Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Which broadband providers has "Sky Atlantic" available via their TV services?

Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

tuxy wrote: »
    Which fibre product are your neighbours on?
    Fibre to the home is not available to anyone in that area.

They're with Vodafone I think, the checker on the Vodafone website says fibre is available for them but not for me. My house is attached to theirs!!

cunnijo wrote: »
    Is Virgin Media not available to you?. Also according to the SIRO website Blanchardstown is now live https://siro.ie/towns/blanchardstown/. So it might be worth entering your Eircode to see if it is or will be available in the future.

Virgin media is available but would prefer just connecting through the existing phone line.

What's involved to install Virgin Media? There's no coax cable coming into my house(just Sky dish) so guess it would involve install fees etc?

Siro not available yet, I've added myself to receive updates on availability

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

RoryMac wrote: »
    Virgin media is available but would prefer just connecting through the existing phone line.

What's involved to install Virgin Media? There's no coax cable coming into my house(just Sky dish) so guess it would involve install fees etc?

Siro not available yet, I've added myself to receive updates on availability

In relation to Virgin if you are in a relatively new house there will be TV sockets installed in different rooms (master bedroom, living room, etc) during construction.These will all lead to a central point where Virgin can connect to. Once done they will send you the equipment (modem, TV box) which you can install yourself. Of course if you want them to install and setup the equipment they will. As a new customer installation should be free but check to be sure.

As for SIRO when it becomes available it will be fed in a similar way as your phone line but will be via your ESB meter box. After that you can arrange with the installer where to install the equipment (ONT & modem/router).

Hope this helps.

In relation to Virgin if you are in a relatively new house there will be TV sockets installed in different rooms (master bedroom, living room, etc) during construction.These will all lead to a central point where Virgin can connect to. Once done they will send you the equipment (modem, TV box) which you can install yourself. Of course if you want them to install and setup the equipment they will. As a new customer installation should be free but check to be sure.

As for SIRO when it becomes available it will be fed in a similar way as your phone line but will be via your ESB meter box. After that you can arrange with the installer where to install the equipment (ONT & modem/router).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, it's an old house but previous owner was with Sky and I'm with sky. No coax cables coming into the house apart from the ones coming from the sky dish.

I'll check with Virgin, their website just talks about connecting to the existing TV point so guess it'll cost to get them to install one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sky?

I can only get Sky Satellite. Do Eir or Vodafone carry Sky Atlantic over Broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I can only get Sky Satellite. Do Eir or Vodafone carry Sky Atlantic over Broadband?

Sadly no. It seems no mainstream Sky channel is available on either platform. Premium Sky channels (Sports) are on Vodafone at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Sadly no. It seems no mainstream Sky channel is available on either platform. Premium Sky channels (Sports) are on Vodafone at least.

thank you - just confirmed that with Eir too. Will just do Satellite and Eir Broadband for moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

currently on virgin media 240 mb and their WiFi has been bad for quite some time now so im looking for alternatives.

Can any1 kindly tell how are eir, Vodafone or Sky bb performing on the Phibsboro/Connaught st area? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

currently on virgin media 240 mb and their WiFi has been bad for quite some time now so im looking for alternatives.

Can any1 kindly tell how are eir, Vodafone or Sky bb performing on the Phibsboro/Connaught st area? Thanks

Is the WIFI the problem or the connection to the router? You can buy a better WIFI access point without changing provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Is the WIFI the problem or the connection to the router? You can buy a better WIFI access point without changing provider.

thanks for your reply. Problem is with WiFi which disconnects way more than ever before. Any advice on which access point to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

What's the situation with new builds? We've just bought a house in Rush, North County Dublin and due to get keys in a couple of weeks.

Problem is that the address isn't showing up as having anything available on any of the websites, there's a Virgin and an Eir box thing attached to the side of the house if that means anything? Is it just that as it's a new build it won't show on their system?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,020 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On fibrerollout does your house actually have a green house icon on it or are you just in the green shaded area?

i'm buying a new build in an area that is covered by greenshading - what would this mean for possibility of Fibre?

On the map on fibre rollout it was last updated in april and my estate doesnt exist on it

i'm buying a new build in an area that is covered by greenshading - what would this mean for possibility of Fibre?

On the map on fibre rollout it was last updated in april and my estate doesnt exist on it

It would probably mean no fibre to the home yet but up to 100Mbps from VDSL once you get a phone line installed.
    You're speed would be determined by the distance from the cabinet that your phone line is connected to.
    In general anything up to 500m will be reasonably fast but over 1km speeds drop off fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi all.

Have been researching broadband options for a house in the Beechmount area of Navan.
    FTTH is not available but FTTC is.

Planning to put in Ubiquiti APs and a USG and CloudKey in the house but would like to have the USG do the routing,
    DHCP and Firewall so need a provider that supplies a router that can do bridged mode.

My options are Eir, Vodafone and Pure. Anyone know what devices these currently supply and if they do bridged mode.

