Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ruralwifi don't have a mast nearby nor anywhere. They're Three. Theres no reason to choose Ruralwifi over going direct to Three.

The UV shielding in your windows may be hampering speeds, do some outside tests as a first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

ED E wrote: »
    Ruralwifi don't have a mast nearby nor anywhere. They're Three. Theres no reason to choose Ruralwifi over going direct to Three.

The UV shielding in your windows may be hampering speeds, do some outside tests as a first step.

Fair point, and only took me to read the FAQ to understand they use mobile masts. Good to know they use Three as well.

I guess the small benefit is they provide the antenna :/

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Got a leaflet in the door from Vodafone offering ftth for €30 for 6 months and then €55 after for 150mb and 99 to instal. From reading on here it seems like it is open eir and not SIRO unfortunately.

Is there any reps on boards from any of the companies that provide open eir who can offer deals?

I read that the fritzbox is the best router. Can anyone explain why it’s better than Vodafone?

I use iptv and would download the odd torrent, would this be affected depending on the provider?

Thanks
    After doing some research it looks like Pure are the best option unless anybody has any other suggestions?

35 for 6 months and then 55 after with no install fee. When I asked about the router they said the same one as eir which I didn’t want after reading about it here so then he mentioned they also have the fritzbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

35 for 6 months and then 55 after with no install fee. When I asked about the router they said the same one as eir which I didn’t want after reading about it here so then he mentioned they also have the fritzbox.

No. Pure are using something else. The Fritz!Box is supplied by Westnet, Net1, Digiweb, Airwire and a few others, but not by Pure Telecom, as far as I know.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. Pure are using something else. The Fritz!Box is supplied by Westnet, Net1, Digiweb, Airwire and a few others, but not by Pure Telecom, as far as I know.

/M
    He said they have the fritzbox 7530 after I said I wasn't interested in the f2000. Doubt they would spoof about something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Going to be getting a first time connection next month hopefully.
    What provider do people recommend? I've heard good things about Airwire, Westnet and Digiweb.
    Should I avoid Eir?

He said they have the fritzbox 7530 after I said I wasn't interested in the f2000. Doubt they would spoof about something like that?
    So I ordered last week and they called today to sort out delivery. I asked again about the router and this fella says that whilst they have the fritzbox I can’t have it according to their tech support because of some bullsit reason. Anyway I cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Currently on Virgin and service has been shocking lately on the wifi part
    Had a Vodafone rep call last week and said they are the only ones that come in through the main circuit box
    what does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Currently on Virgin and service has been shocking lately on the wifi part
    Had a Vodafone rep call last week and said they are the only ones that come in through the main circuit box
    what does this mean?

Possibly talking about SIRO which uses the ESB infrastructure to bring a fibre cable into your home. Enter your Eircode on

https://siro.ie

and it should tell you if it's available in your area and which ISPs are selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Possibly talking about SIRO which uses the ESB infrastructure to bring a fibre cable into your home. Enter your Eircode on

https://siro.ie

and it should tell you if it's available in your area and which ISPs are selling it.

so is Siro the way to go then?
    The intermittency of the VM signal has really ticked us all off and a friend of my sons said he has Vod that is very smooth

Is the router that is being aswell have a factor? I have a bit of a blind spot at the back of the house so would like the ability to extend
    Watched some clips on the fritzbox and comes up very well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    so is Siro the way to go then?
    The intermittency of the VM signal has really ticked us all off and a friend of my sons said he has Vod that is very smooth

Is the router that is being aswell have a factor? I have a bit of a blind spot at the back of the house so would like the ability to extend
    Watched some clips on the fritzbox and comes up very well

SIRO should be an excellent service but if you are relying on WiFi then the placement of the router is important to ensure decent coverage.

Vodafone don't use Fritzbox. Some other ISPs such as Airwire and Digiweb do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

can anyone tell me what the broadband is like with sky in the newbridge area of kildare. they are saying they can provide 1gb but i am skeptical of this

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what the broadband is like with sky in the newbridge area of kildare. they are saying they can provide 1gb but i am skeptical of this

They do, as they are offering Siro'a FTTH service. It will depend on where in Newbridge you live. Check on siro.ie with your eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

cunnijo wrote: »
    They do, as they are offering Siro'a FTTH service. It will depend on where in Newbridge you live. Check on siro.ie with your eircode.

