Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

Ricta wrote: »
    I bought an IP65 rated box in my local Topline hardware store, 100mm x 100mm x 50mm. and some 16mm x 40 mm trunking in B&Q for the external work. Woodies or B&Q (can't remember) also had Brick Buster Cable Entry covers which could cover the hole.

I recessed the IP65 box into the wall, I have external wall insulation, you could surface mount it and run trunking up to it.

For internal cabling along skirting, I got D-Line 16x8 mm trunking and a bag of various corners/joints in B&Q

Thanks for that - very neat job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Fabarm wrote: »
    Thanks for that - very neat job

Yes. Better than many of the professional installs we have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

d31b0y wrote: »
    How many minutes? Vodafone used to do this but the number of minutes assigned was higher than the number of minutes in a month.

I tried viewing it now, but i just get an endless buffering saying getting last bill, Il post it when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Update from the Inch St. Lawernce exchange. Yesterday on my line in Bohermore and Inch St.Lawernce North they were putting up the last of the Splice boxes and connecting up to the exchange. Today some senior OpenEir staff are inspecting all the splice boxes for signal. So far so good. There is now a wait from Comreg before they can sanction ready for selling which the staff say could be over a months time.
    Elsewhere they where activity in Lunddenbeg about half way between the Exchange and Ballyneety village. They were connecting Fibre cables from the Cul de sac roads serving Killcullen West and Luden graveyard. No splices boxes yet between Caherconlish and Beary's Cross on the main road towards Limerick City. Only one or 2 splices boxes up with many more to be installed in the Boher area. I reckon there should be some activity in those two areas as I post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

Can anyone give me a head's up please - I have my eircom master socket in the hallway & my landline phone sockets & alarm landline speech dialler are spliced from there.
    If I install open eir's FTTH, will I lose the use of the alarm speechdialler & existing phone sockets ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Can anyone give me a head's up please - I have my eircom master socket in the hallway & my landline phone sockets & alarm landline speech dialler are spliced from there.
    If I install open eir's FTTH, will I lose the use of the alarm speechdialler & existing phone sockets ?
    Thanks

I presume your copper line would be retained. I don't think your present phone installation would be touched. It will look like that there is a second line coming into your house wether it is overhead or by duct depending what way your copper comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Only if you change your telephone service over to VOIP/VOBB, which is via fibre access.

How many minutes? Vodafone used to do this but the number of minutes assigned was higher than the number of minutes in a month.

Attached a screen-grab of parent's Eir a/c allowances. Calls to Irish landlines aren't included in the section, so I'm guessing it's the only type of call that actually is unlimited.

I see my minutes are lower, Im on the Unlimited Local/UK and Mobile calls

Has anyone found a manual way to fix the slow webpages/loading issue for older devices? Without the use of the app DN Set? I was reading up that if you set a static ip for the phone it may help. One of the phones in my household wasnt working well with the fibre, it can only use the 2.4g. I installed DN set as suggested on this forum, it works well now but the fact it says network activity monitored puts me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

Pangea wrote: »
    Has anyone found a manual way to fix the slow webpages/loading issue for older devices? Without the use of the app DN Set? I was reading up that if you set a static ip for the phone it may help. One of the phones in my household wasnt working well with the fibre, it can only use the 2.4g. I installed DN set as suggested on this forum, it works well now but the fact it says network activity monitored puts me off.

This guy claims he got it working without dnset.

https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/slow-wifi-coming-from-the-f2000-router-292049

oleras wrote: »
    My order is stalled due to a lack of ports...

Considering this is a ftth installation and noone is even connected on the Patrickswell exchange.

Something dodge going on by making areas live on the map when reality they are not.

It's the lies that p1sses me off.

oleras can you check your premises on the DCCAE map? They have updated it with eir's claimed Q2 premises. It would be interesting to see if your home is dark blue meaning you should be live.

Also can anyone else who suffered the "allowed to order but not live" experience check also please?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

oleras can you check your premises on the DCCAE map? They have updated it with eir's claimed Q2 premises. It would be interesting to see if your home is dark blue meaning you should be live.

Also can anyone else who suffered the "allowed to order but not live" experience check also please?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

My home is dark blue on there, had the product sold to us by an agent, and eventually after numerous cancellations got full installation. The service still isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

My home is in the BLUE area alright and I have no problem'ordering' FTTH with the providers available. I cancelled my original order with Eir, who kept maintaining it was live and ready to go when the evidence (or lack thereof) on the poles outside indicated otherwise.

There are some splice boxes in position now, but no other activity and no one I know getting connected. Since I can't prove that my defunct order is not being fulfilled, is there any point in emailing the address given? I'm reluctant to reinstate the order until I know it can be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

RoYoBo wrote: »
    My home is in the BLUE area alright and I have no problem'ordering' FTTH with the providers available. I cancelled my original order with Eir, who kept maintaining it was live and ready to go when the evidence (or lack thereof) on the poles outside indicated otherwise.

