all. I had a top 7 from someone sent to me like so (selections omitted obviously):

7. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    6. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    5. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    4. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    3. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    2. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    1. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Would I be right in assuming that the number 1 spot is supposed to get the top marks? It wouldn't make sense for the one in seventh to be supposed to get the top score would it?

I am probably being overly cautious in asking but I don't want to make a mess of it and it was the only one sent to me in reverse order. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1. means top marks if it was my picks

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

glenjamin wrote: »
    Sorry lads for not doing up a PPV this year but I really wasn't able to.

Firstly my laptops stops working as one of my mates destroyed the power jack.

Secondly I move house and have to much else to sort out so don't have the time.

And lastly I didn't and still don't have broadband in my house and was not going to do an entire PPV on phone like I had been doing to make my picks in the latter rounds.

I wish I had said this sooner and could have allowed someone to take my place and do a proper job of it but never expected to go this long without my laptop or broadband >:(

I even had some good ideas lined up - I was planning a feud between Michael Cole and Jessie Ventura after Cole gets Ventura sacked from commentary. Cole then hires Mark Henry to be his bodyguard leading to a Henry/Ventura match at the PPV with Cole in Henry's corner and Ventura's old Predator friend Arnold Schwarzenegger in his.

Danielson would take on Malenko in a 2 out of 3 falls match for the European Championship.

Goldberg would take on the Ultimate Warrior for the WTF Championship leading to some even more bizarre promos from the Warrior.

The Hart Dynasty would take on The Midnight Express for the Tag Team Championships.

Low Ki would take on Jimmy Snuka in a high flying either cage or ladder match.

D'lo Brown, Goldust and my mate LA Warren would make up the numbers for the house shows.

Whilst 'Classy' Freddie Blassie would be the respected GM.

Shame I never got a chance to do it.

Sounds like it would have been an awesome ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

flahavaj wrote: »
    I was shocked no one picked Kong, probaby the best female in the world at the moment and as you say MNG Toyota is an absolute legend. In general there was a drop in demand for Japanese talent - no one else chose any of the Dragon Gate talent, or guys like Ibushi, all of who have had more exposure this year, not to mention legends like Tenryu, Fujinami.

I could've lived with a couple more rounds tbh!

I held back on using Puro guys, there are so many I would have used

Folks I can tell you this is looking extremely close indeed. I've 14 of the 17 eligible votes in and the last few could prove all important. Hopefully I will get all the votes in before I announce the winner tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Votes sent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Christ, it's really tough to only pick 7. Eventually sent mine

I'm pleased to report that I've 16 of the eligible 17 votes now. I will accept the votes of the final participant if I get them between now and the time I make the announcement if that is OK with everyone but if I don't see the final participant's vote before I announce it then I'll just have to push on. As I've said before I won't be holding things up waiting on votes. I do think 16 out of 17 is a pretty fine turnout so to speak.

I have yet to do the final count but from my observations it looks like being one of the closest finishes yet. I'll add it up when I log off and then recheck everything tomorrow before announcing the winner. As usual I'll reveal the breakdown of votes later in the day to make sure everything was added up correctly.

Hopefully it will be a fun day. P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day to everybody. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I'm pleased to report that I've 16 of the eligible 17 votes now. I will accept the votes of the final participant if I get them between now and the time I make the announcement if that is OK with everyone but if I don't see the final participant's vote before I announce it then I'll just have to push on. As I've said before I won't be holding things up waiting on votes. I do think 16 out of 17 is a pretty fine turnout so to speak.

I have yet to do the final count but from my observations it looks like being one of the closest finishes yet. I'll add it up when I log off and then recheck everything tomorrow before announcing the winner. As usual I'll reveal the breakdown of votes later in the day to make sure everything was added up correctly.

Hopefully it will be a fun day. P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day to everybody. :cool:

Around what time should we expect the result or else I be refreshing all day instead of getting drunk

campo wrote: »
    Around what time should we expect the result or else I be refreshing all day instead of getting drunk

I'll try and do it early enough. Since I might have a glass of something now I'd be hesistant to name a time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Have been crazy busy the last couple of weeks, so couldn't devote as much (or any) time to the draft as I would've hoped. But really enjoyed all the ppv's and picks, etc ... so good job to everyone!

