Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Fair enough! As long as the customer is aware that what they are getting is essentially a heavily discounted promotion for 18 months then I don't see any issues.

We clearly label it as promotion. And the original pricing is also still on the website.

We also state: "available until 20.11.2018, free router, free install, standard pricing applies after 18 months".

But that date may be extended and the promotion may be available past November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

We clearly label it as promotion. And the original pricing is also still on the website.

We also state: "available until 20.11.2018, free router, free install, standard pricing applies after 18 months".

But that date may be extended and the promotion may be available past November.

I was referring more to your Red competitor!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

I was referring more to your Red competitor!

We can't account for our competitors. I guess the best approach is, that if the pricing differs from what is advertised, that you always get it in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

hi all,

just looking for advice currently have virgin naked 240mb (still in cooling period).

Have been offered vodafone/siro broadband for cheaper and speed up to 1000mb.

To be honest it almost sounds to good to be true, whats the catch? would i be mad not to switch over?

thanks

Are you aware that a new fibre cable will have to be brought inside your premises? This may involve drilling through the exterior of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 84john

Would anyone have any idea what the best provider in Athy is? Over the Dublin road side in the older estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Currently with Virgin and sick of paying a tv/bb package I don't need. Cheapest they've offered me is €59 after 6 months (6 months price is irrelevant to me. I just want to know what I'll pay after that) Pure Telecom offered me €41.50 a month. But at speeds of 80mbps as opposed to Virgin's (advertised but never reached) 240 mbps. Would I be mad to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

The Wife wrote: »
    Currently with Virgin and sick of paying a tv/bb package I don't need. Cheapest they've offered me is €59 after 6 months (6 months price is irrelevant to me. I just want to know what I'll pay after that) Pure Telecom offered me €41.50 a month. But at speeds of 80mbps as opposed to Virgin's (advertised but never reached) 240 mbps. Would I be mad to move?

Yes you would. You can drop the TV if you wish. Broadband deals are on this link

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/?intcmp=072P

Pure Telecom speeds are up to 80MB and will depend on the quality of your phone line. If fibre to the home (FTTH) becomes available either from SIRO or Eir then switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

cunnijo wrote: »
    Yes you would. You can drop the TV if you wish. Broadband deals are on this link

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/?intcmp=072P

Pure Telecom speeds are up to 80MB and will depend on the quality of your phone line. If fibre to the home (FTTH) becomes available either from SIRO or Eir then switch.

Why do you think I shouldn't? Speeds?

The Wife wrote: »
    Why do you think I shouldn't? Speeds?

Yes speeds is one. There is no guarantee you will get anywhere near the 80MB quoted by Pure, as they depend on the quality of the phone lines in your area which belong to Eir and that other bad word contention. Ask a friend or neighbour who does not have Virgin and has fibre from Pure or Eir and guage their feelings about their service.

If you are not getting close to the 240mb from Virgin as you mention then it might be an idea to get an engineer out to check your connection and modem and see if anything can be done to improve it.

Also as I mentioned if you are in an area listed for FTTH from either Eir wholesale or SIRO then wait and go that route. You will get the service you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I currently have 24MB DSL and previously had FTTH with Magnet (it was part of a pilot scheme a good few years ago).

I'm looking to move back to FTTH, but when I look at the checker on eir's website (or indeed any of the other providers), it states that FTTH is not available. Yet if I check every other house in our estate its available. The fibre cabinet is at the end of our driveway, 10m from the house.

I'm assuming that the issue is somehow due to partaking in the pilot with Magnet, but I can't see why I shouldn't be able to get it considering there is already a functioning fibre line into the house! When I was signing up for the DSL, I was asking about FTTH and the response I got from them, was computer says no.

So does anyone know who I can contact to get this looked at, presuming its some sort of computer glitch?

• Advertisement

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I currently have 24MB DSL and previously had FTTH with Magnet (it was part of a pilot scheme a good few years ago).

I'm looking to move back to FTTH, but when I look at the checker on eir's website (or indeed any of the other providers), it states that FTTH is not available. Yet if I check every other house in our estate its available. The fibre cabinet is at the end of our driveway, 10m from the house.

I'm assuming that the issue is somehow due to partaking in the pilot with Magnet, but I can't see why I shouldn't be able to get it considering there is already a functioning fibre line into the house! When I was signing up for the DSL, I was asking about FTTH and the response I got from them, was computer says no.

So does anyone know who I can contact to get this looked at, presuming its some sort of computer glitch?

If every house in your estate can avail of FTTH and you cannot because of a trial a couple of years ago it seems possible Eir might be a bit peeved (even though the fibre was installed by them?) and if this is the case then it may be necessary to contact Comreg and seek their help.

https://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cunnijo wrote: »
    If every house in your estate can avail of FTTH and you cannot because of a trial a couple of years ago it seems possible Eir might be a bit peeved (even though the fibre was installed by them?) and if this is the case then it may be necessary to contact Comreg and seek their help.

