Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

paddy19 wrote: »
    "Stop confusing people."
    So now we have Eir, Open Eir, Eircom and Eir Retail, clear as mud.
    It doesn't matter really, same shiite

Dcully wrote: »
    Yep seriously, your welcome to check it out any time here.

There is a fibre cab out just past the Hazel near the gateway for the canal walk, would be great if you were connected to that one.

Here is just done this speed test there now.

7799374992.png

I live in Clondalkin village and am with VM. There is a cabinet at the top of the road and my speeds are 30Mb. Still paying for their minimum speed bundle which is 240Mb. Brutal stuff.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Marlow wrote: »
    Oh .. and how many times a year are they in court because of getting their billing wrong ?
    /M

Out of interest are OpenEir any better at their billing? Obviously the end consumer is shielded from it by their retail ISP but do the retail ISPs have a nightmare dealing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dam099 wrote: »
    Out of interest are OpenEir any better at their billing? Obviously the end consumer is shielded from it by their retail ISP but do the retail ISPs have a nightmare dealing with them?

OpenEIR are fairly sorted. But to give you perspective: OpenEIR have 2 billing systems. Eir retail have 5 or more :) And you never know in which of those you end up in.

The last time I had a billing issue with Eir .. and I'm not even a customer of theirs ... somebody just had added my mobile as contact on their billing information and didn't pay their bills .. so i got the collection calls .... it took trawling through 4 billing systems, before the record was found. It took even more hassle to get somebody to remove my mobile number. And that's less than a year ago.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

Hi there - moving to Kinsale shortly. Renting a house just beside the Trident Hotel. No idea if it has a landline...eircode not coming up in any searches for Eir, Sky etc so I’m guessing it’s never had a landline. Not a new build - been there for 15+ years

Can’t get FTTH, so will be FTTC - any recommendations ?

Need decent speed as son is Xbox gamer. Prepared to pay for decent service.

Digiweb search saying just 20Mbps; Airwire & Pure Telecom up to 100Mbps

No experience of any of these companies.

Can anyone recommend which providers are best for Kinsale centre ?

Many thanks

Amy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi all,

I have VM and this pi$$ poor ( I live in Dublin/Tallaght ) Even hard wired things like Netflix / IPTV are buffering / pausing.

I'm thinking of trying Three 4G broadband but wanted to see what people thought of it . It's half the price of VM.

Is there any decent providers out there ? I wouldn't mind paying 60-100 / month if it actually delivered what is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Diminishing

Hello,

I'm shopping around for the best (read: cheapest) broadband-only deal in Dublin 6. It seems, looking at switcher.ie, that Vodafone's offering the best: 25 for 6 months, then 40 for 6 months.

However, I've read elsewhere that there are hidden charges to be careful of. Can anyone shed any light on what these might be?

I don't care too much about speed. Just enough for a bit of Netflix in the evening is fine. The Vodafone line test says "You will be able to download with speeds up to 60 Mbps"

I don't need phone or TV either (would be nice to have BBC, but I'm not paying 30 quid a month for it).

I'm in a new flat, and the previous tenant was with Virgin. Given that the infrastructure is already in place, it's tempting to go with them, but over the course of a year it's almost 200E more.

There's some kind of virgin box on the wall, with a coaxial cable coming out of it. So my question is: can Vodafone use this infrastructure, or would there be some engineering work needed? If so, I'd presumably need to clear it with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

hi all moving to Dublin 9 area - santry /beaumount..... need to get wifi in house but need best possible - although i am on a budget - what would you all recommend? Virgin /EIR/ any recommendations appreciated

I'm shopping around for the best (read: cheapest) broadband-only deal in Dublin 6. It seems, looking at switcher.ie, that Vodafone's offering the best: 25 for 6 months, then 40 for 6 months.

Here is the issue with using switcher.ie, uswitch or other platforms like that: they are not independant. They get paid a fat provision when you sign up. And its only big biz providers that are listed.. because they pay for it and its not worth for these sites to deal with smaller, more savvy providers.

Also .. the cheapest provider doesn't mean the best.

Trawl through the providers on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ and you get a lot more choice.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Agree that most comparison sites do not cover the full list of available suppliers.

ComReg run a compare site which seem to include all suppliers.

https://www.comreg.ie/compare

• Advertisement

"hi all moving to Dublin 9 area - santry /beaumount..... need to get wifi in house but need best possible - although i am on a budget - what would you all recommend? Virgin /EIR/ any recommendations appreciated "

Mobile 4G broadband can be worth a look if your not a big user and you need a budget solution.

Eir do 15G for €20 for 30 days prepay.
    3 have 7.5G for €25 for 30 days prepay

It very much depends on where your are located relative to local masts.

You need to do a bit of of work to see if 4G is viable at your location.

The nice thing is that you try it and see how if it works for you without signing any contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

Hi folks, moving into Dublin 8 next Friday. From the North so not aware of a lot of providers.

In the north there are always lots of new sign up deals. Are these available in the south?

