Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Starlink is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi,

live in Galway City and both wife and myself working from home. We currently have Virgin 500MB.

Usage for the last 5 months is : 400 GB, 570GB, 700GB, 340GB, 305GB

Service always worked fine but when I called Virgin for renewal , the only option they gave me , is the €70/month

I checked with Eircode and It seems I could get:

a) Sky 500 mbps 24 months @ €35 x month

b) Vodafone 500 mpbs 12 months @ €40 x month

Just worried about "fair usage" policy and reliability

(used Sky in the past. all good apart from some small VPN issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭padre78

Hey folks, looking for a bit of advice please.

Got an email from NBI yesterday saying that we had moved to Pre-order in the rollout. Question is does it matter what company we go with? Is there any major differences between the service? We were kinda narrowing it down to Eir, Vodafone or Sky.

Any thoughts welcome.

TIA

P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SpaceCadet1995

Any good recommendations for affordable broadband? I'm looking for speed mainly. I live alone but use a VR headset a lot. Specifically 500mbps upwards. It seems Virgin is the only way to go. Problem is, I'm with them, and they just doubled my bill (for some reason I forgot or didn't realise the 30 a month was a temporary offer and now I'm constantly broke). I don't want to go to three because that's my mobile plan and I remember when the phone and broadband went down I was in hell. I'm thinking of changing my number to Vodafone in October though because I'm ending a bill pay contract. So Vodafone might not be the best bet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Vodafone just changed the way they price their FTTH in June. Used to be a low introductory offer for 12 months followed by a big hike. Now they are offering the same rate to new and renewing customers. Check rates here: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/rates.html under Vodafone Home.

Used to be:

Now:

However, look out for that sneaky "subject to annual price adjustment". See details here: https://n.vodafone.ie/annual-price-adjustment.html#price

Basically they're going to hike your bill about 10% every April (CPI + 3%), so the stuff about fixed price for renewing customers is guff. I just rang them today for a renewal, have been on EUR 40 for 1Gb fibre plus phone for the last two years. They wanted EUR 55 and tried to sell the benefits of the fixed price (which is a lie since it'll be 60+ in April) and warned that any other provider would be "sky high after 12 months". Yes (I thought), but then I'll be switching again. So have arranged a switch to Pure Telecom to stay at EUR 40. (I believe it's EUR 35 for 500 Mbps).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭loco_scolo

Do Vodafone have a deal with Virgin to use their broadband infrastructure? I saw an article about a deal, a while back, but not sure if it happened.

The only broadband I can get (Dublin city centre near Croke Park) is Virgin, so I'd like another option. The eircom line is poor and would only give 80Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

Do you know what router pure telecom give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Generally either a fritzbox or an eir router rebranded to pure telecom. You can probably request that you get a fritzbox when ordering from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Hi there,

Looking for an alternative to Vodafone vDSL 100mb broadband. The service itself has been flawless, but the customer service on the other hand has been absolutely shocking. I renewed my broadband and TV package with them last February, with a monthly bill of €51p/m in the contract and since then, no bill has been lower than €60. I've called several times, getting a different rep, and each time I've been assured that the last rep screwed the recontract up and that the current one I was speaking with had fixed it, but as soon as the next bill rolls around, I'm back to square one.

I'm looking at Pure and Digiweb. I'm staying away from Eir and Virgin fibre because the reliability/customer service of both seems horrendous too. I'm hoping that whoever I go with will be as reliable given I live right beside a cabinet, but who knows.

Any recommendations appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Submit a complaint. I had 4 months in a row of incorrect bills, customer service would issue credits but never fixed the underlying issue so I was having to ring every month.

Eventually I made a complaint using the form below and they finally fixed properly (and also gave an extra €50 one off credit by way of apology).

https://n.vodafone.ie/forms/consumer/customer-complaints.html

If the complaint route doesn't work then go to Comreg (and no harm to drop Comreg into the complaint wording letting them know you expect its sorted or you will be going to Comreg).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Thanks for that. Complaint sent in now, let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Can I just say never ever choose IFA membership services fibre. Absolute horrible pack of liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

This is probably a well-worn story, but I'm trying to find the best solution:

I've been with Eir Broadband for three years now. I'm in a village in rural Wexford which only has Fibre To The Cabinet. As a result, I get a maximum download speed of around 24Mbps which varies throughout the day, often dropping to 8Mbps or lower. The village is not included in the Rural Broadband rollout plan and repeated complaints and queries to Eir asking when fibre to the house will be available always get the same reply - "I'm afraid we don't know". So I'm paying the same monthly price as people enjoying >120Mbps, but getting an unacceptable service myself. I've had an Eir engineer out to check the line and he told me that it's capable of delivering 40Mbps. He had no explanation for why it doesn't get anywhere near that.

So I've finally run out of patience and any hope of getting full fibre and am now looking at my options. As far as I can see, I have to go wireless, which means either 5G or Starlink. Both appear to offer similar speeds in the region of 120Mbps in my location. If I sign up with 3 Mobile Broadband they will send an engineer to install the router and an outside antenna at no additional cost. The Starlink system installation looks pretty straightforward also. Usage-wise, I move a lot of large photographic files around and also stream TV, Netflix, Prime, etc.

Does anyone have experience of the Starlink service or 3 Broadband for similar uses, or are there other options I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Starlink will give you in excess of 120 Mbps, up to double or more.

I don't have it myself but my SIL uses it for WFH for a major multinational since last summer. They dropped their landline phone/internet & satellite broadband. For home phone they use VoIP over Starlink.

No issues to date.

Advertisement