There are some splice boxes in position now, but no other activity and no one I know getting connected. Since I can't prove that my defunct order is not being fulfilled, is there any point in emailing the address given? I'm reluctant to reinstate the order until I know it can be fulfilled.
    I would definitely email open eir they should be able to tell you if it live or not.

My home is dark blue on there, had the product sold to us by an agent, and eventually after numerous cancellations got full installation. The service still isn't working.

As in it has never worked? Surely it must be live if they actually installed.

RoYoBo wrote: »

If you mean emailing the Department to complain I don't imagine you'll get far. As Rob said probably best to contact Openeir to hopefully get a more definite date.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Do any of the FTTH providers offer actual unlimited data? Or any with more than 1TB limit. And are any of these national providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ricta

eir Talk Unlimited Mobile & UK
    different minutes again, this is with the 150Mbps bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As in it has never worked? Surely it must be live if they actually installed.

KN engineer told us after finishing the installation yesterday that there was a problem with the ports and it would take up to a week to get sorted. I'm not sure why they would finish the installation if this is the case but that's what we were told.

We're now completely without phone or Internet since this morning because of this, it's pretty frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fibre rolling out in my area at the moment, had a first look at the aerial cabling being installed

UND1534 manufactured by Acome in France
    Single-mode fibre G652D (N8228A)
    36 Fibres (3x12)
    O.D. 8.3mm

Can anyone with FTTH installed identify the 2 strand fibre drop-cable used from pole to ODP, suspect it might be UNB1629 or UNB1630

DSC_0039.jpg

Disassembled an offcut of the cable

untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of Aramid yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

http://www.acome.fr/index.php/en/Telecoms2/Telecoms-and-Infrastructures-Networks/Products-and-Systems/Optical-FTTH-access-network

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We have our very own Clouseau it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

rob808 wrote: »
    I would definitely email open eir they should be able to tell you if it live or not.
    If you mean emailing the Department to complain I don't imagine you'll get far. As Rob said probably best to contact Openeir to hopefully get a more definite date.

Yes, I have emailed OpenEir and they've said November is the best estimate. It's only Eir and the other sellers that are telling me I can get it now because the map says yes and my Eircode and number both pass.

Resigned to waiting now, but I hate all the lies and subterfuge ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Cush wrote: »
    ...the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

/fibre nerd mode

Strictly speaking: blue, orange, green, brown, slate, white, red, black, yellow, violet, rose, and aqua. The fibres are numbered 1-12 in that order, as are the loose tubes they're in. So the blue tube contains fibres 1-12, the orange contains 13-24, and the green contains 25-36.

You can see how this approach allows easy identification of up to 144 fibres in a single cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Does that mean one of the cables that you see on the road has a capacity of 144 users?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

The mobile broadband seems to have got a lot slower in the last few months in my area. This could be as more people switch to the same provider.

Or possibly related to ftth going live in our exchange a few months back ? Do the mobile masts feed back into the exchange and now have to contend with more traffic as a result of ftth users using more traffic ?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Does that mean one of the cables that you see on the road has a capacity of 144 users?
    It's not that simple. Some cables have a single fibre per customer; others have fibres that feed splitters, each of which will feed multiple customers. There are also different numbers of fibres in different cables.
    Blogin wrote: »
    The mobile broadband seems to have got a lot slower in the last few months in my area. This could be as more people switch to the same provider.

Or possibly related to ftth going live in our exchange a few months back ? Do the mobile masts feed back into the exchange and now have to contend with more traffic as a result of ftth users using more traffic ?
    Mobile masts have their own backhaul networks. Mobile networks don't contend with fixed line traffic.

If your mobile network has slowed down, it's probably because of people using their mobile devices and dongles for more and more data-intensive applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

vintagevrs wrote: »

The cable openEir is using along the roads has only 36 Fiber's, however that cable company manufacturers a cable with 144 Fiber's, each fiber in the cable can be split up to 32 times, depends on the amount of houses at a DP (black box on pole or in manhole). Eir are using a combination of 8 way splitter box's and 4 way splitter box's to acheive the 32:1 spit. 1152 (36 x 32) potential connections per fiber route. However from what I have read in this thread they are only using 24 of the fiber's and the other 12 will be used to extend out further when the NBP is activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Yes, I am dark blue.

The reps here keep mentioning that there isnt a port available in the cabinet or exchange.

can anyone who knows how this is wired up on the eir side explain if ports are used for FTTH ?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Yes, I am dark blue.

The reps here keep mentioning that there isnt a port available in the cabinet or exchange.

can anyone who knows how this is wired up on the eir side explain if ports are used for FTTH ?

I've only heard about ports in the context of the DPs on poles or in manholes. Each DP has a number of ports, and each port is assigned to an eircode at design stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement