Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Great link Marlow, several options indeed @ 100MB.

Eir's site indicates FTTH upto 1Gbps is available at my eircode, however Vodafone says its not. Is this because Vodafone's expecting the fiber to already be installed? Eir are charging 99 for the FTTH installation.

Thanks,

powerstation

Marlow wrote: »
    If Eir is a choice and its VDSL/FTTC or FTTH that is the offering, then you have lots or choices. The list is here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eir's site indicates FTTH upto 1Gbps is available at my eircode, however Vodafone says its not. Is this because Vodafone's expecting the fiber to already be installed? Eir are charging 99 for the FTTH installation.

Eir also charges a 30 EUR activation fee. So your installation comes to 130 EUR.

Vodafone only have started doing FTTH on the OpenEIR network. And they only offer it to very few possible premises.

It's the 8 providers with the house logo, you want to look at, if you are enabled for FTTH.

/M

Thanks Marlow, I see the house logo now!

Eir also charges a 30 EUR activation fee. So your installation comes to 130 EUR.

Vodafone only have started doing FTTH on the OpenEIR network. And they only offer it to very few possible premises.

It's the 8 providers with the house logo, you want to look at, if you are enabled for FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Great link Marlow, several options indeed @ 100MB.
    10Mb of "wired" or reliable wireless broadband is a dream for me, all I can get is 2mb phone line or mobile broadband. I am with three now, their network is heavily congested and getting worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Appreciate the input Navi, Marlow & Dcully. The neighbors have already moved in so I assumed this would have been sorted by now so it’s a bit concerning that when using their address it’s coming up at such a low speed.

As mentioned I did a rough calculation on the distance. It’s probably about 50m more than the map would suggest (if you zoom in it is on the “dirt roads” below the roads that say brocan wood).

I was thinking digiweb as they seem to supply the best router but I’m concerned about the 350gb cap. That seems really low to me?

Other than router is there anything else I need to take into account? No interest in tv as I use IPTV Netflix etc so just want a reliable connection.

@Dcully: who are you with currently?

Sorry zurbaran only see this there now.

Im with eir but im currently out of contract and shopping around for the best customer care really as they all sell the same thing.

eir customer care is a disaster , checkout the endless issues over on their page here on boards.
    The service is solid when working but when there is an issue just pray to the gods.
    Last issue a so called upgrade to the local cab brought down everything for this cab for over 2 weeks, total nightmare.

I hear vodafone are not much better.

I really dont know who to go with.

• Advertisement

Is that over 100MB VSDL line? If so, which wired provider are you with?

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    10Mb of "wired" or reliable wireless broadband is a dream for me, all I can get is 2mb phone line or mobile broadband. I am with three now, their network is heavily congested and getting worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just switched to Pure Telecom. I know there have been some iffy reviews, but it seems there are very few good choices in Monasterevin, so i'm going to give these guys a try. I refuse to give Eir anymore of my money, so had to move to someone.

Signed up on bonkers this morning, and Pure called me back within a few minutes. Seemed easy to switch, so will see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Kiith wrote: »
    Just switched to Pure Telecom. I know there have been some iffy reviews, but it seems there are very few good choices in Monasterevin, so i'm going to give these guys a try. I refuse to give Eir anymore of my money, so had to move to someone.

Signed up on bonkers this morning, and Pure called me back within a few minutes. Seemed easy to switch, so will see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

Let us now. I was about to sign up to Vodafone but I don't like that the contract is 18 months. Pure is another option I was considering.

I checked out there site a few weeks ago, entered my address the usual stuff and got a phone call within 10 minutes.
    Got a follow up call a few days later offering me €30pm , 3 days before it was €41pm.

They say they have a 1TB cap but dont enforce it but it is in the small print.

Let us know how you get on please Kiith,, they were the most impressive to talk to so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Does anyone know which providers provide unlimited broadband with no caps or fair usage policies? On VDSL.

I’m with Vodafone at the moment and while I’ve been happy enough with them the last few years, I’ve recently upgraded the tv to a 4K one and we now stream a hell of a lot of 4K content which makes their 1TB cap not very practical. Also got an Xbox so downloading games can eat up 10s of GBs per game.