And cheers to MNG for running it (and gimmick too, and whomever else did stuff)

• Advertisement

JP Liz: always a fan of your writing as I always find myself wondering whats next and not just for your notorious tbc... bits, The interaction between Piper, Jericho, Wolfe & Steph kept me interested and although i expected a twist thanks to Steph in the main event I didnt anticipate what happened. good build and PPV but damn the competition is hard.

Slick: What can I say about your roster, from the start of the picks you seemed a front runner and your PPV did not dissapoint. The SCSA/Jake, Hassan/Arn and George/Sapp feuds were the big ones for me and honestly i dont think i could have done better with these guys, despite that at one point I had designs on Sapp.

Spongey: Similarily to Slick your roster is packed full of stars and if anything you may have the most loaded main event scene going with numerous viable candidates for the main event scene. If anything that meant you were limited by the fact that you could only build to one PPV but the matches you chose such as Sting/Edge w/Stacey or Thesz vs Randy w/Bob Orton are bonefide main event matches we have and probably will never see, dream matches and the way you built them in such a short period makes you a contender.  

Walter: Your main feud made so much sense if only considering your feds name WECWF, okay it was minus the F but get the F out if your not interested in Heyman vs Bischoff, WCW vs ECW for control of a major player in the boards monday night wars. Combine that with a mega main event like world champ Kurt Angle taking on Andre the Giant and you may have a potential winner if not for the competition, especially when you consider the ndercard features people like Bockwinkle & Heenan together.

really hope i can finish off the rosters i haven made big comments on yet but alas the time difference and being busy...

I've all the eligible votes in now from everyone. Cheers to all. The final vote didn't change the outcome so no dramatic controversy thankfully but this is definitely the closest contest we have ever had. When you see the scores you will understand why I was very eager for all the votes.

I will check and recheck before doing up the scores.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

*Is nervous*

Honestly though, I'll be happy if I can just register in the top half of the competition <_<

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

5th, huh? Well happy with that, given it was my first year. Thanks to all who gave me votes, wherever they placed me :)

As promised here are the votes of the eligible participants. Top place was worth 10 pts, second place was worth 7 pts, 3rd place was worth 5 pts, 4th place was worth 4 pts, 5th place was worth 3 pts, 6th place was worth 2 pts and 7th place was worth 1 point.

Bounty Hunter

TBC: 1 = 10 pts
    Flah: 2 = 7 pts
    Voltwad: 3 = 5 pts
    Slick: 4 = 4 pts
    TSC: 5 = 3 pts
    Spongey: 6 = 2 pts
    MNG: 7 = 1 pt

Cactus Colm

1 = WalterSobchak - 10

2 - Teamshadowclan - 7

3 - DiesalQueen - 5

4 - FlahavaJ - 4

5 - BountyHunter - 3

6 = Spongey - 2

7 - MNG - 1

campo

1.BostonCrab - 10
    2.Waltersobshak - 7
    3.Mr.Nice Guy - 5
    4.Flah - 4
    5.Bounty Hunter - 3
    6.Slickric - 2
    7.Voltwad - 1

Dare 2 Defy

1. SlickRic - 10
    2. Ger - 7
    3. Flah - 5
    4. BH - 4
    5. Volt - 3
    6. Diabhal - 2
    7. tbc - 1

Diabhal Beag

1. Waltersobchak - 10
    2. Ger C - 7
    3. Thebostoncrab - 5
    4. Flah - 4
    5. Theshadowclan - 3
    6. Volt - 2
    7. MNG - 1

D.Q.

1. TheBostonCrab - 10
    2. Walt - 7
    3 Team Shadowclan - 5
    4 Mr Nice Guy - 4
    5 Flah - 3
    6 Ger - 2
    7 Diabhal - 1

flahavaj

1. Gerard. C - 10
    2. Spongey - 7
    3. Teadshadowclan - 5
    4. MNG - 4
    5. Voltwad - 3
    6. Slick Ric - 2
    7. Waltersobchack - 1

Furious-Red

1. JP Liz - 10
    2. Campo - 7
    3. Walter - 5
    4. The Boston Crab - 4
    5. Cactus colm - 3
    6. Slick - 2
    7. D2D - 1

Gerard.C

1 - Flah - 10
    2 - Walter - 7
    3 - Volt - 5
    4 - Diabhal - 4
    5 - mng - 3
    6 - bostoncrab - 2
    7 - teamshadowclan - 1