That's unfortunately the wrong answer there.

The answer is in the explanation of what was said: "had FTTH with Magnet (it was part of a pilot scheme a good few years ago)."

This was Magnets OWN trial of FTTH on Magnets OWN infrastructure. Only Magnet can provide FTTH on that infrastructure.

It has nothing to do with Eir. There is no point trying to get Eir or any other provider than Magnet to provide FTTH on said fiber.

Talk to Magnet and see, if it's still available and a product, they supply.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

The answer is in the explanation of what was said: "had FTTH with Magnet (it was part of a pilot scheme a good few years ago)."

This was Magnets OWN trial of FTTH on Magnets OWN infrastructure. Only Magnet can provide FTTH on that infrastructure.

It has nothing to do with Eir. There is no point trying to get Eir or any other provider than Magnet to provide FTTH on said fiber.

/M

You may be right with that. That would be a pain if it is the case!

You may be right with that. That would be a pain if it is the case!

That IS the case. The other hint is "years ago". Magnet was one of the first to trial a PON based FTTH service in Ireland, with IPTV and all. Long before Eircom had the intentions of going down that route.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

/M[/quote
    So why can't eir run a new fibre cable from the cabinet especially as it's only at the end of his driveway

ellobee wrote: »
    So why can't eir run a new fibre cable from the cabinet especially as it's only at the end of his driveway

OpenEir don't do fibre out of the cabinets. They only do copper from there.

All FTTH connections from OpenEIR are coming from the exchange directly.

Cabinets are fiber-fed, yes, but it's for the VDSL (FTTC = Fiber to the cabinet) gear, that's in there. The FTTH gear is completely different from that. Different system, different infrastructure.

And the Magnet fibre would be in Magnets ducts. OpenEIR can't use them. They need to use their own ducts. Fiber infrastructure will probably not be in place there yet.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

OpenEir don't do fibre out of the cabinets. They only do copper from there.

All FTTH connections from OpenEIR are coming from the exchange directly.

Cabinets are fiber-fed, yes, but it's for the VDSL (FTTC = Fiber to the cabinet) gear, that's in there. The FTTH gear is completely different from that. Different system, different infrastructure.

And the Magnet fibre would be in Magnets ducts. OpenEIR can't use them. They need to use their own ducts. Fiber infrastructure will probably not be in place there yet.

/M
    Sorry maybe I'm missing something here jazzyj said that the eir website said that ftth was available to his neighbours and I presume his neighbours didn't have fibre Installed previously by a different supplier. So new ducting and cabling would have to be installed for his neighbours sowhy can't new ducting and cabling be installed for jazzyj.

/M

Magnet (and whoever was partnering with them on the installation) were using the existing ducting for the installation though. However, they did end up having to run a new duct to my house as the existing one was blocked by tree roots.
    ellobee wrote: »
    Sorry maybe I'm missing something here jazzyj said that the eir website said that ftth was available to his neighbours and I presume his neighbours didn't have fibre Installed previously by a different supplier. So new ducting and cabling would have to be installed for his neighbours so why can't new ducting and cabling be installed for jazzyj.

That's what I don't get. All the other houses on my road that I've checked show up with FTTH available on the checker whether there is a fibre line into their houses or not.

I'm really just trying to figure out who is best to call to get it resolved!

Magnet (and whoever was partnering with them on the installation) were using the existing ducting for the installation though. However, they did end up having to run a new duct to my house as the existing one was blocked by tree roots.

The ducting from the road to your house can be your property and is so in most of the cases. So they can use that.

Magnet can also have rented ducting from OpenEIR to run their fiber in, but they would have their own sub-duct inside that and OpenEIR can not touch or interfere with that. It's Magnets duct and Magnets fiber. No other provider has access to that unless the make agreements with Magnet.
    That's what I don't get. All the other houses on my road that I've checked show up with FTTH available on the checker whether there is a fibre line into their houses or not.

I'm really just trying to figure out who is best to call to get it resolved!

You can try PM me your Eircode, if you want and I can have a look. I have access to some of the fiber information.

/M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone with sky?
    My eir contract ends today and they refuse to offer totally unlimited to existing customers.
    Im wondering is it wise to jump ship to sky or are they dodgy as they were when they first arrived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone with sky?
    My eir contract ends today and they refuse to offer totally unlimited to existing customers.
    Im wondering is it wise to jump ship to sky or are they dodgy as they were when they first arrived?
    I was with Sky for a year on so, They will give you a good offer for a year and then jack up the price, If you have TV with them, ask them to bundle it, After a year eir will give you a good offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iirishsham40

Hi all

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated:

I'm with Sky Broadband in Drogheda, but want to change provider to one that lets me edit the DNS settings in the router. This is so I can use Open DNS FamilyShield to keep the little ones a bit safer online.

Can anyone recommend a provider that lets you change the DNS settings in their router, or ever any providers that let you use your own router.