I have siro already with Vodafone but sky is offering faster speed for cheaper. I have read on other sites that people have been getting slow speeds with sky due to sky renting the lines from eir

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I have siro already with Vodafone but sky is offering faster speed for cheaper. I have read on other sites that people have been getting slow speeds with sky due to sky renting the lines from eir

That is correct as contention applies especially over the Eir network (not sure about their (Eir's) FTTH offering though. Sky's offering is cheaper for a 12 month contract on the SIRO platform. €40.00pm for up to 1GB. It is however no faster than the other ISP's offering SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

FTTH now live in my area.
    What are people experience with eir broadband and their tv packages?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

B Rabbit wrote: »
    FTTH now live in my area.
    What are people experience with eir broadband and their tv packages?

Thanks!

Eir FTTH is fantastic, very reliable and really low ping times. Unlimited for the moment too but that could change back to a cap in the coming months.

I don't have Eir's Tv Service but my experience of using it in friends house is horrible. Slow box, horrible interface and mostly free to air channels with a charge, no sky channels except for the premium channels such as sky sports or movies which is an extra charge, but no sky news, sky one or sky atlantic. No access to ITV, Channel 5 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Currently on Eir 100mb and paying too much at 76 Euros per month. Now that the soccer is gone I am going to switch. I see Vodafone have 100mb for 25 euro for 6 months rising to 45 euro per month.

Are Vodafone any good these days? I've been with Eir for a few years now without any issues except when I tried call their cancellation line today to try negotiate a better deal and was just on hold for about 10 minutes before giving up.

Dublin 7 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 angelcervera

I checked my address in Whitegate fibrerollout ie website and looks like I have fiber. But when I check eir and vodafone offers, they don't give me more than 12Mb and nobody offer FTTH.

Any idea what is wrong?

As alternative, I tried with Imagine, but I'm surrounded by trees that kill the signal, so they don't want to install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I checked my address in Whitegate fibrerollout ie website and looks like I have fiber. But when I check eir and vodafone offers, they don't give me more than 12Mb and nobody offer FTTH.

Any idea what is wrong?

As alternative, I tried with Imagine, but I'm surrounded by trees that kill the signal, so they don't want to install it.

On fibrerollout does your house actually have a green house icon on it or are you just in the green shaded area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 villamaria

In Stillorgan and have just cancelled my Sky tv/broadband package as was costing a fortune. Going to just go with a broadband only, am thinking Vodafone? when I look at the comparison websites they all look the same to me, anyone experience of the Vodafone only broadband?

Was happy with the Sky, just not the cost so want to have the similar level of service.

Thanks in advance if anyone has advice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

villamaria wrote: »
    when I look at the comparison websites they all look the same to me, anyone experience of the Vodafone only broadband?

The comparison websites only list the larger providers, as they don't want to bother with most of the smaller providers.

Here is a more comprehensive list of providers to check: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

According to the Open Eir Rollout Map there is a fibre route connected to homes 2 miles away from me. At the moment I am on Eir broadband over my landline. Here is my current speedtest result
    DATE / TIME   PING  DOWNLOAD  UPLOAD DISTANCE LOCATION / SERVER PROVIDER
    ms Mbps Mbps mi
    8/5/2019  52 1.74 0.06 ~ 50 Limerick eir
    12.52 enet

PS. this may be clearer
    DATE / TIME PING DOWNLOAD UPLOAD DISTANCE LOCATION / SERVER PROVIDER
    8/5/2019 12:52 ms Mbps Mbps mi Limerick eir
    52 1.74 0.06 ~ 50 enet

Sorry, for broken messages. My question is: What should I do to get connected to fibre? or must we simply wait?

brownangel wrote: »
    Sorry, for broken messages. My question is: What should I do to get connected to fibre? or must we simply wait?

If houses within a few KM have FTTH with open eir and you do not then your have not been included in the Eir rural FTTH plan.

If you are in an Urban area then Eir may provide FTTH to you in the next few years.
    SIRO FTTH may also decide to include your town at some point.

If you're in a rural area then you will be reliant on the NBP, there's a very long thread on the NBP but it's not a fun read. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Wonder if anyone can help, I live in Blanchardstown village and neighbours have fibre but when I enter my Eircode or address on any of the providers websites it say fibre is not available.

I'm currently with Sky on non-fibre so speeds are terrible, I've been onto them but they can't tell why fibre is not available for me.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can help, I live in Blanchardstown village and neighbours have fibre but when I enter my Eircode or address on any of the providers websites it say fibre is not available.

I'm currently with Sky on non-fibre so speeds are terrible, I've been onto them but they can't tell why fibre is not available for me.

Which fibre product are your neighbours on?
    Fibre to the home is not available to anyone in that area.

RoryMac wrote: »

Is Virgin Media not available to you?. Also according to the SIRO website Blanchardstown is now live https://siro.ie/towns/blanchardstown/. So it might be worth entering your Eircode to see if it is or will be available in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Which broadband providers has "Sky Atlantic" available via their TV services?

Advertisement