Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Any suggestions for Monasterevin? I will be in Brocan Wood, and before buying checked the map and did a rough guess on how far the cabinet was which seemed all good.

I can’t get a speed online for my address but did for two of the neighbors. One was 7mb and the other 2. Absolute nightmare.

Is digiweb metro or anything like that available in the area?

I just checked 63 Brocan Wood on eir and it says 100Mb speeds are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I just checked 63 Brocan Wood on eir and it says 100Mb speeds are available.
    I’m getting the attached.

Edit: just tried 63 with no results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Your premise isn't in their database. Have you tried using the phone number. At 200m from the exchange (as the crow flies) you should have no problems getting something ... if your line gets migrated.

Is it a new premise ?

/M

Edit: just tried 63 with no results.

Use an incognito window (private browsing).

Marlow wrote: »
    Your premise isn't in their database. Have you tried using the phone number. At 200m from the exchange (as the crow flies) you should have no problems getting something ... if your line gets migrated.

Is it a new premise ?

/M

The furthest house from the nearest cabinet in the next estate out of the town (19 Hopkins Haven) is passing for 70Mb. I'd guess the posters home is relatively new, perhaps there is some cabling issue?

• Advertisement

The furthest house from the nearest cabinet in the next estate out of the town (19 Hopkins Haven) is passing for 70Mb. I'd guess the posters home is relatively new, perhaps there is some cabling issue?

Either that. Or it's a new premise. fibrerollout doesn't know the eircode, which indicates, that it might only have been created recently enough. So, it might not have any path data.

/M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@Zurbaran Im in Monasterevin, you should be good for 100MB with the usual suspects , eir,sky,vodafone etc,, picking who to go with is the problem.
    Brocan Wood is a new estate so lines should be solid there, id be shocked if you cant get close to 100mb, i think there is a cab as you head back towards supervalu on the left hand side, probably closer to you than Hopkins Haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Either that. Or it's a new premise. fibrerollout doesn't know the eircode, which indicates, that it might only have been created recently enough. So, it might not have any path data.

/M

how long does it take for new build eircodes to start passing line checks, roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

Looking to move provider. Eir or Virgin seem to be only alternatives. Anyone with these / recommend either of these, or other(s) in Drogheda?

BArra wrote: »
    how long does it take for new build eircodes to start passing line checks, roughly?

Rule of thumb by infinity ?

Eircode updates their database every 3 months. Passes it to the people that have eircode licenses.

How long it then takes to filter down to individual providers is random.

/M

• Advertisement

td1 wrote: »
    Looking to move provider. Eir or Virgin seem to be only alternatives. Anyone with these / recommend either of these, or other(s) in Drogheda?

Drogeda is also SIRO covered. Check http://www.siro.ie to see, if you are covered.

And there are always more providers than Eir, if you're on VDSL or FTTH. Check any of the providers on this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

thanks, my sister has a new build completing in a couple of months and they are in range of a VDSL cab, so will pass on that info to them

BArra wrote: »
    thanks, my sister has a new build completing in a couple of months and they are in range of a VDSL cab, so will pass on that info to them

VDSL is different. It doesn't depend on the Eircode. That's still done by OpenEIRs old adressing system.

It requires a provider, that is clued up to get her enabled.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

Drogeda is also SIRO covered. Check http://www.siro.ie to see, if you are covered.

And there are always more providers than Eir, if you're on VDSL or FTTH. Check any of the providers on this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

Thanks - should have said I've been informed I can't receive SIRO service

td1 wrote: »
    Thanks - should have said I've been informed I can't receive SIRO service

That still leaves you with a lot more options than just Eir and Virgin.

/M

Appreciate the input Navi, Marlow & Dcully. The neighbors have already moved in so I assumed this would have been sorted by now so it’s a bit concerning that when using their address it’s coming up at such a low speed.

As mentioned I did a rough calculation on the distance. It’s probably about 50m more than the map would suggest (if you zoom in it is on the “dirt roads” below the roads that say brocan wood).

I was thinking digiweb as they seem to supply the best router but I’m concerned about the 350gb cap. That seems really low to me?

Other than router is there anything else I need to take into account? No interest in tv as I use IPTV Netflix etc so just want a reliable connection.

@Dcully: who are you with currently?

If you use Netflix, the cap is going to be an issue.

The low speed can be, because the prequalification is based on preliminary tests. It could be much much higher, once an actual line is installed and an actual test is done. But it's hit and miss.

I've seen several lines that started out at 7M/1M or 14M/1M because they physically had to be build from new (none there) and then ended up at 100M/20M or 50M/15M ... it all depends on your distance to the cab, where they connect you, the quality of the line and if somebody re-tests it 24-48 hour after the line initially/actually is installed.

/M

Appreciate the input Navi, Marlow & Dcully. The neighbors have already moved in so I assumed this would have been sorted by now so it’s a bit concerning that when using their address it’s coming up at such a low speed.

As mentioned I did a rough calculation on the distance. It’s probably about 50m more than the map would suggest (if you zoom in it is on the “dirt roads” below the roads that say brocan wood).

I was thinking digiweb as they seem to supply the best router but I’m concerned about the 350gb cap. That seems really low to me?

Other than router is there anything else I need to take into account? No interest in tv as I use IPTV Netflix etc so just want a reliable connection.

@Dcully: who are you with currently?

I checked a house in the number 50s in your estate. It is passing for 100Mb. A home in the estate further out from you is passing for 70Mb. The ducting is in place for your "side" of the estate so it should really only be a case of getting connected to the cabinet nearest the estate. The only issue could be that the cabinet may possibly be full. Have you spoken to any ISPs to see what they say?

If you use Netflix, the cap is going to be an issue.