Thanks

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ZENER wrote: »
    My options are Eir, Vodafone and Pure. Anyone know what devices these currently supply and if they do bridged mode.

You actually have a lot more options. Nearly all of the providers listed here will offer you service: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rom9

Please advise on best options to switch from Virgin.

Currently on 120 MB Virgin Media connection for 59.55 EUR pm (Offered a 250 MB line but without phone for the same price).

Are there any other options? The 120MB line serves me well but VM won't have me pay less for that. So no point in holding on to 120MB.
    Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

my BB with VM finishes in over a month, based in Navan got message few months back that SIRO is active in my estate.

any advise between digiweb or vodafone , as setup needs to be tailored a bit where AP would need to be placed.

and its still sort of newly connected area so not many users, VF seem to have good price, but know they could be trouble in doing install - as had issue where friend waited month just to get connected in well established FTTH area, with them wasting month to get qualified installers, im leaning towards digiweb - anyone whith good/bad experiences or recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Any help appreciated. Looking to switch from digiweb at 60/month for 35gb to the Sky fibre 100mb package. Digiweb isn’t close to meeting needs for speed/allowance.

We’re rural, on Kildare/Meath border 3 miles from the closest village and without a phone line so options limited. Sky have said they can serve here, would be great to hear of any experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Any help appreciated. Looking to switch from digiweb at 60/month for 35gb to the Sky fibre 100mb package. Digiweb isn’t close to meeting needs for speed/allowance.

We’re rural, on Kildare/Meath border 3 miles from the closest village and without a phone line so options limited. Sky have said they can serve here, would be great to hear of any experience

What result do you get when you enter your Eircode here:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Shows vdsl the only available, does that suggest the sky option won’t work? Sorry, not at all familiar. Sky had said otherwise when given the eircode.

Shows vdsl the only available, does that suggest the sky option won’t work? Sorry, not at all familiar. Sky had said otherwise when given the eircode.

Sky sell two types of connection. FTTH where it is fibre directly into the premises from the exchange. This is high speed and distance is not a problem. This does not seem to be available to you.

They also sell VDSL which is fibre to an exchange or cabinet then a copper cable to your home (phone line). The speed you get will depend on how far the copper cable has to travel from the exchange or cabinet. If you are really 3km from an exchange or cabinet you are not going to get a high speed connection, certainly nowhere near 100Mb.

You might want to look into local wireless ISPs or the various mobile broadband options from 3, eir or Vodafone.

Check your location on this map to give an indication of what may be available

https://irelandoffline.org/map/

It means you can get upto 100Mbps from a number of providers(including Sky) if you get a phone line installed. The speed would depend on the distance to the exchange or cabinet the phone line will be connected to. Could be as high as 100Mbps or as low as 7Mbps.

Try your Eircode on the eir FTTH checker just to double check it's not available.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Currently on Eir FTTC but reliability of service is cat and will change as soon as contract is up in November. The second we moved from Sky to Eir the wifi range, consistant speeds dropped. Looking for a new provider now and can't wait to leave Eir. Are Vodafone providing the Gigabox for FTTC customers/ can it be tweeked for FTTC customers? Had Vodafone in the past without issue. Sky was very good but is just too expensive at 55e a month without discount. I'm more interested in long term cost as opposed to switching every year for an offer at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Looking to move from Virgin to FTTC (eir or Sky) but when checked on eir or Sky's website my address shows that FTTC is not available.
    According to irelandoffline.org/map I live withing 300m of 4 VDSL enabled cabinets.
    Is it likely that the info is incorrect and when a line is installed it will support FTTC?
    My neighbours all seem to be able to get FTTC so my theory is that the issue is that there is no line at my address to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

I've had a failed Siro installation and honestly it's so difficult to find information on alternatives, or even reasonably priced alternatives as nobody seems to be trying to compete.

I've just ordered Virgin 250 as it was more enticing than VDSL options, and already set up in the house. But at €59 euro a month it's a bit scabby. I can't say the interaction with custom service was a very pleasant experience either.

Are there any other cable providers that would be competitive? I'd gladly cancel the service if I could avoid being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ULMarc wrote: »
    I've had a failed Siro installation and honestly it's so difficult to find information on alternatives, or even reasonably priced alternatives as nobody seems to be trying to compete.

Why did the SIRO installation fail ?

/M

Looking for some basic internet for a relatives house in Limerick City. Nothing fancy just web browsing. Is there 5g mifi available yet? Not up to speed (no pun intended) on this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

Marlow wrote: »
    Why did the SIRO installation fail ?

/M

Vodafone rep says the comments show that the existing ducting underlays a building foundation and the installation is not possible. A ground crew did come out and dig, so I know they at least checked.

I'm a bit disappointed but there's not much I can do. Not so much because I've had to go with cable, but more so that I'm paying Virgin MORE for cable. Dealing with them so far has shown them to be quite stingy, so I'm hoping not to have to interact with them any further.

Advertisement