JP Liz

1. (worth 10 pts) - Voltwad

2. (worth 7 pts) - Mr.Nice Guy

3. (worth 5 pts) - TheBostonCrab

4. (worth 4 pts) - Teamshadowclan

5. (worth 3 pts) - Spongey1975

6. (worth 2 pts) - Waltersobchak

7. (worth 1 pt) - Bounty Hunter

MNG

1. waltersobchak - 10
    2. Teamshadowclan - 7
    3. flahavaj - 5
    4. BH - 4
    5. Slick - 3
    6. Volt - 2
    7. Liz - 1

SlickRic

1. Spongey - 10

2. Flah - 7

3. BH - 5

4. Voltwad - 4

5. thebostoncrab - 3

6. MNG - 2

7. teamshadowclan - 1

Spongey1975

1st - Flahavaj - 10
    2nd - Bounty Hunter - 7
    3rd - Team Shadow Clan - 5
    4th - Gerard C - 4
    5th - Voltwad - 3
    6th - SlickRic - 2
    7th - Mr Nice Guy - 1

Teamshadowclan

1. Gerard.C - 10

2. Voltwad - 7

3. Spongy - 5

4. The Boston Crab - 4

5. JP Liz V1 - 3

6. Bounty Hunter - 2

7. Waltersobchak - 1

thebostoncrab

1) Flahvaj - 10
    2) Bounty Huner - 7
    3) Ger C. - 5
    4) Spongey - 4
    5) Voltwad - 3
    6) TSC - 2
    7) Walter - 1
    7. Waltersobchak - 1

Voltwad

1. (worth 10 pts) Waltersobchak

2. (worth 7 pts) thebostoncrab

3. (worth 5 pts) Teamshadowclan

4. (worth 4 pts) Gerard C.

5. (worth 3 pts) Campo

6. (worth 2 pts) Bounty Hunter

7. (worth 1 pt) Mr. Nice Guy

waltersobchak

7. Diabhal Beag = 1 pt
    6. Thebostoncrab = 2 pts
    5. flahavaj = 3 pts
    4. Bounty Hunter = 4 pts
    3. SlickRic = 5 pts
    2. Mr Nice Guy = 7 pts
    1. Ger = 10 pts

Total Scores

flah = 72 pts, waltersobchak = 71 pts, thebostoncrab = 63 pts, Ger. C = 59 pts, Teamshadowclan = 48 pts, Voltwad = 48 pts, BH = 42 pts, MNG = 37 pts, Spongey = 33 pts, Slick = 30 pts, Liz = 14 pts, campo = 10 pts, Diabhal = 8 pts, D.Q. = 5 pts, Cactus = 3 pts, D2D = 1 pts, F-R = 0 pts

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wow i didnt even get a pity vote cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Congrats Flah. Legit thought I'd do at least better than bottom few. Kinda stopped me from doing this in future TBH,

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Congrats Flah and well done also to Walt so close - wow hard to believe it is all over for another year :(

Mega thanks to Mr.Nice Guy, Bounty Hunter and Gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well done Flah, thoroughly deserved.

i'm delighted with 30 points; some of the writing on offer this year was out of this world.

thanks to all those involved in organising this.

i'm looking forward to an awards section now.

• Advertisement

I think that will be it from me as far as running the game is concerned. Four years is long enough and by this stage it's become a mainstay of the board. There's many here who are veterans of the game and know how it works anyway. I'm sure it will be in good hands next year with gimmick there to oversee matters and Bounty Hunter one of those who also knows the game well. I can think of a few others who could run it admirably and maybe better than I did since a few new ideas might be good for the game.

I think I'd still like to participate if it's possible but it's time to pass on the torch to others. It's been good to see it grow in standard year by year. I can recall the modest efforts of the original crew in 2008 and now to see the amazing detail put in here in 2011 is commendable.

I'm really impressed at the creativity of the people on here and of course there's a good few smart folks that didn't participate in this year's one but did in Drafts gone by. The likes of jaykhunter, Jolt2007, gimmick, Vince, Fozzy and of course the first ever winner RebelRockChick. I'm probably leaving some honourable mentions out too.

Well done to flah on the win once again. Hard luck again also to walt who I think said to me he'd be away the next few days. I hope he's not too gutted when he sees his score but I've a feeling he'll be quite pleased and so he should be.
    Congrats Flah. Legit thought I'd do at least better than bottom few. Kinda stopped me from doing this in future TBH,

I hope you reconsider. I thought you added to the game this year. I voted for you earlier in one of Volt's Slammy awards. Hopefully others will vote in that too and give more recognition to the efforts of everybody.

Advertisement