I was not surprised by the "your call is important to us, but you can't do anything" stock response that I got from Sky customer serivce. Once they have you as a customer, they don't care, and they jack up the price. I know most providers are a bit like this but, Sky are the most indifferent to customer queries that I've ever encountered.

Thanks

iirishsham40

I'm with Sky Broadband in Drogheda, but want to change provider to one that lets me edit the DNS settings in the router. This is so I can use Open DNS FamilyShield to keep the little ones a bit safer online.

Any of the providers on this list should be able to service you: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ , if it's VDSL (FTTC) you have. Net1 or Airwire are a bit more tech savvy, so that might be a plan. Don't think that Digiweb has a problem with you changing DNS either.

Also, SIRO has been rolled out in Drogheda, check here, if you're covered: https://siro.ie/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

It's just come to my attention I'm getting screwed with Eir for Phone and VDSL. They are offering new customers half the price of what I'm paying. Time to look at other options.

What current providers for VDSL, pay little attention to caps and allow modem bridging?

I'd have gone for Virgin Media, but have heard about the problems with the new Intel based routers they provide now.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

We just got Virgin Media but having issues with the installation due to the coaxial cable. Our modem is upstairs and the phone line is in the front hall but the wall socket is in the sitting room - away from both. Previously with Eir so this wasn't an issue.

Which led me here and some of the first things I saw were people saying how crap the new model of the modem (white VM Hub) was, and to stay away. So I got spooked. Especially with having to get an engineer out to fix the situation. Just got the modem today so we have 14 days now as a cooling off period to get out.

Started to look into Digiweb and see they have SIRO here. Was not aware of this. I've been waiting to see if their live chat is working but nothing so far, so said I'd ask here. What's peoples thoughts on them? Are they good? They seem too good to be true, lol! And do I need a big installation/coaxial cable for their electric broadband? I know it doesn't run off copper wires, but I just want to be sure.

Any help is appreciated!

What current providers for VDSL, pay little attention to caps and allow modem bridging?

Again .. in this case: all the providers with a square logo: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Compare pricing, then research, if they're a good fit for your demand, technically.

Some may only offer you a connection if you're regional to them.

/M

Started to look into Digiweb and see they have SIRO here. Was not aware of this. I've been waiting to see if their live chat is working but nothing so far, so said I'd ask here. What's peoples thoughts on them? Are they good? They seem too good to be true, lol! And do I need a big installation/coaxial cable for their electric broadband? I know it doesn't run off copper wires, but I just want to be sure.

Any help is appreciated!

There are multiple providers on SIRO (SIRO only deliver the last mile, every provider is a bit different when it comes to quality, what router they provide, etc.). Go to https://siro.ie/ , click on SIRO Roll-Out, pick your county and pick your city/town. That'll tell you who locally is available and if it's available for your eircode.

There is no coax involved with SIRO at all. Digiweb calling it "Electric Broadband" is just marketing. It's 100% fibre all the way into your house. It's just brought in along the power lines.

It may require drilling in some cases to bring the fibre into your house. Be aware of that.

There is a big SIRO thread here on boards, too ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131437 ), which you can have a read through or participate in the discussion specificly to SIRO and the providers on SIRO.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

There are multiple providers on SIRO (SIRO only deliver the last mile, every provider is a bit different when it comes to quality, what router they provide, etc.). Go to https://siro.ie/ , click on SIRO Roll-Out, pick your county and pick your city/town. That'll tell you who locally is available and if it's available for your eircode.

There is no coax involved with SIRO at all. Digiweb calling it "Electric Broadband" is just marketing. It's 100% fibre all the way into your house. It's just brought in along the power lines.

It may require drilling in some cases to bring the fibre into your house. Be aware of that.

There is a big SIRO thread here on boards, too ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131437 ), which you can have a read through or participate in the discussion specificly to SIRO and the providers on SIRO.

/M

That's great info, thank you. I asked over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In a bit of a quandry, Eir tried to install fibre but it cant be done (Wicklow) and as things stand Im not even getting a mobile signal (also Eir network) in the house dont mind getting 3G. I get 3G if I walk about 50 metres from the house. Siro isnt rolled out here either. So what are my options? Is there some sort of boosting device I can buy to enhance the 3G signal?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In a bit of a quandry, Eir tried to install fibre but it cant be done (Wicklow) and as things stand Im not even getting a mobile signal (also Eir network) in the house dont mind getting 3G. I get 3G if I walk about 50 metres from the house. Siro isnt rolled out here either. So what are my options? Is there some sort of boosting device I can buy to enhance the 3G signal?

When you say Eir tried to install fibre .. what are you talking about ?

VDSL (fibre to the cabinet.. which should not be labelled fibre at all !!)

FTTH ?

Why did it fail ?

And if there was an option like that, why on earth would you consider any mobile option at all instead of fixing whatever problem you have?

/M

Advertisement