I rang them to see if there was anything they could do but alas not and they even fed me some misinformation, stating that every provider has a cap(not true)and that I would never get anywhere near the 1TB threshold(also not true)

I was just on the Pure Telecom website and they are going to call me tomorrow but I have since seen on this thread that they have a fair usage policy as well so that will be knocked on the head straight away.

Eir I think? Have true unlimited for new customers and I know Sky definitely do. Getting hold of Sky is another thing. Tried ringing them but gave up after 15 minutes(premium rate) of being bounced around automated services and being left on hold. Also tried their online chat, which they suggest as a signing up option but it rarely connects and if it does disconnects shortly afterwards.

Anyone else in the market unlimited? I’m in North Dublin. Virgin aren’t in my area so I’m restricted to VDSL providers.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Does anyone know which providers provide unlimited broadband with no caps or fair usage policies? On VDSL.

Eir, Sky, Airwire.

Also Westnet, but they won't do outside Mayo + boundaries.

Very few other ones.

As for Sky .. just visit a shopping mall .. no problem finding them there :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

Well, I'm back looking for new options, in Kilcolgan Area.

I have been using Imagine now for a year and four months and though the speed has been great, and it is relatively stable. That has started to go down slightly. Which with a Full House having a more stable option for everyone will be better over speed.

So looking for options, my only option is going back Standard DSLR since my home (+ Others) on this road wasn't and still won't be considered commercially viable by Eir (SNORT)....

Or switching to the likes of Airwire?

So under the Amber and have to have the long wait for NBP to get its act together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

bookmad wrote: »
    Or switching to the likes of Airwire?

So under the Amber and have to have the long wait for NBP to get its act together.

We are planning on rolling out Jet in the first half of 2019 on our Ballindereen, Kinvara and Doorus repeaters. The Ballindereen transmitter may cover you, if you are in the Kilcolgan area.

While that's not FTTH speeds, it will be 50 and 100 Mbit/s depending on package and distance to the repeater.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

We are planning on rolling out Jet in the first half of 2019 on our Ballindereen, Kinvara and Doorus repeaters. The Ballindereen transmitter may cover you, if you are in the Kilcolgan area.

While that's not FTTH speeds, it will be 50 and 100 Mbit/s depending on package and distance to the repeater.

Is there somewhere online I can see/ find out if the transmitter will cover me, etc? Or a Call back to discuss?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

bookmad wrote: »
    Is there somewhere online I can see/ find out if the transmitter will cover me, etc? Or a Call back to discuss?

Generally, give us a call or mail us. We can estimate based on your eircode, what transmitters cover you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Anyone experience if going over the 1TB cap with Pure

I'm thinking of switching but wary of this cap,they told.me they charge per MB over

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

Hello folks,

I'm currently with VM 240mb package and paying about 55 a month for it. Decided I wanted to leave that company for good so started looking into SIRO once it was available at my house recently in Limerick.
    My question is in Limerick, what are the best providers from experience?

The two main current 12 month contract deals are:
    Digiweb 10 euro for 2 months and 55 thereafter, including a fritzbox. 570
    Vodafone 25 euro for 6 months and 55 thereafter, including some new Vodafone gigabit router. 480

I have heard that the Fritzbox is good and more than likely better than the Vodafone offering. Either i'm sure would be better than the crap VM give out.

My question is who has the better CS and overall the best offering?
    And does anyone know if these companies are being lenient about the 1tb caps as my usage seems to hover around and a lot of times over that, but I have never had VM or UPC contact me about usage in the past.

spyder238 wrote: »
    The two main current 12 month contract deals are:
    Digiweb 10 euro for 2 months and 55 thereafter, including a fritzbox. 570
    Vodafone 25 euro for 6 months and 55 thereafter, including some new Vodafone gigabit router. 480

Airwire also offers 6, 12 and 18 months contracts on SIRO and is available in Limerick. It's just the Gigabit Promotion that can't be got on the shorter contracts.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rcp12345

Hi All,

I will be moving to Dublin 15 in the next couple of weeks (Pelletstown Avenue in Ashtown) and was wondering what would be the best choice there?
    What I would like to have is truly unlimited internet, decent upload speed (not 1-2Mbit) and being able to forward port numbers (I want to run my own Plex).