The low speed can be, because the prequalification is based on preliminary tests. It could be much much higher, once an actual line is installed and an actual test is done. But it's hit and miss.

I've seen several lines that started out at 7M/1M or 14M/1M because they physically had to be build from new (none there) and then ended up at 100M/20M or 50M/15M ... it all depends on your distance to the cab, where they connect you, the quality of the line and if somebody re-tests it 24-48 hour after the line initially/actually is installed.

/M
    This may be a very stupid question here but are you saying the speeds I’m finding online could be wrong as it a new estate?

I thought as much on the digiweb cap. How can they advertise as unlimted?

I checked a house in the number 50s in your estate. It is passing for 100Mb. A home in the estate further out from you is passing for 70Mb. The ducting is in place for your "side" of the estate so it should really only be a case of getting connected to the cabinet nearest the estate. The only issue could be that the cabinet may possibly be full. Have you spoken to any ISPs to see what they say?

In my part of the estate I’m not sure the numbers go very high. I think where you are looking is the older part as you drive in on the right maybe. Reason I say this is cause there is less than 50 built in my part of the estate (I bought the one of the first 20 or so completed). Second lot are for sale now I think.

I spoke to Vodafone who said they would come back to me but didn’t.

• Advertisement

This may be a very stupid question here but are you saying the speeds I’m finding online could be wrong as it a new estate?

VDSL line speeds depend on distance to the cabinet and quality of the line. Distance to the cabinet as per cable-run, not how far the cabinet is away.

When no line is present and your premise is being "qualified", then the system either goes "no" or gives you a worst case value.

The problem is, that with a new line, you don't know the result until 24 hours after the line is build. And also then only, if the provider bothers their arse to re-test your line after 24 hours. That's how OpenEIRs systems operate.

If it's fibre .. (FTTH !! .. eFibre/VDSL is NOT fibre) .. then there's no guesswork. If it's fixed wireless, most decent providers will test it on the day and if it's substandard fail you at no cost to you. If it's mobile, then you can hand the sub/handset/mifi back within the cooling off period because it doesn't work as advertised.

With a new VDSL/FTTC line it's a physical installation. So the cooling off period is pretty much down to how decent the provider is. They don't have to give you a cooling off period, if a physical (technician on site) installation is done. It's not remote sales anymore at that point. You can only refuse it, while the engineer is on site.

/M

In my part of the estate I’m not sure the numbers go very high. I think where you are looking is the older part as you drive in on the right maybe. Reason I say this is cause there is less than 50 built in my part of the estate (I bought the one of the first 20 or so completed). Second lot are for sale now I think.

I spoke to Vodafone who said they would come back to me but didn’t.

I am using those houses on the right yes. It's hard to visualise the rest as all the images from maps and the Eircode site have the other side as a field! Even Street View is from 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When no line is present and your premise is being "qualified", then the system either goes "no" or gives you a worst case value.

The problem is, that with a new line, you don't know the result until 24 hours after the line is build. And also then only, if the provider bothers their arse to re-test your line after 24 hours. That's how OpenEIRs systems operate.

More like 4 days before you can even send it for overnight testing if nothing comes back after a day. Thursdays is the day they send new lines for testing on a routine job

fritzelly wrote: »
    More like 4 days before you can even send it for overnight testing if nothing comes back after a day. Thursdays is the day they send new lines for testing on a routine job

nah ... UG does it after 24-48 hours. Other systems on top of that might delay further.

/M

nah ... UG does it after 24-48 hours. Other systems on top of that might delay further.

/M

Sent one yesterday (or the day before) and told have to wait 4 days as it was a new line. Normally it qualifies after a day

There’s people living there for a few months now so either way I should expect it to be at the proper speed now, no?

I was going as the crow flies so wasn’t taking into account how far the wires had to go.

There’s people living there for a few months now so either way I should expect it to be at the proper speed now, no?

I was going as the crow flies so wasn’t taking into account how far the wires had to go.

All new lines have to be prequalled after being installed.
    They will check the line for resistance etc - not all copper lines are created equal.

What is concerning is that a lot of the homes on the left as you drive in are saying no broadband available. I am unsure of what open eir need to do to enable that side. It may be a simple as you ordering a line but I fear it could involve more work by them and then you are left in limbo waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Hi MaudL,

Have you chosen a provider?

I'm also in Leopardstown, and have the same situation with Virgin Media as you. I'll be charged 59.50 euro for 240MB BB + phone after the price increase and am considering switching.

I had tried Sky two years ago before Virgin Media, and found their BB was really slow and had to cancel in the cooling off period as their installers perform dish installations and did not know how to check if the broadband line was okay.

Eir seems to have the best value, however I am nearly put off by the number of complaints on their Boards forum and the responses of their Boards reps asking customers to phone support. In contrast, I found Sky's Boards reps were really helpful, I did not have to call Sky's support number.

If anyone else reading this is from Leopardstown, do share your recommendations.

Thanks,
    powerstation

MaudL wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I'm currently with Virgin Media, on a broadband+phone package; they just emailed saying the price is going up which essentially will make it 62euro a month for broadband and a phone line I don't use, so off I go to the competition :)

- I only want broadband (phone if necessary to get a good deal, but really I don't need it), no TV
    - We watch Netflix and Youtube a lot
    - Other normal internet usage
    - No gaming, streaming, downloading of movies, etc
    - I'm in Dublin 18

I've used the bonkers site and saw some good offers (Sky, Pure, Digiweb) but they're for 100mbps versus the 240mbps for Virgin and I have no idea if that would be enough for me?

Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Eir seems to have the best value, however I am nearly put off by the number of complaints on their Boards forum and the responses of their Boards reps asking customers to phone support.

If Eir is a choice and its VDSL/FTTC or FTTH that is the offering, then you have lots or choices. The list is here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

Advertisement