If not, who do you recommend? Don't care about phone or TV. Have a TV box that runs off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Just a general note from someone in Dublin. I've been with nearly every provider at this stage. Quality of the actual broadband has been identical. Level of customer service has not.
    Currently with Pure and I just had a minor accounting issue there so I emailed them. Within five minutes of the email I had a call and the issue was resolved almost immediately. Confirmation email back to me as well within minutes. Very impressed. Maybe it will change as they grow and have more customers to deal with but to be able to resolve an issue so swiftly and easily is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jackiec2019

Hi all
    Moving to Saggart (SaggartLodge Court) and trying to find out what fastest broadband option is - according to switcher Virgin available there but their own website says not so no idea where to look from there...any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iirishsham40

Hi all

I'm in central Drogheda, Co Louth.

I'd like to change broadband for parental security reasons.

I have Sky broadband and cannot change my DNS settings.

I want to use OpenDNS on my router to cut out adult websites.

I was looking at changing to Vodafone, does anyone know if they let you use OpenDNS?

Any other advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

You're probably best off to change to a provider, that provides you with a better router:

Net1, Digiweb, Airwire, etc. all provide you with the Fritz!Box, that has parental controls and you can define your own DNS server settings.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi all

I'm in central Drogheda, Co Louth.

I'd like to change broadband for parental security reasons.

I have Sky broadband and cannot change my DNS settings.

I want to use OpenDNS on my router to cut out adult websites.

I was looking at changing to Vodafone, does anyone know if they let you use OpenDNS?

Thanks

Happy to help/provide advice on this. Send us a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I have a spool of RJ11 that I use to connect my broadband/phone connection at the door to my router another separate cable goes to my house phone.the thing is the router is only 3 metres from the wee junction box, meaning I have about 7metres of cable spooled around itself before it's plugged into back of router. Should I just use exact length or does it matter. Like am I losing any upload or download speeds because of the big loop of cable??

In general we always recommend avoiding the use of long internal runs of RJ11 as there is the potential for some noise (dB loss) so if you can probably best to shorten the cable. If you need long internal cable runs best to use a good quality shielded CAT5 or CAT6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Cable-Reel.png

Noticed there last week that this cable reel had been dumped a km down the road from my house.

Can anyone confirm if these are anything to do with Fibre Broadband finally being available on our road?

Exchange is enabled a good while and surrounding areas have fibre for the last year or so.... Rollout map says its due - Target date was initially June 2015.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Have a look at the marking on the actual cable.
    A code and supplier name should let you know if it's fibre.

Thanks for that Paddy - Will do!

- If it helps at all - Re. those flecks in the photo, they aren't really coming across clearly - They looked to be like yellowish squares or rectangles printed on the cable itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is the aerial fibre cable rolled out in my area back in mid 2017 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104460213

DSC_0039.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

i need to get wifi in collinswood dublin 9

i am on budget bug want best wifi

who would you recommend -vodafone? three? virgin?

Good news - Its fibre cable all right - Was clearly marked on it :)

Wondering could anyone from their own past experience give me a guidleline timeframe from the fibre just being hung on the poles to the service actually being live in my house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Good news - Its fibre cable all right - Was clearly marked on it :)

Wondering could anyone from their own past experience give me a guidleline timeframe from the fibre just being hung on the poles to the service actually being live in my house?

Generally at least two months maybe more.

Thanks Navi.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Got a leaflet in the door from Vodafone offering ftth for €30 for 6 months and then €55 after for 150mb and 99 to instal. From reading on here it seems like it is open eir and not SIRO unfortunately.

Is there any reps on boards from any of the companies that provide open eir who can offer deals?

I read that the fritzbox is the best router. Can anyone explain why it’s better than Vodafone?

I use iptv and would download the odd torrent, would this be affected depending on the provider?

Thanks

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Got a leaflet in the door from Vodafone offering ftth for €30 for 6 months and then €55 after for 150mb and 99 to instal. From reading on here it seems like it is open eir and not SIRO unfortunately.

Is there any reps on boards from any of the companies that provide open eir who can offer deals?

I read that the fritzbox is the best router. Can anyone explain why it’s better than Vodafone?

I use iptv and would download the odd torrent, would this be affected depending on the provider?

Thanks

Happy to provide a qoute and answer any queries you have, feel free to send us a PM. We provide a Fritzbox 7530 as standard with all FTTH installs both on the Siro and OpenEir Network.

Quite a lot of nice features including parental controls, dual band intelligent wifi so the modem automatically scans the available wifi channels and chooses least congested. Guest wifi features are available also oh and it's Mesh compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

Hi,

Hoping there are some reps in here that may know more about the area than I do.

I am over halfway through a self build in an area just north of Castlecomer, Kilkenny and walking around the airtight house doing some speed tests through my mobile provided by Vodafone.

After going through each room, the best result I got was 14.80down/6.61up with 4g. Now I'm wondering will these speeds be as consistent if I went through a mobile router (vodafone/three) or should I stick with my original thought and go with RuralWifi (or maybe Imagine) who have a mast in a neighbouring village.

I've probably asked before but with plastering started I really need to figure this out and not get locked into a contract :)

Advertisement