Virgin Media is not available
    There is not much information on Pure telecom website (am I the only one who is annoyed by that?)
    I was also checking out Eir -> looks like they are unlimited now and if I use my own router, then I could forward ports (is that true?)
    Sky -> has a 1TB limit, not sure about ports
    Digiweb -> 350GB limit
    Airwire -> looks like they don't have limit and I can forward port numbers as well, but that 100EUR installation fee is a little bit steep (only VDSL is available)

I heard that Pure telecom/Eir can be bad, but I don't have much information about Airwire.

Thanks,
    rcp

rcp12345 wrote: »
    Airwire -> looks like they don't have limit and I can forward port numbers as well, but that 100EUR installation fee is a little bit steep (only VDSL is available)

You can always go for an 18 months contract and get free router and free installation.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rcp12345

/M

I suppose, I just didn't want to stick with a provider for 1.5 year. If it doesn't work out for some reason, that's a very long time.

Does anybody know what's the upload speed with Airwire (for the 100Mbit connection)?
    I see that "The upload speed is typically be 10-20% of the download speed", but that's pretty vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

For VDSL the speed you get depends on your distance to the cabinet you will connect to; your downstream and upstream will diminish the further you are from the cabinet.

Image below can be taken as a best case scenario

44889866474-b63dcde504-o.png

Does anybody know what's the upload speed with Airwire (for the 100Mbit connection)?
    I see that "The upload speed is typically be 10-20% of the download speed", but that's pretty vague.

The upload is the same as with any VDSL/FTTC provider. It's depending on the quality of your line. The provider doesn't make any difference there.

Check the table, that Barra posted.

/M

Went live today with Pure today. Modem was delivered this morning after a delay yesterday (DPB's fault) and my wife set it up (apparently). Will see what the speeds are like when i get home later, but i'd assume it'll be identical to Eir. Setup process was painless, and only took around 2 weeks.

Happy to be away from Eir now.

Hi All,

I will be moving to Dublin 15 in the next couple of weeks (Pelletstown Avenue in Ashtown) and was wondering what would be the best choice there?
    What I would like to have is truly unlimited internet, decent upload speed (not 1-2Mbit) and being able to forward port numbers (I want to run my own Plex).

Virgin Media is not available
    There is not much information on Pure telecom website (am I the only one who is annoyed by that?)
    I was also checking out Eir -> looks like they are unlimited now and if I use my own router, then I could forward ports (is that true?)
    Sky -> has a 1TB limit, not sure about ports
    Digiweb -> 350GB limit

I heard that Pure telecom/Eir can be bad, but I don't have much information about Airwire.

Thanks,
    rcp

Sky don’t have a monthly limit. Vodafone do as well as Eir for customers pre summer 2018.

Went live today with Pure today. Modem was delivered this morning after a delay yesterday (DPB's fault) and my wife set it up (apparently). Will see what the speeds are like when i get home later, but i'd assume it'll be identical to Eir. Setup process was painless, and only took around 2 weeks.

Happy to be away from Eir now.

You might not be rid of them yet, a friend moved to sky back in September thinking he was rid of eir only for eir to continue to bill him.
    No amount of calls to so called customer care seems to resolve it.
    The talk to eir board is full of similar stories.

Worth keeping in mind.

adox wrote: »
    Sky don’t have a monthly limit. Vodafone do as well as Eir for customers pre summer 2018.

Sky don't have a limit at the moment. With the introduction of FTTH on Sky it's seems that there will be a 1TB limit.

/M

Dcully wrote: »
    You might not be rid of them yet, a friend moved to sky back in September thinking he was rid of eir only for eir to continue to bill him.

Worth keeping in mind.

Oh i'm fully expecting a few more bills from them, and the can **** right off. I'll pay this months one, and then i'm done with them forever.

So far Pure is working well. Actually got higher download speeds than i seemed to before, while downloading BF5. Over 4mbs at one stage.

Sky don't have a limit at the moment. With the introduction of FTTH on Sky it's seems that there will be a 1TB limit.

/M

Haven’t heard anything about that? I’m looking to move to them with their unlimited service on VDSL. In fact it’s the main reason I’m moving from Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Dcully wrote: »

Worth keeping in mind.
    I've been getting zero bills from them for over a year now since I left. They're just senselessly incompetent.

Advertisement